• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/19 - 5/25

kottila

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Previous week -> This week
PSP: 54.000 -> 55.000 (+1000)
Wii: 44.000 -> 45.000 (+1000)
DSL: 36.000 -> 37.000 (+1000)
PS3: 8.100 -> 8.700 (+600)
PS2: 6.600 -> 6.600 (0)
360: 1.700 -> 1.700 (0)

Mindblowing changes this week eh? Going by PSP bump despite releases, Shiren 3 putting Wii ahead of it wouldn't be a big surprise.

What's the expected sales of NG2 vs Shiren 3? Whats the numbers for old entries in the series?

marc^o^ said:
The most remarkable thing to look at in these charts is the sales of the wiiboard.

The sales of WiiFit cement week after week the mass market appeal of this new control method. When Nintendo announced a Revolution, had they the wii board in mind? Cause the more this peripheral sells, the more likely its physical input will be used in future games. And it may revolutionize the way we play games indeed. I can't wait to see an action/adventure game based on it for instance.

WiiFit is a game, bundled with an ultra versatile physical controller, with tremendous potential in all kinds of genres. To the people who still want to see the wii as a GC: the wiiboard is a reality, its technology is a reality. And its sales are real. Games using it are coming. And gaming is evolving into something really different.

This is what these charts inspire me :)

Here, here!! I agree

jarrod

Banned
cress2000 said:
I've never heard of this. But I do seem to clearly recall reading a post from Victor Ireland on the Working Designs forum years ago mentioning that he tried to acquire a license for ToD2 and was (of course) cockblocked by Namco.
Looking it up... I've actually found the old GAF thread!! :lol

Ah... simpler days.

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Previous NG entries did something around 100-130k, IIRC.

Dunno about Shiren.
Quick & dirty from JGC...

Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2: Oni Shuurai Shiren Shiro! (N64) 117.982 (283.991)
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren Gaiden: Jokenji Asuka Kenzan! (DC) 25.512 (50.750)
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS (DS) 79.932 (195.052)

...no idea about the SFC/GB games though?

jarrod said:
Quick & dirty from JGC...

Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2: Oni Shuurai Shiren Shiro! (N64) 117.982 (283.991)
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren Gaiden: Jokenji Asuka Kenzan! (DC) 25.512 (50.750)
Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS (DS) 79.932 (195.052)

...no idea about the SFC/GB games though?
Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fūrai no Shiren (SFC) 99.678 (196.195)

Numbers till 12/24/1995

Captain Smoker said:
Finally. ;)
1.) Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 3 (PSP) 109.000 [109.000]
2.) Endless Frontier: Super Robot Wars OG Saga (NDS) 90.000 [90.000]
4.) D.C. II P.S. (PS2) 45.000 [45.000]
7.) Family Trainer (Wii) 37.000 [37.000]
8.) Valhalla Knights 2 (PSP) 35.000 [35.000]
9.) Mana-Khemia 2 (PS2) 31.000 [31.000]
10.) Clanned (PSP) 29.000 [29.000]
11.) Beatmania II DX 14 GOLD (PS2) 22.000 [22.000]
12.) Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness (NDS) 20.000 [20.000]
Thanks.

Good Powapuro performance after first day sales. Family Trainer almost quadruples first day sales - guess Shinobi was a bit too fast labelling it "bomb". FM and Beatmania double first day numbers as well - not bad.

kswiston said:
I doubt it. Mario Kart Wii bumped Wii sales by all of 1500 units on the Media Create charts. Considering Shiren will be lucky if its LTD ends up being half of what MKWiis first week was, I don't think we will see any bump in Wii sales beyond statistical noise.
On the other hand MK is a staple franchise, a game like Shiren could give an incentive for people to go out and buy a Wii for it on launch. People that like MK most likely already had a Wii or are not in a hurry to get one. Then again Shiren's fanbase is rather limited so in the end it could make no difference at all.

I do think that a game like ToS will bump the Wii more than MK Wii, although the latter is by far the bigger game (in terms of sales).

duckroll said:
Okay, so in conclusion, there should be no expectation of NG2 vs Shiren 3 at all. it's not remotely comparable.

NG2 could go a bit higher because 360 install base is already bigger than Xbox LTD, but I think it`ll do a similar 35K first week with slightly longer legs.

kswiston

duckroll said:
Okay, so in conclusion, there should be no expectation of NG2 vs Shiren 3 at all. it's not remotely comparable.

They could be fairly close in Week 1 but not at all close in LTD. Big 360 games seem to be really frontloaded in Japan. Halo 3 made 80% of its LTD in Week 1. Ace Combat made 70% of its LTD in Week 1. Even DoA4 made 60% of its LTD in Week 1 and it had the advantage of being a (near) launch title

Edit: I'm going to guess 55k opening/80k LTD for NG2. Shiren 3 should be higher, but we've seen quite a few third party franchises underperform on the Wii already, so I wouldn't be surprised it it debuts lower than previous titles.

wazoo

marc^o^ said:
WiiFit is a game, bundled with an ultra versatile physical controller, with tremendous potential in all kinds of genres. To the people who still want to see the wii as a GC: the wiiboard is a reality, its technology is a reality. And its sales are real. Games using it are coming. And gaming is evolving into something really different.

This is what these charts inspire me :)

I'm more inspired by the wiimote than the wiiboard. How many games can you make with the wiiboard, a skate game, a surf game, a rabbid game where you play surf, what else ??

botticus

wazoo said:
I'm more inspired by the wiimote than the wiiboard. How many games can you make with the wiiboard, a skate game, a surf game, a rabbid game where you play surf, what else ??
I'm waiting for an FPS with analog leaning.

jarrod

Banned
Shiren 3's a full fledged marquee sequel though, which we haven't seen much of on Wii 3rd party wise. I'm pretty curious to see how it does...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
wazoo said:
What about action games on a hover board? Racing games using the wii wheel and the wii board as pedals? Wave Race using your body to lean among the waves? Etc.

Tmac said:
Im wondering. As the 360 is already pretty low, why microsft dont slash the price tag in japan to about half normal price? It's already selling terrible bad, it wont affect much their earnings, and might give a much needed boost before it dies for good.
You ask: Why don't they cut price? It won't hurt much since nobody's buying them anyway.

I ask: Why cut price? It won't help much and they'll lose a few million more yen per week than necessary.
kswiston said:
Do I see 4 PSP titles in the top 10? When is the last time that happened?
If my query is correct, the only time it's happened (unless it did on a double-week which isn't as well documented in my data) is the week of 2007-09-24 with Crisis Core, MGS Portable Ops +, Yu-Gi-Oh GX Tag Force 2, and a Legend of Heroes game.
kswiston said:
I doubt it. Mario Kart Wii bumped Wii sales by all of 1500 units on the Media Create charts. Considering Shiren will be lucky if its LTD ends up being half of what MKWiis first week was, I don't think we will see any bump in Wii sales beyond statistical noise.
The obvious counterargument is that MK Wii was selling to a Nintendo audience already well-established on Wii, while the "Mysterious Dungeon" crowd is largely untapped, apart from Chocobo's. Though yes, it's a much smaller group to tap.
duckroll said:
100-130k in Japan on the Xbox? Are you sure? :lol
Here's what I've got from Famitsu. Sigma should get some update when we get the 2007 Top 500.
NG+Sigma

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Very curious about Shiren 3 sales...I'm thinking 60-70K first week.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Jasoncheng said:
And

Fami-Ranking(5/26~6/1)

TOP10
PSP:4
Wii:3
PS2:2
NDS:1

TOP30
NDS:12
Wii:7
PSP:5
PS2:4
XBOX360
PS3:1

Wow, only 12 DS games in the top 30? That's the lowest in a while!

Kuramu

wazoo said:

Your lack of imagination is not Nintendo's problem.

The balance board essentially makes your whole body into an analog stick. How many games can you make with an analog stick?

ccbfan

Jasoncheng said:
I think next week PSP have 2 or 3 games in TOP10

Well the baseball game and MHP2G will definitely be, so that 2 right there.

I doubt the other 2 will be.

So depending on new releases. Its 2 + decent size releases.

Edit

Just checked the release list

with "Medical 91 Portable" being the only release.

Its definitely going to be 2.

Top Bottom