• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii-za said:
Oops!!! Mea culpa...I was thinking 3M and wrote 2M...sorry...

Thanks!

Well honestly..depending on how many Wii's are shipped this Holiday season..perhaps at the end of the year? If it keeps its attach rate it could conceivably happen. (probably not though)

Shipment for Mario Party 8 was 500K-- I would take a gander at it debuting with atleast 300K for the week--- while Minna Golf had a shipment of 300K-- I gander atleast a 50% sold through-- so I wouldnt be surprised if it gets up to 150K for the week. Unfortunately I think Dewy will be lost in the shuffle with 15K.

Hardware wise-- nintendo will probably bump up wii shipment to compete-- I wouldnt be surprised with a 115K wii sold--- and 300% improvement with the PS3 to around in the 35,000 units.

Wii-za

schuelma said:
Well honestly..depending on how many Wii's are shipped this Holiday season..perhaps at the end of the year? If it keeps its attach rate it could conceivably happen. (probably not though)

Well lets see...This last couple of weeks its average has been ~40,000 units/week.

Considering 22 more weeks in 2007...that give us: 40*22= 880,000 units...thats is not considering any 'December boost'...

It is now at 1.9 million...

Mmmmm....barring a 'December boost' we got ~2.8 million...

So...a very real possiblity...well then we have something else to look for!

Things to look for at MC threads during 2007
+Nintendo Top 30
+PS3 game in the Top 30
+PS3 keeping +10,000 sales
+X360 selling more than the PS3
+Wii Sports reaching 3M
+DS surpassing PS2 LTD
+Wii surpassing GC LTD
+NSMB becoming the second best selling Mario game ever
+Phantom Hourglass becoming the best selling Zelda game ever
+Pokemon D/P > Pokemon R/S
+PSP 2nd million seller (FF7:CC?)
+DQ9 debut (Best launch for a 3rd party game on handheld?)

Excellent!!!

Anything else I'm missing???

Fixed! :D

JavyOO7

Taker666 said:
Dewey will be a massive bomb.

It's currently 771 in the gaming charts and 26 in the Wii chart at Amazon Japan. I doubt it will make the top 50.

god damn it. sent to ****ing DIE

o_O at the idea that Wii Sports could already be hitting 3 million this year. Yowch!

ethelred said:
You are all terrible people. Square Enix is never going to make a new franchise again, and it's all your fault.

:(

We didn't get any actual preorder shipment news about IAWW, right? I'm really hoping to see this game be an unqualified success, and I'll be there day 1 for the US release.

LanceStern said:
I wish people on here woudl stop saying "You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about"

Would "You have no goddamn clue what the hell you're talking about" be better?

Pellham

Banned
ethelred said:
You are all terrible people. Square Enix is never going to make a new franchise again, and it's all your fault.

good. their original games suck anyway. bring on more DQ, FF, and SaGa plz.

Wii-za said:
Things to look for at MC threads during 2007
+Nintendo Top 30
+PS3 game in the Top 30
+PS3 keeping +10,000 sales
+X360 selling more than the PS3
+Wii Sports reaching 3M

Excellent!!!

Anything else I'm missing???

+DS surpassing PS2 LTD
+Wii surpassing GC LTD
+3rd parties selling on Wii

Kenka

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Al 'ghè nissiun che 'l vora parlà un po in Ticines ?

Are you swiss ?

charlequin said:
o_O at the idea that Wii Sports could already be hitting 3 million this year. Yowch!

What other title could steal the crown and manage to be the best selling game of the year ? IMHO SMG and SSBB are not able to catch up.

Wii-za

offtopic:

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Al 'ghè nissiun che 'l vora parlà un po in Ticines ?

A Lingua Lombarda?

E' parlato in Svizzera nel Canton Ticino, in parte del Canton Grigioni e in alcune zone italiane confinanti.

The fact is my Italian is very poor...my french is a little bit better...and my spanish is perfect! :D

Mithos, you are Italian, right?
/offtopic

Ok so what else are we waiting for people!!!

schuelma

Wii-za said:
Can this really happen this year?

How far it is?

It's a million behind..I'd say its pretty much a certainty.

Kenka

Gekkonidae said:
+DS surpassing PS2 LTD
+Wii surpassing GC LTD

The last on won't happen since OOT sold something like 1.4 million.

Wii can easily sell about 350'000 a month 'till Jan 08. This would guarantee it to pass GC LTD this very year. Impressive.

Wii-za

AnimeTheme said:
For a week...?

Thats right.

Oh and concerning PH...OOT 1.4 million...it could theoretically happen...

It has been in th 40k-50k range, if it continues like that during the rest of the year...that is...

22*40= 880,000
22*50= 1.1M

It is at 630k...so even in the case of a 40k average and barring any 'December boost'...it can theoretically reach 1.5M units...

Lightning

Banned
Deku said:
The PS3 strategy is predicated on 1st party killer apps selling the console. And one wonders where that leaves 3rd parties. Their games clearly aren't selling and they face increased competition from Sony's internal efforts precisely because Sony is in a panic and feel they can't rely on their third parties to provide those titles for them.
Sony are still relying on Final Fantasy XIII, Versus XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 to get the job done.

Sony also made it clear that they were putting a lot more money into 1st/2nd party games as they cannot compete with Microsofts moneyhatting and that they needed to be able to survive when the 3rd parties inevitably turned their backs which is exactly what a lot of some of them did (Namco, Rockstar, Capcom) come to mind straight away.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
New Super Mario Bros. is already the second best selling Mario game in Japan. The only thing to look forward to is seeing if it really can topple the original Super Mario Bros., but considering it's nearly 2 million behind that game's figure I wouldn't list it as a potential highlight of 2007.

Save it for next year.

schuelma

MasterMFauli said:
So no talk about tihs week´s hardware numbers? Or did i overlook them?

Those don't come until tonight

Deku

Banned
Lightning said:
Sony are still relying on Final Fantasy XIII, Versus XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 to get the job done.

Sony also made it clear that they were putting a lot more money into 1st/2nd party games as they cannot compete with Microsofts moneyhatting and that they needed to be able to survive when the 3rd parties inevitably turned their backs which is exactly what a lot of some of them did (Namco, Rockstar, Capcom) come to mind straight away.

THey are hoping it will get the job done but its hypothetical and none of the games will make it out in time. A quick glance at this year's holiday line up says otherwise.

FF13,V 13 also have flaky or unknown release dates and they are only two titles. Sony might still be publishing the bulk of the big titles for the PS3 this time next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lightning said:
3rd parties inevitably turned their backs which is exactly what a lot of some of them did (Namco, Rockstar, Capcom) come to mind straight away.

I can sorta agree on Namco (altho i wouldnt exactly call it "turned their backs"), but Rockstar and Capcom?

schuelma

test_account said:
I can agree on Namco (altho i wouldnt exactly call it "turned their backs", but Rockstar and Capcom?

Apparently not giving Sony exclusives means "turning their backs"

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Apparently not giving Sony exclusives means "turning their backs"

Hehe, if thats the case i dont agree. Ok, Devil May Cry was only for Playstation when it comes to consoles, but turning their back on Sony just because its comming to 360 too? I hardly doubt developers make games to be kind to (insert console company here). Money control most of these decitions, not based on friendship etc.

The reason why DMC was only for Playstation (i know its for PC too, but i'm talking about consoles) is probly because it was the most profitable and they might belive it wasnt profitable to port it to other consoles. If Sony and Capcom had a deal that it would be exclusive and Capcom broke it because of a better offer (hypotechical example because i doubt a big company would break a contract like this), then i could sorta agree on "turning their backs".

Wii-za

test_account said:
If Sony and Capcom had a deal that it would be exclusive and Capcom broke it because of a better offer (hypotechical example because i doubt a big company would break a contract like this), then i could sorta agree on "turning their backs".

Weeeeeell....Nintendo and Sony (and maybe Phillips) are looking at you right now...

Remember?

dyls

Gekkonidae said:
+DS surpassing PS2 LTD
+Wii surpassing GC LTD

Too late. 3 of the 5 Wii games in the top 30 are 3rd party this week.

Christine

dyls said:
Too late. 3 of the 5 Wii games in the top 30 are 3rd party this week.

Anything with the DQ name will sell well, Powerpro is a port, and Hudson should really be considered 1st party due to their milking of the Mario Party franchise.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii-za said:
Yep thats right...the whole Play Station fiasco...

I havnt really read up on the story so i dont know what the reason is why it was canceled, but i know that both Sony and Phillips did not go to someone else because they got a better deal. They went their own separate ways. For all i know, maybe Nintendo canceled the whole project themself.

Wii-za

test_account said:
I havnt really read up on the story so i dont know what the reason is why it was canceled, but i know that both Sony and Phillips did not go to someone else because they got a better deal. They went their own separate ways.

Nintendo signed with Sony. Yamauchi didnt liked the contract. Nintendo WENT TO Phillips. Nintendo cancels the contract. Sony is pissed.

But we are going waaay offtopic..

/offtopic

So when can we expect first day number from shinobi for MP8 and MNG5???

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii-za said:
Nintendo signed with Sony. Yamauchi didnt liked the contract. Nintendo WENT TO Phillips. Nintendo cancels the contract. Sony is pissed.

But we are going waaay offtopic..

/offtopic

So when can we expect first day number from shinobi for MP8 and MNG5???

Do you have sources to this that the reason was that he didnt like the contract? Why would Yamauchi, the president of Nintendo at that time, sign a contract with Sony in the first place if he didnt like it? Yamauchi is pretty clever so i doubt he signs a contract that he doesnt like or approve. This is serious and big business so i think the break is based on more than just "not liking the contract". Also feels like you bolded what i said out of context. I said break the contract for a better money offer from another company, not just breaking a contract in generally. I know that can happend for many other reasons.

Shinobi numbers arent out before tomorrow.

laserbeam

Banned
test_account said:
Do you have sources to this that the reason was that he didnt like the contract? Why would the president of Nintendo sign a contract with Sony in the first place if he didnt like it? Yamauchi is pretty clever so i doubt he signs a contract that he doesnt like or approve.

Shinobi numbers arent out before tomorrow.

Sony Slipped into the contract exclusive rights to anything put onto the CD format basically giving them control of lots of franchises to play with if the deal went through.

The Really fun part and totally unheard of aspect of it all is what happened at the end.

Sony had a big Press Conference on the Deal with Nintendo then when it was Nintendos Turn for the Conference they revealed their partnership with Phillips leaving lots of egg on Sonys face.

test_account

XP-39C²
laserbeam said:
Sony Slipped into the contract exclusive rights to anything put onto the CD format basically giving them control of lots of franchises to play with if the deal went through.

The Really fun part and totally unheard of aspect of it all is what happened at the end.

Sony had a big Press Conference on the Deal with Nintendo then when it was Nintendos Turn for the Conference they revealed their partnership with Phillips leaving lots of egg on Sonys face.

So was the contract signed or not? Its not like you can slip things into a signed contract like this if its already signed. Hehe, they might have been egged then, but damn what a good decade they had after this ;)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Funny how Nintendo pretty much created their own enemy by dumping Sony for Phillips, only to have it come full circle, with Sony awakening Nintendo from its slumber with the announcement of the PSP.

laserbeam

Banned
test_account said:
So was the contract signed or not? Its not like you can slip things into a signed contract like this if its already signed. Hehe, they might have been egged then, but damn what a good decade they had after this ;)

Pretty sure it was signed or pretty much gentlemans handshake and on its way to signed. Yamauchi either way did something most japanese buisnessmen would never do. Hard to say Nintendo was wrong as it went against their very strict stance on control of their Franchises.

They certainly lost out not going CD as we saw but they have rebounded pretty well now

Jammy

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
Anything with the DQ name will sell well, Powerpro is a port, and Hudson should really be considered 1st party due to their milking of the Mario Party franchise.

I believe he's talking about Momotarou Dentetsu 16.

If "anything" with the Dragon Quest name on it will sell, why did Slime Mori Mori DQ not do these numbers? Why did Dragon Quest Yangus for PS2 (on a much, much higher userbase) not reach the numbers DQSwords is doing?

And what does Power Pro being a port have to do with anything? Last generation it was a problem that GCN versions of multi-platform games didn't sell up to snuff with their Xbox/PS2 versions. That led to discontinuations of the 2K Sports series, only one game from Rockstar, etc., etc. Now the Wii has the highest selling versions of games like The Bigs, Harry Potter, Tiger Woods, Sonic, etc. and what was once an issue is no longer one anymore.

test_account

XP-39C²
laserbeam said:
Pretty sure it was signed or pretty much gentlemans handshake and on its way to signed. Yamauchi either way did something most japanese buisnessmen would never do. Hard to say Nintendo was wrong as it went against their very strict stance on control of their Franchises.

They certainly lost out not going CD as we saw but they have rebounded pretty well now

If they slipped something in later after the handshake, then thats not what they agreed on so its natural that the deal might be dropped then. The info seems very unclear and based on guessing. It seems like only the internal people in Nintendo and Sony really knew what was going on. Know what your saying, but handshake and signing the actually contract are 2 pretty big different things. Handshaking doesnt really hold up in court.

But anyway, my point was that if a big contract is signed on the paper, i doubt any big companies like i.e Capcom would break a contract they signed just because they get a better money offer later from another company.

Verve

Jammy said:
Now the Wii has the highest selling versions of games like The Bigs, Harry Potter, Tiger Woods, Sonic, etc. and what was once an issue is no longer one anymore.

i will never understand why people talk about sonic and the secret rings as if it was a port/version of the x360/ps3-game. they have nothing in common.

dyls

TwinIonEngines said:

Bravo. I especially enjoyed the Hudson bit, truly inspired.

Jammy

Banned
Verve said:
i will never understand why people talk about sonic and the secret rings as if it was a port/version of the x360/ps3-game. they have nothing in common.

Well then there goes the thought that third party exclusives don't sell on the Wii. :lol

Christine

Jammy said:
I believe he's talking about Momotarou Dentetsu 16.

Yes, so am I. Hudson is tainted by their association with MP, it's clear that they are one of the few publishers that Nintendo will permit to have sales on their platforms. Hudson and SE should both really be considered first party.

Jammy said:
If "anything" with the Dragon Quest name on it will sell, why did Slime Mori Mori DQ not do these numbers? Why did Dragon Quest Yangus for PS2 (on a much, much higher userbase) not reach the numbers DQSwords is doing?

It's a combination of the DQ name, SE's first party status on Nintendo consoles, and Japan's current fad-like obsession with games that play with just the remote. DQS doesn't even use an analog stick, so it can't be any good and shouldn't be taken as an indicator of any long term trends - Japan will wake up and start playing games again.

Jammy said:
And what does Power Pro being a port have to do with anything? Last generation it was a problem that GCN versions of multi-platform games didn't sell up to snuff with their Xbox/PS2 versions. That led to discontinuations of the 2K Sports series, only one game from Rockstar, etc., etc. Now the Wii has the highest selling versions of games like The Bigs, Harry Potter, Tiger Woods, Sonic, etc. and what was once an issue is no longer one anymore.

It sold more on PS2 than Wii. That's a clear indication that the real gamers in Japan still prefer Sony consoles as is right and proper. As soon as PS3 hits a mainstream price the PS2 gamers will switch. Numbers don't lie, PP15 will obviously do better on PS3 than Wii due to gamers' comfort level with the PS brand and associated franchises. Honestly, the game doesn't belong on Wii at all and the publisher knows it, that's why it's not numbered.

KevinRo

TwinIonEngines said:

Or maybe Hudson likes to make party games? Fuzion Frenzy 2??

::shudders::

KINGMOKU

TwinIonEngines said:
Yes, so am I. Hudson is tainted by their association with MP, it's clear that they are one of the few publishers that Nintendo will permit to have sales on their platforms. Hudson and SE should both really be considered first party.

It's a combination of the DQ name, SE's first party status on Nintendo consoles, and Japan's current fad-like obsession with games that play with just the remote. DQS doesn't even use an analog stick, so it can't be any good and shouldn't be taken as an indicator of any long term trends - Japan will wake up and start playing games again.

It sold more on PS2 than Wii. That's a clear indication that the real gamers in Japan still prefer Sony consoles as is right and proper. As soon as PS3 hits a mainstream price the PS2 gamers will switch. Numbers don't lie, PP15 will obviously do better on PS3 than Wii due to gamers' comfort level with the PS brand and associated franchises. Honestly, the game doesn't belong on Wii at all and the publisher knows it, that's why it's not numbered.
:lol

This whole damn post.

The whole damn thing

TwinIonEngines said:
It sold more on PS2 than Wii. That's a clear indication that the real gamers in Japan still prefer Sony consoles as is right and proper.

Um... Okay, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not but I'll just take you seriously for the heck of it.

Are you really basing this on the sales of one game? Have you looked at the rest of the top 30 chart? Wii software appears to be outpacing PS2 software with 1/7th of the userbase.

What's a clear indication of Japanese gaming trends again?

I'm not trying to scare you away if you're being serious really, these topics need more posters like you.

Edit: Reading that again there was no way he was serious. Disregard.

Top Bottom