• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
slaughterking said:
I don't think it's considerably low. I mean it's nothing to brag about either, but pretty much in line with my (admittedly conservative) expectations.

Yeah..its actually somewhat unusual for a game to double its first day numbers. Given what I suspect is the front loaded nature of the demo..errr game, I think the numbers are decent. Should easily clear 200K and probably 250K.

markatisu

Link is just being himself

The truth is MHG almost sold 100% of it's starter pak which coincidentally is what you need to play the game as MHG does NOT work with the wiimote/nunchuck

It's Capcoms fuckup. how can you sell more then you shipped?

The standalone was a port/re-release for the 4th time and I repeat you could not play it with default Wii controls. Who the hell is going to buy that over the starter pack

Also for shits any giggles the shipment was 120k starter and ~90k for standard

Deathsmiles <3

Surely a North American publisher picking this up is probably too much to ask for but prove me wrong Atlus or Aksys or Valcon or whoever else.

markatisu said:
The truth is MHG almost sold 100% of it's starter pak which coincidentally is what you need to play the game as MHG does NOT work with the wiimote/nunchuck

Wrong, AFAIK. It's perfectly playable with the remote/nunchuk combo.

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
Wrong, AFAIK. It's perfectly playable with the remote/nunchuk combo.

Are you sure? I know the MH 3 demo is, but I was sure that the actual MH G was only compatible with CC.

schuelma said:
Are you sure? I know the MH 3 demo is, but I was sure that the actual MH G was only compatible with CC.

I'm pretty sure it is, although now you've said it I must doublecheck!

EDIT:

Just had a quick look and it seems I'm wrong. Apologies!

Opiate

Absolutely terrible bump for Wii hardware. Very poor numbers for MHG for the week overall, imo. The Wii continues to disappoint in Japan.

Enormous drop for the PS3. It was expect to fall, but that is a spectacular fall. It's going to fall below 20k again within a week or two, and then I expect a gradual drop back down to 10k.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Opiate said:
Absolutely terrible bump for Wii hardware. Very poor numbers for MHG for the week overall, imo.

The Wii continues to disappoint in Japan.

Enormous drop for the PS3. It was expect to fall, but that is a spectacular fall. It's going ot fall below 20k again within a week or two.
Wii did alright, it had a bump. But did you expect PS3 to not even fall 50%? This is no suprise at all. Next weeks numbers should be interesting.

It's also good to see some PS3 presence on a more consistent basis in the top 50. Still paltry though.

gtj1092

Kinan said:
MC hardware numbers:

PSP 41,187
DSi 37,495
PS3 23,351
Wii 18,439
Xbox 360 7,016
DS Lite 6,374
PS2 4,524

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

So when when is it appropriate to do the "If you would of told me _X_ years ago that _Y_ console would be out selling _Z_ console at point _A_ in the past you would of been laughed off the board/banned"

markatisu said:
Link is just being himself

It's Capcoms fuckup. how can you sell more then you shipped?

The standalone was a port/re-release for the 4th time and I repeat you could not play it with default Wii controls. Who the hell is going to buy that over the starter pack

Also for shits any giggles the shipment was 120k starter and ~90k for standard

Damn Capcom talk about a boneheaded move.

Opiate

I genuinely believe third parties have made a mess of things over in Japan. I can't exactly say what they should have done, but what they have done is splinter an already dwindling fanbase in to a host of smaller factions, which is absolutely untennable long term. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest a crash is coming to the Japanese gaming market now.

I'm not suggesting it's inevitable, but they've gone and messed things up very nicely.

schuelma

Opiate said:
I believe 130k is very low given the first day sales we heard about. Is this not a fair assessment?

Read the first page. The first day sales are from Famitsu. The Famitsu numbers were 143K from an opening day of 92K. That's about average. Not great, but certainly not poor.

Sadist

Oh boy, can' t wait for the Wii doombringers.

I think that a re-release with a demo getting 132k sales in its first week isn' t bad at all.

Opiate said:
I believe 130k is very low given the first day sales we heard about. Is this not a fair assessment?

That was Famitsu's first day sales though. Famitsu's weekly sales were actually close to 145,000. It so going by famitsu the game sold 50,000 more copies during the last two days (released on Thursday, trackers end when Sunday hits) it was available. Not to mention that the Starter Pack had a very high sell through.

There really isn't anything to be shocked about. So far it doesn't seem to have worm legs, but then again it doesn't seem to be dying off immediately. Like others have said it's pretty much at average.

schuelma

See this why we should just use Famitsu software numbers. They are soooooooooooo much better

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wii is fucking doomed, like that guy in Doom cept he killed all those demons and I dont see the Wii killin' no demons.

gtj1092 said:
But its ok for you to mix trackers to paint a better scenario for games you wish to succeed?:lol

I assume you're talking about me in the previous Media Create thread.

Okay first off in that thread with Oboro I never went from Famitsu to Media Create I only used Media Create and only Media Create.

Second off I stated that I didn't go to the average with the multiple trackers due to Marvelous announcing that they were struggling to keep demand, something that didn't mesh well with Famitsu's sell-throughs but did with Media Creates.

There was nothing wrong with what I did at the time because it meshed with what was currently happening to the game. Sadly the game didn't seem to have legs as it isn't on this list. :(

Anyway what I did and what Link is doing have nothing in common.

Spiegel

Flying_Phoenix said:
Okay first off in that thread with Oboro I never went from Famitsu to Media Create I only used Media Create and only Media Create.

Second off I stated that I didn't go to the average with the multiple trackers due to Marvelous announcing that they were struggling to keep demand something that didn't mesh well with Famitsu's sell-throughs but did with Media Creates.

What I did and what Link is doing have nothing in common.

You went from Famitsu (shipped number) to M-C (sold number)

Opiate

Going in to more detail, I would analyze the situation in this manner: in terms of sales, the Wii has extremely strong first party support but weak third party support; the 360 has extremely weak first party support (this is Japan, Halo and Gears are anathema) but quite disproportionately large third party support; and the PS3 has recieved mediocre first party support with some sporadic blockbuster exclusive third party support, but very little AA or A support to flesh out the library in between those releases.

The result is a bizarrely fissured market where the only safe bet is the DS -- but I think some parties are very hesitant to put their important games on the DS because they're afraid of losing "mindshare," particularly amongst Western Gamers. Consider if Metal Gear Solid had been for the DS, for example. Dragon Quest is one of the few major games that can afford to be on the DS because it's already an ignored brand in the West.

It's really a very dangerous market place, and I entirely blame third parties for creating it.

Spiegel said:
You went from Famitsu (shipped number) to M-C (sold number)

I thought shipment numbers were set in stone information given by the publisher and didn't change between trackers? I mean trackers have to track sales but not shipment numbers. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Opiate said:
Going in to more detail, I would analyze the situation in this manner: in terms of sales, the Wii has extremely strong first party support but weak third party support; the 360 has extremely weak first party support (this is Japan, Halo and Gears are anathema) but quite disproportionately large third party support; and the PS3 has recieved mediocre first party support with some sporadic blockbuster exclusive third party support, but very little AA or A support to flesh out the library in between those releases.

The result is a bizarrely fissured market where the only safe bet is the DS -- but I think some parties are very hesitant to put their important games on the DS because they're afraid of losing "mindshare," particularly amongst Western Gamers. Consider if Metal Gear Solid had been for the DS, for example. Dragon Quest is one of the few major games that can afford to be on the DS because it's already an ignored brand in the West.

It's really a very dangerous market place, and I entirely blame third parties for creating it.

Agreed. There truly isn't a platform(s) that are getting the lion share of support from the in general Japanese publishers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Opiate said:

Entirely? Unless you are blind or a total apologist, some of the blame must go to Sony and Nintendo too.

donny2112

schuelma said:
See this why we should just use Famitsu software numbers. They are soooooooooooo much better

:lol :D

Media-Create did come out with their 2008 Top 500 before Famitsu, though. :p

Also, I'm generally with Opiate on Monster Hunter G having a lackluster weekend performance (~50K) following the first day sales (~90K). I do think it is specifically due to not having enough Classic Controller bundles available, though.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Second off I stated that I didn't go to the average with the multiple trackers due to Marvelous announcing that they were struggling to keep demand something that didn't mesh well with Famitsu's sell-throughs but did with Media Creates.

I thought we only got the shipment numbers from Famitsu.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I know Famitsu estimates shipment numbers from the stores they track. Media-Create probably does the same.

donny2112 said:
:lol :D

Media-Create did come out with their 2008 Top 500 before Famitsu, though. :p

Also, I'm generally with Opiate on Monster Hunter G having a lackluster weekend performance (~50K) following the first day sales (~90K). I do think it is specifically due to not having enough Classic Controller bundles available, though.

I agree that it didn't do what it was suppose to do, but it isn't "bad". To me its just average. This is the 3rd time this game has been released hasn't it?

donny2112 said:
I thought we only got the shipment numbers from Famitsu.

Yeah but Famitsu doesn't track shipment numbers as they are given to them correct? Again someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

EDIT -

donny2112 said:
I know Famitsu estimates shipment numbers from the stores they track. Media-Create probably does the same.

I see. I stand corrected. Sorry I wasn't previously aware of this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Japanese market sure is interesting this gen. It's amazing how trends can change so quickly.

Is any other territory so..fickle/malleable? It's hard to imagine momentum in one direction or the other being so turned on its head - even if only temporarily - in other territories. Or am I wrong?

Opiate

HK-47 said:
Entirely? Unless you are blind or a total apologist, some of the blame must good to Sony and Nintendo too.

Very tough to say. I might replace "entirely" with "90%," but that's not a hair I'm particularly interested in splitting.

Sony and Nintendo are doing precisely what they're supposed to do: creating games that are exclusive to their platforms to entice buyers.

Third parties have to understand that their games can also entice buyers, and by putting their games on comparatively unpopular platforms, they fracture the user base and create problems that only they have to do deal with: porting costs and demographic concerns.

Let me put this more simply: all fans of Nintendo games must own Nintendo systems to play them, and the same is true of Sony fans and Microsoft fans with their respective systems.

If I'm a fan of jRPGs made by Namco or Square, however, I would genuinely not know where to go.

gofreak said:
The Japanese market sure is interesting this gen. It's amazing how trends can change so quickly.

Is any other territory so..fickle/malleable? It's hard to imagine momentum in one direction or the other being so turned on its head - even if only temporarily - in other territories. Or am I wrong?

I don't know how it works in America, but in Japan, they have honor and shame.

schuelma

donny2112 said:
I do think it is specifically due to not having enough Classic Controller bundles available, though.

Yeah it should be interesting..we could have the standalone being discounted because they can't sell out their initial shipment and have the bundle in short supply.

Opiate said:
Very tough to say. I might replace "entirely" with "90%," but that's not a hair I'm particularly interested in splitting.

Sony and Nintendo are doing precisely what they're supposed to do: creating games that are exclusive to their platforms to entice buyers.

Third parties have to understand that their games can also entice buyers, and by putting their games on comparatively unpopular platforms, they fracture the user base and create problems that only they have to do deal with: porting costs and demographic concerns.

Let me put this more simply: all fans of Nintendo games must own Nintendo systems to play them, and the same is true of Sony fans and Microsoft fans with their respective systems.

If I'm a fan of jRPGs made by Namco or Square, however, I would genuinely not know where to go.

I guess this is why Western developers are so hesitant to go toward the Wii or DS. No point in splitting your userbase when they are currently all in one basket.

RpgN

Opiate said:

That's kind of one-sided, this statement.

Nintendo changed the market, promising to bring new gamers and satisfy the core gamers. Only, they went a little too far with the first and the Wii is associated with games for housewives now. Expecting third parties to all adept this strategy with success and throw their old formula out of the window, is asking for much. Nintendo changed too many rules this gen causing this confusion. Even though they won't admit it, but I think if the wii's graphics were comparable to the HD consoles and kept strong support for core gamers (like the first year) as well, a lot of third parties would have jumped early to support the leader. There would have been not a single excuse not to.

donny2112

AndriaSang.com has an interesting writeup from Nintendo involving who uses the Wii in Japan from a video for the upcoming Wii-no-ma program. The data is based off of interviews in Osaka and Tokyo in January of 3,045 people.

Average number of users per household

DS - 2.9
PSP - 1.9
Wii - 3.4
PS3 - 2.1
Xbox360 - 1.5
PS2 - 2.3

Just my own interpretation, but I think the handheld numbers might also relate to the number of handhelds in the home. I don't see a situation where three people in the house share one DS. :lol

Gender/Age spread of Wii users

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blogs/anoop/2009/04/30/nintendo_graphs/images/2132379981/

Also, 87% of Wii owners use the Wii on the biggest TV in the house.

RpgN

donny2112 said:
Shoot. I can't access an image-hosting site currently, so I'll transcribe the first graph and post a link to the second.

Thank you, that would be nice :D

RpgN said:
That's kind of one-sided, this statement.

Nintendo changed the market, promising to bring new gamers and satisfy the core gamers. Only, they went a little too far with the first and the Wii is associated with games for housewives now. Expecting third parties to all adept this strategy with success and throw their old formula out of the window, is asking for much. Nintendo changed too many rules this gen causing this confusion. Even though they won't admit it, but I think if the wii's graphics were comparable to the HD consoles and kept strong support for core gamers (like the first year) as well, a lot of third parties would have jumped early to support the leader. There would have been not a single excuse not to.

I don't think that is really Nintendo's fault. It's up to the third parties to quickly adapt to changes, not Nintendo.

However what I do blame Nintendo for is not grasping the third parties immediately or very early in on the Wii's life.

Nintendo should have convinced Capcom to port Monster Hunter 3 and 2 other AAA titles early on. Nintendo should have convinced Square-Enix to release 2 AAA JRPG's on the Wii during its first 2 years on the market. Nintendo should have talked with third parties persuading them to release a specific versions of their multiplatform HD games on the Wii.

It was and is Nintendo's job to convince third parties to develop games on their platform and not vice versa. Yes they have Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest (Japan's two biggest third party IP's) but they can only push the platform so far if they're coming so late onto the systems life.

I'm not saying Nintendo should be like Microsoft or SONY where they consistently flash their wallets. But they should be a little less conservative with their money and use it at the right times with the right IP's. The kinda get the "right IP's" part but they really understand the concept of timing and the amount of games you need to turn the head of third parties.

schuelma

Thought this was relevant, from another thread:

"we at Nintendo have to reflect on domestic Wii software deployment in the former half of this year. Like what had been to be released in the former half of this year was postponed to the latter, we were not able to reach the original goal – to regularly make new proposals.
As for our deployment during the latter half of this year, I would like to announce on the other day as it is not today’s main topic. I would like to address that Nintendo recognize that we have been short of new proposals during the former half of this year, so far."

Iwata's comments this week.

donny2112

schuelma said:
As for our deployment during the latter half of this year, I would like to announce on the other day as it is not today’s main topic.

Are they going to wait until E3 to announce what they have planned for the rest of the year? Maybe Nintendo got confused and thought E3 was still in May. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This reminds me of a personal experience...

Sometimes I have an argument with my girlfriend. She wants me to do some chore or another. I don't think the chore really needs to be done, and to be honest, I'm not in the mood to do it either.

She asks me to do it, I sort of groan and then start doing it halfassedly. Then she gets mad at me because she did a bunch of other chores and what she's asking of me isn't a whole lot, and she's already taken care of everything else. She also says stuff like "I don't want you to do this, I want you to WANT to do this"

Is she right? Is she wrong?

Answer:
It doesn't matter who is right or wrong. What matters is whether the chore gets done in the end and who suffers more if it doesn't get done.

Secret Socially Inept Decoding Key: I'm a third party, my girlfriend is Nintendo, and the chore is a game for the Wii.

Top Bottom