• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 28, 2009-Jan 3, 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
obaidr said:
5 out of 7 Wii titles in the Top20 are first party. Gonna be interessting to see who gonna drop the ball next. After sega and capcom some other major publishers will probably follow.
Capcom will publish Monster Hunter 3G for PS3 and won't accept Nintendo marketing for MH3 in the west. Every other Capcom Wii title gets cancelled.

Sega will refuse to include Nintendo characters for next Mario & Sonic because they keep sales down. Sonic and friends alone will make these titles huge. Right now they lose a lot of sales.

Square Enix is so mad with Wii and Nintendo that will move DQX back to Sony.

Many other companies will follow.

As for Nintendo...Third party.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
obaidr has an amazing post history regarding Wii. I don't think I found even one post that isn't negative for it.

Taurus

obaidr said:
5 out of 7 Wii titles in the Top20 are first party. Gonna be interessting to see who gonna drop the ball next. After sega and capcom some other major publishers will probably follow.
you in another thread said:
people will stop buying Wiis and the gaming in general can start to move on with the new cash flow towards real games and better games will be made*

*A man can still hope ;)
You know, if you really really much hope for something, maybe it does come true after all?

semiregular

Neo Member
I came across this video (login required, of course) when I was looking at gameplay videos of Segagaga in niconico. (I think I clicked on the "history of game" tag) It was basically a video showing market shares of the top 10 game publishers in Japan from 1996 to 2009.

It's not exactly accurate because it was solely based on the no. of games sold by each publisher, and only show the top 10 of that year, but it's very interesting, particularly when you're watching it together with niconico's comments... :lol

Points I found interesting:
- I lurk in MC posts, so I know level 5 was doing fine. But I didn't know it was doing this fine for the past three years!
- I'm also quite surprised to see how Sega was doing. (Not in a good way though...)
- Nintendo is scary.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, can't believe how poorly Nintendo dropped the ball with NSMB Wii shipments on the busiest shopping week of the year. Wonder if hardware will be effected..

Vamphuntr said:
NSMB supply problem?

uhm... i arrived in Japan on Dec.27 and the game was always available every time i went in some shop (not only Akihabara, but also Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Nakano and Saitama area);
From the beginning of this week i started noticed some shortages and yesterday everywhere i went i read "New Super Mario Bros. Wii is sold out, sorry".

Honestly i thought sales were more high, i mean, i noticed so many people buying games as i never saw in my past travels to Japan (i come here every year from 2003).
So considering how big were the numbers of 2 weeks ago (20-27 Dec.), i can't imagine how crowded were shops in those days....

Hammer24

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Media Create 2009 (29/12/08-27/12/09: weeks 1-52)
Code:
       |   2009    |   2008
-----------------------------
DS+    |3.978.953  |3.946.585
PSP+   |2.248.171  |3.693.026
WII    |1.962.367  |2.862.818
PS3    |1.764.531  |  980.797
360    |  373.357  |  322.097
PS2    |  206.625  |  472.489

DSi    |3.015.126  |1.231.359
DSL    |  527.563  |2.715.226
DSi LL |  436.264  |
PSP    |2.176.319  |3.693.026
PSP Go |   71.852  |

Thx, appreciate it!

graph01.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that SCEJ has confirmed the God of War Trilogy (and release date) and the Shadow of the Colossus Budget re-release. Since GT5's rumored release date came at the exact same time, it is likely that is also real.

Siliconera said:
Shadow of the Colossus budget re-print? It’s happening and God of War Trilogy exists too. Both of these items were leaked by retailers and officially announced today.

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan sent out a list of PlayStation the Best budget games. Rise from Lair is due in February. PSP owners gets Samurai Warriors: State of War, Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce, and Tenchu: Shadow Assassins. SCEJ is also re-releasing the “best” version of Shadow of Colossus for 1,800 yen ($20) on February 4.

Sony also set March 25 as the release date for God of War III in Japan and announced God of War Trilogy, a limited edition package with God of War III and God of War Collection which Capcom, not Sony, is publishing in Japan. Still no official word about the other big retail rumor, Gran Turismo 5’s release date which multiple online shops reported on the same day as the God of War III leak.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/07/sony-japan-confirms-retail-leaks/

So, assuming everything holds true, on March 25th we have:

-Gran Turismo 5
-God of War Trilogy
-Fist of the North Star Musou

It seems like the PS3 will be having a very good week then. :lol

Edit:

March 18th is also really busy, though more so for the PSP:

-Metal Gear Sold: Peace Walker
-Gundam Assault Survive
-Yakuza 4 (PS3)

RpgN

I never thought Phantasy Star Portable 2 would sell over 500k. Last time we talked about it I thought it would sell over 400k+ and be done with it. Words of mouth did help it seems. It might nog reach the first one's LTD of over 600k, but selling over 550k is very respectable and it deserves it. Japan didn't let me down this time!

And FFXIII is performing a little better third week compared to other FFs. When sales of the first week came, I thought 1,8 million was something it will eventually get but it's it's past that by now. 1,9 or 2 million is more likely now with some luck. My...my predictions are mostly less and a little careful it seems :p

NSMB wii is a beast though and that sold much more than I could have ever hope for. Let's see if it can get 5 million like the DS version. This week is a little lower than expected but supply might me running low for it.

And what's Friend Collection? I'm surprised that sold over 2,5 million 0_0

gunther

The fact that SW3 is selling so well tells that the bad sales of graces had more to do with FXIII than the actual culture of the wii consumer.

Nirolak said:
It seems that SCEJ has confirmed the God of War Trilogy (and release date) and the Shadow of the Colossus Budget re-release. Since GT5's rumored release date came at the exact same time, it is likely that is also real.
Oh man, forget a SotC reprint, remaster that puppy in HD ala God of War Collection Sony. Everyone and their mom wants to play that game with a steady frame rate.

onken

gunther said:
The fact that SW3 is selling so well tells that the bad sales of graces had more to do with FXIII than the actual culture of the wii consumer.

"so well" might be a bit optimistic.

Road

RpgN said:
And FFXIII is performing a little better third week compared to other FFs. When sales of the first week came, I thought 1,8 million was something it will eventually get but it's it's past that by now. 1,9 or 2 million is more likely now with some luck. My...my predictions are mostly less and a little careful it seems :p
Hmm, yeah. I didn't realize the first shipment of FFXIII is now gone. Wonder until how long S-E announces 2 million shipped. (You know they will.)

Vinnk

onken said:
"so well" might be a bit optimistic.

Moved goalposts and all... but still I think most of us assumed it would be out of the top 30 in 2 or 3 weeks. It has normal legs for a SW title but really good legs for a "core" game on the Wii that isn't made by Nintendo. It really a matter of how low our expectations were for this game. Mine were quite low. I wonder what Koei was expecting?

Brofist

Nirolak said:

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/07/sony-japan-confirms-retail-leaks/

So, assuming everything holds true, on March 25th we have:

-Gran Turismo 5
-God of War Trilogy
-Fist of the North Star Musou

It seems like the PS3 will be having a very good week then. :lol

Edit:

March 18th is also really busy, though more so for the PSP:

-Metal Gear Sold: Peace Walker
-Gundam Assault Survive
-Yakuza 4 (PS3)

March 25th is GoW3 and the special GoW3 + collection (trilogy pack), the GoW collection comes out the week before on the 18th.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
kpop100 said:
March 25th is GoW3, the GoW collection comes out the week before on the 18th.
GoW Collection (1+2): March 18
GoW 3 and GOW Trilogy (1+2+3): March 25

It doesn't make sense for GoW Collection but that's how it is.

Brofist

Chris1964 said:
GOW Collection (1+2): March 18
GOW 3 and GOW Trilogy (1+2+3): March 25

It doesn't make sense for GOW Collection but that's how it is.

Right (I edited before I saw your post :D )

Yeah weird timing on the Collection

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vinnk said:
Moved goalposts and all... but still I think most of us assumed it would be out of the top 30 in 2 or 3 weeks. It has normal legs for a SW title but really good legs for a "core" game on the Wii that isn't made by Nintendo. It really a matter of how low our expectations were for this game. Mine were quite low. I wonder what Koei was expecting?
I'll tell you what Famitsu was expecting: 150k

Their estimates lately (and especially for December) were a complete failure for many games. I don't want to repost them because every creditability Famitsu has will be lost.

Spiegel

Vinnk said:

Actually, Samurai Warriors 3 can be considered as a Nintendo game too.

miyamoto08053.jpg

^ Joke

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
I never thought Phantasy Star Portable 2 would sell over 500k. Last time we talked about it I thought it would sell over 400k+ and be done with it. Words of mouth did help it seems. It might nog reach the first one's LTD of over 600k, but selling over 550k is very respectable and it deserves it. Japan didn't let me down this time!

Good catch, PSP2 fell off my radar since everyone was focusing on NSMB Wii and FF13.

onken

Vinnk said:

It's done pretty well, and it's no doubt benefited from a holiday release period, but I wouldn't start popping the champagne corks, either.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (14/01/10)

[NDS] Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku (Nintendo)
[NDS] Maru Goukaku Shiraku Sashhu! IT Passport Shiken (Media 5)
[NDS] Takahashi Shoten Kanshuu: Saihinshutsu! SPI Perfect Mondaishuu DS - 2011 Nendohan (Genki)

[PSP] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Kentoushi: Gladiator Begins (Acquire)
[PSP] Mahjong Haoh Battle Royale II (NCS)
[PSP] Bleach: Soul Carnival (PSP the Best) (SCE)
[PSP] Spectral Vs. Generation (IF Collection) (Idea Factory)

[WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Capcom)

[PS3] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix)
[PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Codemasters)
[PS3] Bioshock (Spike the Best) (Spike)

[360] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix)
[360] Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Codemasters)

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu has published hardware numbers for 2009 but Media Create hasn't.

Media Create 2009 (29/12/08-27/12/09: weeks 1-52)
Code:
       |   2009    |   2008
DS+    |3.978.953  |3.946.585
PSP+   |2.248.171  |3.693.026
WII    |1.962.367  |2.862.818
PS3    |1.764.531  |  980.797
360    |  373.357  |  322.097
PS2    |  206.625  |  472.489

DSi    |3.015.126  |1.231.359
DSL    |  527.563  |2.715.226
DSi LL |  436.264  |
PSP    |2.176.319  |3.693.026
PSP Go |   71.852  |

Famitsu

YOY
Wii dropped 900,451 ((-31%)
PS3 gained 783,734 (+44%)

and almost met in the middle :D

Also, FFXIII is NOT reaching 2 million. I guarantee it.

Chris1964 said:
Next week releases (14/01/10)

[NDS] Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku (Nintendo)
[NDS] Maru Goukaku Shiraku Sashhu! IT Passport Shiken (Media 5)
[NDS] Takahashi Shoten Kanshuu: Saihinshutsu! SPI Perfect Mondaishuu DS - 2011 Nendohan (Genki)

[PSP] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Kentoushi: Gladiator Begins (Acquire)
[PSP] Mahjong Haoh Battle Royale II (NCS)
[PSP] Bleach: Soul Carnival (PSP the Best) (SCE)
[PSP] Spectral Vs. Generation (IF Collection) (Idea Factory)

[WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Capcom)

[PS3] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix)
[PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Codemasters)
[PS3] Bioshock (Spike the Best) (Spike)

[360] Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix)
[360] Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (Codemasters)

We should see decent sales from both RE: Darkside and Last Window. Not sure what to expect from Tekken 6 on PSP though.

KtSlime

danielijohnson said:
Also, FFXIII is NOT reaching 2 million. I guarantee it.

Optimistic aren't we?

It's very possible it can make it, it's less thank 200k away, it may take some time, but I'm willing to guess that in 2 weeks that it will only be 100k away, and then it has a few months to finnish the rest.

Not saying it will, but I wouldn't count out this scenario so fast.

Road

We don't know if we'll get the full top 30 from Famitsu for Dec. 21 - 27, but here's the data from Yahoo JP:

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 513,080 / 2,485,150
02. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 320,940 / NEW
03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 246,925 / 2,311,948
04. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 181,724 / 1,698,256
05. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 149,120 / 3,382,597
06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 134,202 / 1,298,533
07. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5) - 127,259 / 943,615
08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 86,012 / 1,542,806
09. [WII] Taiko no Tatusjin Wii: Dodoon to 2 Yome! (Bandai Namco Games) - 77,191 / 209,083
10. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5) - 63,787 / 552,085
11. [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu no Daibouken (Pokemon) - 58,233 / 243,075
12. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 49,081 / 169,538
13. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 47,098 / 443,216
14. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: Penguin no Mondai Special (Konami) - 43,590 / 84,144
15. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 39,102 / 2,449,762
16. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 38,301 / 114,322
17. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 33,033 / 5,659,586
18. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Bandai Namco Games) - 30,353 / 111,287
19. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 30,266 / 125,494
20. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 30,241 / 36,145
http://gameinfo.yahoo.co.jp/ranking/weekly_sales.html
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gm/w/

xx. [PSP] Naruto Shippuuden: Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Bandai Namco Games) - 26,558 / 120,463
xx. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 25,957 / 4,100,968
xx. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 25,646 / 93,555
xx. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Bandai Namco Games) - 25,308 / 339,034
xx. [WII] Sengoku Musou 3 (Koei) - 23,938 / 205,370
xx. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 19,008 / 164,619
xx. [WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco Games) - 13,216 / 177,925

Quite the difference for Zelda. Also Yahoo has the cheaper MHP2G Best as a "new" game. It might be tracked separately.

Neato, SW3 must be 31 or so, thus it did a taaad under 30,000 (or even a tiny bit over, we'll see!) that week. :)

So as of then, it's surely even above 210,000, and if it's similar this week, it's at 240,000. :)

Edit: 21 or so I meant. :p

sphinx

the piano man
Chris1964 said:

For me the most interesting information is that ETRIAN ODYSSEY is Atlus' biggest franchise on DS, the sequel being its highest selling game on the handheld.

I always thought those numbers under 150k were pitiful but for Atlus the games must be like a gold mine, considering they manage to produce other games that sell much less and the company stays alive.

I thought it was a niche game/niche RPG style?

No wonder a sequel is coming. It's all nice.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Wow, Taiko 2 really recovered well.

Yup. I noticed it picking up in the middle of December. It's a popular game for new Wii owners, probably more so than for owners of the first.

turnbuckle

Mostly just browse the MC threads rather than participate in them, but I would be really surprised if FFXIII doesn't cross 2m by the end of its run. I understand that the series is very much front loaded and prone to having used sales cannibalize new ones, but the amount it's made in the past 2 weeks combined (both weeks of huge drops, but somewhat healthy sales nonetheless) are enough to cross that threshhold. Guess I could very likely be wrong (I'm not an expert lol) but I'll throw my hat in with the 2m FFXIII crowd.

schuelma

turnbuckle said:
Mostly just browse the MC threads rather than participate in them, but I would be really surprised if FFXIII doesn't cross 2m by the end of its run. I understand that the series is very much front loaded and prone to having used sales cannibalize new ones, but the amount it's made in the past 2 weeks combined (both weeks of huge drops, but somewhat healthy sales nonetheless) are enough to cross that threshhold. Guess I could very likely be wrong (I'm not an expert lol) but I'll throw my hat in with the 2m FFXIII crowd.

Next weeks sales will be telling. It had a really good week this week, but that was with the New Years sales. I wouldn't be shocked to see it drop to like 35-40K.

Just for curiosity, i was looking at PS3 Modern Warfare 2 numbers, is it the best result for a FPS in Japan ?
Considering it should be pretty close to 200k...

I think it should definitely reach 2 million. It might drop hard next week, but it's got less than 200,000 to go, so it should at least be able to crawl there. I think it might still have an alright drop for the first week of the new year, too.

XII sold 180,000 from Week 4 on, and that was at the tail end of the PS2's life. I don't think it's too unlikely for XIII to do slightly better. For comparison, X did 240,000 from Week 4 on, and even X-2 did 215,000 from Week 4 on, so I think 200,000 from this point on wouldn't be that unexpected.

schuelma

Honestly it probably just depends on the size of the 2nd shipment. If it was 2 million +, it will reach 2m eventually. If it was less, I doubt demand is going to be so high as to warrant a 3rd.

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:
For me the most interesting information is that ETRIAN ODYSSEY is Atlus' biggest franchise on DS, the sequel being its highest selling game on the handheld.

I always thought those numbers under 150k were pitiful but for Atlus the games must be like a gold mine, considering they manage to produce other games that sell much less and the company stays alive.

I thought it was a niche game/niche RPG style?

No wonder a sequel is coming. It's all nice.

Thats the beauty of the DS. It's costs are so low that even if you only sell 100k, you can still profit.

Top Bottom