• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 28, 2009-Jan 3, 2010

cvxfreak

At this point, I honestly wouldn't worry about FFXIII. It did very well given what went up against it (low userbase, consistent series declines). An International release and possibly a 360 release should boost the game's penetration even further, so I'd say SE made out quite well. It's not as nice as the returns of something like DQIX, but FF has always been costlier to develop.

Road said:
Also Yahoo has the cheaper MHP2G Best as a "new" game. It might be tracked separately.
Latest famitsu top10 has it on #82 two weeks before and #20 the week before so I guess they aren't separating them? I thought they would though, they did with MHP1.

sphinx

the piano man
Eteric Rice said:
Thats the beauty of the DS. It's costs are so low that even if you only sell 100k, you can still profit.

I suspect many smaller companies like atlus must be having profit at a much lower margin, 40k-60k I'd say, at least on the handhelds.

over 100k must be stellar for them.

sphinx

the piano man
cvxfreak said:
At this point, I honestly wouldn't worry about FFXIII. It did very well given what went up against it (low userbase, consistent series declines). An International release and possibly a 360 release should boost the game's penetration even further, so I'd say SE made out quite well. It's not as nice as the returns of something like DQIX, but FF has always been costlier to develop.

why does this post reminds me of an already MC classic debate concerning some other 3rd party game?

" ....It did good... considering.... "

I can't quite remember which one but I could swear there was a game we discussed last year that hardly got a pass whenever anyone dared use the words " considering " or "given the circumstances"

7Th

Bel Marduk said:
When did they hint at a prequel?

When they left rather important stuff as only ambiguous inferences in the game itself and then
ended the prequel light novel right before as said important stuff was going to start

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Latest famitsu top10 has it on #82 two weeks before and #20 the week before so I guess they aren't separating them? I thought they would though, they did with MHP1.

the only reason they should separate sales is a different price, as they did for Everbody's Golf 4 on PS2

Minna no golf 4 (PS2 standard) 27/11/2003 - 1.083.079
Minna no Golf 4 (PS2 The Best) 08/07/2004 - 228.432
Minna no Golf 4 (PS2 The Best reprint) 02/11/2005 - 392.009

and, as you mentioned, Monster Hunter Portable

Monster Hunter Portable (PSP standard) 01/12/2005 - 668.964
Monster Hunter Portable (PSP The Best) 03/08/2006 - 290.904
Monster Hunter Portable (PSP The Best reprint) 26/04/2007 - 157.105

Road

MC Hardware:

Wii 163,855
PSP 132,911
PS3 114,368
DSi 92,461
DSi LL 70,643
DS Lite 17,388
Xbox 360 6,878
PS2 4,023
PSP go 3,903

Road

Jesus, did Gaf go 500 over MC numbers? I posted and couldn't get in anymore lol

Anyways, nice hold up for Sonny. It's interesting how Nintendo is huge in some weeks while Sony keeps a steadier pace throughout the holidays.

timmy

BowieZ said:
Have these thoughts, please, Nintendo.
If you want a sequel to a first-party Nintendo game, the worst thing that can happen is for it to become a sales juggernaut. They'll ride that shit out into infinity.

Vinnk

Nice PS3 numbers. I am no super surprised since I saw plenty of slims being sold, but still nice to see it healthy. Wii is a bit lower than maybe it could have been had NSMBWii been in stock everywhere but it probably didn't effect it that much.

What shot up the PSP like that? New years money? I would have thought the DSi would still be outselling it.

Still surprised that the LL is selling so well. I always saw it as a companion system for a small group of gamers rather than an SKU that sells comparatively well with the main SKU.

PSP go... didn't.

spwolf

i got banned last time for talking positivly (only) about PS3 sales, i always felt there is no need to say the obvious (or rather to repeat that everyone else is saying) so... wii sure did sell shit load over the holidays, didnt it?

1st or 2nd, i dont think anyone can complain about holiday performances this year...

p.s. NSB Wii wow. Serves me well for listening to smart people here that didnt expect much from 2D Mario? Can anyone tell me ratio sold vs install base for both NSMB and FFXIII?

hirokazu

Vinnk said:
Nice PS3 numbers. I am no super surprised since I saw plenty of slims being sold, but still nice to see it healthy. Wii is a bit lower than maybe it could have been had NSMBWii been in stock everywhere but it probably didn't effect it that much.

What shot up the PSP like that? New years money? I would have thought the DSi would still be outselling it.

Still surprised that the LL is selling so well. I always saw it as a companion system for a small group of gamers rather than an SKU that sells comparatively well with the main SKU.

PSP go... didn't.
I'm guessing people dig the huge screen and the fat pen. Smaller isn't always better! (Well except for portability.)

7Th

hirokazu said:
I'm guessing people dig the huge screen and the fat pen. Smaller isn't always better! (Well except for portability.)

My mother loves the idea of the LL, her eyes get tired when she tries to play in the Lite.

PS3 sales holding steady this week. Big drop for Wii. NSBM:Wii and Holiday nintendo bump tapering off a bit, it seems.

Next year should be interesting. I expect PS3 to be ahead of the Wii for YTD 2010.

Road

Nirolak said:
So, was Opiate right about the Wii/PS3 sales prediction?

Sep. to Dec. of 2009 according to:

- 52 week 2009 Famitsu,
PS3 - 1,110,275
WII - 1,016,138

- 52 week 2009 Media-Create,
PS3 - 1,112,051
WII - 1,006,045

- 53 week 2009 Media-Create,
PS3 - 1,226,419
WII - 1,169,900

Also, 5 week holiday sales according to MC:
WII - 813,352
PS3 - 594,841

NDS - 828,307
PSP - 475,515

DSL - 67,705
360 - 38,292
PSPgo - 17,844
PS2 - 15,492

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BowieZ said:
Gah! Is there some specific thread causing this server meltdown?
I'd imagine it's a combination of these two:

"Rumor: Infinity Ward not developing Modern Warfare 3"
"Natal now software based. Motion detection algorithms, developed by an AI."

Road said:
Sep. to Dec. of 2009 according to:

- 52 week 2009 Famitsu,
PS3 - 1,110,275
WII - 1,016,138

- 52 week 2009 Media-Create,
PS3 - 1,112,051
WII - 1,006,045

- 53 week 2009 Media-Create,
PS3 - 1,244,962
WII - 1,169,900

Also, 5 week holiday sales according to MC:
WII - 813,352
PS3 - 613,384
Thanks. It was very close.

Congratulations Opiate.

cvxfreak

So if MHP2G Best reprint follows the rate of the original's Best Reprint to Best ratio, then it can sell around 550,000.

Capcom definitely knows how to manage budget rereleases, and I suspect Nintendo games would perform similarly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
obaidr said:
5 out of 7 Wii titles in the Top20 are first party. Gonna be interessting to see who gonna drop the ball next. After sega and capcom some other major publishers will probably follow.
Impeccable logic.
Wii has 2 third party titles in top 20.
PS3 has 2 third party titles in the top 20.
360 has 0 third party titles in the top 20.

= Time for 3rd parties to bail out of Wii software

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
:enemyglider: said:
PS3 sales holding steady this week. Big drop for Wii. NSBM:Wii and Holiday nintendo bump tapering off a bit, it seems.

I have no clue what the Wii hardware number represents, but it seems like a safe bet that NSMB Wii was severely supply constrained (and I wouldn't be surprised if Wii hardware was affected).

schuelma

Wonder what MH Tri is at after this week..maybe 970K or so?

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Wonder what MH Tri is at after this week..maybe 970K or so?

I think it could be within 20K of 1 Million on Famitsu's charts.

Does anyone have on hand what the difference between Famitsu and MC's MH3 counts were? The first week had a sizeable gap but I'm unsure how they eventually converged.

ToG at 33, redeemed! :p Actually I wonder if it sold like 10-15k this week.

Nice HW all around though Wii was definitely hurt by NSMBW shortages. Why did it have shortages anyway? Was it because they wanted people to have demand for 2010 instead like cvxfreak suggested before I think? :/

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
I think it could be within 20K of 1 Million on Famitsu's charts.

Does anyone have on hand what the difference between Famitsu and MC's MH3 counts were? The first week had a sizeable gap but I'm unsure how they eventually converged.

It was at 940K at Famitsu the last time it was tracked and I *think* it was like 20K ahead of MC at that time. Wonder what it sold this week..I assume it did above 10K given how high this week is for software.

schuelma said:
It was at 940K at Famitsu the last time it was tracked and I *think* it was like 20K ahead of MC at that time. Wonder what it sold this week..I assume it did above 10K given how high this week is for software.

Let's hope...it'd bode well for both MH3 and Graces! :eek:

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Meus Renaissance said:
So is the Go now officially a failure? I was never a fan of the pricing but even I didn't expect it to attain these type of numbers.
Yeah, it's looking questionable if it will ever sell out its initial shipment of 150,000 units.

cvxfreak

Bel Marduk said:
ToG at 33, redeemed! :p Actually I wonder if it sold like 10-15k this week.

Nice HW all around though Wii was definitely hurt by NSMBW shortages. Why did it have shortages anyway? Was it because they wanted people to have demand for 2010 instead like cvxfreak suggested before I think? :/

A few others didn't agree with that theory, so it can't be said for sure. I think it can be tied to restocking overseas, since the game certainly had stock issues there. Even then, the Wii performs so phenomenally in the West so it's not as if those countries would need NSMB Wii as much as Japan does. Maybe Reggie wants to win his bet :lol

justchris

Road said:
MC Hardware:

Wii 163,855
PSP 132,911
PS3 114,368
DSi 92,461
DSi LL 70,643
DS Lite 17,388
Xbox 360 6,878
PS2 4,023
PSP go 3,903

DS back on top after Wii's Christmas crowning.

I've been off of GAF for a while, so haven't seen any discussion about it, but the DSi LL is doing surprisingly well (well, surprising to me, anyway).

cvxfreak said:
A few others didn't agree with that theory, so it can't be said for sure. I think it can be tied to restocking overseas, since the game certainly had stock issues there. Even then, the Wii performs so phenomenally in the West so it's not as if those countries would need NSMB Wii as much as Japan does. Maybe Reggie wants to win his bet :lol

Probably, though I don't doubt your theory might have SOME plausibility. They don't have much on the horizon in Q1/Q2 (besides SMG2 possible? And Reginliev, lol. And RE: DSC I guess.) so they need sustained sales for a while.

Majmun

Three DS consoles wow. And all are selling better than PSP Go and the X360.

Healthy HW numbers all around. Didn't expect the Ps3 to be over 100k this week, though.

Jonnyram

Well that's interesting -- Wii's last 3 months of the year (since PS3 slim came out) are up 47.2% from last year, thanks basically to NSMB Wii, but PS3 slim still managed to outsell it over that period. 2010 is going to be very interesting. Wii sales dropped a LOT in 2009, despite the surge in the last quarter. Outside of the holiday season, Wii sales could be very miserable. It depends purely on NSMB's legs, I think.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
Well that's interesting -- Wii's last 3 months of the year (since PS3 slim came out) are up 47.2% from last year, thanks basically to NSMB Wii, but PS3 slim still managed to outsell it over that period. 2010 is going to be very interesting. Wii sales dropped a LOT in 2009, despite the surge in the last quarter. Outside of the holiday season, Wii sales could be very miserable. It depends purely on NSMB's legs, I think.

I'm a bit confused..are you saying Wii is doomed because sales were up in the last quarter?

Top Bottom