• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Feb. 15 - 21, 2010

gerg

thestopsign said:
It sold around 600k in December, the only month of sales we have, so definitely not at 4.5mil sold.

Yah. See the edit.

Banned Nintendo sourced Gamasutra, but in doing so can't apparently distinguish "the last of which" from "all three of which".

Jokeropia

Nintendo's official shipments for Spirit Tracks are 2.45 million worldwide through December 09. Phantom Hourglass were at 3.82 million through December 07, but had at that point been out a few months longer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The newest revolution in bargain bins is right here. Zelda Spirit Tracks presents...

The bargain shelves :lol

:O

This is the beginning of a beautiful new era in bomba

dolemite

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The newest revolution in bargain bins is right here. Zelda Spirit Tracks presents...

9c665cd4.jpg

Isn't Zelda one of the most predictable sellers in Japan? Why the hell would they expect something bigger and hurt themselves in the process.

wrowa

dolemite said:
Isn't Zelda one of the most predictable sellers in Japan? Why the hell would they expect something bigger and hurt themselves in the process.
Spirit Tracks is selling much worse than Phantom Hourglass did. They didn't expect something bigger, they only didn't expect it to bomb.

Anony

good thing NA sales are over 4.5 mill

-edit-
Speaking to Gamasutra, Dunaway says credit is due to games like Wii Fit Plus, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the last of which has sold more than 4.5 million units to date.
maybe it was just referencing nsmb, could be both, it's sandwiched between wiifit and nsmb, it's cant be combined sales

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Quite obviously it's referencing the last named game, as in NSMBW?

gerg

Anony said:
good thing NA sales are over 4.5 mill

-edit-

maybe it was just referencing nsmb, could be both, it's sandwiched between wiifit and nsmb, it's cant be combined sales

I think it's quite clear that Cammie's referring solely to NSMB Wii. Moreover, ST's LTD sales and the supposed "4.5 million units" figure don't match up, lest ST sold the best part of 2.5 million units in January and February.

Aru

John Dunbar said:
seeing zelda like this hurts me. it hurts me bad.

It's just Spirit Tracks, eh.
Sequel to the sequel of one of my least favorite Zelda games.

If Zelda Wii turns out to be really awesome and "bombs" like ST, I'd feel bad :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The "low" sales for ST were totally predictable. Just look at the comparison between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ivysaur12 said:
PH was the second-best selling Zelda since OoT? Wow.
[NFC] The Legend of Zelda (Famicom Disc System) (Nintendo) - / 1.690.000
[NFC] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Famicom Disc System) (Nintendo) - / 1.610.000
[SFC] The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past (Nintendo) - / 1.160.000
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) - 386.234 / 1.143.570
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 288.282 / 902.386
[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo) - 287.346 / 742.609
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) - / 601.542
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 320.940 / 571.156
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109
[NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo) - 191.802 / 373.352
[NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo) - 190.029 / 372.690
[NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo) - 49.513 / 314.309
[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords (Nintendo) - 84.107 / 293.989
[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (Nintendo) - 92.882 / 235.400
[GBA] Famicom Mini: The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo) - 36.861 / 217.636
[GBA] Famicom Mini: Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Nintendo) - 35.335 / 139.800
[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (Nintendo) - 54.782 / 127.399

farnham

Banned
Aru said:
It's just Spirit Tracks, eh.
Sequel to the sequel of one of my least favorite Zelda games.

If Zelda Wii turns out to be really awesome and "bombs" like ST, I'd feel bad :(
only that spirit tracks is really good

cvxfreak said:
It's even called "Disposal Special Price" on the sign (処分特価). :lol

That's a picture from sakuraya's going out of business sale, It's being disposed of because everything in the store is being disposed of.
notice the "一均" ALL ds games being Y1500. not that you can't find Zelda new for no more then Y2500 at just about any store though.

They also had all x-box 360 games for Y500, the only thing that was any good at all that was left was Star Ocean 4 which I picked up, along with X-blade.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
That's a picture from sakuraya's going out of business sale, It's being disposed of because everything in the store is being disposed of.
notice the "一均" ALL ds games being Y1500. not that you can't find Zelda new for no more then Y2500 at just about any store though.

...and this is why random photos of foreign shop displays shouldn't always be taken at face value...

onken

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

They also had all x-box 360 games for Y500, the only thing that was any good at all that was left was Star Ocean 4 which I picked up, along with X-blade.

Regardless, that's a buttload of unsold copies, and 2500 is pretty damn cheap also.

mehdi_san

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Exact, I saw that on the news this morning. If only we had sakuraya here in Sendai :( We don't even have regular bargain bins!!! It is truly the countryside (いなか)

Japan fell out of love with Zelda long time ago. They gave it another shot during PH and remembered why they parted ways. It's a bitter pill to swallow, I took my dose with the release of TP.

dolemite

Jonnyram said:
Famitsu is reporting that Wii hardware has passed 10 million this weekend in Japan:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1232546_1124.html

10,009,736 units, up to and including 28 February 2010 (3 years and 3 months after launch).
Did we get Famitsu numbers last week? If so then we can get this week's hardware already:
Enterbrain also puts PlayStation 3 unit sales in the region at 4,766,408 and Xbox 360 sales at 1,235,049 units.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Chris1964 said:
[NFC] The Legend of Zelda (Famicom Disc System) (Nintendo) - / 1.690.000
[NFC] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Famicom Disc System) (Nintendo) - / 1.610.000
[SFC] The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past (Nintendo) - / 1.160.000
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) - 386.234 / 1.143.570
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 288.282 / 902.386
[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo) - 287.346 / 742.609
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) - / 601.542
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 320.940 / 571.156
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109
[NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo) - 191.802 / 373.352
[NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo) - 190.029 / 372.690
[NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo) - 49.513 / 314.309
[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords (Nintendo) - 84.107 / 293.989
[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (Nintendo) - 92.882 / 235.400
[GBA] Famicom Mini: The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo) - 36.861 / 217.636
[GBA] Famicom Mini: Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Nintendo) - 35.335 / 139.800
[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (Nintendo) - 54.782 / 127.399
Wow, kinda hard to believe that Zelda games are not big sellers in Japan.

onken

Pretty good second week for RE:AE. I expect Capcom will be throwing re-releases + DLC out the door for every franchise now.

mehdi_san said:
Exact, I saw that on the news this morning. If only we had sakuraya here in Sendai :( We don't even have regular bargain bins!!! It is truly the countryside (いなか)

Why have you written this word twice, once in English, once in Japanese? Because on the surface it kind of looks like a desperate piece of "I know a Japanese word" attention seeking.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
onken said:
Why have you written this word twice, once in English, once in Japanese? Because on the surface it kind of looks like a desperate piece of "I know a Japanese word" attention seeking.

This kind of harshness really isn't necessary. The guy has been a great poster during his time on GAF and by all accounts he actually does know Japanese.

onken

Stumpokapow said:
This kind of harshness really isn't necessary. The guy has been a great poster during his time on GAF and by all accounts he actually does know Japanese.

Real pet peeve of mine. Some other chump was doing it a while back "it's on monday (月曜日)". *gag*

gerg

Stumpokapow said:

By all accounts he lives in Japan.

onken

Jonnyram said:
It's still unnecessary (不要) and a little silly (馬鹿).

It's OK (大丈夫), he (彼) lives (住んでいる) in (に) Japan (日本)

Road

JoshuaJSlone said:
Which of these views do you guys prefer? I think both each week is pretty redundant.
Well, I like more the combined systems because it is easier to see the differences at a glance. =)

dolemite said:
Did we get Famitsu numbers last week? If so then we can get this week's hardware already:
I don't think so. But those PS3 and 360 figures seems to be from last week (we would have 29,332 and 2,405, respectively, subtracting from the previous total). That is, one week behind the Wii total in the Famitsu article.

Regarding the Japanese characters, I just assumed there was some little extra context that's lost in a translation to "countryside", buuuut it's all Greek to me.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
Early estimates from yugioh5ds.

75k - Kenka Banchou 4
62k - Mugen no Frontier Exceed
48k - Minna no Tennis Portable
43k - Fuurai no Shiren 4
19k - Borderlands
18k - Higurashi Vol.4
12k - Estpolis
So indeed everything underperformed, except for Kenka Bancho 4.

apujanata

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

There are 4 rows of spirit tracks, each row around 12-13 stack, and each stack around 5 game = 4 x 12 x 5 = 240 games, just in one store.

HA HA HA HA. Die Zelda Spirit Track, Die.

As a long time Zelda fan,
who own the bonus GCN Zelda Collection Disc by paying $ 50 for it (didn't live in US, couldn't get it as pre-order bonus), who enjoyed Zelda: Fours Swords Plus, who own all portable Zelda game, including Capcom's Ages and Seasons
, I have to admit that Zelda Spirit Track is one of the least interesting Zelda I have ever played, even worse than Capcom's OoA and OoS.

Nintendo should replace Eiji Aonuma, and let Miyamoto return to making Zelda games. It did wonder for Mario Series (NSMB Wii), and it should also do wonder for Zelda series.

John Dunbar said:
seeing zelda like this hurts me. it hurts me bad.
It also hurt me seeing zelda like this, but at least this game deserve it.

onken said:
It's OK (大丈夫), he (彼) lives (住んでいる) in (に) Japan (日本)
OK is 大丈夫 ? Wasn't that daijobu ? safe, sure, all right ? I am learning Japanese, and interested in OK = 大丈夫. In Chinese, daijobu means gentlemen.

Aru said:
I just hate the fact that my favorite 3D Zelda game is only 6th in that list :(
TP is very nice, graphically and musically. But it is not as good as OOT. OOT is more varied, and more difficult.

donny2112

apujanata said:
even worse than Capcom's OoA and OoS.
D: I take it you didn't play through the combined quests using both games, then? Taken together, I consider them one of the top 2-D Zelda games.

For me personally, Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are spinoffs.
Which makes sense, since they are spinoffs of Wind Waker.
They're not too good as Zelda games, but they aren't bad games, either.

apujanata said:
OOT is more varied, and more difficult.

Master Quest. :D

apujanata

donny2112 said:
D: I take it you didn't play through the combined quests using both games, then? Taken together, I consider them one of the top 2-D Zelda games.

For me personally, Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are spinoffs.
Which makes sense, since they are spinoffs of Wind Waker.
They're not too good as Zelda games, but they aren't bad games, either.

Master Quest. :D

Personally, I like OoA & OoS. I am very sad when my cartridge battery died, and I have to replay OoA & OoS again to continue the previous save game. I had the password you get when finished the game, but didn't do both game. I know that lots of people look down on it, since it is not done by Nintendo, but it didn't matter to me :)

PH is good, much better than ST. I really hate the train part in ST, especially those enemy train. Maybe ST are not bad game, but it is bad game for zelda series. I don't subscribe to the spin-off theory you had :D.

Do you have the US Version of Master Quest ? I have Master Quest (GCN ver), but since it is Japanese, I haven't played it yet. I bought it cheap, only HKD 100 (around USD 13). I also have Famicom Mini Zelda 1, Japan version :D.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Chris1964 said:
So indeed everything underperformed, except for Kenka Bancho 4.
I don't think Shiren 4 underperformed, did it? Considering the change in publisher... Spike must be ecstatic this week.

Wow @ Estpolis indeed though. Super Mega Bomba. No, ULTRA Super Mega Bomba! What in the world was S-E thinking just throwing it out like that?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jj984jj said:
I don't think Shiren 4 underperformed, did it? Considering the change in publisher... Spike must be ecstatic this week.
If you go by publisher sure, but as a new main entry it has the worst opening ever. It did even worse than Shiren 3 Wii.

donny2112

apujanata said:
Do you have the US Version of Master Quest ?

Yep. The main game is the same, but the dungeon layouts are different. Having just come from replaying OoT regular, it takes a shift in thinking to be able to work out some of the dungeons in MQ.
Beginning of Fire Temple comes to mind. :lol

Chris1964 said:
If you go by publisher sure, but as a new main entry it has the worst opening ever. It did even worse than Shiren 3 Wii.

It's funny...

After Spike took over...

Sales did the opposite of spiking.

Top Bottom