• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 22-28, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TunaLover said:
Wii never had a chance to capture PS2 crowd, I guess it still on PS3.

They had a chance but there have been no compelling reasons for the crowd to move over.

TunaLover

schuelma said:
They had a chance but there have been no compelling reasons for the crowd to move over.

I don´t know there are a quite compelling PS2-kinda software available on Wii in Japan, and every time it just disappear from the map or got killed by Wii_tittle

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TunaLover said:
I don´t know there are a quite compelling PS2-kinda software available on Wii in Japan, and every time it just disappear from the map or got killed by Wii_tittle

So is every niche non-HD game a game that PS2 owners were supposed to buy a Wii for? Wii needs big titles to get that crowd over, not standard RPG's from niche developers.

thefro

schuelma said:
So is every niche non-HD game a game that PS2 owners were supposed to buy a Wii for? Wii needs big titles to get that crowd over, not standard RPG's from niche developers.

Yeah, they've got some of the big games on the way but Monster Hunter Tri is the first real big 3rd party game they've had on the platform.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Pureauthor said:
All 500K of them? Nintendo must be weeping at the loss.
500k people who buy 2 games every month is better than 5 million people who buy Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit. That userbase may as well not even exist as far as third parties are concerned.

Sage00 said:
500k people who buy 2 games every month is better than 5 million people who buy Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit. That userbase may as well not even exist as far as third parties are concerned.

Oh, if you define hardcore as '2 games per month', then sorry, but I'm gonna have to revise those numbers down a bit.

Besides, I thought the discussion was about the ailing hardware numbers. It not like the Wii has to software to sell even if it hardcores bought it. :lol

TunaLover said:

the PS2 crowd was basically everyone, there's not many people that didn't own a PS2.
there won't be any one place for such a crowd anymore, there's too much choice out there for there to be a real monopoly in the market

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
the PS2 crowd was basically everyone, there's not many people that didn't own a PS2.
there won't be any one place for such a crowd anymore, there's too much choice out there for there to be a real monopoly in the market

DS is the new PS2. Sucks for console-only gamers. :(

Vinci

Danish
TunaLover said:
It still relevant group if you want diversify your game portfolio. More games is better for us, right?

Of course it's a relevant group, but it's still a small group and the only reason they didn't cross over to the Wii is due to 3rd parties going all over the fucking place rather than prioritizing projects based on scope and technical need. You don't build a library for any userbase with niche projects alone.

thefro is right. MH3 is really the first game to hit the system that has any possible, however slight, power from a 3rd party perspective.

duckroll said:

Absolutely true. What's sad is the Wii had the potential to be another PS2, but that never materialized due to choices made prior to the generation starting.

EDIT: And when I say 'sad,' I don't mean for Nintendo alone; I think 3rd parties would be in far better shape right now if they'd made some strong choices early on that allowed them to build purchasing userbases for their products on all three systems.

Busaiku

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow BlazBlue sold more on PS3 than on the 360.
The 360 game pretty much sold its entire first shipment.
The PS3 game hadn't, but it's not too far off.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
duckroll said:
I don't think even DS is comparable to PS2. DS got the majority of PS2 gamers, sure, especially it's massive "Minna no X" game audience and then even brought in a new audience, but I think decent parts of the PS2 audience may buy their games on PSP, Wii and PS3 unlike the be all end all PS2 was.

duckroll said:
yeah DS is the closest alone, but the DS will never have the same variety in the library as PS2 did
You are right though, DS+Console is the way forward

Vinci

Danish
Sage00 said:
I don't think even DS is comparable to PS2. DS got the majority of PS2 gamers, sure, especially it's massive "Minna no X" game audience and then even brought in a new audience, but I think decent parts of the PS2 audience may buy their games on PSP, Wii and PS3 unlike the be all end all PS2 was.

Different circumstances, huge impact. Definitely. The PS2 was crowned king before it even arrived and so everyone and their dog pledged full support to the thing; new gen comes and screws that all to hell with a $599 system and Nintendo tossing the old 'generation' concept out the damn window.

donny2112

Vinci said:
So the definition was two games a month and now is one game a week. Getting more hardcore every minute.

One game a week is fine. You just have to add a "." and a few zeroes in front of the "1" is all.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
40% DS + 25% PSP + 15% PS3 + 12% Wii + 8% 360 = PS2

:lol

The PS2 was not the only console worth owning last generation. It had the most robust and diverse library, but it didn't have everything. If it did, there would've been no worthwhile non-PS2 exclusives last generation, and I think most would agree that that wasn't the case. :p

Sage00

Once And Future Member
donny2112 said:

The PS2 was not the only console worth owning last generation. It had the most robust and diverse library, but it didn't have everything. If it did, there would've been no worthwhile non-PS2 exclusives last generation, and I think most would agree that that wasn't the case. :p
To Japanese gamers, excluding Nintendo games, that was pretty much the case.

donny2112 said:

yes but if you were going to choose one console then it was without a doubt the PS2 (unless you love nintendo franchises)
that decision isn't so clear now because there are must have titles on basically every platform

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Spiegel said:
40% DS + 25% PSP + 15% PS3 + 12% Wii + 8% 360 = PS2

Ps2 was awesome - but i think your`re overrating the lineup, also there are plenty of game types especially on ds that werent avaiable or popular on the ps2..

donny2112

Sage00 said:
To Japanese gamers, excluding Nintendo games, that was pretty much the case.

So you're agreeing that that wasn't the case. Also, Spiegel's post included handhelds. Maybe there were one or two GBA-exclusives worth owning, as well? :p

BlazingDarkness said:
yes but if you were going to choose one console then it was without a doubt the PS2 (unless you love nintendo franchises)

Agreed (excluding handhelds, which I think you were implying).

BlazingDarkness said:
that decision isn't so clear now because there are must have titles on basically every platform

Definitely. The water's are much more murky this generation. < insert charlequin's scorpion buffet analogy >

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TunaLover said:

When will people realize the PS2 crowd was split? They arent a single entity. Hell I bet plenty of them still just have PS2.

BlazingDarkness said:
Meh. Nintendo (with Sony's help) managed to break Sony's hold on the market. They didn't get the big games they needed early on to take the whole thing though. It's fractured right now, but we'll probably be back to having an overwhelming winner again next generation.

Spiegel

cw_sasuke said:
Ps2 was awesome - but i think your`re overrating the lineup, also there are plenty of game types especially on ds that werent avaiable or popular on the ps2..

I think I didn't explained it well.

When will people realize the PS2 crowd was split? They arent a single entity. Hell I bet plenty of them still just have PS2.

That's what I mean

Vinci

Danish
bmf said:
Meh. Nintendo (with Sony's help) managed to break Sony's hold on the market. They didn't get the big games they needed early on to take the whole thing though. It's fractured right now, but we'll probably be back to having an overwhelming winner again next generation.

I'm doubting it. For that to happen, you need the same circumstances that created the PS2 to occur once again: You need a massively dominant platform to lead into it and everyone has to be on-board from the get-go.

That won't happen next generation. The Wii is dominant, but its dominance is nowhere close to PSX levels.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Vinci said:
I'm doubting it. For that to happen, you need the same circumstances that created the PS2 to occur once again: You need a massively dominant platform to lead into it and everyone has to be on-board from the get-go.

That won't happen next generation. The Wii is dominant, but its dominance is nowhere close to PSX levels.
To expand on this, the reason that won't happen is because Microsoft have entered the market. They will buy away significant amounts of developers from the would-be-new-PS2.

I'm not sure if that's good for consumers or not. On one hand, the increased competition can only mean good things for price and quality of the products. However, they will need to buy more than one console to get all of them.

Sorry for bringing this issue into a MC thread but why has there been no pressure from the major CE firms (Toshiba, Matsushita, etc) on Sony and Nintendo to create a standard? I know this is wandering into the one console future debate but a consortium of CE companies could easily create a standard next gen console for the Japanese market and then the world which would remove the duopoly on gaming. I don't see why it hasn't happened.

Vinci

Danish
Sage00 said:
Sorry for bringing this issue into a MC thread but why has there been no pressure from the major CE firms (Toshiba, Matsushita, etc) on Sony and Nintendo to create a standard? I know this is wandering into the one console future debate but a consortium of CE companies could easily create a standard next gen console for the Japanese market and then the world which would remove the duopoly on gaming. I don't see why it hasn't happened.

Because Nintendo would never go for it. Ever.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Vinci said:
Because Nintendo would never go for it. Ever.
I don't think they'd have much choice. If every single CE company is making a console standard then it would arguably gain the largest userbase of all time (with the amount certain companies could drive the price down to due to inter-competition, integration with their other products, etc). They wouldn't stand a chance.

Vinci

Danish
Sage00 said:
I don't think they'd have much choice. If every single CE company is making a console standard then it would arguably gain the largest userbase of all time (with the amount certain companies could drive the price down to due to inter-competition, integration with their other products, etc). They wouldn't stand a chance.

Have you not paid much attention to this generation thus far? They can virtually stand alone and at least compete, perhaps more. They will always have the choice to tell the consortium to kiss their ass, and they would.

Vinci said:

It's just shy of 50% of the current generation home console userbase worldwide, Closer to 2/3 in Japan, and is the lead in every major territory. If Nintendo's next generation is at about the same capability range as the PS360, I'd be surprised if it didn't get some very early genre king announcements.

donny2112

Sage00 said:
They wouldn't stand a chance.

Just like with the GameCube. Besides, I'm pretty sure Nintendo has said before that if they ever stop making hardware, they'll stop making software, too. No SEGA in their future.

Vinci

Danish
bmf said:
It's just shy of 50% of the current generation home console userbase worldwide, Closer to 2/3 in Japan, and is the lead in every major territory. If Nintendo's next generation is at about the same capability range as the PS360, I'd be surprised if it didn't get some very early genre king announcements.

Unless Nintendo completely adjusts their current line of thinking, and there's no reason they would since what they're doing is massively successful, 3rd parties will never pledge complete support to any console made by them.

Vinci said:
Unless Nintendo completely adjusts their current line of thinking, and there's no reason they would since what they're doing is massively successful, 3rd parties will never pledge complete support to any console made by them.
There's that word 'Never' again. Has Sean Connery taught you nothing?

Top Bottom