• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 22-28, 2009

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Stumpokapow said:
you guys don't buy 50 games a year?

I know, right? Can't believe all the folks outing themselves in this thread. Really shows you need to be careful who you trust on GAF.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
donny2112 said:
Just like with the GameCube. Besides, I'm pretty sure Nintendo has said before that if they ever stop making hardware, they'll stop making software, too. No SEGA in their future.
They could still be making hardware. Hell, they could be market leader, and have a good chance of being it. An MP3 can play on any device, but Apple have carved out a market for themselves. I have no doubt Nintendo could do the same.

Vinci

Danish
bmf said:
There's that word 'Never' again. Has Sean Connery taught you nothing?

That talking with a cool accent and keeping in shape can make you attractive to women in their 20s when you're past 60? [And yes, I get your reference.]

What I'm saying is this: We've entered the DLC generation at this point for many 3rd parties, which is part of an online realm that Nintendo seems rather uninterested in (as they've seen no proof that it helps the selling power of their own titles). Should that change and they release a machine roughly equivalent to what the others have, graphics and online included? Yeah, maybe - but even then, I'm doubting it due to moneyhats and the fact that Nintendo honestly doesn't care about 3rd parties very much.

They're not going to give Cliffy B a bunch of hookers is what I'm saying.

bmf said:
It's just shy of 50% of the current generation home console userbase worldwide, Closer to 2/3 in Japan, and is the lead in every major territory. If Nintendo's next generation is at about the same capability range as the PS360, I'd be surprised if it didn't get some very early genre king announcements.

To do that they'd have to make a massive effort to get PS3/360 owners attracted to the console, which means creating a huge turn around for third party support etc and basically calming the 'family friendly' branding, which i'm not sure Nintendo have the intention to do so

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
Just like with the GameCube. Besides, I'm pretty sure Nintendo has said before that if they ever stop making hardware, they'll stop making software, too. No SEGA in their future.

Right cause the hanafuda cards market will sustain them. If they quit hardware, both portable and home, I think it would be stupid if they didnt go Sega.

Really smart business wasting those IPs. Do you believe everything Nintendo says?

donny2112 said:
:lol

The PS2 was not the only console worth owning last generation. It had the most robust and diverse library, but it didn't have everything. If it did, there would've been no worthwhile non-PS2 exclusives last generation, and I think most would agree that that wasn't the case. :p

The only things missing really were RTS, WRPGs and FPS, ironically the only genres where the PS3 is superior to the PS2 (well maybe not RTS, but definitely WRPGs and FPS)

donny2112

HK-47 said:
If they quit hardware, both portable and home, I think it would be stupid if they didnt go Sega.

I think the statement was meant more that they wouldn't stop selling hardware for the foreseeable future to counteract frequent "Nintendo's going third-party" ideas floating about instead of trying to say "We'll just survive on Hanafuda cards." Besides, if their 1st-party software was doing so poorly that they couldn't still produce hardware, what makes you think they'd do any better as a third-party developer? ;)

Jokeropia

Sage00 said:
I don't think even DS is comparable to PS2.
DS has a significantly larger audience than even the PS2.
HK-47 said:
Right cause the hanafuda cards market will sustain them. If they quit hardware, both portable and home, I think it would be stupid if they didnt go Sega.

Really smart business wasting those IPs. Do you believe everything Nintendo says?
The statement should be interpreted as that they won't quit hardware.

The idea is that somewhere in between 2012 and 2015 Sony and Microsoft will release new consoles. They'll whole new consoles that will have some sort of significant upgrade and will probably incorporate some sort of Waggle controller whether it's a two camera eye-toy or a waggle wand in every package. That will probably be enough of a reason for Nintendo to release new hardware because without it they won't be able to participate as part of the new generation without being a latecomer. They've already stated that they won't come into market later than Sony again. I have to believe that whatever that console is that they release, it will be at least on par with the PS3 and 360 as far as technical capability goes. They will come in as the incumbent, and they'll probably have at least two genre kings lined up by that point, probably more, and probably at least one announced.

Are they going to moneyhat Epic and Zenimax? Probably not, but expected marketshare alone may get them a mainline Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, or Grand Theft Auto right off the bat, even if ports to their competitors are likely to happen.

They already have a pretty good infrastructure for selling games and DLC online, and I have to believe that they'll expand and improve that as time goes on. The only part that I see as questionable for them is an XBox Live style multiplayer infrastructure as they have never really shown an inclination to duplicate it.

Could I be wrong? Of course I could. But I think I'm right, and only time will tell.

Sage00 said:
500k people who buy 2 games every month is better than 5 million people who buy Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit.
inner-g said:
The 1% that buys games almost every week.
Well, at least now I understand how PS3 got that 25:1 tie ratio.
Sage00 said:
I don't think they'd have much choice. If every single CE company is making a console standard then it would arguably gain the largest userbase of all time (with the amount certain companies could drive the price down to due to inter-competition, integration with their other products, etc). They wouldn't stand a chance.
But does that standard necessarily matter if they have to compete with the by-far #1 software publisher? Certainly N64 and GCN show that Nintendo isn't necessarily guaranteed success, but games they publish make up about half of Wii+PS3+X360 game sales.

Vinci

Danish
bmf said:
Probably not, but expected marketshare alone may get them a mainline Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, or Grand Theft Auto right off the bat, even if ports to their competitors are likely to happen.

Marketshare of what kind though? 3rd parties know Nintendo has a large marketshare already. Their issue is that they believe that marketshare to largely be comprised of particular sets of people that they don't know how to market to, while Nintendo obviously does, which puts them at a competitive disadvantage in two very important ways.

I'm not saying what I believe to be fact; I'm saying what they appear to believe.

Do you think they're going to care for whatever marketshare Nintendo drags into the next-gen with them? Maybe some will, but I highly doubt they're going to toss aside Microsoft considering how much MS coddles them. In truth, the only way we're going to get another PS2 is if MS makes it - as I don't see 3rd parties turning against them unless they do something woefully stupid next time around.

Vinci said:
Marketshare of what kind though? 3rd parties know Nintendo has a large marketshare already. Their issue is that they believe that marketshare to largely be comprised of particular sets of people that they don't know how to market to, while Nintendo obviously does, which puts them at a competitive disadvantage in two very important ways.

I'm not saying what I believe to be fact; I'm saying what they appear to believe.

Do you think they're going to care for whatever marketshare Nintendo drags into the next-gen with them? Maybe some will, but I highly doubt they're going to toss aside Microsoft considering how much MS coddles them. In truth, the only way we're going to get another PS2 is if MS makes it - as I don't see 3rd parties turning against them unless they do something woefully stupid next time around.
The third parties create their own markets, but they reside on top of the markets created by the platform holders and approved of by the mainstream consumers. The third parties tried to make their markets on the PS3, started to pull their customers there, and quickly compensated to include the 360 (Devil May Cry 4 and FFXIII being prime examples) this generation when it began to become apparent that Sony had managed to kill it's own momentum. At the same time, the majority of non-enthusiast consumers went ahead and bought Nintendo's product. This is not good for the 3rd parties. They're better off when most of their potential consumers are in one place. It allows for a lot of bleedover. I think that Nintendo will have the platform where they're most likely to be able to achieve that next generation, and I think that the 3rd parties are likely to see it that way too.

As I've said, I could be wrong, but time will really tell if the big 3rd parties try and create their next generation market on Nintendo's platform.

Vinci said:
EDIT: And when I say 'sad,' I don't mean for Nintendo alone; I think 3rd parties would be in far better shape right now if they'd made some strong choices early on that allowed them to build purchasing userbases for their products on all three systems.

Yep. As I like to say, there's plenty of blame to go around for everyone.

Vinci said:
What I'm saying is this: We've entered the DLC generation at this point for many 3rd parties, which is part of an online realm that Nintendo seems rather uninterested in (as they've seen no proof that it helps the selling power of their own titles).

This is an excellent and sage point. I really do suspect that the power level of PS3 and 360 is near the breaking point for home console graphical fidelity -- it rapidly becomes fiscally unsustainable to target higher specs with anything more than IQ/FPS/AA-type improvements -- so the key area here is network infrastructure.

Basically, I don't think there's any chance that the Wii will have graphics capabilities too weak to bring third parties on board -- but I do think that if they don't offer a network infrastructure as full-featured as, say, PSN as a baseline, they'll basically never get any meaningful 3rd party buy-in -- and as you suggest, there's really no evidence that they care about doing this despite online service being by far the most important actual "next-gen" innovation all three current systems brought with them.

Vinci said:
Their issue is that they believe that marketshare to largely be comprised of particular sets of people that they don't know how to market to

I don't particularly feel generous to third-parties today, so I'm going to rephrase that: they believe that marketshare to largely be comprised of people that will not rush out and buy their teen-male-oriented products without thinking and therefore might require the very slightest change in their calcified development strategy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
charlequin said:
Basically, I don't think there's any chance that the Wii will have graphics capabilities too weak to bring third parties on board -- but I do think that if they don't offer a network infrastructure as full-featured as, say, PSN as a baseline, they'll basically never get any meaningful 3rd party buy-in -- and as you suggest, there's really no evidence that they care about doing this despite online service being by far the most important actual "next-gen" innovation all three current systems brought with them.
They'll care because it is the best way to police piracy.

donny2112

DSi 39,885
PSP 26,789
Wii 21,790
PS3 11,310
Xbox 360 5,766
DS Lite 5,595
PS2 3,578

• Wii Sports Resort was 84.98% sell-through.
  • 296,000 separate Wii Motion+ attachments were sold.
  • Nunchuks increased from 8K to 27K.
  • Wiimotes increased from 13K to 30K.

donny2112 said:
DSi 39,885
PSP 26,789
Wii 21,790
PS3 11,310
Xbox 360 5,766
DS Lite 5,595
PS2 3,578

• [*]Wii Sports Resort was 84.98% sell-through.
    [*]296,000 separate Wii Motion+ attachments were sold.
Interesting. Isn't the usual aim for 50% sell through of the first shipment in the first week?

donny2112

bmf said:
Interesting. Isn't the usual aim for 50% sell through of the first shipment in the first week?

First day. I'd say a good percentage for first week is 70-80% typically. There can be lots of exceptions, though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
donny2112 said:
DSi 39,885
PSP 26,789
Wii 21,790
PS3 11,310
Xbox 360 5,766
DS Lite 5,595
PS2 3,578

Very important information! Thanks for bringing this to our attention! :D

RurouniZel

Dedication Through Light said:
296,000 Wii Motion Plus devices...are all these people massive sports fans?! There is no non sports Motion Plus game available?

I think they're massive local (read: not online co-op) multiplayer fans (Wii Sports was amazing when played with friends).

I expect NSMBWii will sell gangbusters if my theory holds.

Vinnk

Did I accidentally click on a sales thread from 2005?

Wii going 3rd party?
All PS2 gamers are hardcore?

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
DSi 39,885
PSP 26,789
Wii 21,790
PS3 11,310
Xbox 360 5,766
DS Lite 5,595
PS2 3,578

Interesting info indeed :) Are Wii Sports Resort the only Wii game for sale in Japan right now that supports Wii Motion+ by the way?

296,000 Wii Motion Plus devices...are all these people massive sports fans?! There is no non sports Motion Plus game available?
As RurouniZel said, i think that many people bought a separate Wii Motion+ addon to play Wii Sports Resort locally with family and/or friends :)

RurouniZel said:
I think they're massive local (read: not online co-op) multiplayer fans (Wii Sports was amazing when played with friends).
Ye, i was thinking about this as well, that many seperate Wii Motion+ addons were bought because people wants to play Wii Sports Resort locally with family and/or friends as you say :)

RurouniZel said:
I expect NSMBWii will sell gangbusters if my theory holds.
You are probably thinking about the 4 player part in New Super Mario Bros Wii, and i agree, but speaking about Wii Motion+, will NSMBWii support Wii Motion+?

Vinnk

I'm a bit surprised it is so low. I can't imagine playing WSR solo. I thought many people would pick up the game and at least one extra M+. I know many people who picked up the game and 3 M+ attachments so there must also be a huge number of people playing it alone. Thats kinda sad..

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinnk said:
I'm a bit surprised it is so low. I can't imagine playing WSR solo. I thought many people would pick up the game and at least one extra M+. I know many people who picked up the game and 3 M+ attachments so there must also be a huge number of people playing it alone. Thats kinda sad..
Ye, i think that this is good point. Looking at the sales data for the standalone/separate Wii Motion+ addon, it might be that several of people are playing Wii Sports Resort alone as you say.

Hopefully Media Create (or anyone else for that matter) will contunie to give sales data on how much the standalone/separate Wii Motion+ addon will contunie to sell, so we can see how many people who are buying the standalone/separate Wii Motion+ addon :)

Deku

Banned
Jokeropia said:
DS has a significantly larger audience than even the PS2.
The statement should be interpreted as that they won't quit hardware.

Larger yes, but you also have to factor in all the people who refuse to play it. Who either owned or was the biggest PS2 nerds.

It's certainly the most PS2-like platform of the generation.

RurouniZel

test_account said:
You are probably thinking about the 4 player part in New Super Mario Bros Wii, and i agree, but speaking about Wii Motion+, will NSMBWii support Wii Motion+?

Ah, I wasn't thinking about M+ when I said that, just the multiplayer aspect.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Deku said:
Larger yes, but you also have to factor in all the people who refuse to play it. Who either owned or was the biggest PS2 nerds.

It's certainly the most PS2-like platform of the generation.

The only platform like the PS2 is the PS1.

donny2112

Famitsu June 15-21

01./00. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 100,373 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable (Capcom) - 31,822 / NEW
03./02. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 30,420 / 440,065 (+28%)
04./05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 13,596 / 782,189 (+6%)
05./08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 12,165 / 3,422,236 (+15%)
06./03. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 10,648 / 129,307 (-34%)
07./00. [NDS] Akira Tago's Mind Exercises (Atama no Taisou) Vol. 1: Puzzle Solving Journey Around the World (Level 5) - 10,413 / NEW
08./04. [NDS] Gyakuten Kenji (Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth) (Capcom) - 8,708 / 260,724 (-44%)
09./06. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires (Koei) - 7,623 / 123,214 (-37%)
10./10. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 6,561 / 351,990 (-4%)

11./11. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 5,541 / 643,227 (-15%)
12./09. [PSP] Evangelion: Jo (Prologue) (Namco Bandai Games) - 5,216 / 33,849 (-42%)
13./00. [NDS] Akira Tago's Mind Exercises (Atama no Taisou) Vol. 2: Puzzle Solving Adventure Around the Galaxy (Level 5) - 4,725 / NEW
14./18. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 4,635 / 1,744,305 (-4%)
15./20. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 4,421 / 3,521,542 (-3%)
16./22. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,356 / 2,266,613 (+1%)
17./00. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 4,340 / 2,421,431
18./19. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 4,332 / 573,818 (-7%)
19./07. [WII] Play on Wii: Chibi-Robo! (Nintendo) - 4,285 / 15,042 (-60%)
20./24. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 4,107 / 5,017,049 (+5%)
21./13. [PSP] Yuusha 30 (Half-Minute Hero) (Marvelous) - 4,021 / 46,808 (-33%)
22./17. [NDS] Made in Ore (Wario Ware) (Nintendo) - 3,942 / 172,938 (-19%)
23./15. [NDS] Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! 2 (SEGA) - 3,896 / 82,524 (-28%)
24./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (BEST) (Konami) - 3,672 / NEW
25./29. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 3,654 / 3,454,172 (+12%)
26./26. [WII] Deca Sporta 2: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! (Hudson) - 3,411 / 50,721 (-6%)
27./00. [WII] Play on Wii: Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 3,387 / 104,117
28./00. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 3,351 / 1,112,369
29./12. [WII] Arc Rise Fantasia (Marvelous) - 3,318 / 37,790 (-48%)
30./00. [PSP] Metal Slug Complete (BEST) (SNK Playmore) - 3,265 / NEW

*. [PS2] Metal Slug Complete (BEST) (SNK Playmore) - 2,600 / NEW
*. [PSP] Juusei to Diamond (Diamond and the Sound of a Gun Shot) (SCEI) - 2,400 / NEW
*. [PS2] Samurai Shodown Anthology (BEST) (SNK Playmore) - 1,700 / NEW
*. [PS2] Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] (BEST) (Kadokawa Shoten) - 1,600 / NEW
*. [PS2] The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (BEST) (SNK Playmore) - 1,400 / NEW
*. [PS2] World Heroes Anthology (BEST) (SNK Playmore) - 850 / NEW
*. [NDS] The * Kayou Generation (Song Generation) (AQ Interactive) - 800 / NEW
*. [PS2] King of Fighters: Maximum Impact Regulation "A" (BEST) (SNK Playmore) - 610 / NEW

Bar Chart June 15-21 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-06-15

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

May 18-24, 2009
May 25-31, 2009
June 1-7, 2009
June 8-14, 2009

justchris

Sage00 said:
I don't think they'd have much choice. If every single CE company is making a console standard then it would arguably gain the largest userbase of all time (with the amount certain companies could drive the price down to due to inter-competition, integration with their other products, etc). They wouldn't stand a chance.

The problem with this is the very nature of the gaming market. It is very highly software oriented, the hardware exists primarily to facilitate the software. The problem with a standard is that it is, in fact, standard, and therefore has to serve a common denominator. If every CE company is doing that, that gives Nintendo the option to, once again, go completely into left field and produce software that their competition cannot competently emulate, like they so successfully did with the Wii.

The other problem that crops up is the gaming industry. Right now, 3rd party publishers pay licensing fees to the console maker. With a standardized console, that sort of thing would no longer work quite the same way. Possibly they'd be paying licensing fees to a consortium, but most likely, it would do away with licensing fees entirely, which is good for the publishers. On the other hand, it would also do away with all incentive for hardware manufacturers to moneyhat publishers/developers, which would break a lot of companies dev models (as sad as that is).

While I'd be perfectly fine with a single, standard console, what you propose is far too problematic to ever happen. Anyway, I'd sooner see a partnership between Sony/Nintendo - Nintendo/Microsoft - Sony/Microsoft to make a single console than see a group of CE companies with little experience in the gaming market try to force a standard.

Vinnk

bttb said:
[WII] Grand Slam Tennis (Electronic Arts) - 1,900 (20%)

Now there is a bomba. Not surprising but still. It even had nice in-store flyers. I wonder if the problem is that most people don't know that it is a motion plus title. All those new adopters should be jumping on M+ titles. Maybe WSR ping-pong is enough for them?

justchris

Vinnk said:

They might be planning to do what I'm planning to do. I don't intend to buy any M+ accessories separately, I intend to get every one of them with a game, since it's coming packaged with multiple games I'm interested in. That'll leave me with only 3 M+ for a while, but I'm sure something else will get it packed in eventually.

ksamedi

donny2112 said:
DSi 39,885
PSP 26,789
Wii 21,790
PS3 11,310
Xbox 360 5,766
DS Lite 5,595
PS2 3,578

Good figures. The Wii bump will probably be higher in the following weeks. These games sell by word of mouth. People experience them, have fun and decide to buy a Wii. So I'm rather curious as to what it does in the following weeks. Its probably too similar too wiisports to cause a big gain but I think it has some differences that may attract consumers that weren't interested in Wiisports.

justchris said:
While I'd be perfectly fine with a single, standard console, what you propose is far too problematic to ever happen.

I think "ever" is a very bad word to throw around in this kind of context.

This sort of thing is too problematic to happen now for pretty much the reasons you state -- technology is still too much of a distinguisher between platforms and therefore anyone with the right supporting software can convincingly say "screw it" to the group and go off their own way.

But I think it's fairly inevitable in the long run: when purely technological advancements slow too much to easily and affordably drive console cycles, the appeal of a standardized platform is going to grow.

charlequin said:

This sort of thing is too problematic to happen now for pretty much the reasons you state -- technology is still too much of a distinguisher between platforms and therefore anyone with the right supporting software can convincingly say "screw it" to the group and go off their own way.

But I think it's fairly inevitable in the long run: when purely technological advancements slow too much to easily and affordably drive console cycles, the appeal of a standardized platform is going to grow.
I think that Nintendo will agree to a standardized console, as long as they own the standard and get the licensing fees.

Vinnk

justchris said:
They might be planning to do what I'm planning to do. I don't intend to buy any M+ accessories separately, I intend to get every one of them with a game, since it's coming packaged with multiple games I'm interested in. That'll leave me with only 3 M+ for a while, but I'm sure something else will get it packed in eventually.

I can understand that. But in Japan WR is (I believe) the only game with a M+ pack-in. And if they are planning to wait, why buy WSR now. I can't imagine it being any fun alone.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
Possibly. Still seems likely that by the time that happens, though, there will be MH3 and Wii Fit Plus mucking with the comparison. At the end of 2008, Wii Fit was about 320K ahead. Half a year later it's still something like 180K ahead. Well, at least in the Famitsu version of things.
MH3 could actually give portable a bump, it happened with the MH1 port.

The thing that sucks is we won't be getting PSN sales when Go arrives, and that's one place where MH2P could pick up some extra sales when Go launches.
Unless Sony starts selling boxed PSN games in Japan like they did with Patapon2 - it may be the better way to get people buying off PSN there anyway...

justchris

charlequin said:

Yes, I should have said, "in the foreseeable future."

bmf said:
I think that Nintendo will agree to a standardized console, as long as they own the standard and get the licensing fees.

Right, or that.

Vinnk said:
Now there is a bomba. Not surprising but still. It even had nice in-store flyers.
As far as non-compilation Tennis games go, it seems there are basically four categories: Mario Tennis, Minna no Tennis, Prince of Tennis, and games that never hit 40K.
I wonder if the problem is that most people don't know that it is a motion plus title. All those new adopters should be jumping on M+ titles. Maybe WSR ping-pong is enough for them?
Speaking from a US perspective, this is it for me. I'm interested in Motion Plus, but not so interested that I want to buy a single-sport game I wouldn't otherwise have cared about, when Wii Sports Resort is right around the corner.

Top Bottom