• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

duckroll

donny2112 said:
Just curious, but what unqualified "positive" has there been for Wii third-party sales over the past year or so?

Taking it further, are there any unqualified positives for any console third-party sales situations in the past year?

I keep specifying "unqualified," because it's always been "It did good/okay/great considering ..." which immediately leads to the Pureauthor turnabout.

Monster Hunter 3 did great. There's nothing to consider. It outperforms MH and MH2. To say it is a negative is simply not true, regardless of the shipment. Ryu ga Gotoku 3 for PS3 also did great, so did RE5 for the PS3.

Mrbob

What is sony going to do about the PSP? There is a massive divde between the east and west with this device. Moreso than I have seen in a long time. The portable is practically dead in the USA, not doing good in europe, but still extremely strong in Japan. Does sony just continue the course and hope something revives the portable in the west or is it possible sony will unveil a new PSP and launch it in the west first? This way they can try to revive their market in usa and europe while maintaining sales in japan?

I guess you could say the same thing about 360, but in reverse. Extremely strong in USA, very good in europe, looking like its a non factor in japan. How is the 360 currently viewed in Japan? But even some 360 software sells in Japan from time to time. Nothing seems to be selling for the PSP in USA and Europe.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mrbob said:
What is sony going to do about the PSP? There is a massive divde between the east and west with this device. Moreso than I have seen in a long time. The portable is practically dead in the USA, not doing good in europe, but still extremely strong in Japan. Does sony just continue the course and hope something revives the portable in the west or is it possible sony will unveil a new PSP and launch it in the west first? This way they can try to revive their market in usa and europe while maintaining sales in japan?

Yeah it really is quite amazing. Has there ever been this type of divide before?

dolemite

Mrbob said:
Why not release in Japan too? I bet the old PSP will keep selling along with the new one.

duckroll

schuelma said:
Yeah it really is quite amazing. Has their ever been this type of divide before?

Sure, it's happening right now. It's called Xbox360. Hugely successful in the US, does jack shit in Japan. What's MS going to do about it?!

MechaX

Y2Kev said:
Wow, incredible Tales sales. And I mean incredible in that I truly cannot believe them.

It makes matters worse when considering that, if impressions are to be believed, the game was pretty much the best Tales entry and it definitely deserved better sales.

Mrbob

duckroll said:
Sure, it's happening right now. It's called Xbox360. Hugely successful in the US, does jack shit in Japan. What's MS going to do about it?!

I edited my post above, but I'll post it here as well. 360 software tends to show up in the charts from time to time. You hardly ever see anything pop up in the charts for the PSP in USA and Europe.

duckroll

Mrbob said:
I edited my post above, but I'll post it here as well. 360 software tends to show up in the charts from time to time. You hardly ever see anything pop up in the charts for the PSP in USA and Europe.

That has to do with the nature of the software, not anything else. Stuff like Crisis Core and Dissidia certainly show up on charts. Birth by Sleep and Peace Walker will certainly show up as well. The difference is that there are tons of Japanese developers making Japanese centric games on the PSP, which tend to sell very well in Japan now, but they either don't have the same appeal in the US, or they're simply not released at all in the US.

As for why western developers are not focusing more on the PSP, well why would they when the PS3 and 360 are actually VERY viable systems outside of Japan? For Japanese developers before 2009, the options were basically PSP, DS or Wii. With the PSP being the closest to PS2 in terms of userbase, branding, and graphical abilities... it became an obvious choice for certain franchises.

Mrbob said:

I guess it depends on if the PSP side of things is losing money for Sony? I really like the PSP but there's no denying that Sony haven't always thought through the system, such as having only 1 analogue nub. The PSP got absolutely trounced by the DS and now there's competition from the iPhone as well to consider. Add onto that the fact that Sony are still hurting heavily from the PS3 and I'd say that if Sony can they should stick it out with the current PSP, and only bring a PSP2 to market anywhere in the world when they're sure they've got a system that can address the problems of the first one and be competitive, not as a bandaid for the current hardware's woes (look what happened when they tried that with the Go).

dolemite said:
We are slowly converting the Japanese to the FPS genre:D
And you think that's a good thing?

On a related note. Even though the numbers for MW2 are impressive, it is not completely unbelievable. I mean really, this game sold 6 million copies in the US during it's launch, you'd expect that -even in a country that isn't keen on the genre- it would reach at least 1/60th of that number, especially given it had enough advertising (the buzz on the internet from around the rest of the world probably was enough anyway).

Don't read this post as if I'm trying to take away from how impressive MW2's performance is though, it did a lot better than I expected too.

Somnid

Mrbob said:

I guess you could say the same thing about 360, but in reverse. Extremely strong in USA, very good in europe, looking like its a non factor in japan. How is the 360 currently viewed in Japan? But even some 360 software sells in Japan from time to time. Nothing seems to be selling for the PSP in USA and Europe.

I'm curious as well. 360 at least has the Western markets which are far larger than the Japanese one. I'm having trouble thinking of a PSP this year aside from Dissidia that broke 50k. Just about every big title on PSP this fall has bombed in the US, and the hardware sales numbers are barely better than PS2.

It's not software either like Duckroll suggests. GTA:CTW, Soul Calibur, LBP, Motorstrom not a single one did particularly well. If you look back you'll find the PSP dipped in April in North America and has been declining since. What happened is that DSi killed it.

From November 1995 (the oldest data we can find on the Net) till now (the data we currently have), nSMB Wii is the 100th title to reach the million status.

donny2112

duckroll said:
Monster Hunter 3 did great. There's nothing to consider. It outperforms MH and MH2. To say it is a negative is simply not true, regardless of the shipment.

The shipment rules it out from being an unqualified positive, though. It's not a negative, but it's not a clear positive, either.

duckroll said:
Ryu ga Gotoku 3 for PS3 also did great,

It barely beat out the BEST re-release of Yakuza 1, and sold less than Yakuza 2. "But the userbase!" I'm looking for unqualified positives.

duckroll said:
so did RE5

RE5 (PS360) did comparably to RE4 (GCN/PS2). However, RE4 GCN was hurt by the early announcement of PS2 RE4, and PS2 RE4 was hurt by the months earlier release of GCN RE4. The much better option there (from a sales perspective) would've been a simultaneous release or no GCN version, at all, but regardless, RE4 was a disappointment in sales following RE1/2/3. Matching up to a disappointment isn't what I'm looking for here.

schuelma said:
Vesperia PS3

That's a good one. Matches up well to the PS2 remakes, which would've been setting the baseline.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With NSMBW and Wii Fit Plus Wii has now 10 million sellers in Japan with Monster Hunter 3 and Super Mario Galaxy waiting to join the club.

It's crazy to think that the PSP in Japan is almost outselling the PSP in the US. It definitely has issues outside of Japan, but I'm not sure what they can do at this point.

donny2112 said:
It barely beat out the BEST re-release of Yakuza 1, and sold less than Yakuza 2. "But the userbase!" I'm looking for unqualified positives.

RE5 (PS360) did comparably to RE4 (GCN/PS2). However, RE4 GCN was hurt by the early announcement of PS2 RE4, and PS2 RE4 was hurt by the months earlier release of GCN RE4. The much better option there (from a sales perspective) would've been a simultaneous release or no GCN version, at all, but regardless, RE4 was a disappointment in sales following RE1/2/3. Matching up to a disappointment isn't what I'm looking for here.

In both the cases of previous Yakuza games and RE4, weren't a lot of sales gained over an extended period of time at a budget price?

Also you say sales of RE4 GCN were hurt by the early PS2 announcement, but couldn't it also be argued that with the additions to the PS2 version that raises the likelihood of double dippers in comparison to RE5 PS3/360 being identical in content and released on day one, therefore boosting overall sales.

duckroll

donny2112 said:
The shipment rules it out from being an unqualified positive, though. It's not a negative, but it's not a clear positive, either.

No it doesn't. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but there is nothing unqualified about MH3 being a successful release. It sold more than the previous games, and it has sold consistently even after the first week. The game is not being cleared at a ridiculous price by all major retailers, and it's the best selling third party game on the Wii.

An additional shipment is not a requirement for something to be a success. You're just making up rules in your head now to determine how is it not a clear position. If that's the case, you can make up these rules and play on your own, no one else is bothered.

I never said anything about the userbase. You're just imagining this shit. You're making a really random comparison by saying it "barely beat out the BEST re-release of Yakuza 1". Why are you even comparing a 20 dollar re-release with a full price new sequel?

It sold more than the original Yakuza 1, and it sold much more than Kenzan. It didn't sell more than Yakuza 2, sure, but so what? Does that mean it's not a positive release? It's the third game in the series. RE3 didn't sell more than RE2, does that mean RE3 is not a positive in terms of sales now?

Seriously... trying to say sequel which sold 480k in a series that does 400k or so on average, is not a positive, is just talking out of your ass.

Okay, this proves it once and for all. YOU are the one creating these qualifiers, and making these weird nonsensical rules about what counts and what doesn't. Based on this alone, basically what you're saying is that any franchise which has dipped in sales volume from a much higher original volume earlier on in the series, can NEVER count again as a success or a positive, unless it returns to selling what it used to sell originally. That's bullshit.

I'm done.

gerg

I know it was once hard to believe that it would get anywhere close to the original, but what do we think the odds are for NSMB Wii nearing NSMB's LTD?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Somnid said:
I hope NSMB Wii and Galaxy 2 give Galaxy that extra bump to cross the finish line.
Galaxy has sold:

2007: 747.684 (01/11/07-30/12/07)
2008: 197.442 (31/12/07-28/12/08)
2009: 19.308 (29/12/08-12/07/09)

with the LTD being 964.414

19.308 in 6 months period is a very bad result but hopefully with NSMBW this year it will hit 980k and next year with Galaxy 2 it will pass the million mark.
The question isn't if but when this will happen.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
I know it was once hard to believe that it would get anywhere close to the original, but what do we think the odds are for NSMB Wii nearing NSMB's LTD?
You are talking about a ~6 million LTD when NSMB DS finally stops selling, so 1%?

gerg

dolemite said:
It's probably NSMB and not FFXIII that's doing all the damage.

Of course it's not the game that shares similarities with Graces' themes and gameplay - don't be silly!

Chris1964 said:
You are talking about a ~6 million LTD when NSMB DS finally stops selling, so 1%?

So we're still thinking three or four million-ish LTD for NSMB Wii?

Somnid

gerg said:

In Japan? Probably not with the way the console market is, DS games top out at about 5 Million, Wii top out at 3 Million. Worldwide I'd say it's very possible.

schuelma

Somnid said:
In Japan? Probably not with the way the console market is, DS games top out at about 5 Million, Wii top out at 3 Million. Worldwide I'd say it's very possible.

I think NSMB will easily get past 3 million. Heck, I think it will be close to 2.5million in another 3 weeks.

schuelma

donny2112 said:

I think the not selling out the initial shipment is fair ground to say it might not have done as well as Capcom deep down hoped it would, but to use that as an argument to say its not an unqualified success strikes me as a bit much. They overestimated initial demand, no question. But that doesn't take away the success it had. If Capcom had shipped 900K instead of 1.1M and received a small second shipment eventually, why would that suddenly make it an unqualified success?

donny2112

schuelma said:
If Capcom had shipped 900K instead of 1.1M and received a small second shipment eventually, why would that suddenly make it an unqualified success?

Unqualified positive, and yes, it would. I'm not talking about whether a game is successful or not. I'm talking about its unassailability to be used as evidence for positive third-party sales on a console not in comparison to the other consoles. e.g. For MH3, not selling out its first shipment can be used against it. With that position in mind, I'm only seeing Vesperia PS3 as an example in the past year.

Mario numbers are hot so as the Wii's hardware:D

PS3 numbers are climbing and will hit high next week, it's going to be an epic week next week. Graces numbers are just bad, i can't believe how low the numbers are. The Wii lacks rpgs and Graces comes out and barly anyone buys it. Final Fantasy 13 may be the cause, but there are 9 million Wiis sold so far. Lets say 5m are casual Wii Sport/fit/resort players, and 2 million waiting for FF13 first. That leaves 2m core(lol) who are hungry for for rpgs and core games. There is also Tales fans who didn't have the Wii before who purchased one for Graces; I don't know if that should be accounted for. It's also teh holidays where we expect more games to be sold. I don't know whether NSMBwii affected it or not, but it could be the case. There is a chance people decided to purchase NSMBwii instead of Tales and wait for FF13 for their rpg fix. Money is still tough so it's still a possibility.

Serious question: What are the chances NSMBwii carrying the Wii till Q2 of next year? the Wii's line up for q1 is abysmal, it might be the weakest yet! Wii has Resident Evil on rails ( I can see it selling 100k tops), has Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (I can see it selling 50k-65k tld) and the Sandlot game (45k probably). What else does the Wii have in q1?

Do we know what the shipment total for Graces was? Including hardware bundles?

I'm wondering if that 190,000 unconfirmed number pages ago was including hardware bundles? That'd be a high 50,000 hardware shipment, but the Wii HW total is 50% higher than last week, so it could be possible.

schuelma

LINK.AGE76 said:
Serious question: What are the chances NSMBwii carrying the Wii till Q2 of next year? the Wii's line up for q1 is abysmal, it might be the weakest yet! Wii has Resident Evil on rails ( I can see it selling 100k tops), has Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (I can see it selling 50k-65k tld) and the Sandlot game (45k probably). What else does the Wii have in q1?

I'm not going to guess on how NSMB Wii will carry hardware, except to say it has a lot better shot to do it than Animal Crossing and Wii Music.

And yes, right now Wii's Q1 lineup looks atrocious. One Nintendo published game that will bomb, and one 3rd party title with a chance to do 100K + (Darkside Chronicles.

schuelma

Hero of Legend said:
Do we know what the shipment total for Graces was? Including hardware bundles?

I'm wondering if that 190,000 unconfirmed number pages ago was including hardware bundles? That'd be a high 50,000 hardware shipment, but the Wii HW total is 50% higher than last week, so it could be possible.

Wow, you know what, I think you've figured it out! Haha Wii haters owned.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
LINK.AGE76 said:
Don't give Iwata ideas. There is nothing else dated except for MadWorld (10/02/10). If Nintendo wants to be serious this means Galaxy 2 in Q1 or the very later Golden Week. Unless they except NSMBW to carry them for 6 months.

schuelma said:
I'm not going to guess on how NSMB Wii will carry hardware, except to say it has a lot better shot to do it than Animal Crossing and Wii Music.

And yes, right now Wii's Q1 lineup looks atrocious. One Nintendo published game that will bomb, and one 3rd party title with a chance to do 100K + (Darkside Chronicles.

The PS3's Q1 line up is going to kill the Wii. I can't imagine what Nintendo is thinking right now. They have the momentum now with the release of NSMBwii and a few good 3rd party games. I don't understand why won't they keep up with that for Q1 next year. I can see NSMBwii keeping some ground with the Wii but not for long. I remember Nintendo saying that Galaxy 2 was almost done with and would've been released this fall, if not for NSMBwii. I think it would be a good March game for Japan. What ever happened to the games that were revealed in Fall 2008? Some of them could be good filler games.

schuelma

LINK.AGE76 said:
The PS3's Q1 line up is going to kill the Wii. I can't imagine what Nintendo is thinking right now. They have the momentum now with the release of NSMBwii and a few good 3rd party games. I don't understand why won't they keep up with that for Q1 next year. I can see NSMBwii keeping some ground with the Wii but not for long. I remember Nintendo saying that Galaxy 2 was almost done with and would've been released this fall, if not for NSMBwii. I think it would be a good March game for Japan. What ever happened to the games that were revealed in Fall 2008? Some of them could be good filler games.

I still think Galaxy is very likely for late March or early April but I also thought Nintendo would have a better 1st 2 months of the year this year after the disaster of Q1 2009.

And to think, if Capcom hadn't pushed Darkside Chronicles back to January the lineup would look that much worse.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
I still think Galaxy is very likely for late March or early April but I also thought Nintendo would have a better 1st 2 months of the year this year after the disaster of Q1 2009.

And to think, if Capcom hadn't pushed Darkside Chronicles back to January the lineup would look that much worse.
So, what's the conclusion? Nintendo doesn't learn.

schuelma said:

Is Galaxy in the Spring just a guess or have Nintendo actually given any reason to think so? I wasn't expecting it until late next year, so anything earlier than October would be a pleasant suprise for me.

Opiate

What is Nintendo supposed to do? Honest question. Hire more developers, make even more games? Their total output has been completely reasonable, I believe. They've released approximately as many games as Sony has, have they not?

markatisu

Opiate said:
What is Nintendo supposed to do? Honest question. Hire more developers, make even more games?

release the games they are working on is probably a good idea. They have enough developers I think.

they misjudged the 3rd party support they probably think they should have had (I mean they did leave the schedule open so only 3rd partys are to blame for releasing little of interest)

But I cannot believe they have no other games to fill things out, at least advertise or hype them more than a few weeks before release

schuelma

Die Squirrel Die said:
Is Galaxy in the Spring just a guess or have Nintendo actually given any reason to think so? I wasn't expecting it until late next year, so anything earlier than October would be a pleasant suprise for me.

A guess. From interviews it seems it was almost done and possibly held back from this year to give space to NSMB Wii, and I can't imagine Nintendo being so incompetent that they release dick in Japan before Golden Week 2 years in a row.

Oh wait a second strike that..I can definitely see Nintendo being that incompetent. October it is!

schuelma

Opiate said:
What is Nintendo supposed to do? Honest question. Hire more developers, make even more games? Their total output has been completely reasonable, I believe. They've released approximately as many games as Sony has, have they not?

Overall it has been, but to have nothing lined up for Q1 two years in a row doesn't strike me as a very good idea.

Top Bottom