• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009

C.T.

marc^o^ said:
Then the world is flat and japanese gamers start liking FPS. Thanks for the update.

Full translation and good marketing could be the main factor? Got a decent marketing push from Square.

test_account

XP-39C²
BlazingDarkness said:
LTD? sure it will pass 1.5 mil, but they're shipping around 1 million for release.

My predictions;
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st day - 880K
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square-Enix) - 1st week - 1.15K
[WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo) - 3rd week - 200k
PS3 Hardware - 160k
WII Hardware - 145k
Square-Enix wont ship more than around 1 million copies of FFXIII in the first week? Why such "low" shipment compared to the more recent main final Fantasy games like FFX and FFXII? FFX and FFXII sold somewhere around 1.7 million - 1.8 million copies in the first week.

Bebpo said:
If the Wii outsells the PS3 during the launch of FFXIII, I think Sony is about as doomed as you can get.
If the PS3 manages to maintain good hardware sales, even if the Wii should outsell the PS3 during the launch of FFXIII, i dont think that Sony necessarily is doomed :)

schuelma said:
PS3 - 76,000
WII - 142,000

NSMBWii - 465,000

:lol :lol

That's all I got to say.
Why ":lol :lol"? All of those numbers seems like good sales to me? :) Or maybe those lol faces are referring to something that has been said about the PS3 and the Wii hardware sales? If this is the case, i havnt really followed the Media Create threads that much the last couple of weeks, so i must have missed this/these discussion about the PS3 and the wii hardware sales :\

Spiegel

Certainly, the "best period of third party games for Wii ever" (November-December) didn't turn that well for third parties.

Meanwhile Nintendo is going to have a great end of the year. As always

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:
Why ":lol :lol"? All of those numbers seems like good sales to me? :) Or maybe those lol faces are referring to something that has been said about the PS3 and the Wii hardware sales? If this is the case, i havnt really followed the Media Create threads that much the last couple of weeks, so i must have missed this/these discussion about the PS3 and the wii hardware sales :\

It was mostly just surprise at how well Wii hardware did- I personally was predicting around 120K and many people in this thread had half convinced me I was nutso.

For the record, I think PS3 is going to do very very well next week and this is already its best December by far.

Spiegel said:
Certainly, the "best period of third party games for Wii ever" (November-December) didn't turn that well for third parties.

Your heartbreak comes through your post, no matter how well you try and hide it.

C.T.

test_account said:
Why such "low" shipment compared to the more recent main final Fantasy games like FFX and FFXII? FFX and FFXII sold somewhere around 1.7 million - 1.8 million copies in the first week.

Because the ps3 is not the ps2 and retailers order games? Anyways, its 1 million and a second shipment of 300k max at the weekend.

Road

So I guess this is it for the Famitsu numbers we have for Dec. 7 to 13:

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 464.824 / 1.401.558
02. [WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco Games) - 143.000 / NEW
03. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 117.000 / NEW
04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 97.000 / 1.877.000
05. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Bandai Namco Games) - 71.000 / NEW
06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 66.000 / 1.060.000
07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Nintendo) -
08. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 63.000 / 348.000
09. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 61.000 / NEW
10. [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu no Daibouken (Nintendo) - 55.000 / 112.000

xx. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Bandai Namco Games) - 49.000 / 287.000
xx. [WII] Sengoku Musou 3 (Koei) - 34.000 / 161.000
xx. [NDS] Luminous Arc 3: Eyes (Marvelous Entertainment) - 22.000 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Kyoukugen Dasshutsu 9 Jikan 9 nin 9 no Tobira (Spike) - 17.000 / NEW
xx. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 15.000 / 5.602.000
xx. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 13.000 / 60.000
xx. [PSP] Bleach: Soul Carnival 2 (SCE) - 11.000 / NEW
xx. [WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2010 (Konami) - 9.300 / NEW
xx. [PSP] R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate (Irem) - 3.700 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Again: FBI Chou-Shinri Shousakan (Tecmo) - 1.000 / NEW

Code:
Hardware:

Wii	142.000
PS3	 76.000
360	 10.000+
DSi	 70.000
DSiLL	 60.000
DSL	 10.000
PSP	 71.000
PSPgo	  3.300

Jaruru said:
nice race indeed. Nintendo did well encountering Sony. lower price for both Wii/PS3. NSMBWii released weeks before FFXIII.

will it make a difference if FFXIII actually launched weeks before?

I don't think so. I don't think its a case of NSMB Wii stealing FFXIII's thunder. The two games are very different and not really competing with eachother...and with FFXIII being so front-loaded, an extra 2-3 weeks of sales likely wouldn't boost PS3 HW sales a great deal.

duckroll

The funniest thing about the hardware numbers to me is how everything seems to be getting a solid holiday boost..... except the PSP Go!

schuelma

duckroll said:
The funniest thing about the hardware numbers to me is how everything seems to be getting a solid holiday boost..... except the PSP Go!

I'm lazy..how close is this monster to selling out its initial shipment?

duckroll

schuelma said:
I'm lazy..how close is this monster to selling out its initial shipment?

It's at about 65k now, if the first shipment was really 150k, then they have another 85k to sell. If the PSP Go sells 5k every week from now on, it will take another 17 weeks to sell out. That will put it at somewhere around mid-April 2010. :lol

schuelma

duckroll said:
It's at about 65k now, if the first shipment was really 150k, then they have another 85k to sell. If the PSP Go sells 5k ever week from no on, it will take another 17 weeks to sell out. That will put it at somewhere around mid-April 2010. :lol

I know I'm piling on but this is fascinating- has something on this scale ever happened to hardware?

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
I know I'm piling on but this is fascinating- has something on this scale ever happened to hardware?
Must've been something from SEGA like the 32x or SEGA CD. That's how bad the PSP Go is doing. :lol

kswiston

schuelma said:
It was mostly just surprise at how well Wii hardware did- I personally was predicting around 120K and many people in this thread had half convinced me I was nutso.

For the record, I think PS3 is going to do very very well next week and this is already its best December by far.

Unless Wii sales completely collapse next week, 600k is a lock for the 5 week December. In fact, if Wii sales go up by a decent amount next week, the December total might be higher than any of our 5-week predictions. Schuelma would win the Wii prediction by virtue of predicting the highest of anyone at 670k.

Two Wii week total is ~240k. If the next 3 weeks average 140k, the December Wii hardware total will be 660k. If the average 160k, the total will be 720k.

duckroll

schuelma said:

I dunno. Anyone knows how well the Virtual Boy did?

Spiegel said:
I can see Sony trying to sell a PSP-4000 by April/May now.

Too soon. They're waiting for Agito XIII. Meanwhile, the PSP-3000 is doing fine, and will be the bundle of choice for all major titles.

schuelma

kswiston said:
Unless Wii sales completely collapse next week, 600k is a lock for the 5 week December. In fact, if Wii sales go up by a decent amount next week, the December total might be higher than any of our 5-week predictions. Schuelma would win the Wii prediction by virtue of predicting the highest of anyone at 670k.

Two Wii week total is ~240k. If the next 3 weeks average 140k, the December Wii hardware total will be 660k. If the average 160k, the total will be 720k.

I think its going to get close to 700K now. Next week should be another big jump- maybe to 175K-180K and the 2 weeks after that should still higher than 130K or so.

Of course, what really matters is how it does into January, especially given how weak the Q1 lineup looks so far.

Onesimos

Road said:
So I guess this is it for the Famitsu numbers we have:

01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 464.824 / 1.401.558
02. [WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco Games) - 143.000 / NEW
03. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 117.000 / NEW
04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 97.000 / 1.877.000
05. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Bandai Namco Games) - 71.000 / NEW
06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 66.000 / 1.060.000
07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Nintendo) -
08. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 63.000 / 348.000
09. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 61.000 / NEW
10. [WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu no Daibouken (Nintendo) - 55.000 / 112.000

Even with the onslaught of new releases debuting in the Top 10 best-selling list, Tomodachi Collection and Wii Fit Plus manage to stay there for months. It would be the same next week when Final Fantasy XIII debuts, and when it eventually drops out of the Top 10.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:

Ah ok, like that, i understand :) Ye, i was also surprised at how well the Wii hardware did. Seeing this week's Wii hardware numbers, i wouldnt be that surprised if the Wii hardware numbers will be similar, or maybe even a bit higher next week. Or maybe the FFXIII release will affect the Wii hardware sales? But I think that it shall be interesting to see what happends :)

schuelma said:
How does this December's PS3 sales compared to previous December PS3 sales?

C.T. said:
Because the ps3 is not the ps2 and retailers order games? Anyways, its 1 million and a second shipment of 300k max at the weekend.
That is true, but Final Fantasy is a pretty big franchise, and main Final Fantasy games would probably have a good chance to sell great almost on any console/platform. The PS3 is also a more affordable console now compared to what the PS3 costed like 1-2 years ago.

But i think that i might have missunderstood what he ment with "shipping around 1 million for release." I first understood this as it was going to be shipped around 1 million copies for the first week, but now i see that he said "for release" and that might be for the first day only and that there might be a 2nd shipment before the first week is over indeed. A shipment of around 1 million copies for the first day seems to be reasonable number indeed in my opinion :)

Onesimos

duckroll said:

I think people may want to call the PSP Go! the PSP Gone! due to its poor sales.

schuelma

test_account said:
How does this December's PS3 sales compared to previous December PS3 sales?

I don't have 2007 on hand, but for 2008 PS3 did the following for the 5 week period we predicted for:

As you can see, its already significantly ahead before FF13.

kswiston

schuelma said:
I think its going to get close to 700K now. Next week should be another big jump- maybe to 175K-180K and the 2 weeks after that should still higher than 130K or so.

Of course, what really matters is how it does into January, especially given how weak the Q1 lineup looks so far.

For reference, average hardware sales for the last three December weeks in previous years were as follows:

2007: 198k per week
2008: 129k per week

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I don't have 2007 on hand, but for 2008 PS3 did the following for the 5 week period we predicted for:

As you can see, its already significantly ahead before FF13.
Thanks for the numbers! :) The 2 first weeks in December 2008 the PS3 sold 64K. The 2 first week in December 2009 the PS3 sold 126K. That is almost the double. That is significantly ahead indeed as you say. (the numbers that you posted, are those Famitsu numbers by the way? I just wanted to ask to make sure that i dont mix trackers, since the 126K number i mentioned are from Famitsu leaked numbers).

Acosta

duckroll said:
I dunno. Anyone knows how well the Virtual Boy did?

Around 140.000 in Japan if I remember well. All around Go it´s being mess and it´s a shame, I love the machine and it´s probably my favourite handheld design wise, but I don't know what Sony was thinking with it (based on the high price and the supreme stupidity of not having the whole library on PSN at launch, I guess they didn't have too much confidence on it or they are simply inept.)

schuelma

test_account said:
Thanks for the numbers! :) The 2 first weeks in December 2008 the PS3 sold 64K. The 2 first week in December 2009 the PS3 sold 126K. That is almost the double. That is significantly ahead indeed as you say. (the numbers that you posted, are those Famitsu numbers by the way? I just wanted to ask to make sure that i dont mix trackers, since the 126K number i mentioned are from Famitsu leaked numbers).

MC, but if we go by the last month or so the MC numbers tomorrow will be higher than the Famitsu leak.

markatisu

Acosta said:
Around 140.000 in Japan if I remember well. All around Go it´s being mess and it´s a shame, I love the machine and it´s probably my favourite handheld design wise, but I don't know what Sony was thinking with it (based on the high price and the supreme stupidity of not having the whole library on PSN at launch, I guess they didn't have too much confidence on it or they are simply inept.)

I would vote for simply inept, its like they repeated the mistake of the PS3 (too high a price, not enough game selection) but worse since they removed BC with the UMD and did not make the library available online

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
MC, but if we go by the last month or so the MC numbers tomorrow will be higher than the Famitsu leak.
Ah ok, then the PS3 hardware sales in December 2009 might be a bit more than double compared to the PS3 hardware sales in December 2008 :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
fam

I'm just saying.

schuelma

test_account said:
Ah ok, then the PS3 hardware sales in December 2009 might be a bit more than double compared to the PS3 hardware sales in December 2008 :)

Seems like a safe bet. I'm still not sure what PS3 will manage next week. I could see as "low"as 140K or as high as 200K.

kswiston

Acosta said:

I sort of feel like the Go was sent to die for two reasons:

1) As low as its sales are, there are now a few hundred thousand GO users worldwide who have no choice but to buy all their games on PSN. This entices publishers to put new/old PSP releases on the network.

Previously there was a few dozen PSP games on PSN. Now there are a couple hundred. IF the PSP2 is backwards compatible, I expect that it will be with PSN games only (as I don't see UMD carrying over). As it stands, there will be a nice library of legacy titles available if and when the PSP2 launches.

2) Sony wanted to test the financial feasibility of a digital distribution only handheld platform. I think that test has make it clear that, at least for now, DD-only handhelds are not financially feasible.

EDIT: I was under the impression that the high price was to compensate retailers for the inability to sell games for the system. While retail margins on systems is usually slim, I remember reading that retailers make more of a profit on PSP GOs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jonnyram said:
There's something wrong with that graph, because the original Xbox had a pretty decent launch week (125k or so).

You're quite correct, I have no idea why the Media Create numbers didn't register that. Switched to Famitsu.

Now I'm really just sayin'.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Seems like a safe bet. I'm still not sure what PS3 will manage next week. I could see as "low"as 140K or as high as 200K.
Ye, i agree, i would also think that the PS3 hardware sales for next week would be somewhere around 140K to 200K. Are there any words on how many FFXIII PS3 hardware bundles they will be making by the way?

dolemite said:
I am feeling more and more confident about my prediction that the Wii will outsell the PS3 when FFXIII is out.
Ye, after seeing this week's Wii hardware numbers, i think that the Wii actually has a chance to outsell the PS3 in the week when FFXIII is released. But both hardware sales will most likely be pretty high at least :)

schuelma

dolemite said:
I am feeling more and more confident about my prediction that the Wii will outsell the PS3 when FFXIII is out.

I think it will be close, and whoever wins won't be by much.

Oh wow...Wii HW sales are monstrous and Wii > PS3 FF XIII week wouldn't be surprising at all. Can I change my predictions? :lol I think my PS3 predictions are low too.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
I guess it's less that Koei hasn't grown Musou on Wii as that it's grown it elsewhere already. The only console Final Fantasy releases this gen have been minor spinoffs on Wii and XI releases on X360 so it's not like the fanbase of the core games have already found a place to settle in. Now, if they were to pull a Namco and make XIII was exclusive to PS3, XIV exclusive to X360, and XV exclusive to Wii, things would hurt.
Ye, that is true. I guess that my FFXIII example wasnt the exactly the best example since in afterthought i think that a main Final Fantasy game would probably have a good chance to sell well on almost every current gaming platform. But about other game series in general, i can see that the sales can get hurt if they put one exclusive game on the PS3, a different exclusive game on the Xbox 360 and yet another exclusive game on the Wii as you say, i agree :)

This quote is taken from the previous Media Create thread by the way. I am sorry for the very late reply! :\ I just checked through the previous Media Create thread to check for some sales numbers, and i didnt see your reply when you posted if about 1 week ago, i first saw your reply today.

schuelma

jesusraz said:
Anyone think NSMB Wii can hit 3 million by the year's end?

Nope. But I think by the end of the 5 week period of high holiday sales it could be close to 2.5M.

RJT

kswiston said:
2) Sony wanted to test the financial feasibility of a digital distribution only handheld platform. I think that test has make it clear that, at least for now, DD-only handhelds are not financially feasible.
PSP GO is a terrible product, so it can't be used to determine the viability of other products...

Road

Hmm... I'm not sure where Wii Sports Resort stands right now, but I think NSMBW may have passed it already to become the best selling Wii game of the year.

Acosta

kswiston said:
I sort of feel like the Go was sent to die for two reasons:

1) As low as its sales are, there are now a few hundred thousand GO users worldwide who have no choice but to buy all their games on PSN. This entices publishers to put new/old PSP releases on the network.

Previously there was a few dozen PSP games on PSN. Now there are a couple hundred. IF the PSP2 is backwards compatible, I expect that it will be with PSN games only (as I don't see UMD carrying over). As it stands, there will be a nice library of legacy titles available if and when the PSP2 launches.

EDIT: I was under the impression that the high price was to compensate retailers for the inability to sell games for the system. While retail margins on systems is usually slim, I remember reading that retailers make more of a profit on PSP GOs.

Looks a expensive way to do both things. In the first case I don't thing the companies feel PSN as a obligatory space because GO, it may open opportunities, but Sony had other ways to enforce or encourage it than launching a new model. Same for second, they could have put more efforts on PSN, offer sales and improving its content as any PSP can access it, instead of launching a new model.

I see from where do you come, but everything around GO (except the machine itself) shows a lack of planification. Testing the waters shouldn't be an excuse for that.

Top Bottom