• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Based on what we've seen and the rumors it seems as though they are adding a fairly large amount of content in addition to the DLC being added.

Mario Kart 8 on has the advantage of every big title that Nintendo will up-port to Switch.

Not many played it on Wii U

noshten

The major new addition that might appeal to Japanese gamers are the Splatoon characters. But do you honestly expect new characters to make a port sell well on a new hardware?

We are not talking about a Mario Kart 8 port on 3DS here, but Switch, which is an unknown territory right now.

The major new addition is the fact that Japanese can play MK8 on a handheld.
MK Deluxe will have no problems outselling its Wii U counterpart - it won't be a system seller for sure but it's going to have those usual legs

Anyhow not too worried about Japan but that lauch lineup is weak - needs more DQ/Pokemons/MH in 2017

That's disappointing. Too expensive, the sole big game at launch is a Wii U port and, for a console seemingly built around local multiplayer, it lacks a big local multiplayer game at launch. At this price, no early adopter will be the type of gamer interested in 1, 2, Switch, the only video game in the world meant to be played with no graphics.

I know it'll be a good system eventually but, damn, this looked less 3DS and more Wii U. Actually, even Wii U had a pack-in for that price. Insane.

The major new addition is the fact that Japanese can play MK8 on a handheld.
MK Deluxe will have no problems outselling its Wii U counterpart - it won't be a system seller for sure but it's going to have those usual legs
Handheld with poor battery life, sure.

It looks more like a tablet and the 'Tablet mode' for Mario Kart 8 does hint at what plans Nintendo have for it in the future.

Vena

Handheld with poor battery life, sure.

It looks more like a tablet and the 'Tablet mode' for Mario Kart 8 does hint at what plans Nintendo have for it in the future.

This is OG 3DS battery (not far off from the N3DS either), more or less. We originally had it set a 2-3 hours, period, now it turns out its 2.5-6+ hours. That's 3DS w/ WiFi Full-Brightness vs. 3DS w/o WiFi and dimmed.

noshten

How much did the 3DS cost in Japan at launch anyway and was a game included

Expecting a tepid launch and for things to really pickup with Splatoon 2 Bundle, Splatoon not being ready for launch is a missed opportunity

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Switch launch is barren in every territory. Don't know what they are thinking.

Busaiku

The Japanese lineup is beyond horrendous.
At least Breath of the Wild can appeal to US gamers, but there is nothing with significant appeal in Japan.

Nintendo executives must be delusional. Or they probably just gave up.

There's really no reason for casual gamers to acquire this machine without 1,2 switch or ARMS being pack in games. And that's giving them the benefit of the doubt as appealing to the masses experiences (they are absolutely not, not 1.2 switch at least).

Switch is gonna Wii U very fast, and it doesn't have the power of the Holidays to cushion its fall, it's launching in March. It'll sell 300K-ish on launch week, then probably drop down to less than 20K in a few weeks, then 4 digits until Splatoon 2 sells 1 million on its launch, and bumps Switch 1000%.

Ugh....the fact that the chances Switch could potentially Wii U are so high makes things....not good.

Oregano

It's looking like SMT5 is multiplatform btw. On the SMT 25th Site it's listed as "HD Project" alongside an unannounced 3DS Project.

Don't know if you realise but 3DS did quite well in Japan with its battery life.
But isn't Nintendo supposed to work on improving their handheld battery life?

Anyways, the price is the bigger concern here along with Software but there are a lot of people in here assuming that being a handheld/console combo already improves the appeal for some of the announced software.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Switch is gonna Wii U very fast, and it doesn't have the power of the Holidays to cushion its fall, it's launching in March. It'll sell 300K-ish on launch week, then probably drop down to less than 20K in a few weeks, then 4 digits until Splatoon 2 sells 1 million on its launch, and bumps Switch 1000%.

Ugh....the fact that the chances Switch could potentially Wii U are so high makes things....not good.

The switch is the Wii u 2: Wii 2 harder when it should have at least been the 3DS 2: 3DS harder

Oregano

But isn't Nintendo supposed to work on improving their handheld battery life?

Anyways, the price is the bigger concern here along with Software but there are a lot of people in here assuming that being a handheld/console combo already improves the appeal for some of the announced software.

Battery technology hasn't meaningfully advanced in the last few years. Switch Battery Life is low but any device with remotely similar performance has similar battery life too.

Mory Dunz

What I want to know about are the random 3DS games like:

Pikmin
Mario Sports Superstar
Ever Oasis
MHXX (kinda)
Wasn't there some random tanks game?

Mainly pikmin, mario sports, and ever oasis. Are those games really just going to release on 3DS by itself after Switch is out? Not that the 3DS can't support it, but stuff like Mario Sports seems like an obvious switch port to have near launch, no?
And what will Pikmin do for real...

Vena

It's looking like SMT5 is multiplatform btw. On the SMT 25th Site it's listed as "HD Project" alongside an unannounced 3DS Project.

Looking over the list again, I think we're pretty much going full convergence on software between PS4 and Switch in Japan. Tales of, SMT, Nippon Ichi (as a whole, seemingly), ArcSys (as a whole?), a bunch of SE stuff, etc.

What I want to know about are the random 3DS games like:

Pikmin
Mario Sports Superstar
Ever Oasis
MHXX (kinda)
Wasn't there some random tanks game?

Mainly pikmin, mario sports, and ever oasis. Are those games really just going to release on 3DS by itself after Switch is out? Not that the 3DS can't support it, but stuff like Mario Sports seems like an obvious switch port to have near launch, no?
And what will Pikmin do for real...

Well, as we've seen this year, 3DS still has life in it and Nintendo pretty clearly said they'd keep supporting it. And at the 2DS/3DS prices and Switch being a good bit more expensive, I don't see why those titles wouldn't be for the 3DS and 3DS only.

Heck, Atlus has another 3DS game apparently.

Oregano

Looking over the list again, I think we're pretty much going full convergence on software between PS4 and Switch in Japan. Tales of, SMT, Nippon Ichi (as a whole, seemingly), ArcSys (as a whole?), a bunch of SE stuff, etc.

Well, as we've seen this year, 3DS still has life in it and Nintendo pretty clearly said they'd keep supporting it. And at the 2DS/3DS prices and Switch being a good bit more expensive, I don't see why those titles wouldn't be for the 3DS and 3DS only.

Heck, Atlus has another 3DS game apparently.

Ehh so far Switch seems to have only picked up a handful of PS4 games and Disgaea 5 is the only one that wasn't Cross Gen. Not a great sign for it.

Busaiku

xrgChdh.jpg

Vena

Ehh so far Switch seems to have only picked up a handful of PS4 games and Disgaea 5 is the only one that wasn't Cross Gen. Not a great sign for it.

Well, yes, but there's not much left outside of that that isn't probably even going to be part of a conference like this and will trickle out like Fast Racing trickled out. I was thinking purely on that metric hence equating Tales of and SMT, whereas smaller things/sets of things like ArcSys and NipponIchi exist as... brands.

Obviously, it and PS4 will retain their sets of exclusives as this showed with Octopus Highway being Switch exclusive and Nintendo furthering Xenoblade.

Well, Japan had a good run.

The 3DS will save it!

?

AC: Egypt for Switch though! :p

I mean Ubisoft are going all casual again. EA also announced FIFA and that was just like Vita.

I look at the conference and I fail to see 'strong third party support'.

Nagoshi is Chief Creative Officer, so he oversees Sega Japan's internal games development. Yakuza is his main thing, but he covers other games, including Atlus.

I meant that he didn't name any games at all. I guess it was more of a show of confidence, though still weird that none of the SEGA games were specifically mentioned.

noshten

I think they are just planning Splatoon launch around the Japanese summer vacation. With this line up the initial launch is not going to be very impressive . Things will be stabilized by the Mario Kart release but really Splatoon bundle is what they are banking on - so question is really on what type of launch we are expecting for Splatoon 2 and how the game will be received in Japan.
I have no idea about the launch need to be reminded of launches of prior systems but that first launch shipments of 2 million will probably lead to a smaller amount of stock for the initial release and Japan

Anyhow I'm going with 3.5 million Squids n switches for Japan in 2017, Splatoon 8 player LANs outside is going to be a real thing happening in parks like PokemonGO - especially in Japan.

That's regardless of what other games get announced from here on out - Splatoon going to rescue Nintendo in Japan in 2017

Top Bottom