• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Sandfox

I wish I was as optimistic as the others in this thread.

We just had an event which was hyped for months and yet the big announcements with regards to third party from this event was.... meh.

They showed XB2 which looks like it won't be out until 2018 but had trouble showing other games in development set to launch in 2018? I don't believe it.

Capcom had so many potential announcements for Switch. AA, MH and even SF could have been announced, yet we heard nothing from them. Even Level 5 was absent.

SE had their DQ announcement but that was old news by then and Heroes pack-in is not some exciting 'system seller'.

It's not that people are being optimistic as much as you are being pessimistic.

duckroll

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I dunno, cheaper to buy, size that (kinda) fits the preferences of the Japanese market, which would lead to an increased user base to entice third parties to jump in?

The fact that you don't have a solid in-depth answer says it all. Imagine if you as a producer had to pitch that. How successful do you think you'd be?

wmlk

The fact that you don't have a solid in-depth answer says it all. Imagine if you as a producer had to pitch that. How successful do you think you'd be?

I didn't bother even trying to come up with an in-depth answer because it's pretty logical in and of itself. Look, I don't expect this thing to set the charts on fire whatever it is. Third-party publishers are more likely to develop for a system that would resonate more with the Japanese market. If they're interested in the Japanese market, it's not like they have any other option than mobile.

The actual system seller is right here.

C2CZR_rXEAEUtQm.jpg

They signed Street Fighter V up with Sony, so they couldn't use that.

I'm guessing they felt Street Fighter II was more appealing than Street Fighter IV at this point.
Could have announced UMVC 3 to make way for MVC: Infinite though.

eFKac

Lol weak launch line up, because it's missing some of the biggest IPs in Japan out of the gate?
PS4 would dream of having a launch line up like the Switch has.

It's gonna do fine, especially with Mario Kart 8 soon after launch and Splatoon 2 in the summer.

noshten

Splatoon 2 being demoed this weekend in Japan

@SplatoonSP
"At "Nintendo Switch Experience Meeting 2017" to be held from tomorrow, it seems that you can experience the battle of "Splatoon 2" as soon as possible."

Oregano

They signed Street Fighter V up with Sony, so they couldn't use that.

I'm guessing they felt Street Fighter II was more appealing than Street Fighter IV at this point.

It obviously has a certain appeal with the Nintendo nostalgia crowd but it's still just a weird product.

I guess Ryu DLC for Smash did well?:p

Kolx

What would happen to MH if the switch fails to sell? the 3ds will be dead by the end of next year probably so what is capcom going to do with the franchise? release it on PS4 and XOne?

casiopao

The lack of Mario Maker for Switch is truly a huge misopportunities there.

I really feel that Nintendo can do much better here even when i am still quite positive.

They really bad thing i feel from this is the pricing. I feel it is too expensive there.T_T

What would happen to MH if the switch fails to sell? the 3ds will be dead by the end of next year probably so what is capcom going to do with the franchise? release it on PS4 and XOne?
MH5 is coming to PS4/Switch because we all know it.

But seriously speaking, MHXX might be the last entry on 3DS and then they might try with multiplatform for MH5.

duckroll

Splatoon 2 being demoed this weekend in Japan

@SplatoonSP
"At "Nintendo Switch Experience Meeting 2017" to be held from tomorrow, it seems that you can experience the battle of "Splatoon 2" as soon as possible."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/experience.html

1 2 Switch, Arms, Mario Kart 8, and Zelda will also be demo'd. A bunch of the smaller third party titles will be playable too, including Street Fighter, Bomberman, Disgaea, Dragonball, etc.

Mario is not playable.

The absence of Capcpom and level 5 were really strange. Will they host their own event and announce their titles themselves? They can't have nothing in store for switch? Right?

Sandfox

I really feel that Nintendo can do much better here even when i am still quite positive.

They really bad thing i feel from this is the pricing. I feel it is too expensive there.T_T

I don't think it makes sense to announce a Mario Maker port given that the 3DS version just released last month and is still selling strong.

The absence of Capcpom and level 5 were really strange. Will they host their own event and announce their titles themselves? They can't have nothing in store for switch? Right?
I would be surprised if Inazuma wasn't a Switch title.

wmlk

Who even gives a shit about 1, 2, Switch? That has less appeal than Nintendo Land. They're not putting that out with the system itself this time, though.

casiopao

I guess we will see the same moment where Ninty try to kill 3DS to make third party devs move to Switch in upcoming future lol.

random25

Mario Maker on 3DS just got released, and doing pretty well. You don't want to burn out people with too much Mario Maker.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I didn't bother even trying to come up with an in-depth answer because it's pretty logical in and of itself. Look, I don't expect this thing to set the charts on fire whatever it is. Third-party publishers are more likely to develop for a system that would resonate more with the Japanese market. If they're interested in the Japanese market, it's not like they have any other option than mobile.

Which is exactly where they'll go. Notice how the 3DS isn't swimming in support. Japanese 3rd parties have already ditched Nintendo. Nintendo has to make it this enticing for them, not some misplaced idea that they have nowhere to go.

BriBri

http://www.dragonquest.jp/heroes1-2/?_ga=1.164248831.151541207.1484294394

They are having a stream on Sunday showing off the game. There are some new additions, and it also includes ALL the DLC from the two games on all platforms. It's definitely pricey, but it's basically an all in one package plus plus.

Edit: Not a stream, actual stage event at the Switch showcase in Japan this weekend.
Thanks for that!

Still, I might wait for bomba bins though as Zelda and Bomberman are my day ones!

noshten

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/experience.html

1 2 Switch, Arms, Mario Kart 8, and Zelda will also be demo'd. A bunch of the smaller third party titles will be playable too, including Street Fighter, Bomberman, Disgaea, Dragonball, etc.

Mario is not playable.

Cool - Zelda needs to be received really well for me to get a Switch earlier than the Splatoon launch.
What are the sales for Zelda in Japan traditionally anyway?

Anyhow according to this story someone already had a chance to try Splatoon and said it felt "faster". Japan is also bemoaning the untimely demise of the Dynamo Rollers and welcoming the new features like samurai rollers, strife and a jet pack...
According to the person who demoes it - playing Splatoon portable felt different because there are certain maneuvers you can do with your entire body, that are immediate in the game like turning the tablet around.

Below is the article if anyone is willing to provide more clarity on the information.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170113-00000069-zdn_pc-sci

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it's funny how, at every event/opportunity/milestone missed, the goalpost game re-start

Etrian oddissey 5 is clearly Switch game (nope)
Monster hunter stories is clearly a Switch game (nope)
Monster Hunter X is clearly a Switch game (nope)
Of cuorse Level5 games ar Switch games (...)
Of course there are NDAs going on (lol)
Of course they will lift the curtain in the preview (nope)
Of ourse they are keeping everything for the Jan event (nope)

Now we are at the "when the 3DS will stop selling they will unveil all the secret games"?
C'mon guys. Let's admit it: Swich isn't the savior of the Japanese dedicated market

What's the appeal in remastering FFXII on a system that already has FFXV, FFX, and FFX-2?

Lightning

I wish I was as optimistic as the others in this thread.

We just had an event which was hyped for months and yet the big announcements with regards to third party from this event was.... meh.

They showed XB2 which looks like it won't be out until 2018 but had trouble showing other games in development set to launch in 2018? I don't believe it.

Capcom had so many potential announcements for Switch. AA, MH and even SF could have been announced, yet we heard nothing from them. Even Level 5 was absent.

SE had their DQ announcement but that was old news by then and Heroes pack-in is not some exciting 'system seller'.

Except XBX sales and critical wise is nowhere close to XB 1.

FF is a series with wildly different entries where XII will cater to a specific set of fans while X-X2 are for the turn-based fans and XV is for action fans. Correct me if I am wrong but XB retains the series' combat so it is not like there is an incentive to play it on Switch. The story is set apart from XB1 so it won't matter to play for XB 2.

People expecting some gate release of third party titles were clearly off. Lots of major titles missed, upcoming and recently released. There were some nice surprises like SMTV and Tales.

I also think the direction change in XBC2 looks bad.

What are the sales for Zelda in Japan traditionally anyway?
Zelda games released this generation

Code:
WIU	The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD	53.620	85.380	Nintendo	3/10/2016
WIU	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD	31.154	66.445	Nintendo	9/26/2013
3DS	The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes	58.594	166.837	Nintendo	10/22/2015
3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D	236.536	469.082	Nintendo	2/14/2015
3DS	The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds	225.418	454.306	Nintendo	12/26/2013
3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D	182.998	636.571	Nintendo	6/16/2011

noshten

Online Paid is trending in Japan

Also this little bit of information

You can play NES, Super Nintendo and other softwares, which also corresponded to online play that was not released at the time of the launch, without any restrictions on a monthly basis.

Nintendo Switch software etc. will be offered at a special price only for people who pay for online

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/onlineservice/index.html

Zelda games released this generation

Thanks DLM, now only to find out prior gen's sales in Japan

Top Bottom