• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

Still makes me laugh that people think this system will flop like the Wii U. I honestly never had a doubt. The moment they showed the product, it looked like a winner.

Its sold worse than the Wii U after 4 weeks in Japan so I'm not sure what evidence you're taking from this. Nintendo systems always start strong, it's the months that follow that will be telling.

Boney

Banned
Is this more supply being available or test fire? I'd guess the former but since people are chiming in with splatoon... I bet it helped obviously, but software having a similar upwards trend should point of it being just supply constrained.

What's the word on last week shortages as well? Is it still hard to find? Those Zelda numbers are great, very positive word of mouth should keep it going very well, and depending on how switch performs it could very well break 700k easily.

That's probably a bit ambitious, its got 4 more weeks of being the switch game to get before mario kart comes along and eats its lunch, could see 750k combined by the end of the year though

I do agree its a bit ambitious, and on the upper end of what I think is possible, but I could see its word of mouth and people sharing stories of their different experiences keeping it active in peoples minds for awhile.

Whereas MK8D I think will sell really good up front, but will drop under it after a week or two (but still maintain good sales for a while as a evergreen title)

MTC100

Banned
Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)
Code:
|  NSW  |     [B]78.441[/B] |     49.913 |

giphy.gif

Looks like Nintendo is already pumping up production.

Its sold worse than the Wii U after 4 weeks in Japan so I'm not sure what evidence you're taking from this. Nintendo systems always start strong, it's the months that follow that will be telling.

The WiiU was released in Q4, naturally there would be higher sales. The Switch is also selling out with people attending a lottery for the chance of buying one in Japan...

Is this more supply being available or test fire? I'd guess the former but since people are chiming in with splatoon... I bet it helped obviously, but software having a similar upwards trend should point of it being just supply constrained.

What's the word on last week shortages as well? Is it still hard to find? Those Zelda numbers are great, very positive word of mouth should keep it going very well, and depending on how switch performs it could very well break 700k easily.

The sheer length of the game (and the promise if DLC down the line) should keep at some copies out of ending up on the 2nd hand market which its likely 2nd hand copies negatively affected twilight princesses sales on the Wii

E-phonk

Banned
Those Zelda numbers are great, very positive word of mouth should keep it going very well, and depending on how switch performs it could very well break 700k easily.

Also: we don't know what the DLC brings. It could easily add some hyped features AND get a DLC bundled "GOTY" like edition later on.

L~A

13./19. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980) - 6.952 / 57.708 (+25%)

Konami must be really happy about this one. I think it's a definite shot at 100k LTD. We'll see when more games are released, if SBR benefits from them, or if it gets "replaced".

Branduil

Where is this weird idea that Nintendo won't make a sequel to Mario Maker coming from? Since when has Nintendo been sequel-averse?

That's probably a bit ambitious, its got 4 more weeks of being the switch game to get before mario kart comes along and eats its lunch, could see 750k combined by the end of the year though

BotW is going to have looooooooooooong legs. I don't know if it will be enough for 1 million in Japan but the game is going to keep selling some amount as long as the Switch is selling. I expect it will get a nice bump for the holidays too, especially with DLC coming out.

Mokujin

From my point of view people overlooking Mario Kart because "its just a port" are really underestimating how it will affect Switch, it's going to be an evergreen Switch title 100% and carry it easily till Splatoon hits, it's kind of crazy that is only 4 weeks away.

750k is my revised expectations for it combined. It'll be tough to tell until it starts showing actual decline rather than mimicking Switch hardware sales though.

Peléo;232976102 said:
For those curious, this are the Zelda sales:

All:

Console only:

Attach rates:

Legend of Zelda 11%
Adventures of Link 7%
A Link to the Past 9%
Ocarina of Time 23%
Majora's Mask 10%
Wind Waker 20%
Twilight Princess 7%
Skyward Sword 4%

Thanks, appreciate it but I was referencing JP only, although I still think BoTW will be the best selling Zelda WW by the time its all said and done.

phanphare

Banned
Where is this weird idea that Nintendo won't make a sequel to Mario Maker coming from? Since when has Nintendo been sequel-averse?

I think it's less that people think Nintendo wouldn't do a sequel and more that Super Mario Maker specifically doesn't need to be branded as a sequel. it can just be Super Mario Maker for Switch and have a bunch of shit added anyway.

From my point of view people overlooking Mario Kart because "its just a port" are really underestimating how it will affect Switch, it's going to be an evergreen Switch title 100% and carry it easily till Splatoon hits, it's kind of crazy that is only 4 weeks away.

In no way do I think MK8D will sell bad, I think both it and Zelda will sell very well and will be the #1 and #2 switch games (with which one sells better changing on a weekly basis) until Splatoon2, and at that time they will both drop to #2 and #3 but both being evergreen titles for the year, at which time Zelda will start to drop off but MK8D will keep on chugging.

Branduil

Peléo;232976102 said:
For those curious, this are the Zelda sales:

All:

Console only:

Attach rates:

Legend of Zelda 11%
Adventures of Link 7%
A Link to the Past 9%
Ocarina of Time 23%
Majora's Mask 10%
Wind Waker 20%
Twilight Princess 7%
Skyward Sword 4%

I really think BotW could be the first Zelda to shatter the 10 million mark. It's going to have the longevity of Twilight Princess, but moreso.

Just let them keep doing this same song and dance. I have no clue why Mario Kart is being dismissed. It doesn't matter it's a port. It's got some new things in it that will bring Wii U fans to buy it and also it's on a brand new system (Switch), which will reach a bigger audience for Nintendo to sell to.

Branduil

I think it's less that people think Nintendo wouldn't do a sequel and more that Super Mario Maker specifically doesn't need to be branded as a sequel. it can just be Super Mario Maker for Switch and have a bunch of shit added anyway.

There's a reason that games are branded as sequels though, even when they're merely iterative.

I'm one of those people who believe it has a chance of outselling the Wii U version. I think folks are underestimating the number of double-dippers combined with the number of consumers who've never purchased a Wii U.

Peléo

Thanks, appreciate it but I was referencing JP only, although I still think BoTW will be the best selling Zelda WW by the time its all said and done.

Japan only is something close to this:

Legend of Zelda 1.7m
Adventures of Link 1.6m
A Link to the Past 1.2m
Ocarina of Time 1.5m
Majora's Mask 730k
Wind Waker 900k
Twilight Princess 600k
Skyward Sword 400k

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just let them keep doing this same song and dance. I have no clue why Mario Kart is being dismissed. It doesn't matter it's a port. It's got some new things in it that will bring Wii U fans to buy it and also it's on a brand new system (Switch), which will reach a bigger audience for Nintendo to sell to.
Anecdotal evidence, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the 5th best selling on amazon.fr since 2017, and the 1st best selling game right now.

Emhemed

Still makes me laugh that people think this system will flop like the Wii U. I honestly never had a doubt. The moment they showed the product, it looked like a winner.

The WiiU had a great start actually. It's difficult to judge whether a system is going to be a success or not based on launch sales alone.

MTC100

Banned
I really think BotW could be the first Zelda to shatter the 10 million mark. It's going to have the longevity of Twilight Princess, but moreso.

I'm a bit shocked how bad it performs on the WiiU worldwide though, considering the WiiU has a Userbase of about 14 milion... -I guess no one cares for the system anymore and wants Zelda on the new console.

Peléo;232976738 said:
Japan only is something close to this:

Legend of Zelda 1.7m
Adventures of Link 1.6m
A Link to the Past 1.2m
Ocarina of Time 1.5m
Majora's Mask 730k
Wind Waker 900k
Twilight Princess 600k
Skyward Sword 400k

Thanks! I could see it end up being in the 1.2-1.7 range Lifetime after sales, a few holidays, the DLC boost, etc, and maybe a bundle or two.

Top Bottom