• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2017 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
3M YTD: 62.4k/week

All it takes to reach that would be a few big weeks around Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Dragon Quest XI, and Mario Odyssey, any sort of small holiday bump, and a base of 30k/week in between. This doesn't account for any future titles that could be plopped down in the second half of the year to bolster the line up.

Sure, but at the same time, I feel like the Switch is still missing all that software in between those pillars, and that's still assuming DQXI releases this year (I hope it does, but I'm pessimistic lol).

Lol, the Switch optimism is off the charts here. I think it'll do well, but Nintendo would be crazy to release Smash and Pokemon this year. They'd be basically out of the big sellers apart from Animal Crossing for the future...

Also Chris, why are you convinced that the Switch will easily sell 3M this year? Isn't it still rather early? Sales could plummet between now and Golden Week or in the summer months still right? (We're still assuming that Nintendo will not delay ANY of their projects announced, Splatoon 2 especially).

The lineup is just really strong, esp if the rumors turned out true. I would go on to say it's the strongest lineup any system ever in any particular year.

And why would Splatoon 2 get delayed? Didn't they just had a successful open beta?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We knew this but Famitsu mentioned Switch was out of stock last week too.

Nintendo earnings report is at 27 April.

Speaking of the earnings.

Nintendo had the 3DS at 23.13m shipped in Japan as of the end of 2016.

3DS sales is at ~22.6m as of march, 2017

Looks like it was over shipped last quarter, Q1 shipment should be minimal.

Lol, the Switch optimism is off the charts here. I think it'll do well, but Nintendo would be crazy to release Smash and Pokemon this year. They'd be basically out of the big sellers apart from Animal Crossing for the future...

Also Chris, why are you convinced that the Switch will easily sell 3M this year? Isn't it still rather early? Sales could plummet between now and Golden Week or in the summer months still right? (We're still assuming that Nintendo will not delay ANY of their projects announced, Splatoon 2 especially).

Outside of Japan I'm still skeptical that the switch will see such continued strong sales. In Japan I don't think there is any question. It's still selling out instantly with no end in sight and that's basically just based on interest in the switch itself. Unlike the rest of the world Zelda isn't a big HW mover anymore. If it's selling this well with its current SW line-up it's hard to see it not selling amazing with games like splatoon coming up.

jonno394

PS4 will probably be at around 5.5m - 6m at the end of 2017. Do you think the Switch will sell this much this year?

I think the general thought process behind this is that the Switch is more handheld than console, so it's sales have a higher overall potential than traditional home consoles (see DS/3DS PSP sales vs consoles). Add this to the fact it has guaranteed million+ sellers as well as console movers coming over the next 3 months or so in Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, and it's easy to see why many believe the Switch will be standing at several million sold after just 9 months on the market.

Just for reference, the PS4 sold 970.667 by the end of 2014 which is a comparable period of time from launch as the switch is.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think the general thought process behind this is that the Switch is more handheld than console, so it's sales have a higher overall potential than traditional home consoles (see DS/3DS PSP sales vs consoles). Add this to the fact it has guaranteed million+ sellers as well as console movers coming over the next 3 months or so in Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, and it's easy to see why many believe the Switch will be standing at several million sold after just 9 months on the market.

Just for reference, the PS4 sold 970.667 by the end of 2014 which is a comparable period of time from launch as the switch is.
I agree that the Switch is the successor to the 3DS and should be compared to 3DS. Personally i'm expecting the Switch to do around 15m LTD in Japan. I'm just asking if he agrees or disagree with the Switch selling around 6m this year, since he mentioned that people said that the Switch wouldnt outsell the PS4 this year.

EDIT: Could mention that i think it will be at least around 15m, could be more too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I agree that the Switch is the successor to the 3DS and should be compared to 3DS. Personally i'm expecting the Switch to do around 15m LTD in Japan. I'm just asking if he agrees or disagree with the Switch selling around 6m this year, since he mentioned that people said that the Switch wouldnt outsell the PS4 this year.

YTD

Isn't it when they set unrealistic goals on how much they think they will sell for the rest of the year right?
I don't really care about that. I'm hoping for E3 tidbits like we got last year from Kimishima. He was the one who told us BotW would be the focus at E3. Maybe he'll say something again. It's no big deal because by that point we'll only be one month and some change away from E3.

LOCK

Speaking of the earnings.

Nintendo had the 3DS at 23.13m shipped in Japan as of the end of 2016.

3DS sales is at ~22.6m as of march, 2017

Looks like it was over shipped last quarter, Q1 shipment should be minimal.
Is that including the 2DS?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sinobi who was very sceptical before Switch launch has rised his expectations up.
Wii U situation, that dived after hoiday season, has been avoided.

It seems that shipment quantity has adjusted considerably finely.
Additional shipments are sold out each time, and there is a feeling of hunger in the market.

Mario Kart 8 in April, "ARMS" in spring plan is good,

After these there is Splatoon 2...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

new releases

{2017.04.11}
[PS4] Kero Blaster _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <STG> (Active Gaming Media) (¥907)

{2017.04.12}
[3DS] Osomatsu-San: Neat Dasshutsu Spiral!! _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (FuRyu) (¥500)
[3DS] Cup Critters |New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Cosen) (¥277)
[WIU] Cup Critters _Wii U Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Cosen) (¥277)

{2017.04.13}
[PSV] RepKiss # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PSV] RepKiss (Limited Edition Virtual Box) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥9.250)
[PSV] RepKiss (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.074)
[PSV] Zero Escape: The Nonary Games <Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors \ Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward> <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.480)
[PSV] Zero Escape: The Nonary Games <Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors \ Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward> (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.480)
[PSV] Salt and Sanctuary _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Ska Studios) (¥1.648)
[PS4] RepKiss # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PS4] RepKiss (Limited Edition Virtual Box) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥9.250)
[PS4] RepKiss (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.074)
[PS4] Zero Escape: The Nonary Games <Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors \ Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward> <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.980)
[PS4] Zero Escape: The Nonary Games <Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors \ Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward> (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.980)
[PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami) (¥3.980)
[PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami) (¥3.980)

{2017.04.14}
[PS4] Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (CrossFunction) (¥1.388)

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross < 40k (average 35k)
02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild < 30k (average 25k)
03. < 15k

hiska-kun

Next week numbers will see a major drop for both hardware and software. Switch probably will be the exception because is supply constrained.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 100
  2. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars - 32
  3. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 24
  4. [PS4] Lego Worlds - 23
  5. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 15
  6. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 14
  7. [PS4] Warriors Stars - 13
  8. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 12
  9. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 11
  10. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 11
  11. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 11
  12. [PSV] Warriors Stars - 9
  13. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 8
  14. [PSV] Blue Reflection - 7
  15. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 7
  16. [PS4] Blue Reflection - 7
  17. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 7
  18. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX - 6
  19. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 6
  20. [PSV] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Declassified - 5
Preorders
[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 145
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 79
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 73
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 53
[3DS] Famista Whatever - 19
[PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 18
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 16
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 12
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 11
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 11

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
&#332;kami;233638447 said:
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 100
  2. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars - 32
  3. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 24
  4. [PS4] Lego Worlds - 23
  5. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 15
  6. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 14
  7. [PS4] Warriors Stars - 13
  8. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 12
  9. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 11
  10. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 11
  11. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 11
  12. [PSV] Warriors Stars - 9
  13. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 8
  14. [PSV] Blue Reflection - 7
  15. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 7
  16. [PS4] Blue Reflection - 7
  17. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 7
  18. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX - 6
  19. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 6
  20. [PSV] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Declassified - 5
Preorders
[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 145
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 79
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 73
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 53
[3DS] Famista Whatever - 19
[PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 18
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 16
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 12
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 11
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 11

That doesn't seem that bad for Lego Worlds?.... Apart from Lego City Undercover/Chase Begins, they typically debuted < 5K.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 14, 2017 (Apr 03 - Apr 09)

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
02./02. [3DS] Mario Sports Super Stars <SPT> (Nintendo)
03./03. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment)
05./09. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
06./08. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./06. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
08./04. [PS4] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
09./05. [PS4] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
10./07. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
11./11. [PSV] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
12./21. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./10. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
14./12. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
15./20. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
16./22. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
17./15. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
18./14. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
19./17. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
20./23. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 14, 2017 (Apr 03 - Apr 09)

01./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
02./00. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G (Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
03./06. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
04./11. [3DS] Pro Baseball: Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco)
05./03. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
06./13. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami)
07./12. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
08./16. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
09./00. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
10./09. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 13, 2017 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 14 2017

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
02./06. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
03./03. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment)
05./02. [PS4] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
06./09. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./08. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
08./11. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./05. [PSV] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
10./10. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
11./04. [PS4] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
12./13. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
13./21. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
14./07. [PSV] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
15./12. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
16./15. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
17./14. [PS4] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
18./18. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
19./19. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
20./17. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)

L~A

Looks like a pretty "good" debut for LEGO Worlds (compared to other LEGO games), real question is legs. The low price should help.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't think many people thought the switch would sell less than 2 million units this year. Especially not enough to fret over it.

I'm among those fews!
Ready to be blamed by Chris and other sales-Gaffers.
Let's see how the Switch will hold after the shipment constraints.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You were really pessimistic. Honest question, what is your stance one month after the launch?

that the "preorder" era we live in, the "Wii U death" we faced in the last 8 months software/pr-wise and the Zelda hype and inflated the launch numbers and that the "supply" constraints created a "fuzzy" situation in terms of actual concrete doable numbers (at least in Japan: for the West we have even less information about a possible "steady" sales rhythm for the console)

but I was pessimistic also about rought launch numbers, that clearly are GREAT, especially in the West (record launch debut for a Nintendo console, record launch debut for a Nintendo game and so on, with Zelda able to be the best seller in Spain and Germany despite the non-existent install base and so on) so I was WRONG about the launch, let's see if I was WRONG also about the YtD results

I think that MK8Deluxe will be the real test, because it's not a launch title, it's not pushed by the launch hype of a new console, it's not even a brand new game, it's not only an "hardcore" game for hardcore fans.

I think that if MK8D will see great numbers, pushing also the hw ones, there will be no "justification" for its success and it will demonstrate how the Switch can be more popular than the Wii U disaster, even with a "remaster". If it will succeed, it will probably demonstrates how the Switch can at least partially bring a wider audience in.

So, here on the wall of shame about the launch :)
(and happy about it)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So combining a few Matsuda (Square Enix's CEO) statements from various interviews and places, he's given a picture of what the mobile market was like, where it is heading, and Square Enix's strategy within it.

Old mobile market:

At first, it was possible to compete and see great success by either taking an existing game template and applying a stronger brand and/or better production values.

Afterwards, it was possible to compete by doing that same strategy, but combining two existing templates into one game. For example, you might have your standard phone RPG, but you would add a town building element, and that would help attract an audience that wanted that experience in one title.

New mobile market:

The market is much more competitive these days. Fate/Grand Order has both a very strong brand, and a 200+ person development team pumping out impressive updates with fantastic production values every two weeks, so it's very difficult to try to and upstage existing mobile titans.

As such, the games that succeed these days are the ones that feel much more unique, and that will be Square Enix's strategy for this fiscal year and beyond. Mind, obviously there's a lead time on development, so we might still see a few games that are basically templated on existing formulas first.

Matsuda gives Pokemon Go as an example of a game that didn't really have a strong 11 experience match prior to it release and saw great success. I would add in Clash Royale as another example. Both are notable in that they also shook up the Western market, which is much more stagnant and entrenched than Japan.

Square Enix's titles in the first half of last fiscal year had a lot of trouble succeeding, which prompted this change, along with having beta periods for all their titles to address some quality issues. Their games released in the second half of last fiscal year had more success (due to the beta periods increasing quality), but they were still relatively modest compared to their flagship titles, which were established earlier and proceeded to grow stronger on the basis of strong economies of scale.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So combining a few Matsuda (Square Enix's CEO) statements from various interviews and places, he's given a picture of what the mobile market was like, where it is heading, and Square Enix's strategy within it.

Old mobile market:

At first, it was possible to compete and see great success by either taking an existing game template and applying a stronger brand and/or better production values.

Afterwards, it was possible to compete by doing that same strategy, but combining two existing templates into one game. For example, you might have your standard phone RPG, but you would add a town building element, and that would help attract an audience that wanted that experience in one title.

New mobile market:

The market is much more competitive these days. Fate/Grand Order has both a very strong brand, and a 200+ person development team pumping out impressive updates with fantastic production values every two weeks, so it's very difficult to try to and upstage existing mobile titans.

As such, the games that succeed these days are the ones that feel much more unique, and that will be Square Enix's strategy for this fiscal year and beyond. Mind, obviously there's a lead time on development, so we might still see a few games that are basically templated on existing formulas first.

Matsuda gives Pokemon Go as an example of a game that didn't really have a strong 11 experience match prior to it release and saw great success. I would add in Clash Royale as another example. Both are notable in that they also shook up the Western market, which is much more stagnant and entrenched than Japan.

Square Enix's titles in the first half of last fiscal year had a lot of trouble succeeding, which prompted this change, along with having beta periods for all their titles to address some quality issues. Their games released in the second half of last fiscal year had more success (due to the beta periods increasing quality), but they were still relatively modest compared to their flagship titles, which were established earlier and proceeded to grow stronger on the basis of strong economies of scale.

Pokémon Go's main strength was Pokémon. The developer literally released a very similar game before it and it's success was nowhere close to go's

that the "preorder" era we live in, the "Wii U death" we faced in the last 8 months software/pr-wise and the Zelda hype and inflated the launch numbers and that the "supply" constraints created a "fuzzy" situation in terms of actual concrete doable numbers (at least in Japan: for the West we have even less information about a possible "steady" sales rhythm for the console)

but I was pessimistic also about rought launch numbers, that clearly are GREAT, especially in the West (record launch debut for a Nintendo console, record launch debut for a Nintendo game and so on, with Zelda able to be the best seller in Spain and Germany despite the non-existent install base and so on) so I was WRONG about the launch, let's see if I was WRONG also about the YtD results

I think that MK8Deluxe will be the real test, because it's not a launch title, it's not pushed by the launch hype of a new console, it's not even a brand new game, it's not only an "hardcore" game for hardcore fans.

I think that if MK8D will see great numbers, pushing also the hw ones, there will be no "justification" for its success and it will demonstrate how the Switch can be more popular than the Wii U disaster, even with a "remaster". If it will succeed, it will probably demonstrates how the Switch can at least partially bring a wider audience in.

So, here on the wall of shame about the launch :)
(and happy about it)

No need for a wall of shame,at least your arguments made sense :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pokémon Go's main strength was Pokémon. The developer literally released a very similar game before it and it's success was nowhere close to go's
I don't think he's talking about revolutionary changes, but Ingress -> Pokemon Go does have an evolution of things you can do to make it feel more like a more attractive game.

Obviously brand is still notably important, but note that this game succeeded where the other Pokemon branded mobile games did not (such as the Pokemon Match-3 title), and there wasn't already a multi-hundred-million earning game in the genre.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think he's talking about revolutionary changes, but Ingress -> Pokemon Go does have an evolution of things you can do to make it feel more like a game.

Obviously brand is still notably important.

Yeah and I'm saying he's completely wrong in that example. You can release exact same title with a different IP and it wouldn't be close to Pokémon go's success at what it does. It's absolutely primary reason for it's strength. You have to care the creatures your collecting which is why people latched on not the slightly more novel means to do. It's not exclusive to brand (if the theoretical Pokémon go had extremely appealing creatures to capture it would do well). But that has little to do with the gameplay innovation itself and more the exploitation of the IP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah and I'm saying he's completely wrong in that example. You can release exact same title with a different IP and it wouldn't be close to Pokémon go's success at what it does. It's absolutely primary reason for it's strength. You have to care the creatures your collecting which is why people latched on not the slightly more novel means to do. It's not exclusive to brand (if the theoretical Pokémon go had extremely appealing creatures to capture it would do well). But that has little to do with the gameplay innovation itself and more the exploitation of the IP.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel that Pokemon Duels and Pokemon Shuffle didn't do nearly as well on mobile?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Out of curiosity, why do you feel that Pokemon Duels and Pokemon Shuffle didn't do nearly as well on mobile?

Because of the core concept of how they interacted with the IP was not strong or appealing as a consumer. The core sell of Pokémon finding collecting and training/levelling up Pokémon, with some battling mixed in. That's always been the core selling motivator. It's why Pokémon cards did well, Pokémon games did well and why it's so easy to merchandise etc. Simply interacting or having a light gameplay attached isn't enough.

Take Grand Order the main sell is the lore behind servants their stats battles and VN like story. Attaching bewelled liked gameplay to FSN and calling it a day would not result in the same success.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Because of the core concept of how they interacted with the IP was not strong or appealing as a consumer. The core sell of Pokémon finding collecting and training/levelling up Pokémon, with some battling mixed in. That's always been the core selling motivator. It's why Pokémon cards did well, Pokémon games did well and why it's so easy to merchandise etc. Simply interacting or having a light gameplay attached isn't enough.

Take Grand Order the main sell is the lore behind servants their stats battles and VN like story. Attaching bewelled liked gameplay to FSN and calling it a day would not result in the same success.

So you're saying making a title that highlights the uniqueness and selling points of the IP is important, instead of just taking a successful mobile template and slapping on a brand, even if that type of gameplay doesn't necessarily have a successful title in the market already?

duckroll

Then it sounds like the main strength of why it became as popular as it did wasn't Pokemon. Maybe what you mean is that Pokemon as a brand is the main reason behind the potential it had. But it wasn't why that potential was tapped. Ignoring the fact that the Ingress formula as a large scale real world social experiment fit Pokemon so well is foolish.

Top Bottom