• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Orgen

It'd be fun to see what would all the usual suspects advocating for a multiplatform Monster Hunter release think if a game like Final Fantasy VII Remake gets announced for Switch.

cheesekao

It'd be fun to see what would all the usual suspects advocating for a multiplatform Monster Hunter release think if a game like Final Fantasy VII Remake gets announced for Switch.
I wouldn't really care because I'm all for consoles in general doing well. Besides, FF7:R was never announced as an exclusive anyway.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I would like this to happen just for the meltdowns here.

I expect it to be multiplatform I mean that's literally what square said. I'm more surprised when people say firs means all parts must be out before releasing on another platform. I mean where is that said because it could very well take 10 years before all parts are released and it doesn't mean much sense to wait if SE have any multiplatform plans for it.

Shahed

If it can run legitimately on the Switch then I don't see why not. It'd end up being a late port since Sony seem to have paid for some timed exclusivity with their first on PS4 thing, but after that it's fair game.

Fdkn

You say that as if NX/Switch begging for FFVII Remake had not happened a million times in this forum already

Difference is that porting Switch version of MH for PS4 will be easy job but porting graphics heavy AAA game from PS4 to Switch will have to have a lot of compromises. I still really don't see any graphics heavy AAA games making it to the Switch. Japanese or Western.

jonno394

I dont think dq11 will outsell ffxv because its sales are split 3 ways, i dont think ffvii will because its multiple games and its an action rpg.

Could be wrong though of course.

DQ XI Japan will massively outsell FF XV in Japan.

DQ XI worldwide probably won't outsell FF XV worldwide.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Difference is that porting Switch version of MH for PS4 will be easy job but porting graphics heavy AAA game from PS4 to Switch will have to have a lot of compromises. I still really don't see any graphics heavy AAA games making it to the Switch. Japanese or Western.

Depends really I mean most of the engines are scale these days and while it's large I isn't that vast if there's a will. The question has always been has there been a will.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No Dengeki charts yet? I thought they would'be already up right now, but nothing in sight on dengekionline.com

It'd be a thread for the archives for sure ;D

Yeah, indeed.

Where did I hear the "for the archives" already...

Orgen

You say that as if NX/Switch begging for FFVII Remake had not happened a million times in this forum already

First of all the begging for FF VII Remake is not comparable to the several years we are seeing the Monster Hunter Vita/PS4 posts and you know it :p

Second I was not comparing the begging for both games. I'm all for multiplatform releases (it makes sense seeing how much the development costs has risen these past years) but I'm in for all third party games, not just Monster Hunter. And I'm pretty sure some of the usual suspects are only fine when the multiplatform releases suit their platform of choice :)

Depends really I mean most of the engines are scale these days and while it's large I isn't that vast if there's a will. The question has always been has there been a will.

Engine scaling only takes you so far. I mean for example something like FF XV is already running 720p on Xbox One with some framerate drops. You would have to change a lot to get it running on Switch (especially as everything has to run in handheld mode too).

Hey. You said you heard about a game that Nintendo might show (at E3?) and it would be one for the archives on Neogaf. Now you're talking about "what if FFVIIR get announced for Switch?"

You making me wonder 🤔

It'd be a thread for the archives for sure ;D

Lol! I didn't even see you posted this. I just remember in the Epic Japan (20+ UE4 games for Switch) topic you said you heard about a game coming to Switch I believe.

I've always thought FFVIIR was coming to Switch (Square never said it was exclusive to PS4). Square would be dumb. But man how crazy would it be that Square left to Sony because the Nintendo 64 had cartridges and now Square brings back that same game to Nintendo 20 years later to the Switch which uses cartridges!

I dunno I would be fine with it. Multiplats are good. I think multiplat MH makes sense, it really has nothing to do with preferred platform. FF7:Re isnt even a real game anyway :p

I think a more likely scenario in the near term is for Kingdom Hearts 3 to get announced. I don't know if there would be meltdowns over that though.

Also, I think Capcom's smart choice is to go multiplat for Monster Hunter. Losing Nintendo's western support could hurt though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Engine scaling only takes you so far. I mean for example something like FF XV is already running 720p on Xbox One with some framerate drops. You would have to change a lot to get it running on Switch.

Pretty sure that sorta power range scaling is largely alright. As long their alright with sub HD and likely dynamic resolution and further downgrade in graphics it's fine. This isn't some insurmountable gap. You see those sorts of gaps within the same game on pc reasonably often. Of course the weaker version can often look like dogshit but it's hardly unplayable.

Japanese devs were constrained by the Vita, games were still made.

Waji

Engine scaling only takes you so far. I mean for example something like FF XV is already running 720p on Xbox One with some framerate drops. You would have to change a lot to get it running on Switch (especially as everything has to run in handheld mode too).
FF 15 doesn't run with the same engine as 7 does it ?
And when I see how messy it is I wonder if they had the time to properly adjust everything.

In the end it all matters on the companies choice and if they think there's money to make.
The Switch is still easily stronger than the Wii U which could run some very nice looking game already
but didn't have the user base to do much

sense

Well, we already know it was announced as being "first" on PS4 so I am sure everybody knows it is coming to other platforms. Switch would obviously be a surprise but after cloud amiibo I think it will probably happen. I would only be pissed if they did a dq kind of thing and made the combat and the look different for the switch version aka turn based or something. I love turn based and kinda sad they are going the action route for the remake.

Well, we already know it was announced as being "first" on PS4 so I am sure everybody knows it is coming to other platforms. Switch would obviously be a surprise but after cloud amiibo I think it will probably happen. I would only be pissed if they did a dq kind of thing and made the combat and the look different for the switch version aka turn based or something. I love turn based and kinda sad they are going the action route for the remake.

I'm sad Square felt the need to go the action route instead of leaving it turnbased, but I guess it makes it more "appealing".

Dystify

Hey. You said you heard about a game that Nintendo might show (at E3?) and it would be one for the archives on Neogaf. Now you're talking about "what if FFVIIR get announced for Switch?"

You making me wonder 🤔

Lol! I didn't even see you posted this. I just remember in the Epic Japan (20+ UE4 games for Switch) topic you said you heard about a game coming to Switch I believe.

I've always thought FFVIIR was coming to Switch (Square never said it was exclusive to PS4). Square would be dumb. But man how crazy would it be that Square left to Sony because the Nintendo 64 had cartridges and now Square brings back that same game to Nintendo 20 years later to the Switch which uses cartridges!

Here's what he said:
I heard about a game that was planned (months ago) that if it ends up being true will get a thread for the archives. Let's see what happens at E3 this year!

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233943659#post233943659

Sure sounds like he's talking about FFVIIR.

Why? Why develop different games (which arent even different, it will be almost identical gameplay) on all different platforms when its the same people buying these games anyway? This would piss me off more than their yearly G updates. Don't spread the fans of the series out.

Why not just make the series Multiplat? Especially given they just merged the titles from split to only mainline literally last gen.

The Switch is strong enough that this shouldnt be an issue. A strong Switch version upgraded on PS4/X1/PC will go over fine.

It was. You werent looking hard enough.

Because making a compromise will inevitably affect both versions. Look at DQ and how they've effectively made two versions of the game. Yes thats on 3DS, but the gap with Switch and PS4 is substantial enough to cause significant compromises. 

You do know FF7R was announced first on PS4 since its very first reveal lol
Though I'm curious on how bad the downgrade would be to make it run on SW. The gap is probably too big to have it on SW but we'll see what SE comes up with.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Clearly ARMS is the new Splatoon!

If ARMS shows LEGS, we'll need an image, just like the one we had for Splatoon.

Wait, we already have something

15876823_253086098460427_6096749296927899648_n.jpg

Sort of

7Th

Persona 5 on Switch is perfectly possible, it's a PS3 game after all. FFVII Remake on Switch? I doubt the Switch can even run FFXV.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Finally a comparison with good selling systems for Switch :)
Apart from Wii, biggest loser from all these is GBA that despite starting so strong didn't have the software to support it. Lack of big sellers except Pokemon and early 3DS launch shortened its LTD a lot.

Zedark

Persona 5 on Switch is perfectly possible, it's a PS3 game after all. FFVII Remake on Switch? I doubt the Switch can even run FFXV.

Well, Luminous Engine (FFXV engine) is reportedly a hell to scale down even to XB1 level, so FFXV is likely much harder to port to Switch than FFVII:R will be.

The proof is there. If it wasn't good it wouldn't be selling out. Are you telling me the Wii U was more supply constrained? I seriously can't believe there's still doubt.
What he's saying is theoretically it could be the same group who bought Wii U in its first month, just necessarily more spread out because of supply constraints. Put another way, Switch has proven its sales don't go to shit after 5 weeks, but it hasn't yet proven they don't go to shit after hitting 700K.
sphinx said:
at what point will MC/Famitsu stop tracking PS3, WiiU and X1?

is there a historic precedent about when that happens?

PS3 for instance.... that's so damn old, why is it even in stores other than for retro collectors?
Looking back at some past cases...
Xbox: End of 2006, when it was usually getting single digits or 0.
GBA: End of 2007, when it was getting down to not much over 100.
GCN: End of 2007, when it was usually under 100.
PS2: End of 2012, when it was still getting about 1000 a week. Checking now, Sony announced the end of production in January 2013, so it couldn't have gone much longer anyway.
Herb Alpert said:
So, naive and honest question, does it mean that porting I am setsuna was worth the investment? I am sure SQUEX didn't expect it to set the world on fire, maybe the numbers are good enough for them.
I kind of had the idea that Unity games were very easy to move across platforms, and it was built around PSV limitations Switch would have no problems matching or beating, so beyond changing the names of buttons and that Temporal Battle Arena it doesn't seem like something that would've taken much effort?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even with being UE4, the power needed to run FF7R desirably is not going to disappear.
No but there's far more wiggle room in terms of optimization. Since there's so little shown if SE is serious about porting there's little reason to believe they won't be able to. That's if they're serious about it.

jeremy1456

There's no reason for release a PS4 or Switch exclusive on Japan right now and I think Capcom will do this with MH 5. Unless Nintendo or Sony help her ($$$) in the development

And I don't understand why there's some people here who want the game to be exclusive

There's no reason for multiplat either. It simply wouldn't sell that nearly as well on a home console, and would give them more servers to manage and they would lose their advertising partnership with Nintendo.

It makes more sense for them to keep it exclusive.

As the last viable platform for Monster Hunter to sell multi-millions on Capcom needs the Switch.

Nintendo however doesn't need Capcom for the Switch to be a success.

LordKano

DQ Heroes 2 for the Switch was already a massive downgrade. FFVIIR is a whole notch above that.

Yes, also Dynasty Warriors 8 at PS4 launch, which was a PS3 port half-assed on PS4, was clearly demonstrative of the console's full potential. Koei Tecmo couldn't do any better.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Have you seen Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for the Switch?
Sure it'll be large downgrade like most handheld posts of console games. Consumers are used to that and it's hardly new. The question is if it would sell and the answer most probably.

cheesekao

There's no reason for multiplat either. It simply wouldn't sell that nearly as well on a home console, and would give them more servers to manage and they would lose their advertising partnership with Nintendo.

As the last viable platform for Monster Hunter to sell multi-millions on Capcom needs the Switch.

You'd have a point if Capcom were some small ass company. The thing is, they aren't.

Shahed

Why would they lose an advertisement partnership if it's not exclusive? Do Microsoft and Sony not advertise 3rd party games even when they appear on another platform? Heck both Sony and Microsoft dedicated Conference stage time to FFXV and MGSV at separate events.

Nintendo can still advertise for a game on Switch even if it releases elsewhere

And yes it will sell more on Switch than PS4, that's a given. Doesn't mean the additional sales on PS4 are useless. With that mentality we wouldn't get multiplatform games, everything would go lead platform. That's like saying FFXV and MGSV shouldn't release on Xbox One and PC since the majority of sales will be on PS4, which is silly

Top Bottom