• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

jeremy1456

I wish Capcom would just announce platforms for MH already so we can stop having the discussion every MC.

It won't end. There will be the inevitable argument that 'it doesn't make sense not to give it a late port to Sony platforms, and so I bet that's what they're going to do' that happens every time a big third party exclusive is announced for Nintendo systems.

Go back and look at media create threads from around the time DQIX was released. People were speculating a PSP port with absolutely no evidence to support it or even suggest it, and were convinced it was going to happen. Also see Monster Hunter 4.

jeremy1456

Why would they lose an advertisement partnership if it's not exclusive? Do Microsoft and Sony not advertise 3rd partt games even when they appear on another platform? Heck both Sony and Microsoft dedicated Conference stage time to FFXV and MGSV at sepwrate events.

You can still advertise for a game on your platform even if it releases elsewhere

How many multi platform games does Nintendo actively advertise?

SalvaPot

It won't end. There will be the inevitable argument that 'it doesn't make sense not to give it a late port to Sony platforms, and so I bet that's what they're going to do' that happens every time a big third party exclusive is announced for Nintendo systems.

Go back and look at media create threads from around the time DQIX was released. People were speculating a PSP port with absolutely no evidence to support it or even suggest it, and were convinced it was going to happen. Also see Monster Hunter 4.

Remember this gem? "Why does Monster Hunter 4 have to look like shit?

Every week.

Dragon Quest XI ?

By the way, now that I think about it, how the hell did Square Enix managed to convince both Nintendo and Sony to make a PS4+3DS bundle with both versions of the game ?

I think that one is exclusive to their store, right?

jeremy1456

Dragon Quest XI ?

By the way, now that I think about it, how the hell did Square Enix managed to convince both Nintendo and Sony to make a PS4+3DS bundle with both versions of the game ?

I haven't seen a single bit of marketing from Nintendo on Dragon Quest XI. Where did you see this?

Weren't you adamant about DQ XI only hitting the 3DS prior it's announcement?

Shahed

How many multi platform games does Nintendo actively advertise?

How many large multi platform games have Nintendo even been in a position to advertise? Usually said large game is exclusive to their platform, or not even on it.

And they'll definitely advertise Dragon Quest XI on their platforms. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember them advertising Darksiders II on Wii U snd they quite often do the same for late ports of games on their systems

Passose

Banned
Minecraft - eventually it will sell 1m, but by end of the year?
ARMs - not sure it'll do 1m in Japan
Mario Odyssey - could do
it was just dumb guessing, but yeah, can't see any out of them can sell over one million in just a year except splatoon 2 or kart 8 deluxe

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How many large multi platform games have Nintendo even been in a position to advertise? Usually said large game is exclusive to their platform, or not even on it.

And they'll definitely advertise Dragon Quest XI on their platforms

Nintendo markets plenty of Multiplatform games that's literally what a direct does. The question is specific marketing deals, which is far less common.

jeremy1456

And they'll definitely advertise Dragon Quest XI on their platforms

Back in the Wii days the platform was getting Madden and Call of Duty. For example.

SalvaPot

Yeah but they still had to negotiate with both Sony and Nintendo at some point. Must have been a funny conversation.

Last Nintendo Direct.

I guess they could just order the regular games and repackage them together with the extras, no idea if they have to jump extra hurdles to make it happen.

Shahed

Nintendo markets plenty of Multiplatform games that's literally what a direct does. The question is specific marketing deals, which is far less common.

You might misunderstanding me. I'm saying they would advertise games on Switch even if it's a multiplat game. Why would they not? I'm disagreeing with someone else.

They've advertised Monster Hunter and it's done well on the systems. I don't see why that needs to change even if it goes multiplatform

Back in the Wii days the platform was getting Madden and Call of Duty. For example.
Yeah because those games had exclusive advertising with Microsoft (well CoD at least). There's a reason Sony never advertised CoD either since like Nintendo they couldn't.

Calm Mind

Prediction League March 2017 Results

Code:
                      STATISTICS                       FAMITSU   GAF_AVG    UNDER      OVER      MIN       MAX          CLOSEST BY
               [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn                167.756   116.196     100%       0%      75.000   150.000     150.000 random25
            [NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware             524.371   635.964     12%       88%     460.000   850.000      523.707 horuhe
 [NSW + WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild   388.152   510.379      3%       97%     325.000   717.363      400.000 noobie
                   [NSW] 1-2-Switch                    138.790   228.402      6%       94%     117.00
        [3DS] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross         1.270.332 1.280.285    61%       39%    1.050.000 1.800.000  1.275.000 Calm Mind

ayy My MHXX numbers on point.

jeremy1456

You might misunderstanding me. I'm saying they would advertise games on Switch even if it's a multiplat game. Why would they not? I'm disagreeing with someone else.

They've advertised Monster Hunter and it's done well on the systems. I don't see why that needs to change even if it goes multiplatform

Yeah because those games had exclusive advertising with Microsoft (well CoD at least). There's a reason Sony never advertised CoD either since like Nintendo they couldn't.

Guitar Hero, rock band, etc.

It just isn't nintendo's style. They used to do it a bit in the GameCube days, but not for a very long time.

sense

Yep! I was pretty sure that would be the case. That series had never been multi platform (with the exception of X) so i was following a logical precedent with that.
Even when horii said he wanted to see dq11 on home consoles you were convinced it was not going to be announced just like how you are not convinced mh won't be on PS4 even though capcom have said they have an eye on western sales and handheld only is an issue outside Japan? i feel like you are going to be wrong yet again.

Shahed

Guitar Hero, rock band, etc.

It just isn't nintendo's style. They used to do it a bit in the GameCube days, but not for a very long time.
They've done stuff on Wii U like Skylanders. They'll advertise 3rd party games just fine whenever it suits them.

Are SMT HD Project and Octopath Traveler exclusive to Switch? I can't recall anything to that effect, but I suppose I might have missed something. If they do come to PS4 also, I fully expect Nintendo to market them for Switch like they already have done so

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They've done stuff on Wii U like Skylanders. They'll advertise 3rd party games just fine whenever it suits them.

Are SMT HD Project and Octopath Traveler exclusive to Switch? I can't recall anything to that effect, but I suppose I might have missed something. If they do come to PS4 also, I fully expect Nintendo to market them for Switch like they already have done so

Octopath probably is, SMT HD probably not.

No but there's far more wiggle room in terms of optimization. Since there's so little shown if SE is serious about porting there's little reason to believe they won't be able to. That's if they're serious about it.

Considering what the title is, I'm guessing they are going for high end PS4 graphics (not Pro). I have a hard time believing SW will run that in a manner devs will find desirable but we shall see if it happens.

Yeshua

PREDICTION LEAGUE MAY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from May 1 to May 28):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 200000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 200000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 10000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 7000

Even when horii said he wanted to see dq11 on home consoles you were convinced it was not going to be announced just like how you are not convinced mh won't be on PS4 even though capcom have said they have an eye on western sales and handheld only is an issue outside Japan? i feel like you are going to be wrong yet again.

Not saying there's zero chance for MH5 to be on the PS4, but why does everyone seemingly forget that the Switch is not exclusively a handheld?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I think the crux of the Monster Hunter 5 platform argument is the following. In order to not debilitate Monster Hunter sales in Japan (and thus lose the vast majority of the sales on Capcom's best performing franchise), Capcom would be crazy not to have a portable SKU. Basically even if Western sales were to increase (MH4U did decently on 3DS in the West), it's VERY VERY unlikely that it would even come close to the #s MH has gotten on 3DS and before on PSP. It might have something like a 50-60% drop, which would be horrible for the franchise.

Thus, if Capcom is sane, they'd launch the game on at least one portable.
The options then are:
1. 3DS - It's worked well over the year, but this isn't a long-term solution.
2. Switch - being the 3DS's successor, this serves a better long-term solution as essentially the only portable going forward, but it still has to build the userbase (which wasn't a problem for the 3DS though and doesn't look like it'll be a huge hurdle for the Switch thus far).
3. Vita - Capcom ignored the Vita back it was much more viable than now, and it's even more on its way out. This is super unlikely (yet still would probably be better than doing a PS4 exclusive imo simply due to portability lol).

or some combination of the three.

Multiplats are totally up to Capcom and shouldn't hurt TOO much. 3DS/Switch would be similar to MH3U (so there is some precedent). Switch/PS4(/PC/XB1) could probably work (Switch acts as base SKU and then put prettied up versions on other platforms). 3DS/PS4 would be 2 totally different games (but then faces the future handheld problem, so why not just put it on Switch now), and 3DS/Switch/PS4 I guess could work, but that's a lot of work lol.

Essentially if the game doesn't launch on Switch or 3DS, it's going to have problems unless someone figures out how to make the PS4 portable =P.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 234.567
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 321.098
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 12.345
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 21.098

what's the point of bringing the series to the ps4 though? niche mainline games has never sold well over there.

Well they only did put 1 game there, and I think that did well. In addition other spinoffs were there too the Digital Devil series, Catherine, and the Devil Summoner ARPGs. So anything is possible.

LordKano

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 260.000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 270.000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 12.000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 20.000

I'm probably vastly overestimating USFII but it's a bit hard to predict that one. On one side, it may panders to nostalgia, on the other side, SFV bombed and I can't see an even lower attempt in the serie be comparable to it. Maybe it will ride on the Switch hype.

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 230.000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 250.000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 12.500
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 19.000

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 270000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 190000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 10000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 36000

Beause they already have to make eveything in HD and sold Persona 5 on the system so fanbase is there?

Persona is a different beast from the mainline SMT series, which, again, has been exclusive to Nintendo platforms since Strange Journey in 2009.

jonno394

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 220.000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 200.000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 23.000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 24.000

Passose

Banned
Beause they already have to make eveything in HD and sold Persona 5 on the system so fanbase is there?
while Persona 5 sold great, it doesn't mean that Smt HD will sell great either. Remember Smt 3 and Persona 3, Persona 3 sold pretty good but everything wasn't the same for Smt3, and the mainline games left the playstation after that. Maybe I could be wrong

sense

Not saying there's zero chance for MH5 to be on the PS4, but why does everyone seemingly forget that the Switch is not exclusively a handheld?
You don't target western market and not put on something as popular as PS4 with a huge install base where third party Japanese publishers have found the most success. Is there a third party game that has found huge success in the west being just on Nintendo platform? I am talking dark souls, nioh, nier automata, persona level success atleast not huge like ff games. The only one I can think of is mh4 and personally that was mostly a success because it was bundled with the release of a new better version of the 3ds imo and even that we are talking less than a million sales.

No one is forgetting switch is not exclusively handheld but the majority of the fanbase treats it as more of a handheld than a home console because it is underpowered.

jonno394

You don't target western market and not put on something as popular as PS4 with a huge install base where third party Japanese publishers have found the most success. Is there a third party game that has found huge success in the west being just on Nintendo platform? I am talking dark souls, nioh, nier automata, persona level success atleast not huge like ff games. The only one I can think of is mh4 and personally that was mostly a success because it was bundled with the release of a new better version of the 3ds imo and even that we are talking less than a million sales.

No one is forgetting switch is not exclusively handheld but the majority of the fanbase treats it as more of a handheld than a home console because it is underpowered.

Just curious, but what level of western success are you expecting of a hypothetical ps4 monster Hunter? (Numbers)

while Persona 5 sold great, it doesn't mean that Smt HD will sell great either. Remember Smt 3 and Persona 3, Persona 3 sold pretty good but everything wasn't the same for Smt3, and the mainline games left the playstation after that. Maybe I could be wrong

I think partially it was because Atlus had such a slow start to the last generation with I think only TMS and Catherine being the only HD games. Also, the Ps3 was not exactly setting and records, good ones anyway. Right now we have a SMT HD game that hasn't been listed as exclusive and SMT and it Spinoffs titles tended to go to Sony. (during the ps2 era) Also, the Ps4 is pretty popular.

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 215000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 280000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 8000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 13000

Torokil

Happy that the Switch seems to be off to a great start in Japan. It has the potential to be a God tier Japanese gaming machine.

Passose

Banned
What's the point in bringing an HD third party game to the most popular platform in the market?

I wonder...
there are lots of niche Japan games on the ps4 ended up selling horribly on the console,despite of it having a large userbase, then why moving to it if it won't get any better over there anyway, that's what I was trying to say

I mean, I'm really just trying to say that everyone keeps bringing up this Capcom quote as if it indicates a PS4 MH when it could just as easily be referring to the Switch.

It's undeniable that MH has grown in the west on the 3DS, so I don't really think there needs to be other examples of western success stories when MH itself is one and that's what we're talking about. But if I have to give other examples, then I'd say Bravely Default was a success, as well as Kingdom Hearts 3D, Super Street Fighter IV 3D and Fantasy Life.

Edit: And that's just in regards to more recent platforms (the Wii U didn't have much success in general). The Wii and DS of course had more examples of successful third party games.

random25

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 320000
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 280000
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 15000
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 20000

Top Bottom