• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Monster Hunter 4 have to look like shit?

Here's a mission walkthrough with series Producer

(Watched it on the Vita so to get the visuals somewhat relative to the screen size it will be on)

I'm super excited to see Tigrex, Khezu, and of course, The goddamn Kut-ku again... Problem is, they still look no better than when they were on the freaking PSP!

And yes, I know WHY it looks like shit. I understand what they're going for this time around in regards to scale....

But...

At this point, pretty much the only thing holding the visuals together in this series are the lovingly crafted animations (alot of which is pulled from the damn PS2 era!) and awesome art direction.
But that's the thing though, this series has been at constant odds with itself as tech has drastically improved, yet Capcom or whoever, refuses to react accordingly. It has an amazing art team who has to continue to put it's art on woefully underpowered hardware. No seriously, just take a glance at any of the Monster Hunter Illustrations books and imagine what the series COULD look like. I certainly believe the uninformed what give the series a serious second glance if the visuals matched the damn artwork for once. Obviously we don't know if said are team are seemingly okay with this or they are looking enviously over at Dragon's Dogma.
Monster Hunter 4 up to this point from what we've seen is the utter low point of the series.... Visually speaking of course.
Texturework is hideous. One of Tri G's saving graces, the self shadowing bump, now looks like ass. Everything is super jaggy and can only imagine how playing it in 3D, only further exacerbates this.
So is it just that Capcom will continue to not generate actual HD fucking assets because this is the formula that prints the most money? Are they lazy? Do Japanese gamers REALLY just not give a shit? Are players wanting something more just going to have to look towards Dragon's Dogma and Deep down?

Once again, to illustrate the point somewhat:

monster_img_06_01.jpg
monster-hunter-4_2012_09-06-12_035_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

Monster-Hunter-4_2012_10-11-12_009.jpg
33.jpg

images

Subtle

Doesn't look that bad. Looks like a typical 3DS game. I would really enjoy a PS4 MonHun game though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It looks much better than the PSP ones. But just go ahead and ask why it isn't coming as a Vita exclusive -:p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Put it on inferior HW and you get less than stellar results. It will still be fun like MH always is.

Would love to have seen this as a cross platform WiiU-3DS release.

Looks good to me, what do you expect from a 3DS game?

Tri G looks better for one.

3DS games don't have to look like shit. When they are designed with the system's strengths/weakness in mind, you get things like Luigi's Mansion, 3D Land, Kid Icarus, Dream Drop Distance, etc.

When you get a company that is frakensteining a game onto a system that clearly can't do it justice, you get MoHun4

I guess I care more about the lovingly crafted animations and the awesome art direction.

Shit only get's you so far man. ESPECIALLY when you've been looking at them for almost half a decade.

vareon

Now that I have MH3U for 3DS in my hands, if I stop and really look at it, the textures didn't look good, too. But in the midst of battle against purple dragon with green pimples that explodes things on touch, it really doesn't matter. I think this is a case of bad screenshots.

Maybe because they want to continue to make large profits?

Games with the scale of MH in full PS4 mode are going to very very expensive.

SkyOdin

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS looks great, and I'm not seeing a huge difference in Monster Hunter 4, so what is the problem?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Maybe because they want to continue to make large profits?

Games with the scale of MH in full PS4 mode are going to very very expensive.

Not if they keep their budgets in check and not need the state of the art visuals.

I would rather see this game in HD as is than in very low res. That means anything from WiiU on up.

of course there will be a wii u version at some point, its practically free money for capcom

Right. They'd be dumb not to capitalize.

Portugeezer

3ds isnt much more powerful than psp, is it?

Depends what you mean by much? It's noticeable enough, but a lot of power is used in the 3D which uses ~50% more pixels than PSP (2D not taken advatage off because of this, usually just adds some anti-aliasing and sometimes doubles the framerate).

I don't think PSP could handle MK7 quality at 60fps (if Modnations PSP is anything to go by anyway, and yes MK7 is 60fps even in 3D).

Het_Nkik

Maybe they're just budgeting accordingly instead of producing the game with the biggest and best graphics on a home console where it needs to sell 7 million copies to make a profit.

Sorry, I'm just bitter at the industry for slowly killing itself.

Zenaku

Just watched the 3D trailer on my 3DS again; environments looked great, monsters looked great, didn't notice any jaggies anywhere while in motion.

Keslord

Banned
Because Capcom develops them for handhelds and Nintendo consoles.
WTB a real HD Monster Hunter.

Wii U version of 3U is 1080p. That's about as HD as you're going to get. In terms of HD assets, you're not going to see that for a while. Capcom will do anything and everything to avoid having to create new assets, and put a huge budget into the games.

Effect

I'm waiting to I see video of this on the 3DS and 3D screenshots. 3DS games don't screen shot well. Most hand held games don't because they're meant to be in motion (like all games) and not blown up.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It does look a little poopy, but it's all about the gameplay.

Yep. I reward Capcom's laziness. :(
Capcoms laziness ? MH4 is one of the most ambitious 3DS titles and so far Capcom has delivered on that platform.

Takao

Banned
It's kind of sad that Japan's two most successful third party franchises look no better graphically than they did ten years ago. I suppose that's what happens when Nintendo handhelds own the market.

It looks better than 3 ultimate which just came out on the same platform.

That game came out in 2011, this is a 2013 release.

Wii U version of 3U is 1080p. That's about as HD as you're going to get. In terms of HD assets, you're not going to see that for a while. Capcom will do anything and everything to avoid having to create new assets, and put a huge budget into the games.

exactly

I ADORE Tri G. It's quickly fast replacing MHFU as my favorite

That being said, it's a bit of an embarrassment sometimes when looking at it.

It would look a lot nicer in 3D and on the device itself.

I'm playing through MH3U on the 3DS right now and it looks pretty great.

Kyoufu

I've come to accept this as it is indeed, fundamental to the gameplay ....then again, they COULD just redesign the gameplay, lol-right?

I don't think they would and it wouldn't hurt them if they didn't.

A console MH wouldn't take very long to make, but I accepted Capcom's laziness and handheld focus for this series a long time ago so I'll buy and enjoy MH4 on 3DS.

Capcoms laziness ? MH4 is one of the most ambitious 3DS titles and so far Capcom has delivered on that platform.

Ambitious? It's Monster Hunter with PS2 assets and Monsters from the PS2 generation with a new platform twist and new additions here and there.

At least they added online mode.

The other question is whether the controls are still going to be irredeemably terrible.

Monster Hunter comes from the Lost Planet 2 school of "basic gameplay has improved since the dreamcast era?".

Thoraxes

I think it looks great. MH is one of those series where I could give a shit about graphics as long as it plays really good (which thankfully it does, and is infused with crack).

Also for people clicking the OP link, do check out the gameplay footage before where the OP has chosen the video to start. It looks good.

Top Bottom