• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Monster Hunter 4 have to look like shit?

Orayn

The Insect Staff weapon class fits nicely into what they're changing about combat.

iyh3zIV7Uuuwv.gif

Polevaulting!

Charge Axe looks plenty rad too.

iAf1TJlbMfKNd.gif

I've never really switched areas for that. I kind of run around the area until they do stupid shit and miss me with an attack that goes too far, or they aren't paying attention to me. Sometimes it doesn't work very well and they hit me midway through sharpening or right after I use a potion, but it's do-able most of the time. Even more so after you get Cha-Cha and Shakalaka to occupy the monster's attention. Or you can just jump in the water if any is nearby. Or jump on land, depending on where you are.

I did this because I wanted to see where enemies were in case the paintball ran out, or they disappeared or try to eat, and because I thought they'd heal up quickly enough. Plus I'm kind of aggressive in my attack style. So separated areas never added anything to the game for me. Oh, sometimes I'd heal or sharpen if the monster knocked me into the next area.

How can you run when you're limp, running low on life and stamina and on top of that you're surrounded by monsters charging you?
Playing Tri it happened to me more than once to run for my life trying to reach next room, possibly a safe one; that was part of the fun and would be gone with an open-world environment.

Haunted

I want lock on and life bars to see how much damage is being done, and it wouldn't hurt to give the series a narrative story.
Fuck you, Ryan Davis.

There are a ton of things you could do to Monster Hunter to improve it. Lock on and life bars aren't among them.

The Insect Staff weapon class fits nicely into what they're changing about combat.

iyh3zIV7Uuuwv.gif

Polevaulting!

Charge Axe looks plenty rad too.

iAf1TJlbMfKNd.gif

I'll probably use both. GAWD this game looks amazing.

How can you run when you're limp, running low on life and stamina and on top of that you're surrounded by monsters charging you?
Playing Tri it happened to me more than once to run for my life trying to reach next room, possibly a safe one; that was part of the fun and would be gone with an open-world environment.

Running around in circles as I flip through my items for a potion of some sort. And if you're low on stamina you're probably not getting to the next room anyways. If you do, dodge roll and heal - not many monsters recover so quickly after missing a major attack. Again, partners make this SO much easier, because they can distract.

Orayn

Will MH4/does MH3U on 3DS support the Circle Pad Pro? If so, in what capacity?

Both of them let you use it to control the camera, as opposed to the little onscreen d-pad or physical d-pad. The extra shoulder buttons can also be assigned to various functions.

Again, partners make this SO much easier, because they can distract.

Partners as in on-line multiplayer?
I played Tri mostly off-line single-player, long-sword, and although Cha-cha sometimes can be of some help distracting a monster, is someone you can't rely too much in the most crowded situations, as when you're charged by an enraged Balroth and a handful of Jaggis at the same time.

Brofield

Both of them let you use it to control the camera, as opposed to the little onscreen d-pad or physical d-pad. The extra shoulder buttons can also be assigned to various functions.

Then so be it I'll invest in one. I can't possibly imagine not using dual sticks + D-pad for MH since playing Monster Hunter on the Wii classic controller (and struggling so hard with the nunchuk)

Partners as in on-line multiplayer?
I played Tri mostly off-line single-player, long-sword, and although Cha-cha sometimes can be of some help distracting a monster, is someone you can't rely too much in the most crowded situations, as when you're charged by an enraged Balroth and a handful of Jaggis at the same time.

Both, but particularly Cha-Cha and Shakalaka.

This is why gamers who started playing games on the Xbox/Ps2 annoy me. I actually, legitimately thought the OP entire post was satire and sarcasm. You complain about visuals, then post multiple gorgeous screenshots as if ur complaints were totally sarcastic. Am i the only one left who can still marvel at the visuals in DKC2, Mario 64 and FFVII? Is the OP the sort of person who couldnt bring himself to play the best JRPG in a decade (Xenoblade) because it wasnt in HD? #epicfacepalm

I for one think MH4 looks great. I wont play it, i personally dont like the MH games, but to complain when the game looks that good is just trollbaiting.

I'm sorry, but no. I started playing with the TurboGrafx16/SNES.

The PS2 version of MH still looks great to me today, and if the MH4 looked on par with that, or at the very least on par with MH3U I'd be happy as hell. It's such a downgrade from an earlier game in the series on the exact same console that it makes a lot of people wonder "why".

Mugaaz

I'm sorry, but no. I started playing with the TurboGrafx16/SNES.

The PS2 version of MH still looks great to me today, and if the MH4 looked on par with that, or at the very least on par with MH3U I'd be happy as hell. It's such a downgrade from an earlier game in the series on the exact same console that it makes a lot of people wonder "why".

BECAUSE THE PS2 MH WAS DESIGNED FOR A CONSOLE. EVERY OTHER MH IS DESIGNED FOR HANDHELDS. (Except Dos/Tri)

I'm sorry for the caps, but HOLY HELL. Its so insanely obvious the game doesnt succeed on consoles. It started on there, but thats not its home. Its not going to be the Ultra High def Crysis 17 game for PS4/720. The game exists because of Japanese handheld gamers, Capcom HAS to cater to them, because the game can't survive without them. None of the console MH has been very successful. The best any of them has done was "ok". The handheld versions sell like hotcakes.

Capcom is greedy as hell, and youre free to hate them for it. The graphics in MH has nothing to do with their greed though. The market for it is on the handheld, and that device cant support the graphics people keep whining about. Thats why it still looks exactly the game. If you want to hate on Capcom, hate on them for reskinning the same models for 15 different monsters instead of actually making new models. THATS valid, because that is something they are doing out of pure laziness and greed. They make Diablos/B.Diablos/Monoblos/W.Monobols , Tigrex/Barioth/S.Barioth/Narga/G.Narga/L.Narga, Rathian/Pink/Gold/Los/Azure/Silver/Espinas/100 more vrariants. 3 models made into 20+ monsters. That is lazy, that is greedy.

If the Vita had the installbase of the 3ds, or if Japanese gamers prefered playing MH on the PS3, then we'd be getting the high def MH games you care about. None of that is going to happen in the near future, if ever.

Mileena

Banned
it does look bad. should have been a wii u game.

it probably will be later. monster hunter 4 wiin u edition 2014

I'm crossing my fingers for a surprise Wii U version day one with 3DS version. I really don't wanna play this on a handheld.

Haunted

I'd love to see a MH4U announcement sooner rather than later.

I appreciate the handheld versions for what they are, but most definitely prefer the eventual console versions over them.

hunnies28

Then so be it I'll invest in one. I can't possibly imagine not using dual sticks + D-pad for MH since playing Monster Hunter on the Wii classic controller (and struggling so hard with the nunchuk)

On the default settings the extra shoulder buttons do exactly the same as the shoulder buttons. That's what I use.

The best thing you get with a CPP is no hand cramps.

Top Bottom