• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Monster Hunter 4 have to look like shit?

DaBoss

I agree with OP, but not because of port begging or anything.

The console versions - by which I mean the Wii U version - should look far better, and I'd love to see it. Don't get me wrong - I'm still going to buy and play the Monster Hunter series, but I would without question prefer HD assets.

And a real lock-on, like, really.

Now, unlike seemingly most of GAF, I can't tell framerate well, so MH3U for Wii U never bothered me in that respect. But better graphics would go a long way in terms of immersion into the game and the sense of taking down crazy monsters. It's kind of lazy that they did almost nothing with the Wii U version.

g7jjv.gif

I agree with OP, but not because of port begging or anything.

The console versions - by which I mean the Wii U version - should look far better, and I'd love to see it. Don't get me wrong - I'm still going to buy and play the Monster Hunter series, but I would without question prefer HD assets.

And a real lock-on, like, really.

Now, unlike seemingly most of GAF, I can't tell framerate well, so MH3U for Wii U never bothered me in that respect. But better graphics would go a long way in terms of immersion into the game and the sense of taking down crazy monsters. It's kind of lazy that they did almost nothing with the Wii U version.

I want lock on and life bars to see how much damage is being done, and it wouldn't hurt to give the series a narrative story.

Air

Banned
No lock on, no health bars, no story. They could fix drop rates, textures and the like, but the game is great as is. New additions shouldn't overthrow the core mechanics, but express them in new ways.

Shoyz

The game has life bars, it's called looking at the monster and seeing it grow weaker.

Lock on is pointless because you need to aim for specific parts, but I can see where it's coming from because awful 3DS controls.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I want lock on and life bars to see how much damage is being done, and it wouldn't hurt to give the series a narrative story.

Story is whatever, but lock-on and lifebars would straight up ruin the game.

Like, really fucking ruin it.

I always thought that the target cam is the way it is because a true lock on would simply not be practical. Having the monsters thrash about controlling the camera's orientation sounds annoying and frustrating.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm ok with the existing assets even for another gen as long as the game is polished as fuck
I don't want to see a single pixel of aliasing (MH3U on wiiu still has some) and want it to be locked 60fps v-synced with 20xAF
A real MH HD is still welcomed though

also no story/lock on please and more than anything no lifebars.

I haven't been keeping up with this game. Is there online play?

If there is online play, I'm probably going to plan on importing a 3DS with this game. My Japanese sucks, but it'll be fun, humiliating, and educational playing with eastern friends. :)

DaBoss

If there is online play, I'm probably going to plan on importing a 3DS with this game. My Japanese sucks, but it'll be fun, humiliating, and educational playing with eastern friends. :)

Yup, there is.

It's a handheld game that will likely be pushing the capabilities of the 3DS even with the crappy textures. I don't know what you'd expect.

That said, I'm not interested in picking up any 3DS version of the series. After seeing how generally nice in looks on my Wii U, despite the occasional gnarly textures, I wouldn't want a lesser version.

Oh wow. The ground textures look like baby doodoo. Hopefully they tighten up the graphics before release

Also what's wrong with the lock on? The target camera re-centering is pretty handy in Ultimate

If only there was a way to reach out to a larger player base. One that is is not mainly situated in Japan and that doesn't primarily play on handheld devices. HMMMM I wonder how they could do that! HMMMM?

Honestly, Dragon's Dogma wasn't that different from what a Western-targeted AAA reboot of MH on HD consoles would have been. It sold quite poorly outside Japan.

The math just doesn't make sense, anyway. For HD consoles, you'd be asking Capcom to sacrifice much of their sales in Japan and spend significantly more on development costs simply to pursue the outside chance of significantly improved sales outside Japan; for a hypothetical ground-up Vita exclusive, they'd still be spending significantly more on development costs with no chance of improved sales in the West and at least a risk of reduced sales in Japan.

Until and unless handheld sales of the franchise decline in Japan to a degree that forces Capcom to significantly reevaluate their approach to it, "PS2 plus shaders" is what makes business sense.

serplux

Honestly, Dragon's Dogma wasn't that different from what a Western-targeted AAA reboot of MH on HD consoles would have been. It sold quite poorly outside Japan.

The math just doesn't make sense, anyway. For HD consoles, you'd be asking Capcom to sacrifice much of their sales in Japan and spend significantly more on development costs simply to pursue the outside chance of significantly improved sales outside Japan; for a hypothetical ground-up Vita exclusive, they'd still be spending significantly more on development costs with no chance of improved sales in the West.

Until and unless handheld sales of the franchise decline in Japan to a degree that forces Capcom to significantly reevaluate their approach to it, "PS2 plus shaders" is what makes business sense.

Or until Nintendo makes the 3DS successor. :p

DaBoss

Oh wow. The ground textures look like baby doodoo. Hopefully they tighten up the graphics before release

Also what's wrong with the lock on? The target camera re-centering is pretty handy in Ultimate

That's not lock-on. That is as you said, target re-centering or the term they seem to be using, target cam. Lock-on is actually keeping it on the monster at all times.

Are you saying that i should expect it?

It isn't out of the question. MHP3rd HD and MH3G HD. I imagine MH4 HD isn't something that is out of the question.

NeoRausch

People really want lock on and life bars?

yeah no, the target cam is pretty good. and I don't use it at all, because i loooooove to adjust the cam myself for strategic purpose.

and life bars would just take the fun out of the drooling, limping, bombing, sleeping, runaway, trap, tranq and catch-mechanic... such is all and all the core of the series.

udivision

People really want lock on and life bars?

yeah no, the target cam is pretty good. and I don't use it at all, because i loooooove to adjust the cam myself for strategic purpose.

and life bars would just take the fun out of the drooling, limping, bombing, sleeping, runaway, trap, tranq and catch-mechanic... such is all and all the core of the series.

It's odd how if you put enough hours into MH you evolve from "dang, why no lock-on" to "lol, lock-on" and there's virtually zero middle ground. I think it's a case of the high learning curve, so much of MH can only be appreciated after a long time with it.

NeoRausch

It's odd how if you put enough hours into MH you evolve from "dang, why no lock-on" to "lol, lock-on" and there's virtually zero middle ground. I think it's a case of the high learning curve, so much of MH can only be appreciated after a long time with it.

yeah, not to blame anyone but I always have the feeling that people that want stuff like this are not THAAAAAT DEEP into monster hunter.

you know, played a demo or a few hours of the full game.

I don't want health bars - watching the monster's pattern is good enough for me (and would be better expressed with HD graphics ;)).

But yeah, I want lock-on. At the very least for the small monsters. Being a blade user makes it difficult sometimes. At least with dual blades I can recover quickly enough, or cancel to dodge.

With a long sword? No such fucking luck.

Orayn

I don't want health bars - watching the monster's pattern is good enough for me (and would be better expressed with HD graphics ;)).

But yeah, I want lock-on. At the very least for the small monsters. Being a blade user makes it difficult sometimes. At least with dual blades I can recover quickly enough, or cancel to dodge.

With a long sword? No such fucking luck.

With Longsword? A+X, dude. It only hits EVERYTHING! Also, there's a built-in backstep.

With Longsword? A+X, dude. It only hits EVERYTHING! Also, there's a built-in backstep.

Whoa, longswords have a sweeping move?

:O

I thought the only one was part of the Spirit Blade combo! Man, I've been using the thing only for particularly large monsters, stabbing and downward slashing away!

Iron Grace will get more use, it seems...

NeoRausch

Do you know what MH needs? Some quick time events! Think of the cinematic gameplay!

and less colors! gimme DAT brown!

edit:
sarcasm beside:
you maybe got something there. never thought about that.
but it needs to be varied and not the same shit all the time.

Mazzo

and less colors! gimme DAT brown!

edit:
sarcasm beside:
you maybe got something there. never thought about that.
but it needs to be varied and not the same shit all the time.

I don't got anything >.> I'll never use sarcasm again.

While I'm at it, there NEEDS to be something done about monsters being able to be across the border of the screen and still in the same area. Fuck that noise.

And if you guys want to keep the loading time and separate areas, fine. Personally, I'd like to see where monsters are from across the map. Like separated areas that are like a connected whole.

To explain this better: if a Quarecopo is flying around by, say, the volcano, and I can see the volcano in the distance, I should see it flying around there too - even if I can't yet interact.

EDIT: Can you even do anything when you're pinned by a monster, or are you pretty much waiting to be saved?

Emitan

While I'm at it, there NEEDS to be something done about monsters being able to be across the border of the screen and still in the same area. Fuck that noise.

And if you guys want to keep the loading time and separate areas, fine. Personally, I'd like to see where monsters are from across the map. Like separated areas that are like a connected whole.

To explain this better: if a Quarecopo is flying around by, say, the volcano, and I can see the volcano in the distance, I should see it flying around there too - even if I can't yet interact.

EDIT: Can you even do anything when you're pinned by a monster, or are you pretty much waiting to be saved?
Rotate the stick or throw a dung bomb

Definitely. Hell, all areas should be connected. Fuck load times. They don't add anything

Shoyz

Pretty sure the 3DS one can only be played online if you have a WiiU nearby with an app they released.

Daingurse

Eh it looks like garbage. But it'll never look as good in screenshots, as it does on the 3DS.

Are there any other open world games that look decent on the handheld or true open world games at all to compare?

The fact is, I'm OK with lock-on in Zelda - it worked fine in OOT, where it was introduced for the first time if I am not mistaking myself -, Metroid primr - although I liked much better Wii-remote pointing in MP3 - or Darksiders, but lock-on in MH would take much of the fun off it, it would be like having automatic aim in a FPS, it didn't take me much time playing Tri to realize that.

Schuhu

Neo Member
A full lock-on in Monster Hunter makes no sense as you've to hit different areas of the monster with different weapons or effects.

You already have a soft lock-on in mh3u btw.

Raide

Monster Hunter needs to move on. They need to add some actual Monster Hunting. Zone maps need to go, leaving open and diverse maps instead. Use these and actually flesh out the animal life. Apart from the odd Jaggi or basic field beast, the place is damn empty. All those videos and text files need to actually mean something in the hunting process. Skills that auto detect = gone. Potions that find monsters = gone. Give players the skills to track monsters via their footprints, or poo sifting, or watching creatures fleeing from a particular area. Whatever you need to do to make it more interesting that signalling ChaCha!

The Zone map needs to go in favor of open maps where players actually have to mark and record monster territory. Stop monsters going to the same places to eat or rest. Actually give hunters something to do apart from paintballing and then using EMP to magically follow them.

I think the combat is pretty good but they need to add way more movement choices and less of the animation priority stuff. Also they need to rework ranged combat since it is so damn clunky.

Rotate the stick or throw a dung bomb

Well, damn. I'm learning all sorts of shit today. Never died because of it, but I kinda just took the damage.

Definitely. Hell, all areas should be connected. Fuck load times. They don't add anything

Actually, yeah.

I like being able to run away and heal/sharpen/not die when I need to though.

I've never really switched areas for that. I kind of run around the area until they do stupid shit and miss me with an attack that goes too far, or they aren't paying attention to me. Sometimes it doesn't work very well and they hit me midway through sharpening or right after I use a potion, but it's do-able most of the time. Even more so after you get Cha-Cha and Shakalaka to occupy the monster's attention. Or you can just jump in the water if any is nearby. Or jump on land, depending on where you are.

I did this because I wanted to see where enemies were in case the paintball ran out, or they disappeared or try to eat, and because I thought they'd heal up quickly enough. Plus I'm kind of aggressive in my attack style. So separated areas never added anything to the game for me. Oh, sometimes I'd heal or sharpen if the monster knocked me into the next area.

Thats because by that time you've learned how satisfying it is to land a perfectly timed and aimed attack on the right part of a monster. The fact that it's difficult to do is what makes it so rewarding. Actually, it's not even that difficult, just requires learning patterns and techniques.

Top Bottom