• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Monster Hunter 4 have to look like shit?

iLEgiJLubs4VA.gif

Can't wait!

Hellz yeah. This game is gonna be so awesome.

LeleSocho

Banned
The major problem of this game is resolution and textures, there's too much stuff on screen for that resolution and the not detailed and variegated texture make it worse...
An Ultimate/HD version would make clear the differences between this and Tri

DaBoss

I'm going to say this again. Look at MH3U on the 3DS. It looks pretty crazy for a 3DS game. Now look at MH4. It definitely is the terrain/environments and color palette that they are going for that causes it to look like this.

Though it looks like MH4 will shine in animations.

Ridley327

Ok, i see, thanks. So it is more like the previous Monster Hunter games with smaller areas? I was wondering since there is that big field in the background :)

It seems like that MH4's focus will be on bigger and more complex areas than in previous games, due to how important verticality is to the new gameplay systems.

I think MH4 looks slightly worse than MH3U on the 3DS, but it might be because they're still finishing up MH4. I really liked how on every platform MH3U looks very unified and cohesive in its art design. nothing stands out too badly. I don't think MH4 is quite there yet.

udivision

I've always been somewhat content with Pokemon's graphics. It's only from what we've seen of X/Y and B/W to an extent, that they've started to look a bit shit.

B/W's animations was the lightswitch for me. Either that, or that they're still trying to catch up to Pokemon Stadium which was released over 10 years ago.

At least with Monster Hunter, you get a glimpse at this big world and can fully appreciate these humongous monsters that you go to battle with. Sure, you can't visit all the vistas so the areas could stand to be bigger. But in Pokemon, you can only imagine how things should really look like.

Emitan

The series became successful on the PSP where they looked like ass. Why waste money making them look better when clearly they don't need to look good to sell?

That said I would love if Capcom made a Wii U exclusive one with really great graphics. They won't though.

Jeels

Because Capcom is taking advantage of Nintendo's popularity by releasing Monster Hunters on platforms where they have to put little to no effort and people lap it up because it "looks good for a 3DS game".

It's an open world game on the 3DS. All things considered, it looks fine to me.

This is news to me! When I played it at TGS, it was the same basic Monster Hunter framework. A fairly large map split into smaller sections, with some short load times between areas. According to every article in Famitsu or Dengeki, the game has hubs where you do your shopping, sleep, farm etc.

I'm excited for the game, but it's nowhere even close to being an open world game. At least not in any traditional sense.

For the record, MH4 looked great in motion back at TGS. The textures on the landscapes still look awful, but everything else is pretty great.

Mileena

Banned
The series became successful on the PSP where they looked like ass. Why waste money making them look better when clearly they don't need to look good to sell?

That said I would love if Capcom made a Wii U exclusive one with really great graphics. They won't though.

I wish Japanese people played consoles, then we could have our glorious console MH without :poo graphics. Stupid Japanese.

Capcom: "Hey we just found out how to beat the Taurus Demon"

Kyzon

The textures are fugly, but the monsters look pretty sweet as usual. Do they have time to up the textures here? If it comes to the west, it will probably be on Wii U and 3DS again (I would hope), and those textures will not cut it on my screen.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I guess I'm a lunatic because watching that video, all I could was how much fucking fun that game is gonna be. The 3 dimensional nature of the new combat and level design is awesome.

I don't give one goddamn fuck about the ground textures and I guess I have a hard time seeing things from the perspective of people who do. The gameplay looks more fun than ever and I would assume that's what other monhun fans would want above all else.

Mileena

Banned
The ground texture looks a lot better than that one in the G. Jaggi pic.

They don't look much better there either, but the Jaggi pic is kinda aimed so you so all those nasty floor textures. This game is going to be really ugly on an XL, isn't it?

Shoyz

I really hope that they don't port it, but make a G version instead built from the ground up for whatever system it comes to. 3 Ultimate on WiiU looks awful (especially the weapon textures which look literally untouched), and doesn't even run at 60FPS.
It's a 3DS port and it shows. WiiU->3DS multiplayer isn't worth it.

Mileena

Banned
I must admit, it's quite embarrassing that Ultimate on Wii U isn't running at 60fps. Seems like any studio could have made that happen and the game would benefit greatly from it.

Orayn

I must admit, it's quite embarrassing that Ultimate on Wii U isn't running at 60fps. Seems like any studio could have made that happen and the game would benefit greatly from it.

Failing that, I wish they gave us an option to cap the framerate at 30. When it's running faster, the unlocked framerate means there's still distracting judder.

DaBoss

I've seen people say it should be 45 fps. That doesn't excuse the fact it is a shame it isn't able to be at a steady 45fps.

But isn't that what makes a lot of games look great?

In general, I feel that the animation and art design is more important than the sheer polygon count (even though I am huge on graphical fidelity).

It's certainly why I still find the series endearing. Like I said though, it could do so much more visually.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks bleh because the art sucks in conjunction with some iffy draw distances and inconsistent ground textures (which can make any otherwise good looking game look bad). Additionally, as with every other 3DS game, static pictures and captured video never really give a good glimpse of how it looks in motion.

I really hope that they don't port it, but make a G version instead built from the ground up for whatever system it comes to. 3 Ultimate on WiiU looks awful (especially the weapon textures which look literally untouched), and doesn't even run at 60FPS.
It's a 3DS port and it shows. WiiU->3DS multiplayer isn't worth it.

Of course 4G is bound to be on 3DS in a couple of years after 4 releases, I mean, I haven't got a crystal ball but by then it may have already easily outsold PSP ltd so I don't see why should they switch platform, besides they are already building this up from scratch tailoring it on 3DS.

I agree with OP, but not because of port begging or anything.

The console versions - by which I mean the Wii U version - should look far better, and I'd love to see it. Don't get me wrong - I'm still going to buy and play the Monster Hunter series, but I would without question prefer HD assets.

And a real lock-on, like, really.

Now, unlike seemingly most of GAF, I can't tell framerate well, so MH3U for Wii U never bothered me in that respect. But better graphics would go a long way in terms of immersion into the game and the sense of taking down crazy monsters. It's kind of lazy that they did almost nothing with the Wii U version.

serplux

Of course 4G is bound to be on 3DS in a couple of years after 4 releases, I mean, I haven't got a crystal ball but by then it may have already easily outsold PSP ltd so I don't see why should they switch platform, besides they are already building this up from scratch tailoring it on 3DS.

It will easily hit it by sometime within the next two years. Just depends on how much MH4/Pokemon can really move.

Top Bottom