• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Unlike hardware, software is flat YOY. There will be a big spike in July but after that it is unknown what follows. It needs big sellers at Q4 if it wants to keep up with 2016.

Why would FF7R on SW be a thread for the archives? Its a multiplat, The biggest curiosity is how bad it will look in comparison to the PS4 SKU.

A thread for the archives would be something like MH5 being exclusive to PS4 ;)

Ōkami;235299250 said:
Nintendo 64 fans in 1997:

After Ocarina comes out Square will beg Nintendo to put Final Fantasy VII on the N64. Rumour says that Nintendo approach Enix to put Dragon Quest VII back on the system too.

Sega Mark 3 fans in 1987:

You just wait, after enough people play Alex Kidd the system will pick up, you'll see Dragon Quest III on the Mark 3, no doubt!

lol

Hi guys, I just arrived at Tokyo today and want to do some reporting. I went to Yodobashi Akiba and that place blew my mind. I had never seen a gaming department section in such scale and the Switch section is huge. Though I saw no switch stock there (sold out already?), I saw quite a few people are watching the Arms Direct video on TV. It seems that they are interested in it. Good sign, maybe?

i feel sofmap is bigger (incl. the used game section)

Cerium

The first Monster Hunter betrayalton was kind of muted, if I recall correctly. 3G was just considered whatever since Tri was already on Wii, but then the 4 announcement happened and everyone was just in denial. Everyone just assumed it would eventually be multiplatform. It stayed that way for months.

As soon as it gets confirmed that it's coming to the switch, you are going to start seeing how all sof sudden FFVIIR it's a trash game.

Just like all the people who said Ni no Kuni II was shit as soon as it was announced for PC? Stahp. What's going to generate more salt than an inevitable FF7R multiplat announcement, is when Nintendo fans find out what's next for Monster Hunter.

Cerium

Just like all the people who said Ni no Kuni II was shit as soon as it was announced for PC? Stahp. What's going to generate more salt than an inevitable FF7R multiplat announcement, is when Nintendo fans find out what's next for Monster Hunter.

Nintendo handhelds were successful before Monster Hunter, they would be successful without Monster Hunter.

Fortunately that won't be a concern because really the worst case scenario is multiplatform.

Fans from all sides are going to be insufferable whenever the next MH is finally announced.

Nintendo handhelds were successful before Monster Hunter, they would be successful without Monster Hunter.

Fortunately that won't be a concern because really the worst case scenario is multiplatform.

Of course they can be, no doubt. That won't stop shit from hitting the fan when the next major MH release is announced though. I lurk Media Create threads quite a lot, and there seems to be a lot of thinly veiled assumptions about things solely based on fanboy convictions, rather than common sense on all sides. Which is why there next MH game announcement will likely rile people up big time if I had to guess.

Aldric

Speaking of Square Enix ports on Switch, what about Automata? Doesn't seem like a very technically demanding game and Platinum already said they'd be willing to make a Switch version if Square told them to.

The funny thing is Nintendo doesn't need Monster Hunter to be successful in Japan lmao.

They have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and the soon to be monster Splatoon. At this point instead of Nintendo needing Capcom its Capcom that needs Nintendo.

Cerium

Of course they can be, no doubt. That won't stop shit from hitting the fan when the next major MH release is announced though. I lurk Media Create threads quite a lot, and there seems to be a lot of thinly veiled assumptions about things solely based on fanboy convictions, rather than common sense on all sides. Which is why there next MH game announcement will likely rile people up big time if I had to guess.

I mean, I remember when Monster Hunter was synonymous with the Playstation brand. It has its fans on 3DS, but I'm pretty sure there's no vast emotional attachment there in the same way that Sony fans of the 90s remember FFVII.

Speaking of Square Enix ports on Switch, what about Automata? Doesn't seem like a very technically demanding game and Platinum already said they'd be willing to make a Switch version if Square told them to.

If you port Automata you can't compromise on framerate which means you either compromise on resolution (bleh) or you have to do some major reworking.

Not impossible by any means but I don't think it'd be easy.

Oregano

I don't think there will be a large scale meltdown about MonHun for the same reason there wasn't for DQXI. It's expected.

Yoko Taro doesn't like the Switch.

The funny thing is Nintendo doesn't need Monster Hunter to be successful in Japan lmao.

They have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and the monster Splatoon. At this point instead of Nintendo needing Capcom its Capcom that needs Nintendo.

See, the defensiveness has started already. This is going to be a fun year. For the record, at no point did I even suggest that they need MH to be successful, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I don't think there will be a large scale meltdown about MonHun for the same reason there wasn't for DQXI. It's expected.

Uh huh, exactly like how from day one, we've known that FFVII Remake is a First on PS4 title. That game going multiplatform is also expected, even more so than DQXI was. Either way, I expect FFVII Remake to release on PC. A Switch point isn't as sure fire a thing as people seem to think, once again putting too much stock in the "It's an Unreal Engine 4 game and it's Japanese. Of course it's coming!".

Passose

Banned
I mean, I remember when Monster Hunter was synonymous with the Playstation brand. It has its fans on 3DS, but I'm pretty sure there's no vast emotional attachment there in the same way that Sony fans of the 90s remember FFVII.
tbf lots of Nintendo fans seem to be ok with MH going multi plat, like last week Media Creates thread for example

See, the defensiveness has started already. This is going to be a fun year. For the record, at no point did I even suggest that they need MH to be successful, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Heh I don't care if Monster Hunter is multiplatform. In fact at this point Capcom needs to do it since lately their games haven't been meeting their expectations.

Just saying that even if Monster Hunter went exclusive to PS4 I doubt it would have any affect on Switch.

Aldric

Son you're the one who showed up with "b-but Monster Hunter on PS4 will make Ninty fans cry!!" in reply to a discussion about Sony fans having meltdowns over FF7R on Switch why are you talking about defensiveness.

Cerium

tbf lots of Nintendo fans seem to be ok with MH going multi plat, like last week Media Creates thread for example

I mean I kind of expect it, and I honestly don't care. In Japan, where it's actually a system seller, everyone will buy the handheld version anyway. The only difference it'll make is that some PS4 owners in the west get a taste of it and I don't see how that's a bad thing so by all means.

Kudo

I want MonHun to be exclusive to Switch so I can make my friends buy Switch and play other games with me they're not interested in right now.
I'm pretty sure it won't be though.

Oregano

Uh huh, exactly like how from day one, we've known that FFVII Remake is a First on PS4 title. That game going multiplatform is also expected, even more so than DQXI was.

Except there's a plethora of people that insist they just mean PC and even some that think it means Xbox. You just need to look at the silly thread from the other day.

It's obvious that Monster Hunter going multiplatform means a PS4 release. Meltdowns will happen if it's Scorpio I guess...

You seem really invested in getting one over on those gosh darn Nintendo fans though.

Son you're the one who showed up with "b-but Monster Hunter on PS4 will make Ninty fans cry!!" in reply to a discussion about Sony fans having meltdowns over FF7R on Switch why are you talking about defensiveness.

Because nothing I said even alluded to Switch not being successful without MH. My point was simply that I similarly expect meltdowns from some Nintendo fans when the next MH game is announced.

You seem really invested in getting one over on those gosh darn Nintendo fans though.

Not really. I mean, do you think the same of the people who just spent a page speculating on Sony fan meltdowns? I'm just looking forward to the announcement and chaos it may bring. Fun times.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Splatoon 2
MariO
DQ11

Are those all the big hitters that have been announced?
I wouldn't call Odyssey a big hitter. It will sell 1, maybe 1,5m if it has a Zelda like revival. Something must counter attack last year's Pokemon December sales. Since nothing will be so big this year it needs a combination of many smaller but still million seller titles.

Passose

Banned
Because nothing I said even alluded to Switch not being successful without MH. My point was simply that I similarly expect meltdowns from some Nintendo fans when the next MH game is announced.

Not really. I mean, do you think the same of the people who just spent a page speculating on Sony fan meltdowns? I'm just looking forward to the announcement and chaos it may bring. Fun times.
It didn't happen the last time someone brought some rumors about the game being a ps4 exclusive, so I doubt the same thing happen when monster hunter being a multi plat got announced

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Most Nintendo fans expect the big 3rdParty games to be multiplattform anyway. DQ, SMT, Tales of etc. are or will be multiplattform.

Only thing that would result in meltdowns would MH skipping Switch altogether. But that's rather unlikely.

It didn't happen the last time someone brought some rumors about the game being a ps4 exclusive, so I doubt the same thing happen when monster hunter being a multi plat got announced

It didn't happen because they were rumours that were quickly dismissed as nonsense. Very different to an official announcement of a major MH game being announced that isn't coming to a Nintendo platform. Would definitely be interesting.

cheesekao

That thread got shut down fast so who knows how much traction it would have gained.

Salvadora

I'm curious to see if Super Mario Odyssey has a Breath of the Wild type revival.

It could happen due to it being a return to it's Super Mario 64 roots.

I mean if that's what you're holding out hope for you might be the one disappointed in the end.

I'm not holding out hope for it. I've put hundreds of hours into all three of the 3DS games, so I couldn't care less where it ends up. Switch would be ideal, seeing as it's portable, just speculating though. Nomsayin?

Well we could talk about Puyo Puyo Tetris instead. I'm really enjoying it. I hope it sold well.

It's holding pretty well on Amazon for what it is. It's a great game, so I hope it sells well enough to encourage Sega to bring over more Puyo to the west in the future. Also hope it keeps the Tetris license in their hands because they actually treat it well.

test_account

XP-39C²
The original FF7 was supposed to come out only on a nintendo machine back then but got released on playstation instead because of CD-roms > cartridges
There was an FF6 tech demo running on the N64 which would've lead to FF7 but Square opted for PS1 because of CDs due to the lack of storage space on N64 cartridges.
Ah ok. I was actually thinking about that, but didnt quite see the irony if its going multiplatform. Would be more ironic if it went exclusive on Switch because the game was only possible on those memorycards and not on Bluray :)

sanstesy

I'm curious to see if Super Mario Odyssey has a Breath of the Wild type revival.

Mario is a completely different beast and not at all comparable. A Super Mario 3D World-type of multiplayer 3D Mario would no doubt sell better on Switch than a core single-player one. I'm sure they'll make one again after Odyssey as it makes too much sense with the Switch. A multiplayer 3D Mario like 3D World would have sold more than Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii as well.

Oregano

Ah ok. I was actually thinking about that, but didnt quite see the irony if its going multiplatform. Would be more ironic if it went exclusive on Switch because the game was only possible on those memorycards and not on Bluray :)

Well there's also the fact that Sony ad campaign back in the 90s was focused on how rubbish carts were and Squaresoft actually said no to an offer to port it to N64 from Angel Studios(now Rockstar San Diego).

cw_sasuke

More importantly 3D Land showed how much a 3D Mario can sell on a popular device... Depending on the quality SMO might be able reach similar heights.

test_account

XP-39C²
nearly 30 pages of nonsense and we're back to monster hunter, baybay
Well, you made 53 posts in this thread, does that mean that you were also speaking nonsesnse? :p More serious, i get that repeated discussions can be boring, but i dont feel that its valid criticism to say that almost everything in this thread is nonsense.

Well there's also the fact that Sony ad campaign back in the 90s was focused on how rubbish carts were and Squaresoft actually said no to an offer to port it to N64 from Angel Studios(now Rockstar San Diego).
I didnt know that.

Storage wise, it was rubbish compared to CDs. Whats the max size for such ROM chips today by the way? Did they hit a limit?

cw_sasuke

nearly 30 pages of nonsense and we're back to monster hunter, baybay

Ok I think it is time to read only the first 2 pages of the next MC threads from now on.

I mean no one is being forced to follow this thread or every post. What type of discussion do you expect after page 5-10? If something new comes up like the KT Switch comments it gets discussed and it goes back to the standard 3rd party discussion.

I mean no one is stopping you from bringing up some new interesting discussion points either... People complained when the MC threads were getting smaller prior to the Switch launch.... Now they are too big or full of "nonsense".

Orgen

I wouldn't call Odyssey a big hitter. It will sell 1, maybe 1,5m if it has a Zelda like revival. Something must counter attack last year's Pokemon December sales. Since nothing will be so big this year it needs a combination of many smaller but still million seller titles.

Who can counter Pokemon any given time? Only Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing (yokai if it has a revival with 4 maybe). So yeah, unless Capcom releases MH5 or Nintendo the new Animal Crossing no single title is going to do Pokemon numbers this December. I think there'll be some good sellers (I don't know it they'll reach millions) but I'm also expecting good numbers from Nintendo titles as always happen in Christmas, so maybe we can reach the same December numbers than last year.

Someone who got something right once, years ago, and has been irrelevant since. That's what I've been told, anyway.

Hahaha

:(

they told you wrong by the way :p

Oregano

Well, you made 53 posts in this thread, does that mean that you were also speaking nonsesnse? :p More serious, i get that repeated discussions can be boring, but i dont feel that its valid criticism to say that almost everything in this thread is nonsense.

I didnt know that.

Storage wise, it was rubbish compared to CDs. Whats the max size for such ROM chips today by the way? Did they hit a limit?

Switch already has 32GB and it's likely they can go higher, it's just expensive compared to pressing a disc. ROMs probably had a higher storage capacity than discs nowadays.

Passose

Banned
Who can counter Pokemon any given time? Only Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing (yokai if it has a revival with 4 maybe). So yeah, unless Capcom releases MH5 or Nintendo the new Animal Crossing no single title is going to do Pokemon numbers this December. I think there'll be some good sellers (I don't know it they'll reach millions) but I'm also expecting good numbers from Nintendo titles as always happen in Christmas, so maybe we can reach the same December numbers than last year
which titles?

test_account

XP-39C²
Switch already has 32GB and it's likely they can go higher, it's just expensive compared to pressing a disc. ROMs probably had a higher storage capacity than discs nowadays.
Ah, sorry, i wasnt clear enough, i was thinking about those old style ROM chips that e.g NES/SNES/N64 used :)

Top Bottom