• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

Salvadora

Mario is a completely different beast and not at all comparable. A Super Mario 3D World-type of multiplayer 3D Mario would no doubt sell better on Switch than a core single-player one. I'm sure they'll make one again after Odyssey as it makes too much sense with the Switch. A multiplayer 3D Mario like 3D World would have sold more than Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii as well.
It's definitely comparable.

Breath of the Wild type revival = Super Mario Odyssey increasing sales on it's predecessor.

Whether or not a 3D multiplayer Mario would sell more is an entirely different discussion.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Who can counter Pokemon any given time? Only Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing (yokai if it has a revival with 4 maybe). So yeah, unless Capcom releases MH5 or Nintendo the new Animal Crossing no single title is going to do Pokemon numbers this December. I think there'll be some good sellers (I don't know it they'll reach millions) but I'm also expecting good numbers from Nintendo titles as always happen in Christmas, so maybe we can reach the same December numbers than last year.

Hahaha

:(

they told you wrong by the way :p
Why are we assuming there won't be third version of Pokemon this year unless the Pokemon company have implied as such.

Pokemon games continue to sell despite successors being released.

Just look at Pokemon OR/AS & X/Y sales in the last FY.

Both > 1m.

That's true, but seeing how well Switch is doing, while also getting Splatoon 2 and Mario this year, I think it'd make sense to save it until next year when momentum inevitably slows down. Space things out a bit.

sanstesy

It's definitely comparable.

Breath of the Wild type revival = Super Mario Odyssey increasing sales on it's predecessor.

Whether or not a 3D multiplayer Mario would sell more is an entirely different discussion.

No, it's definitely not comparable. It's like saying Mario Kart has a Breath of the Wild type revival because Deluxe will sell more than the original Mario Kart 8. It will go back to Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2 type sales and that's it. There is just no similar revival possible because 3D Mario games never struggled to begin with.

Oregano

That's true, but seeing how well Switch is doing, while also getting Splatoon 2 and Mario this year, I think it'd make sense to save it until next year when momentum inevitably slows down. Space things out a bit.

If it's just the third version they still have the new generation boost for later on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I hope there isn't. What's the point? Pokemon Sun and Moon are still selling, and it would make sense to hold until at least next year.

There's little point in holding off for a third version the whole point is that it's a cheap cash in of the previous game. More likely they'd do another remake in that case.

If it's just the third version they still have the new generation boost for later on.

Pretty much and a third version released early in the 3DS lifecycle anyway that it could play. The difference is switch isn't backward compatible so it would need to be a port at least.

The funny thing is Nintendo doesn't need Monster Hunter to be successful in Japan lmao.

They have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and the soon to be monster Splatoon. At this point instead of Nintendo needing Capcom its Capcom that needs Nintendo.

Nintendo handhelds were successful before Monster Hunter, they would be successful without Monster Hunter.

Fortunately that won't be a concern because really the worst case scenario is multiplatform.

This thinly veiled nonchalant behaviour lol
Monster Hunter accounted for 5 of the million+ sellers for 3DS, more than any other franchise. It was never needed, just like how the PS4 doesn't need MH, but its evident how beneficial the franchise was for the system. Acting like Nintendo wouldn't desire it to repeat is lying to oneself.

I don't think there will be a large scale meltdown about MonHun for the same reason there wasn't for DQXI. It's expected.

Yoko Taro doesn't like the Switch.

Well its not like months were spent on how DQ will never hit the PS4 and quickly shattered once DQH was announced, followed by DQB, DQX and DQH2.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This thinly veiled nonchalant behaviour lol
Monster Hunter accounted for 5 of the million+ sellers for 3DS, more than any other franchise. It was never needed, just like how the PS4 doesn't need MH, but its evident how beneficial the franchise was for the system. Acting like Nintendo wouldn't desire it to repeat is lying to oneself.

Well its not like months were spent on how DQ will never hit the PS4 and quickly shattered once DQH was announced, followed by DQB, DQX and DQH2.

True but that's also the reason why Capcom won't leave because MH isn't selling 4 million in Japan on the PS4 so the exclusive arguement is a nonstarter.

So it doesn't matter. Most probably will be multiplatform.

zeromcd73

Stopped by the same Yodobashi Camera that had the massive amount of Switch stock yesterday. And...
9y9HHOu.jpg
7VmYpJ5.jpg
HqBTF5I.jpg
Today it was unfortunately sold out with no new date for a restock (plus DQ/Swich display pics!). So I changed my course to Namba and stopped by the Bic Camera there!

It was also sold out! But this time it wasn't just the console! With the exception of the Grey Joy-cons, the extra dock, and the car charger, every single accessory for the system was also sold out. Even the Mario Kart wheel things (Disgaea and Puyo Puyo were sold out too)!

Dropped by another two stores on the way home also were also sold out:

The first Monster Hunter betrayalton was kind of muted, if I recall correctly. 3G was just considered whatever since Tri was already on Wii, but then the 4 announcement happened and everyone was just in denial. Everyone just assumed it would eventually be multiplatform. It stayed that way for months.

Surely Tri was the first betrayalton.

-MB-

True but that's also the reason why Capcom won't leave because MH isn't selling 4 million in Japan on the PS4 so the exclusive arguement is a nonstarter.

So it doesn't matter. Most probably will be multiplatform.

Even that is a very big IF, considering the local MP focus, that is the main driver of its success in Japan. They would be literally splitting their fanbase apart with that move.
And comparing MH with DQ is disingenous because DQ has a storied past with having success on consoles, whilst MH only has a history of being a big bad flop ( relatively) on them.
MH success is purely based on the portable nature of it all.

Stopped by the same Yodobashi Camera that had the massive amount of Switch stock yesterday. And...

Today it was unfortunately sold out with no new date for a restock (plus DQ/Swich display pics!). So I changed my course to Namba and stopped by the Bic Camera there!

It was also sold out! But this time it wasn't just the console! With the exception of the Grey Joy-cons, the extra dock, and the car charger, every single accessory for the system was also sold out. Even the Mario Kart wheel things (Disgaea and Puyo Puyo were sold out too)!

thanks again for the updates

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hm, well, they were singing a very different tune after Portable 3rd was announced.

Which is widly different than saying that no one cared about the original MH3 announcement. That's quite a revisionistic view of things :p

Aaaaaand it's gone.

Thanks for the update.

L~A

The first Monster Hunter betrayalton was kind of muted, if I recall correctly. 3G was just considered whatever since Tri was already on Wii, but then the 4 announcement happened and everyone was just in denial. Everyone just assumed it would eventually be multiplatform. It stayed that way for months.

I still remember that rumour that originated from some sort of JP magazine that claimed MH4 was "delayed" to accomodate for a PSV version.

Regarding Switch shipments, given what we have, I'd say 120k for last week and 80k next week (then back to 50-40k once GW is over, as Chris said).

Of course, 80k for this week is assuming Nintendo kept something for the actual GW.

sphinx

the piano man
Regarding Switch shipments, given what we have, I'd say 120k for last week and 80k next week (then back to 50-40k once GW is over, as Chris said).

you mean that week 9 in this table will show a switch number above 100k??? cause that would be great news for switch.

Switch VS Other Launches
Code:
+--+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|  |    3DS   |    PSV   |    WIU   |    PS4   |    NSW   |
|La|2011.02.26|2011.12.17|2012.12.08|2014.02.22|2017.03.03|
| 1|   374.764|   324.859|   308.142|   309.154|   329.152|
| 2|   209.623|    72.479|   126.916|    65.685|    61.998|
| 3|    96.463|    42.648|   122.843|    35.294|    49.913|
| 4|    61.394|    42.915|    69.386|    29.677|    78.441|
| 5|    50.710|    18.361|    67.083|    30.201|    45.509|
| 6|    42.979|    15.219|    20.715|    23.327|    41.193|
| 7|    32.910|    18.942|    16.654|    13.401|    45.673|
| 8|    28.252|    17.141|    13.746|    13.034|    48.694|
| 9|    23.038|    13.939|    12.959|    14.396|          |
|10|    28.413|    12.309|    12.185|    12.712|          |
|11|    29.149|    11.186|    10.744|    11.486|          |
|12|    18.324|    10.023|     9.633|     8.480|          |
|13|    17.240|    10.041|    10.021|     6.792|          |
|14|    24.283|    10.021|     9.454|     7.543|          |

Hm, I know FFX / X-2 HD remaster was originally on Phyre Engine, but now that it's on PC I wonder why they never ported it elsewhere (XB1, or I guess now Switch).
Wikipedia says that in addition to PS3/PSV/PS4 it also supports Windows/Android/iOS, so it's a great choice for developers who want to support everything but MS/Nintendo consoles.

I wonder how much continued popularity it will continue to have, though, with 2/3 of that "PlayStation ecosystem" decidedly on the way out.
Skullwaker said:
I really hope the 3rd version of Sun/Moon isn't named Stars. It makes no sense, the Sun is a star. It should be called Pokemon Eclipse honestly, since that's a combination of the Sun and the Moon.
Pokémon Stars = Poké Monstars. If it's real, it'd probably be my favorite of all Pokémon game names. Well, OK, maybe Pikachu Genki Dechu would still win.
Psycho_Mantis said:
Why would FF7R on SW be a thread for the archives? Its a multiplat, The biggest curiosity is how bad it will look in comparison to the PS4 SKU.
FF VII is one of the big symbols of Nintendo's decline and Sony's rise to dominance in consoles. Now 20 years since its release, none of its ports or spinoffs has touched Nintendo hardware. The PS3 FF VII tech demo was something long lusted after and definitely seen as impossible on Wii. The FF VII remake we see now is something many people still see as impossible on Switch. For all these reasons and more, VII remake arriving on Switch would be seen as kind of a big deal.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wikipedia says that in addition to PS3/PSV/PS4 it also supports Windows/Android/iOS, so it's a great choice for developers who want to support everything but MS/Nintendo consoles.

I wonder how much continued popularity it will continue to have, though, with 2/3 of that "PlayStation ecosystem" decidedly on the way out.

Pokémon Stars = Poké Monstars. If it's real, it'd probably be my favorite of all Pokémon game names. Well, OK, maybe Pikachu Genki Dechu would still win.

FF VII is one of the big symbols of Nintendo's decline and Sony's rise to dominance in consoles. Now 20 years since its release, none of its ports or spinoffs has touched Nintendo hardware. The PS3 FF VII tech demo was something long lusted after and definitely seen as impossible on Wii. The FF VII remake we see now is something many people still see as impossible on Switch. For all these reasons and more, VII remake arriving on Switch would be seen as kind of a big deal.

Ok, you left me with no choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmZbUZLHX-k (warning: final part slightly NSFW).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You guys aren't discussing the interesting topics.... When is DQ IX PSP happening? Has to be soon.

Hellraider

You guys aren't discussing the interesting topics.... When is DQ IX PSP happening? Has to be soon.

Jokes aside, I've been expecting a DQIX re-release for quite sometime now with no luck. Mobile will probably happen sooner or later, but I'm still surprised how it never got a 3DS version.

KtSlime

Jokes aside, I've been expecting a DQIX re-release for quite sometime now with no luck. Mobile will probably happen sooner or later, but I'm still surprised how it never got a 3DS version.
There was no need for a 3DS version because it already ran on the 3DS. They would only marginally be improving graphics.

Edit: BTW, it just occurred to me, the New 2/3DS can now play every DQ game. SF 1+2*, SF 3*, DS 4, DS 5, DS 6, 3DS 7, 3DS 8, DS 9, 3DS 10, and 3DS 11.

*Not yet on Virtual Console

L~A

*Never on Virtual Console

Ftfy.

3DS VC is pretty much dead at this point (and has been dead for years, if not for the SNES releases). Do not expect anything to come to the service, except maybe an hypothetical Pokémon Soul / Silver.

KtSlime

3DS VC is pretty much dead at this point. Do not expect anything to come to the service, except maybe an hypothetical Pokémon Soul / Silver.

Ah, too bad, I knew it was dead on the FC side, but I have an LL, so I never really looked at what was available for SFC.

That's a very positive sign IMO. Hopefully it'll continue to have legs and might actually benefit from MK8D. Is it possible Disgaea 5 Complete indeed by now sold out its initial shipment? FW was only 20-40% according to Famitsu.

Celine

Remember this ad?
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/iR.../chorus_asset/file/7675663/Bamberger_8.0.jpeg

Now Final Fantasy 7R available on cart!

L~A

We don't have JP Sales yet, but MK8D is doing pretty well in the US:

With more than 459,000 combined packaged and digital sales in the U.S. on launch day alone (April 28), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch system is the fastest-selling game in the long-running Mario Kart series.

The previous record holder for the highest first-day sales in the franchise was Mario Kart Wii, with U.S. sales of approximately 433,900 when it launched in 2008. The solid sales numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe equate to an attach rate of 45 percent – meaning nearly one in two Nintendo Switch owners in the U.S. purchased a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the first day it was available. To date, more than 2.7 million Nintendo Switch systems have been sold globally.

From the NoA PR.

From over 100% attach rate for Zelda to 45% attach rate for MK8D. Truly a bomba.

Curious about the attach rate for Japan. Zelda was much lower in Japan compared to the west.

Passose

Banned
We don't have JP Sales yet, but MK8D is doing pretty well in the US:

From the NoA PR.

From over 100% attach rate for Zelda to 45% attach rate for MK8D. Truly a bomba.

Curious about the attach rate for Japan. Zelda was much lower in Japan compared to the west.
leading the UK chart, doing extremely well in the US, this game is a beast

Top Bottom