• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2016 (Jan 11 - Jan 17)

Fisico

Star Ocean is a far bigger franchise than Odin Sphere... that's for sure.

Well his point is maybe that, having a wider audience Star Ocean may target customers who haven't migrated to PS4 yet and remain on PS3 and that the Odin Sphere release somehow proves that the PS3 audience is dramatically shrinking.

I mean I kinda see the point, but I don't think it's very convincing (for various reasons stated in earlier posts) and I'm still not sure what we should expect from SO5 in the first place

duckroll

If Atlus marketing can push Odin Sphere to almost 100k in the first week, what are the expectations for Persona 5 now?

Tratorn

Great for Odin Sphere.

So things are getting normal now, hopefully PS4 won''t drop too much anymore and get some highs in the next few months. Would be sad to see if it falls down again with a much better 1st quarter lineup and a lower price point than last year.

notaskwid

... You do know Star Ocean 2 and 3 sold over a million WW?

I just think that it's not a franchise with pull (especially after 4) and that the rate at which PS3 software is selling and the (so far) Western focus of PS4 might hurt it's bottom line.
I hope I'm wrong though.

mrmickfran

I'm not gonna lie, that game has Vita written all over it.

And I say that as a guy who plays his Vita on the train pretty much every day.
I wonder what would happen if Atlus made another game like this, stripped out all the FE elements and released it on Vita.
If Atlus marketing can push Odin Sphere to almost 100k in the first week, what are the expectations for Persona 5 now?
I honestly expect 300k-500k first week.

I think people who would bite remake of PS2 game with dat price are ones who won't hesitate to migrate to PS4.

BTW 95K is already 15K above the original's LTD.

Also isn't Odin Spere already available on PS3 in classics form which actually fixes some of the slowdown from the original?

May16

01./00. [PSV] Odin Sphere: Leifdrasir <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.01.14} (¥7.980) - 43.394 / NEW
Hey, I'm one of those!
Edit: Holy shitballs, I didn't pay no 7,980 for it though. Jeebus.

Persona 5 could well aim at 500-600k units LTD. The IP has grown exponentially since the PS2 entries - if a cross-over spin-off such as Persona Q could get close to 300k units, I don't see how a mainline entry of one of the most anticipated series of the recent years cannot break at least half a million units.

Fisico

350k FW 600K LTD (doing my Red Ring Ryng Tolu #Splatoon here)

What are So5 expectations in Japan?

300-400k? Maybe even 500k

While the latter would be nice, I think Square-Enix would have greenlighted a fifth episode long ago if that was their expectations.
I don't think the IP is that popular anymore, and it's been 12 years since SO3 sold 500k+ on PS2

Elandyll

Banned
Xbo 99

Omg
Is it even still sold at retail?
Online alone via Amazon and co should acount for more than that...

We're borderline talking selling only units that come to replace out of waranty dead units at that level (less than 500 units/ month if trend keeps up).

mao2

I think people who would bite remake of PS2 game with dat price are ones who won't hesitate to migrate to PS4.

BTW 95K is already 15K above the original's LTD.
I guess you're right. It's great to see more people are migrating to PS4 now.

Altus must be really happy with the results.

Eolz

The PS3 dying is good news for Japan. It would be far worse if it just kept hanging on.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say despite the problems relative to the current ps4 userbase size.

Persona 5 could well aim at 500-600k units LTD. The IP has grown exponentially since the PS2 entries - if a cross-over spin-off such as Persona Q could get close to 300k units, I don't see how a mainline entry of one of the most anticipated series of the recent years cannot break at least half a million units.

I'm sure it will combined with PS3. 600k without it might be a bit too much though, but we'll see if there is a transition there as well (hopefully).

Edit:
tell me that you are trolling cause if not you really don't know how much shmup sales...
Not trolling and wasn't hoping for 9+k .
Was just hoping for at least 5+k especially since it was on a niche but relatively dedicated platform.

Go_Ly_Dow

FW - 450-600K
LTD - 700-900k.

All the spin-offs, anime adaptations, movies, remasters, word of mouth etc... I think people underestimate how much of an impact all of this has had. Expecting strong growth.

Lower than expected debut for the new Cardfight game. 3DS on par with last year weekly sales - not bad.

Yeah, COMG pre-orders made me think it was gonna do quite a bit better than this.

3DS Cardfight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! 44,092
3DS Cardfight!! Vanguard: Lock On Victory!! 32,816
3DS Card Fight!! Vanguard G: Stride to Victory!! 20.074

It's been on quite a FW decline, I'd imagine it's still profitable though.

OT: Great for Odin Sphere. Quite the difference between Dariusburst on the trackers.

Nice to see lots of HW up YoY or pretty much the same YoY.

It will sell as much but it won't have much legs - so more like 450k FW / 600k LTD.

Yeah, COMG pre-orders made me think it was gonna do quite a bit better than this.

3DS Cardfight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! 44,092
3DS Cardfight!! Vanguard: Lock On Victory!! 32,816
3DS Card Fight!! Vanguard G: Stride to Victory!! 20.074

It's been on quite a FW decline, I'd imagine it's still profitable though.

Apparently it's from the sequel series, Vanguard G, so its sales might more in line with its popularity (less than the original one, with new cast and such).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Was just hoping for at least 5+k especially since it was on a niche but relatively dedicated platform.

The retail release was limited and it was also released digitally on PS4 & PC (plus the English PC release was last year, which may have affected things a little).

Darius Burst is 3,675 on Media Create but 7,223 on Famitsu. What's going on?

Does Famitsu track digital sales? I forget.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Mario & Luigi finally made it to 80% sell-through :). Too bad it will need the bomba bins to clear original shipment, but 80% at least is not signifying a real failure, especially considering >200k could still be sold at full price. Certainly not a reason to drop the series.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
When you have 99 problems and sales isn't One..

Asd202

Around when they announced the PS4 port I was thinking that it may sell simillar to Tales of Xillia. Wonder if my hunch then was right. I still dream of 500k FW that would be amazing.

Kyoufu

I just want Star Ocean 5 to be successful enough for tri-Ace/Square-Enix to work together again.

*cough* VP3 *cough*

7k on Famitsu eh ;)

first stock should have been +10k considering it sold 60/80%

Darius Burst sold 8k on PSP back in 2009 just for comparison

Shahed

You mean Radiata Stories 2?

At least Lenneth would be in that. :(
Dammit joke failed on me!

Radiata Stories was actually the first time I came across Lenneth. It's actually what made me go back and play the Valkyrie Profile games. I never did that tower thing in Star Ocean 3 to see Lenneth when I first played the game. Only did it on my replay

Fisico

FW - 450-600K
LTD - 700-900k.

All the spin-offs, anime adaptations, movies, remasters, word of mouth etc... I think people underestimate how much of an impact all of this has had. Expecting strong growth.

Well I think you overestimate it.

Persona 4 "only" sold 300k on PS2, and Persona 4 Golden hasn't crossed the 350k threshold yet after having incredible legs for years.

Sure there's growth, but no one really knows how much exactly and I don't think pointing to 100-250k selling spin-off, a 25k/volume TV series (and a second one not exactly as hot) is a metric good enough to think that Persona 5 will sell 800k rather than 500k LTD.

Top Bottom