• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

Calm Mind

I really like Hino and his games. He gets too much hate.

Yokai Watch, Professor Layton and Fantasy Life are all gems.

Please be successful and release lots of games on Switch!

If I didn't know better I'd say their latest game was a direct sequel to Fantasy Life. It sure looks like it.

duckroll

Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/26/why-ni-no-kunis-sequel-is-going-in-a-different-direction/

Not that they've shipped much since then, but I can't actually think of a straightforward sequel they've announced since Yokai Watch 3.

Well, they tried something "different" with Layton 7 twice and those clearly all got canned hard. Instead they are now releasing Lady Layton which has been renamed to Layton's Mystery Journey or whatever, and it is now extremely close to the original series and they are clearly trying to attract old fans back. :p

MoonFrog

Sometimes I think I need to test this "Level-5 runs things into the ground" phenomenon for myself. Only played (some) of the original Dark Cloud and their two DQs atm.

I'm curious about Layton. Maybe I'll try and ascertain the situation by playing those...

ggx2ac

I wonder if Nintendo will announce Animal Crossing mobile this week as well?

Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is on the 29th of June.

Ōkami

Modern Warfare remastered is releasing in Japan on July 27th.

People have been rightfully complaining about the $40 price in the US, well Japanese players have to pay 6000 yen.

Black Ops III GOTY is coming out on Thursday, with that and WWII there's a lot of Call of Duty for this year.

Also further filling up July's extremely busy schedule, what better time to get remastered Call of Duty than right before the new Dragon Quest.

Well, they tried something "different" with Layton 7 twice and those clearly all got canned hard. Instead they are now releasing Lady Layton which has been renamed to Layton's Mystery Journey or whatever, and it is now extremely close to the original series and they are clearly trying to attract old fans back. :p
I remember they were like "this is the last one! Promise!" For Azran Legacy.
It is pretty weird that Layton 7 was rebooted and then seemingly cancelled. Was basically two different mobile games that barely had anything to do with Layton.

Vena

Ōkami;241929519 said:
Also further filling up July's extremely busy schedule, what better time to get remastered Call of Duty than right before the new Dragon Quest.

You clearly mean Splatoon 2. ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Turrican3

But my latest posts are concerned about how long the interest can last, if the hw will be sustained only by "Nintendo usual output" (quantity-wise, without an actual merge of their development streams), and so the comment about the concerning third party support.
But the merge is actually a thing, there's basically nothing (or, well, nothing I know of) coming to 3DS from their internal teams and most of the coming stuff is either outsourced, clearly low budget/effort or both.

And this is exaclty the concern: they weren't developing, they saw initial hw sales, they are evaluating and not yet on board (otherwise we should have already seen significant announcements) and thus if HW sales will continue to go well they will probably start developing something, that will arrive very late in the life cycle.
We basically know nothing about unannounced third parties plans. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Back in the Wii days, it wasn't like that, and the Wii was a very attractive platform for a new, wide range of potential targe/sales.
I think that's arguable in the West and even more for Japan though. Japan basically never went full-casual with the Wii, or at least it was a far less pronounced trend compared to the West.

First party lineup so far has been well managed. Good choice to allocate timings, good marketing push and so on. Good product selection too. In fact they are carrying the console in a very good way.
Quantity-wise we are not at the same Wii level you posted, despite Wii U ports and multiplatform games, so my question still stand: how will they manage to support the console
Comparison is a bit unfair IMHO due to a couple of extremely low budget stuff on the Wii.

But in the end I don't think we should worry if (and that's yet to be seen of course) Nintendo can manage a mix of first, second and third party like the one we have in 2017, which is shaping out as arguably one of the best launch year ever IMHO.

Casual market represented the vst majority of Wii sales, but now that blue oecan segment has shifted to mobile. I wonder how they could fill the potential gap with the wider market without being able to target that crowd. Nothing so far can make us believe they will actually be able, also looking at the decrease the 3DS suffered compared to the DS era.
Right now (not taking into account current stock issues) I think the Swith lacks both a true mass market price and arguably the right apps to appeal to a certain demographics. But I believe the DNA is there and the start (see viral images of certain celebrities) seems promising... it's just not here yet.

Even with very solid sales, in fact, Switch could still be seen as a secondary choice, due to PS4 record-breaking success, while the Wii at a certain point could have be seen as THE choice, with its outstanding success.
C'mon that's revisionism. :)
PS4 demographics nevere ever saw the Wii as THE choice, heck I'd argue on this very forum there's still people salty about the Wii huge success and/or that believe motion sensing is waggle and nothing else (not to mention actively downplaying IR pointing, arguably and ironically a feature that made some core-oriented genres better)

L~A

Olympics are early next year, so that could definitely be the case, but Steep also has an Olympics license (see E3 trailer), so that can only happen if they license to multiple publishers.

Hmm... was goign to point out there's been years with two official Olympics games, but turns out they were both from SEGA.

Still, I doubt Ubisoft went and paid for exclusive licence for a game like Steep, especially since Mario & Sonic would hardly be competition.

The SNES release guarantees a Fall direct with late-year releases (and more dates on currently undated titles).

The probability of an empty November/December is near null.

I for one am ready for El Capitan Todd Dos: The Capitaning.

As much as I'd love a new Captain Toad, it's probably too early for that. Most likely next year, using Odyssey engine.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
But the merge is actually a thing, there's basically nothing (or, well, nothing I know of) coming to 3DS from their internal teams and most of the coming stuff is either outsourced, clearly low budget/effort or both.

We basically know nothing about unannounced third parties plans. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

I think that's arguable in the West and even more for Japan though. Japan basically never went full-casual with the Wii, or at least it was a far less pronounced trend compared to the West.

Comparison is a bit unfair IMHO due to a couple of extremely low budget stuff on the Wii.

But in the end I don't think we should worry if (and that's yet to be seen of course) Nintendo can manage a mix of first, second and third party like the one we have in 2017, which is shaping out as arguably one of the best launch year ever IMHO.

Right now (not taking into account current stock issues) I think the Swith lacks both a true mass market price and arguably the right apps to appeal to a certain demographics. But I believe the DNA is there and the start (see viral images of certain celebrities) seems promising... it's just not here yet.

C'mon that's revisionism. :)
PS4 demographics nevere ever saw the Wii as THE choice, heck I'd argue on this very forum there's still people salty about the Wii huge success and/or that believe motion sensing is waggle and nothing else (not to mention actively downplaying IR pointing, arguably and ironically a feature that made some core-oriented genres better)

Well, I wasn't picturing the Wii as a paradise for / from third party, but as an example of how the lack of coordination between Nintendo positioning of the console with their first/second party output and third party perception/support and actual outcome was a mistake based on bad timing, due to lack of initial lack of confidence VS unexpected sales blowout

The risk is exactly that Switch, due to Nintendo not clearly picturing it as a 3DS successor (or, better: as a real hybrid merging both portable and home development streams) has already caused a worrying third party lack of actual and planned support that, if behind the curtains something is happening (and we don't know, because we have seen some announcements for Switch, that would delete the remote idea of misterious NDA blocking other announcements, and for other consoles for potential Switch games, from MH World to various anime licensed games, that clearly show how third party aren't neither planning Switch games for 2018), risk to arrive too late in the life cycle to determine an actual result

KtSlime

Well, I wasn't picturing the Wii as a paradise for / from third party, but as an example of how the lack of coordination between Nintendo positioning of the console with their first/second party output and third party perception/support and actual outcome was a mistake based on bad timing, due to lack of initial lack of confidence VS unexpected sales blowout

The risk is exactly that Switch, due to Nintendo not clearly picturing it as a 3DS successor (or, better: as a real hybrid merging both portable and home development streams) has already caused a worrying third party lack of actual and planned support that, if behind the curtains something is happening (and we don't know, because we have seen some announcements for Switch, that would delete the remote idea of misterious NDA blocking other announcements, and for other consoles for potential Switch games, from MH World to various anime licensed games, that clearly show how third party aren't neither planning Switch games for 2018), risk to arrive too late in the life cycle to determine an actual result

I do think it is important to remember that what Nintendo's PR might say when they want to sell 3DS to people could be different than what Nintendo says to developers hoping to get them to develop for their new platform. I don't imagine any publishers getting confused about if Switch is Nintendo's next platform of interest.

Turrican3

risk to arrive too late in the life cycle to determine an actual result
There's one thing that needs to be said.

Yes, many third parties were late to the party (!!!) with Wii.
But in my opinion many core games bombed because by the time they came to the market, the Wii audience had significantly changed compared to the early period and was basically a weird (?) mixture of casual and Nintendo enthusiasts.

Current Switch lineup seems *very* different to me right now (and I'm sure this affects the audience for obvious reasons) and unless a huge casual shift happens, I think even in the worse case scenario the outcome might diverge a lot from what we experienced in 2009-10 for this reason.

So around 8% attach rate as of May? Not bad for a digital only release I guess, and I doubt many of the markets targeted by Minecraft own a Switch yet.

I think it doesn't really matter. Minecraft Switch is the best portable version out there (except the PC version on a laptop, I guess) and it's a game that continues to sell. As more people get a Switch, more people will buy Minecraft.

The Minecraft audience is very broad. A lot of casual players and kids buy Minecraft too, but those are not the people who are the first to buy a new system. I expect that percentage to only rise as more Switch systems get sold.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comparisons for Minecraft

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193536254&postcount=227

Without october and december for the PS3 SKU and october for the PS4 SKU. (digital only)

As of 03/01/2016.
Minecraft (PS3, digital): 340 194
Minecraft (Vita, digital): 321 119
Minecraft (PS4, digital): 154 074
Minecraft (WiiU, digital): 77 233

Minecraft (Vita, retail): 523 780
Minecraft (PS4, retail): 28 807

Total: 1 445 207

Also, launch digital sales:
PS3 (6 days) 28 589 (or 34 days: 94 412)
Vita (26 days) 79 576
PS4 (32 days) 49 479
WiiU (18 days) 77 233

Laplasakos

Out of curiosity, what is the combined retail and digital number for Minecraft Vita? Also, anyone knows the second best selling game on Vita behind Minecraft?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I do think it is important to remember that what Nintendo's PR might say when they want to sell 3DS to people could be different than what Nintendo says to developers hoping to get them to develop for their new platform. I don't imagine any publishers getting confused about if Switch is Nintendo's next platform of interest.

Well, first party line up and price positioning aren't "misterious" and probably led third parties in being skeptical about it being able to be sold/seen as a 3DS successor in the short/mid term

There's one thing that needs to be said.

Yes, many third parties were late to the party (!!!) with Wii.
But in my opinion many core games bombed because by the time they came to the market, the Wii audience had significantly changed compared to the early period and was basically a weird (?) mixture of casual and Nintendo enthusiasts.

Current Switch lineup seems *very* different to me right now (and I'm sure this affects the audience for obvious reasons) and unless a huge casual shift happens, I think even in the worse case scenario the outcome might diverge a lot from what we experienced in 2009-10 for this reason.

This is a good reasoning, I agree.

Switch digital version of Minecraft sold 60k+ in May.

Wow, seem very good! Curious to see its retail version performances

noshten

Switch digital version of Minecraft sold 60k+ in May.

Road to 1 million begins!

I though it would be over 100K for May but 60K in 16 days is still decent. Should have already passed Bomberman R and take the reign as the most successful 3rd party game on the system for the foreseeable future.

Once the Switch stock situation is resolved and they are shipping 50-100K Switches per week - Minecraft will be one of the 3rd party games that will greatly benefit.

Eolz

I still feel that the eshop is currently too badly done in terms of UX to help in terms of sales and navigation.
It's hurting it.

Compare to all the competitors, and previous Nintendo systems, and you'll see quickly what I mean. No game highlight, no categories, no catchy UI, etc.

I still feel that the eshop is currently too badly done in terms of UX to help in terms of sales and navigation.
It's hurting it.

Compare to all the competitors, and previous Nintendo systems, and you'll see quickly what I mean. No game highlight, no categories, no catchy UI, etc.
Likely not their final plans for it. Was pretty good at launch but it does need some tuning.
They've made minor changes so I hope they keep with that

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Out of curiosity, what is the combined retail and digital number for Minecraft Vita? Also, anyone knows the second best selling game on Vita behind Minecraft?

Minecraft Vita sold 1.34M in Japan. God Eater 2 was the 2nd best selling title on Vita at ~420K. Just look on gamedatalibrary for that and a lot more.

Ōkami

Digital leaks say Minecraft 60k, Wolfenstein 70k, How to Survive 2 and Little Nightmares 10k.

We should get the whole thing tomorrow.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm curious how Undertale will fare on PS4 and Vita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Western games do very well in Japan at $5-$10 digitally.

This was also part of why NPD opted to move from units to revenue. Once they added digital, the best sellers were games that went on steep digital discount, and publishers weren't really feeling that.

NPD didn't feel it was especially representation of what was actually driving the market either.

That's 60k+ for 18 days, a little below from Wii U's 77k for the same period. Both are 50% more expensive than PS3, PS4, PSV Editions.

Retail release is a good guess for November/December.

I think retail will happen with the summer update with the "better together" features. That will allow the price of the retail release to go up as well.

Busaiku

27k Switch from Famitsu?
They can't get the stock sorted at all.
Splatoon 2 launch is looking increasingly worrying.

Top Bottom