• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well since consoles sales all around are doing bad in Japan where else do you expect Japanese third parties go to? Portables are Japan's bread and butter and the Switch is the answer to that. We have also seen a huge crowd of people standing in line for it. Splatoon 2 is just only going to increase the demand.

Mobile?

It seems to me that many software houses are already developing a lot for mobile, looking for that "very casual market" the DS perfectly fit, the 3DS partially fit, the Switch can't right now
Plus, the Switch can become, a bread&butter for the portable love Japan has, but in this very moment it isn't nor can be (for price, for positioning, for third party lineup: it seems obvious to me that nintendo didn't position the console neither in third party minds as a 3ds successor, otherwise we would have seen way more project at least confirmed/announced)
Plus, it is very evident how many third parties are seeing the global PS4 success as a good way to generate ROI by their projects.

I mean, we are in a world where even the biggest symbol of the Japanese portable gaming is looking for WW success/appeal despite its disappointing home console roots (of course I'm talking about MH World).

Having opinion is literally one of the worst excuse i really hate when we are talking about data here. That is like the most overused excuse one would use when he wanted to push his own view disregarding what truly happen.

Just like how i really hate people being overly positive on Switch situation, being overly negative is also a stupid thing to had.

Currently there are simply too much uncertainties going on with the system, We are really early in the system life. There are quite a number of third party games not launched on Switch at all. There are also trend which shows that Jp devs usually show up late in new console generation.

There both positive and negative points and when one is simply pushing one point and disregarding one, that is what i called being bias.

It would be enough to read some of my posts to see uncertainety all around, especially about third party support
About which, I bring the differences between 3ds/ps4 games announced in this moment of their life cycle, against Switch third party games announced in this moment of its life cycle, (and not the released ones) to underline exactly my point: the "late to the party" mess that Switch risks to see if third parties will wait too much to bring products to the console. That is what is actually happening, facts and numbers officially/publicly shared by the software houses.

casiopao

According to sinobi almost 100% of Metroid preorders at Amazon are for the Special Edition, nobody cares for the normal.

Not a strange thing considering how dead Metroid is in Japan. Hell, 90% of Metroid sales would come from the West almost guaranteed and even that, i had hard time seeing it do really well as i feel that Metroid fans number is always only a few of them but they had the biggest sounds.

casiopao

It would be enough to read some of my posts to see uncertainety all around, especially about third party support
About which, I bring the differences between 3ds/ps4 games announced in this moment of their life cycle, against Switch third party games announced in this moment of its life cycle, (and not the released ones) to underline exactly my point: the "late to the party" mess that Switch risks to see if third parties will wait too much to bring products to the console. That is what is actually happening, facts and numbers officially/publicly shared by the software houses.

However it is also a proven fact that Nintendo's platform is usually push and heavily supported by their biggest franchise first and then third party would come to support the platform if it is successful. We see this with DS, Wii and 3DS.

There is rarely a late to the party problem if the platform is doing really well as in the end, if Switch is doing well in Japan, and devs had product they are targeting Japanese fans, they won't be able to avoid releasing them on Switch.

noshten

Combining Mpl90's calculated numbers and Chris1964's 1,60 attach rate suggest that 12,5% of all Switch owners have bought a third-party game.

That's entirely discounting digital 3rd party sales.
Also it's kind of tough for 3rd party physical games to sell well - when the best performing one is Bomberman R and it hasn't even gotten a price cut since launch.
Compare this to digital store front where you have titles as low as a few hungered yen.
Launch third party titles are simply milking the lack of competition and digital titles are probably reaping the benefits.

ggx2ac

So confusing, I thought they were releasing the SNES Classic Mini in November because of lack of games announced.

Surprise, it's end of September instead. I wonder how many units they'll have manufactured this time around, last I remember, NES Mini Classic had 1.5 million units sold.

ggx2ac

Aside from the unreleased Star Fox 2 on the SNES Classic Mini, it would have been awesome if they added in Terranigma and a localised version of Famicom Detective Club 2.

Oh well, I'm still getting it unlike the NES Classic.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So confusing, I thought they were releasing the SNES Classic Mini in November because of lack of games announced.

Surprise, it's end of September instead. I wonder how many units they'll have manufactured this time around, last I remember, NES Mini Classic had 1.5 million units sold.
1,5m until January, 2,3m until April.

ggx2ac

1,5m until January, 2,3m until April.

Ah thanks, I somehow didn't know the latter.
------------

Considering how early the rumours occurred for a SNES Mini means there's been must have been quite a few months of manufacturing for this thing.

Maybe this time there'll be 10 million manufactured? It's certainly feasible to sell that many since it's a nostalgic novelty item they underestimated demand for its predecessor and this time is $20 more expensive but comes with a 2nd controller.

Kind of baffled that only the Famicom Mini Classic came with two controllers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't think Nintendo wants to flood the market with SNES Classic systems. A number double of NES Classic close to 5m would be enough for a plug and play system. Retailers and Nintendo will be more prepared this time but it's a limited release and won't keep being manufactured forever.

We are still in black for November and December since this device was a possibility. Fall direct will clear things again like last year.

ggx2ac

I don't think Nintendo wants to flood the market with SNES Classic systems. A number double of NES Classic close to 5m would be enough for a plug and play system. Retailers and Nintendo will be more prepared this time but it's a limited release and won't keep being manufactured forever.

We are still in black for November and December since this device was a possibility. Fall direct will clear things again like last year.

Yeah, I was thinking the earlier release date meant more units would be available up to holidays.

Makes sense that 5 million would probably be the maximum over that period since any more would probably take attention away from the Nintendo Switch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211539738&postcount=1

Level 5 showcased 7 mobile titles 11 months ago. All of those mobile titles were meant to be released by now. Now 11 months later, not a single one is out.

Lady Layton was originally spring, Snack World was later announced to be April but is now 2018, Otome hero was meant to be last winter but is now 2017 summer, the Yokai Watch encyclopedia was meant to be in November but is now this summer, Yokai Watch the original game was meant to have released in the fall of last year but is not out yet, Yokai Watch Gerapolism was March of this year but as of now generic 2017, and Fantasy Life is so fucked with several delays it is hard to keep count at this point.
Seems poorly managed overall mixed with announcing things too early.
It felt like they're trying to become the next Square Enix so they got that down. Too bad they can't make their games look exciting to anticipate like Square.

So since SNES classic is Not in November. Will Nintendo only do Pokémon for November?
Seems strange since this will probably be the least selling Pokémon of all the 3ds ones.

So since SNES classic is Not in November. Will Nintendo only do Pokémon for November?
Seems strange since this will probably be the least selling Pokémon of all the 3ds ones.

Skyrim still needs a release month. Maybe they're doing as much as they can do get it to sell to show they're serious about third party titles?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Skyrim still needs a release month. Maybe they're doing as much as they can do get it to sell to show they're serious about third party titles?

I can see Skyrim in November and I think Nintendo will push it hard in the west but its not a huge Japanese title and it does seem extremely odd that Mario is October

Yagami_Sama

A few days ago I received an email from Amazon saying that Skyrim would be released on November 28th and one day after they updated saying that it would be released on December 31st.

So, I think that November it is a good bet.And for some reason is one of the games that I am looking forward to play.

L~A

That's the first release of Snack world, right?
Feels like ages ago that they announced it.

There hasn't been any other release no, that's the first game, yup.

Aside from the unreleased Star Fox 2 on the SNES Classic Mini, it would have been awesome if they added in Terranigma and a localised version of Famicom Detective Club 2.

Oh well, I'm still getting it unlike the NES Classic.

As much as I'd love a legal copy of FTC2, I doubt it'll even be included in the SFC Mini anyway... let alone the SNES Mini.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I can see Skyrim in November and I think Nintendo will push it hard in the west but its not a huge Japanese title and it does seem extremely odd that Mario is October
The question is if Nintendo needs another big first party title in holidays. They can very easily have one and reveal it later but it's the first time after many years they can look put a system in auto pilot and still do crazy numbers worldwide.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Smash wont be out this year - Mario Kart 8, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey etc. will be selling and come back to chart once Nintendo ships more consoles. Also between ARMS, Pokken and USF2 i dont know if Switch needs Smash so early...in addition to having already 3-4 Mario titles on the system.

They gotta let Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and some of their 3rdParty partners breath as well.

wrowa

Smash will obviously be one of their big games for 2018. They can't release all of their big IPs in just a year, they need to save something for next year as well (assumingly Smash, Animal Crossing and 2D Mario/Mario Maker).

There nevertheless is a weird lack of a big Switch holiday release, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean SMO is their big Holiday game, even if its released a bit earlier. Same reason Switch didnt need to be released in November to have a strong launch with BotW...it might be smarter to balance the demand between a big software release and the hardware over multiple weeks. Otherwise i could see ppl. getting really mad about not being able to get a Switch and a new release like SMO if they have to compete with everyone else in the busiest retail weeks of the year.

Switch and its games will likely already have high demand leading up to the Holiday season.

Laplasakos

Having opinion is literally one of the worst excuse i really hate when we are talking about data here. That is like the most overused excuse one would use when he wanted to push his own view disregarding what truly happen.

Just like how i really hate people being overly positive on Switch situation, being overly negative is also a stupid thing to had.

Currently there are simply too much uncertainties going on with the system, We are really early in the system life. There are quite a number of third party games not launched on Switch at all. There are also trend which shows that Jp devs usually show up late in new console generation.

There both positive and negative points and when one is simply pushing one point and disregarding one, that is what i called being bias.

Aostia wasn't talking about data though. He was mainly talking about the third party support, first party line-up, markets and future lineups. Both Aostia and Mpl90 touched the hardware data of Switch which no one can argue that it's been pretty good not only in Japan but worldwide and it's the only paragraph where we have data that can all parties can agree that is good so it's not a matter of opinion. The next paragraph and final that we have data is for third party games that becomes a matter of opinion. For me (and Aostia if i am reading his words correctly) aside Bomberman the other third party games have sold mediocre at best but for Mpl90 the sales are fine for games like DQHI-II. We can't really say for sure if it's good or bad sales considering we don't know the expectations of each company but we can compare with other titles, launch lineup numbers, other ports perfomance etc.

Mory Dunz

The question is if Nintendo needs another big first party title in holidays. They can very easily have one and reveal it later but it's the first time after many years they can look put a system in auto pilot and still do crazy numbers worldwide.

Maybe another Mario Party or Olympics?
Or another Remaster. Stuff like MM3D and Xenoblade3DS had short reveal to release iirc.

And we still are supposed to get a 3DS Kirby action game this year, so technically, there is still something to announce.

Maybe another Mario Party or Olympics?
Or another Remaster. Stuff like MM3D and Xenoblade3DS had short reveal to release iirc.

And we still are supposed to get a 3DS Kirby action game this year, so technically, there is still something to announce.

Olympics are early next year, so that could definitely be the case, but Steep also has an Olympics license (see E3 trailer), so that can only happen if they license to multiple publishers.

Eolz

Combining Mpl90's calculated numbers and Chris1964's 1,60 attach rate suggest that 12,5% of all Switch owners have bought a third-party game.

Not too bad for now (and not counting digital obviously), considering the games out so far. Outside of Minecraft, there's nothing really big on their side yet.

I don't know it seems kind strange to market a 5 year old port as your big November game but hope it succeeds.

It'll be 6 years old by then!

But I'm betting there will be substantially more Nintendo content than just the Link amiibo bonuses, so it will probably do pretty well. Nintendo is publishing it after all.

MoonFrog

There is many place devs can goes anyway.

Mobile is currently the hottest item on Japan.
Switch is probably the second hottest item right now in Japan.
PS4 and PC if they are betting on the West to save their arse.

Or easier, just give up and actually try on new other industries other than gaming like Pachinko or gambling. The potential is limitless anyway.^^

Furthermore, companies already do go these alternate ways. Divesting from console gaming in favor of mobile or pachinko or what have you is a trend in the industry. Chasing the west is a trend in the industry and has been since the NES.

And chasing the west is not just something "big" titles do: plenty of niche Japanese titles with a traditional home on PS4/Vita are testing out PS4/PC as an alternative to PS4/Switch.

Both of these things are exacerbated by ballooning budgets, a recent history of poor navigation of choppy seas by Japanese companies, the mobile boom, and diverging hw/sw taste between Japan and the West.

A healthy Switch should draw Japanese games, but it is incredibly hard to read how many it will draw in an absence of information. Ideally Switch could draw tons of support: many Japanese games on the PS4 don't push that system very far and could find a second home on Switch (although they are coming out of the PS4/PS3/Vita tunnels), Vita successors could track portable form factor and not (just) go PS4/PC, core 3DS partners like Atlus, SE, Capcom, Level-5 could maintain a similar level of support, etc. But...Switch will undoubtedly fall short of the support it could ideally get and the questions remain to be answered how far will it fall short and in what ways.

2017 hasn't put these questions to rest. It probably was never going to, with Japan being slow in transition and Nintendo tending to try and lead from the front and "show the way."

It does suggest that Switch will be a JRPG machine. Atlus is putting at least SMT on the device, which suggests some confidence that it'll be an important device to them much as the 3DS/DS were. SE has committed DQ, a Bravely Default successor, and Tokyo RPG Factory games to the system. Nintendo has committed Xenoblade, FE, and Pokemon to the system.

There are vague promises of continued Sega support for Nintendo and Sonic is coming.

Level-5 and Capcom are the problem children of traditional Nintendo support, with both being coy about Switch plans, Level-5 seeming a bit lost, and Capcom sending unclear, somewhat negative messages about the future of MH on Switch in their build-up to MH: World.

There are also fears with respect to both of these companies of losing support to mobile, wrt their adventure games. The loss of a Nintendo version of NNK is also a negative sign.

As for new streams of support, things like Disgaea 5 are a positive sign, whereas things like Falcom going straight PS4 with recent announcements is a negative sign.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Smash wont be out this year - Mario Kart 8, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey etc. will be selling and come back to chart once Nintendo ships more consoles. Also between ARMS, Pokken and USF2 i dont know if Switch needs Smash so early...in addition to having already 3-4 Mario titles on the system.

They gotta let Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and some of their 3rdParty partners breath as well.

Third parties sold more than what they deserve on Switch so far and that's because of strong first party not the opposite. Nobody would care for all these late ports if it wasn't Nintendo to push the system, this should be very clear by now.

Make a competitive game and it will sell even if it has to go up against big first party efforts. With Wii and DS all that shovelware sold because Nintendo tried hard with own releases not the opposite.

With 3DS Nintendo wasn't in position to deliver high quality software for the launch, not many third parties were there to benefit from that.

It is super weird there's no December or November release outside of Pokémon Ultra.
Even the SNES Classic is September. Would be nice if they push Xenoblade pretty hard in November (assuming it makes it). Should be a pretty good game and a AAA JRPG franchise taking off would do them some good.

Fire Emblem doesn't have a date either, right? That doesn't seem like a good November game in any case.
Third parties sold more than what they deserve on Switch so far and that's because of strong first party not the opposite. Nobody would care for all these late ports if it wasn't Nintendo to push the system, this should be very clear by now.

Make a competitive game and it will sell even if it has to go up against big first party efforts. With Wii and DS all that shovelware sold because Nintendo tried hard with own releases not the opposite.

With 3DS Nintendo wasn't in position to deliver high quality software for the launch, not many third parties were there to benefit from that.
A lot of 3DS projects were cancelled or had their budgets reduced due to the 3DS failing to sell early on due to Nintendo not being ready. Likely caused a lot of damage with publishers like Konami never really came back.

Vena

The SNES release guarantees a Fall direct with late-year releases (and more dates on currently undated titles).

The probability of an empty November/December is near null.

I for one am ready for El Capitan Todd Dos: The Capitaning.

Yeah if Captain Toad doesn't get a sequel I'll be shocked.
If Skyrim is the big November game there better be a lot of new Nintendo stuff then(since it'll probably be charged full price).

Also to Look at the Major 3rd Party Games so Far

Super Bomberman R
Despite being expensive it sold half a million in a month and post launch support from Konami helps the game a lot in terms of possible word of mouth.

I am Setsuna
We don't know how this did anyway do we?

Disgea 5
Low debut in Japan but 110k preorders in the West which is quite good and could mean possible audience for these games.

Minecraft
It's literally at the top in all eshop charts and will do fantastic so no surprise

Street Fighter 2 Switch

Overpriced port that debuted recently everywhere it released so that's kinda shocking but since Nintendo seems to be building a fighting audience early on it helps grow that audience on Switch.

Eshop stuff like Snake Pass, NBA Playgrounds have also charted high on the eshop charts.

The fact these have sold relatively decent(well beside I am Setsuna but Square is bringing the studios next game collab with them over so maybe they were pleased with the performance.) should bow well for 3rd party this fall.

And I think after the holiday season is over we will see a bunch of confirmations for 3rd party(mostly Japanese studios).

Eolz

Bring back Panel de Pon and Lip please ;_;

edit: hope that Japan will get enough stock this time as well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Can we trade Kirby's Dream Course for Panel de Pon?

I am happier with the western lineup overall though. Just willing to make that trade. I'll keep EarthBound, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Punch-Out!! Although The Legend of the Mystical Ninja or Super Castlevania IV was a tough one.

ggx2ac

Can we trade Kirby’s Dream Course for Panel de Pon?

I'd like to think there'll at least be a new Puzzle League game for Switch.

Otherwise, Switch being region free means it would be easy getting Panel de Pon assuming it appears on VC unless... It only appears as a Nintendo Classic Game for Switch's online service for Japan Only.

Otherwise... Someone suggested a Pokémon Puzzle League could appear on an N64 Classic Mini depending on how many years that takes, I think it might be too early to drain the nostalgia plug and wait a few more years for that.

NoA localised Sin and Punishment back in the Wii days, feels like we have to do a Twitter movement or petition to get them to even try localising Panel de Pon for SNES VC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GamesBeat: A lot of people would have expected a sequel that looked a lot more like the original Ni no Kuni. Why was it important to you to change things up and add so many new elements?

Hino: At Level-5 we have a number of different series and franchises under our belts. Some of them have gone into five or six installments. Over time we’ve noticed a trend — when you release a lot of games with similar systems or mechanics, at some point the consumer is going to decide it’s all just the same. We’ve learned that when you’re developing each single piece of entertainment, you need to deliver new experiences no matter what franchise you’re dealing with. A large part of our philosophy at Level-5 now is always challenging ourselves, always challenging our form of expression, and delivering a fresh experience to the consumer.
Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/26/why-ni-no-kunis-sequel-is-going-in-a-different-direction/

Not that they've shipped much since then, but I can't actually think of a straightforward sequel they've announced since Yokai Watch 3.

Calm Mind

Can we trade Kirby's Dream Course for Panel de Pon?

I am happier with the western lineup overall though. Just willing to make that trade. I'll keep EarthBound, Super Castlevania IV, and Super Punch-Out!! Although The Legend of the Mystical Ninja or Super Castlevania IV was a tough one.

I would focus on just getting one for now. It will be modded soon after.

I really like Hino and his games. He gets too much hate.

Yokai Watch, Professor Layton and Fantasy Life are all gems.

Please be successful and release lots of games on Switch!

Top Bottom