• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2012 (Jul 23 - Jul 29)

gkryhewy

Yeah he isn't saying it's not a viable platform but rather stating the obvious that it's not selling and when it starts Tales will support it. It's common sense really.

He's not exactly saying that either. "The best decision" may be putting those remakes on 3DS.

Mario007

Well, if they're waiting to develop something, to me it seems there's nothing planned and therefore no Tales of for the next year at least... Which is not so good for Vita since Tales of should be one of the most appreciated series on Sony platforms and could really help Vita to take off (not alone, of course). Stating that the platform is not selling well and so they're unsure whether to support it or not means that now the platform is not viable, otherwise they would have something on it to announce.

I agree with you that it's not encouraging but it was to be expected, especially from Tales- a franchise that skips from console to console all the time.

What if it doesn't "start selling", though?

Yeah then they'd be in trouble. Basically he's saying, we did our part, now it's Sony's time. And honestly Sony does have to make an effort like Nintendo did this time last year to relaunch the Vita.

Also re the sales watch this year, it's gonna be great seeing whether PS3 Slimmer or Wii U will sell more. That's gonna be a tight race.

watershed

Banned
That quote is definitely questioning the viability of the vita as a platform for their games. The Vita isn't selling well because it has "no games" and developers don't want to commit to the platform because it isn't selling well. Something has got to give.

Mario007

That quote is definitely questioning the viability of the vita as a platform for their games. The Vita isn't selling well because it has "no games" and developers don't want to commit to the platform because it isn't selling well. Something has got to give.

Not to derail this thread but really Sony has to bleed some money either in forms of moneyhats or price cut to revive it if they're serious about it. Though then again Sony stated that the plan is to appeal to a niche at the start and the do price-cuts to get into the more market friendly rage. But if they had to cut their own predictions for the amount of units sold in the fy then I guess it's not all going according to the plan.

I agree with you that it's not encouraging but it was to be expected, especially from Tales- a franchise that skips from console to console all the time.

Actually, Tales of series have always been present on Sony platforms regardless sales, and even on other platforms regardless sales. Vesperia on 360, all Tales of on early days of PSP (Eternia, Phantasia, Radiant Mythology, Destiny 2), Vesperia on PS3 when the console was not selling well at all... That's why I think that if also Tales producer or whatever is starting to question Vita support, it's really a bad situation.

extralite

You cannot play all PSN games on PSV, the list of games supported is limited.

Of course there are a few ones that d(id/o)n't release on PSN and some that aren't compatible with Vita but most PSP releases are also on PSN and they've been for years now. The missing ones are mostly older ones, and SE was a bit late to support PSN fully (Crisis Core and BbS are missing, Dissidia and Type-0 are featured).

There's a huge catalogue of compatible PSP games on Japanese Vita PSN. I don't think it's missing any important recent titles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
He's not exactly saying that either. "The best decision" may be putting those remakes on 3DS.

Thing is - those games are already playable on the 3DS. I think the point of these remakes was to present them to a different audience, dont know if it would make sense putting titles like a TotT R on 3DS.

Would love a ToS Remake on 3DS.

I think it would be reasonably easy for Sony to convince (or money-hat) Namco to put a Tales game on the Vita in one way or another. Original mainline games are probably tied to the PS3 for the near future if Namco knows what's good for them, but I feel like there are other opportunities within the Tales franchise that would make sense to appear on the Vita.

Metallix87

Thing is - those games are already playable on the 3DS. I think the point of these remakes was to present them to a different audience, dont know if it would make sense putting titles like a TotT R on 3DS.

Would love a ToS Remake on 3DS.

Maybe they should scrap the "remake DS games" strategy, and simply push forward making brand new games?

I would like remakes of ToS and ToH, though...

Maybe they should scrap the "remake DS games" strategy, and simply push forward making brand new games?

I would like remakes of ToS and ToH, though...

I do think there's something planned on handhelf, something like Tales of the World or a crappy spin-off, because you know, Namco is Namco. Given Xillia's success, I think mainline titles will be PS3 or at least home console now.

Spiegel

The idea of remaking the DS Tales in ugly 3D graphics never made sense to me.

PS2 port + extras (ie Persona 4 Golden, not TotA 3DS) and great selling spinoffs (TotW:RM) are the best options for Vita and 3DS.

As a counter argument, here's an interview with Baba:

JPGAMES.DE: Can we expect new Tales of games for the 3DS, Vita or Xbox 360 or will the series stay on one platform?

Hideo Baba: When so many consoles exist, this means the development team has such a wide range of possibilities, but regarding the Tales of fans, most of them own a PS3 or a Vita. And thus the team is bound on this hardware. But I understand that there are so many various consoles on the market and it could be possible to release a Tales of game on other consoles.
http://jpgames.de/2012/07/our-interview-with-tales-of-producer-hideo-baba/

Erethian

It's not that Tales of fans have excellent tastes given what they've bought on PSP.

It seems pretty clear where Tales fans want their games, though.

PS3 for the mothership titles, handhelds (specifically PSP) for the spin-offs. Personally I think that if they were going to bother remaking any Tales games they'd be better off selling them on PS3. For all the console Tales, anyway.

Doesn't seem much point in a remake of Tales of Hearts.

Bruno MB

Another hour or so before the numbers come out, hype.

Yep, it is a very interesting week. Dragon Quest X and the second week of New Super Mario Bros. 2, Oni Training and 3DS hardware.

Here's what I expect:

Dragon Quest X - 350k
New Super Mario Bros 2. - 250k
Oni Training - 35k
3DS - 100k

luca1980

Banned
Any chance of Dragon Quest X really surprising in sales (500K+) ?
Doesn't change anything.
Lowest first entry in dq history.
Of course the real aim is monthly subs.
Understandable. Yet Se should give old fans their mainline offline chapter asap

DGRE

Banned
Where are the numbers??! I have a ticking time bomb waiting to explode (translation: one year old that doesn't sleep well and could wake up any second...)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Doesn't change anything.
Lowest first entry in dq history.
Of course the real aim is monthly subs.
Understandable. Yet Se should give old fans their mainline offline chapter asap
Do you think DQ 1 sold more than 500k in its first week?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
NSMB2 - 213,863 / 644,048
Oni Training - 29,170 / 75,698

3DS - 118,786
Vita - 8,203

Wii - 41,561 O_O

NSMB2 sales are really disappointing. Is it bad to say I'm somewhat happy about that?

Oh and Vita sales are horrendous but that's nothing new.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So already more than double the PS2 ltd of FFXI. Not bad, let's see if Wii can shatter records again by delivering the second subcrption based million seller in Japan ever.

It won't on Wii, but I bet it can do it between Wii and Wii U.

DGRE

Banned
People were talking as if the 2 days missed from NSMB2's opening week were a huge deal, but even with 2 weeks it hasn't reached either NSMB or NSMBW's opening week.

I think it's in line if you compare install bases of each platform at the time of each respective title's release.

Foshy said:
Why are people acting surprised every time when it's obvious that it's not going to magically rise in a week without new games?

Well there have been several people that have claimed it was stabilizing at 14k, then 12k, then 10k...

Top Bottom