• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2017 (Aug 07 - Aug 13)

Kanann

@ATLUS @Monolith Soft @SQEN

Post millennial game developers
"We really like Dark Souls"
"And Skyrim, god bless Skyrim"
"Let do RPG like Dark Souls and Skyrim"
"Okay"
"Okay"
"Cheerz!"

Not sure RE Revelations can reach 300k especially if it's a late release of a late re-release.
Only in japan I'm not sure XX can reach very high, though bundles should help.

Though I guess SFII sold way more than it probably should've so we'll see.

As for MHW's 1.5M, didn't MHXX sell about that much despite being a G version of MHX?
I guess making new assets so they can re-use them for a decade helps.

Am I misunderstanding or people actually think MHW won't hit 1.5 million (this is lifetime sales right, and worldwide or just Japan)? That sounds like an outrageously low estimate for their frontier franchise debuting on the latest consoles does it not?
We're not arguing that it won't hit it, we're arguing that's still too low given the development costs and the sales forecast they've already given to shareholders.

Zedark

It's too bullish for Japan only and too bearish for worldwide.
The tweets from Mochizuki suggest that 1.5 million was a "cautious prediction," which tells me it is interpreted as the WW prediction for the current fiscal year. That is quite low imo.

test_account

XP-39C²
What country are we talking about? There isn't a whole lot of overlap between 3DS owners and PS4 owners here.
West, regarding the ~1 million copies sold.

Let's say only 300k of the western MH 3DS buyers own a PS4/Bone. I think that's plausible? The other 700k are either Nintendo-only gamers (it was a game given a push by Nintendo themselves, so plays into that cohort) or handheld only gamers or kids or whatever. I can't see too many of a cohort like that getting a PS4 just for MH. It may push some over the edge who were interested already, but it's likely a lot will just abandon the series.

That said unless someone has exact market data on demographics of western 3DS MH buyers there is no way to know for sure. Maybe they are all hardcore gamers who have every platform so this is exactly what they have been dreaming of. I think that's unlikely given it's quite a quirky very Japanese series, but who knows.
I have no idea. Could also be that a lot of people bought into the 3DS because of Monster Hunter. Like you mention, its impossible to say for sure.

Eolz

MVCI at 2M is kind of high given that SFV hasn't reached that in like a year and a half.

I disagree.
I know there's a lot of shitposting for this game (and most of the criticism is justified), but it's a game appealing to casuals, that will attract some hardcore players anyway, and some SFV players are interested in a transition to this game instead.
MvC3 is at 2.2M, UMvC3 at 1.2M on PS360, and the release is at nearly 100k on Steam (and probably the same on PS4). Disney will push a bit in terms of marketing too.
They'll do 2M a lot more easily than SFV imo.

Capcom in particular almost exclusively makes multiplatform games, especially for the types of products that make sense to port, so you would actually have to go to another publisher like Square Enix and look at Rise of the Tomb Raider for a similar example.

They did announce Dead Rising 4 was coming to Steam a few months after the Windows 10 release, which would have slowed their sales on the Windows 10 store if you really want a Capcom specific example. Similarly they announced that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was a timed PS4 exclusive that would be out on Xbox One and PC shortly after. We did cover Monster Hunter World's PC version as well.
Wasn't Rise of the Tomb Rider known as a timed exclusive quiet early? If memory serves me right after the announcement at the MS press conference it was actively devated in the forums. This contrats with REmake, Zero and RE4 which were announced as GC exclusives. In the case of Zero and Remake ports took up until the 8th gen to appear so, at the conception of the announcement, that was the intention until plans changed years later with RE4.

im not familiar with Dead Rising 4 case, but according to what you write there, the Steam version was made public some months after release which makes matters different to what we are discussing.

How was the PS2 version of Code Veronica managed by Capcom? i honestly don't know save for the fact that it came like a year later after the DreamCast version.

Fisico

@ATLUS @Monolith Soft @SQEN

Post millennial game developers
"We really like Dark Souls"
"And Skyrim, god bless Skyrim"
"Let do RPG like Dark Souls and Skyrim"
"Okay"
"Okay"
"Cheerz!"

I mean you can oversimplify things like that, it's not entirely false, but it really brings next to nothing to the discussion, if you want to sneer just do it on your own otherwise if you feel like contributing just state some things clearly, a post like that isn't open to any answer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't Rise of the Tomb Rider known as a timed exclusive quiet early? If memory serves me right after the announcement at the MS press conference it was actively devated in the forums. This contrats with REmake, Zero and RE4 which were announced as GC exclusives. In the case of Zero and Remake ports took up until the 8th gen to appear so, at the conception of the announcement, that was the intention until plans changed years later with RE4.

im not familiar with Dead Rising 4 case, but according to what you write there, the Steam version was made public some months after release which makes matters different to what we are discussing.

How was the PS2 version of Code Veronica managed by Capcom? i honestly don't know save for the fact that it came like a year later after the DreamCast version.
Rise was presented as an exclusive and then got a release window nailed down on PS4 shortly before release on Xbox One.

I disagree.
I know there's a lot of shitposting for this game (and most of the criticism is justified), but it's a game appealing to casuals, that will attract some hardcore players anyway, and some SFV players are interested in a transition to this game instead.
MvC3 is at 2.2M, UMvC3 at 1.2M on PS360, and the release is at nearly 100k on Steam (and probably the same on PS4). Disney will push a bit in terms of marketing too.
They'll do 2M a lot more easily than SFV imo.
SFIV sold pretty well including over a million on 3DS, didn't stop SFV from selling <2M during a year and a half from launch.
I guess marketing will be the deciding factor as well as the game's quality outside of the poor visuals

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only mistake campcom made with Street Fighter on Switch was not having it ready for day one. Probably could have doubled sales from the one time people are absolutely desperate for more games.

It still blew away their expectations despite being a bit later.

The only mistake campcom made with Street Fighter on Switch was not having it ready for day one. Probably could have doubled sales from the one time people are absolutely desperate for more games.

It still blew away their expectations despite being a bit later.
Wonder why more devs didn't have something to show for launch. Bomberman of all thing sold half a million despite not being super good

Luigiv

When was the last time that Nintendo had a bundle of its home console with a third party game? MH3U? I remember a Tales of Symphonia bundle for GC that was also comprised of 20-25.000 units IIRC (that week GC beat PS2 too I think).

Man, I loved that colour (but not the tackled Lloyd in the middle)

VISUEL-NGC-Bundle-Tales-of-Symphonia.jpg
To be fair, that's just a face plate, so theoretically you could get that system and swap the Lloyd faceplate for the default one.

casiopao

Bandai-Namco bringing the big guns for Nintendo Switch this year. They're bringing 2017 GOTY, the Dark Souls of party-game... Gotouji Tetsudou for Nintendo Switch!!

No, it's not me beign super excited, they really did put !! in the title ;)

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201708210070/

(Port of the Wii U version of the game with extra content, but missing features like Miiverse)

I remember this game did quite well right? On Switch, it probably should do quite well till Mario Party drop there.

LOCK

I think Monster Hunter World will continue a decline for the series in Japan. It really doesn't matter the platform. I'm sure Switch will get a portable version in a year or so.

I think Capcom is afraid a series decline is happening and so a stronger focus is being made towards Western markets. I do think they have some mismanagement issues as a company, but I don't think MHW missing Nintendo systems is that big of a deal. Nintendo maybe unhappy but they should invest into the company if they want more control. Now if they completely abandon portable markets then that would be suicide.

Ōkami

Not like it was expected to do well but Sonic Mania wasn't even Top 10 on PSN last week, 4 out of the top 5 games were Dragon Quest titles.

Best selling digital game in Japan last week was Undertale, good as the retail version didn't do anything.

Kid Ying

I thought it cratered? Maybe just on Wii U and did well on 3DS?

Fun fact, this was by Grounding. Yep, Crimson Dragon/Sakura Samurai Grounding.
It cratered on wiiu, but did relatively well on the 3ds. If i remember right, It sold something like 15k on the U and almost 100k on the 3ds.

I think Monster Hunter World will continue a decline for the series in Japan. It really doesn't matter the platform. I'm sure Switch will get a portable version in a year or so.

I think Capcom is afraid a series decline is happening and so a stronger focus is being made towards Western markets. I do think they have some mismanagement issues as a company, but I don't think MHW missing Nintendo systems is that big of a deal. Nintendo maybe unhappy but they should invest into the company if they want more control. Now if they completely abandon portable markets then that would be suicide.
I'd say Capcom should downport the MHW engine onto Switch. Using that engine reuse assets from MHW. Call it Monster Hunter 5 Portable have it play similar to a more classic MH style. Have a new campaign, lots of new content intermixed with some content from MHW. Release it late 2018/ Early 2019. That way Capcom, Nintendo, Sony, MH fans and Switch owners can have their cake and eat it too. If MHW is successful there is no reason that they can't have multiple successful MH based franchises.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'd say Capcom should downport the MHW engine onto Switch. Using that engine reuse assets from MHW. Call it Monster Hunter 5 Portable have it play similar to a more classic MH style. Have a new campaign, lots of new content intermixed with some content from MHW. Release it late 2018/ Early 2019. That way Capcom, Nintendo, Sony, MH fans and Switch owners can have their cake and eat it too. If MHW is successful there is no reason that they can't have multiple successful MH based franchises.

I mean it runs on MT Framework....which already is supported by Switch and used for USF2. It will likely be used as well for the next MH Switch title after World.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lol. Those investor is even more incompetent lol.

Betting on Capcom to do well on Mobile is like hoping no delay will happen to L-5 mobile game.

They're not betting on Capcom to do well on mobile. They want the people licensing their IPs to do well.

casiopao

They're not betting on Capcom to do well on mobile. They want the people licensing their IPs to do well.

I am not even sure if Capcom had any proper IP which can be suitable for mobile market here lol.

I would actually agree on Capcom giving other more competent mobile company to actually do their works as i feel that had much bigger chance of doing well vs Capcom striking gold in mobile market.

Atram

I am not even sure if Capcom had any proper IP which can be suitable for mobile market here lol.

I would actually agree on Capcom giving other more competent mobile company to actually do their works as i feel that had much bigger chance of doing well vs Capcom striking gold in mobile market.

Monster Hunter Gacha mobile Game, problem solved.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Regarding those low MHW expectations... maybe Sony will announce a new handheld for next year and they're getting all in early. I don't following gaming news like I use to... Have there been any rumblings to make that feasible? I'm tired of always using the "It IS Capcom" excuse... So let's go with that.

Regarding those low MHW expectations... maybe Sony will announce a new handheld for next year and they're getting all in early. I don't following gaming news like I use to... Have there been any rumblings to make that feasible? I'm tired of always using the "It IS Capcom" excuse... So let's go with that.

No.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Sengoku Basara and Breath of Fire seem like obvious fits if helmed by competent developers. There are large audiences for both female-targeted and nostalgia RPG mobile gaming.

Monster Hunter could work, but you would need a very good developer to extract what people like about the series in a way that makes sense for mobile.

Mega Man is a maybe. Children's IP can be a bit harder to work with in the space, which is what Mega Man has been positioned as for quite a while now. It's not as obvious a fit for a nostalgia RPG either as people are less attached to the specific characters.

Street Fighter is a bit more awkward as something like Marvel or Injustice (the mobile versions) makes the most sense, but I'm not sure Capcom would want to license to Western studios who would be more likely to run that kind of game successfully.

Resident Evil is an odd one, since there is a lot of enthusiasm for the series and its characters, but it runs into the same issue as Monster Hunter.

You could probably get Nexon to make their style of mobile game for Devil May Cry, but I'm not sure if that brand has any meaning in Korea.

Outside of that... the other IPs are less obvious.

casiopao

Sengoku Basara and Breath of Fire seem like obvious fits if helmed by competent developers. There are large audiences for both female-targeted and nostalgia RPG mobile gaming.

Monster Hunter could work, but you would need a very good developer to extract what people like about the series in a way that makes sense for mobile.

Mega Man is a maybe. Children's IP can be a bit harder to work with in the space, which is what Mega Man has been positioned as for quite a while now. It's not as obvious a fit for a nostalgia RPG either as people are less attached to the specific characters.

Street Fighter is a bit more awkward as something like Marvel or Injustice (the mobile versions) makes the most sense, but I'm not sure Capcom would want to license to Western studios who would be more likely to run that kind of game successfully.

Resident Evil is an odd one, since there is a lot of enthusiasm for the series and its characters, but it runs into the same issue as Monster Hunter.

You could probably get Nexon to make their style of mobile game for Devil May Cry, but I'm not sure if that brand has any meaning in Korea.

Outside of that... the other IPs are less obvious.

Sengoku Basara could probably be successful if they are choosing a different approach from the main game and choose to change it into some kind of dating simulation gacha system. That way, they can have tons of freedom to play with those characters.

BoF literally just bombed so badly that i think resting the IP for a few years would be a good idea lol.

Megaman for me had potential but not on child market but they should try targeting nostalgia fanbase more like probably making a Elf Wars mobile game with tons of gacha to work with.

Doing Megaman mobile like FE heroes style for me should be able to do moderately successful.

SF wilk never able to do as well as Marvel or Injustice. Marvel and Injustice is helped greatly by comic book fans who mostly should also have mobile phones. Meanwhile not only SF is dropping in popularity, the characters does not seems to be epic enough to had any extra pull for other mainstream fans.

RE and DMC i had zero idea on how they can do on mobile lol.

Eolz

SFIV sold pretty well including over a million on 3DS, didn't stop SFV from selling <2M during a year and a half from launch.
I guess marketing will be the deciding factor as well as the game's quality outside of the poor visuals

Again, SFIV and SFV were in completely different situations.
IV came back after a long time and after an unpopular (in sales) SFIII.
SFV came in too soon (people knew there wasn't much content before release), SFIV was still popular, and they had awful communication and post-launch support, basically destroying any good word of mouth.

edit: SFIV 3DS has nothing to do with the original point of MvCI a bigger sales potential than SFV. We're talking about PS4/PC in both cases (+X1 for MvC).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
With Capcom expectation for mhxx switch at 500k, with it being reiterated as a Japanese only release, maybe my issues with YSO predictions and possible negative consequences about Capcom support are clearer (is that a correct word or should I say more clear?)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
With Capcom expectation for mhxx switch at 500k, with it being reiterated as a Japanese only release, maybe my issues with YSO predictions and possible negative consequences about Capcom support are clearer (is that a correct word or should I say more clear?)

where was that 500K number confirmed?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
where was that 500K number confirmed?

Here?
We tried to figure out the meaning and it seem plausible that the 1.5m for MHW is about the end of fiscal year, with a release really close to it
Other projections for switch games could be related to the FY too, each based on its own release.
With ST II already around 450 the 500k is easily doable WW. More doubts about revelation but it has a WW release in time for Christmas (right?)
Way harder for a Japanese or release of mhxx, if it will debut around 85/90k

But I have to admit that looking good back the predictions had a range, between 300k and 500k

I would say that if YSO is on spot and if the game will stay in Japan its sales will be disappointing compared to those predictions

I don't think that in a situation like this where Capcom switch support clearly wasn't planned as a priority, not matching sales predictions will not have a positive impact going forward

That is all I meant to share few days ago

Zedark

About MHXX: it's climbed to the second place in the amazon chart, above DQXI 3DS and below DQXI PS4, was hanging around 5th to 10th for a couple
lol
of days.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You discovered my true identity..

mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj

Call me Takashi from now on
I know Media Create threads are paradise for misinformation but if you want to play the same song every week at least try not to contribute so much to it. You made a whole scenario labelling an analyst's predictions as Capcom's official forecast and YSO predictions as official numbers. This must be the first time we are supposed to have a forecast with range.

&#332;kami;246673984 said:
Not like it was expected to do well but Sonic Mania wasn't even Top 10 on PSN last week, 4 out of the top 5 games were Dragon Quest titles.

Best selling digital game in Japan last week was Undertale, good as the retail version didn't do anything.

Did Undertale even have retail release in Japan? At least I can't find anything from japanese Amazon.

Well no wonder it didn't have anything in Amazon. Kinda weird that they didn't bother with retail version for Japan considering how retail heavy market it still is. Game itself has kinda cult following in japan even before this official release so it could had done decent numbers in retail too (going by steamspy it has sold over 70k units in Japan on PC without official translation).

Vena

Well no wonder it didn't have anything in Amazon. Kinda weird that they didn't bother with retail version for Japan considering how retail heavy market it still is. Game itself has kinda cult following in japan even before this official release so it could had done decent numbers in retail too (going by steamspy it has sold over 70k units in Japan on PC without official translation).

Well that following is on PC, so what's the guarantee any one would go out and buy this on any other platform at retail (and we don't really know how many people bought this on PSN, it could be anywhere from (ballparked) 10k and up)? Its a big risk that could result in a bunch of dead stock, I doubt you can make a great case for retailers to buy it from you or for someone to do a print run, even if small.

Also 8-4 is still fledgling in this part of their business, so, walk before you run.

Well that following is on PC, so what's the guarantee any one would go out and buy this on any other platform at retail (and we don't really know how many people bought this on PSN, it could be anywhere from (ballparked) 10k and up)? Its a big risk that could result in a bunch of dead stock, I doubt you can make a great case for retailers to buy it from you or for someone to do a print run, even if small.

Also 8-4 is still fledgling in this part of their business, so, walk before you run.

Considering that you have retail releases with sales lower than 5k units pretty much weekly I don't see how printing small launch shipment would had been that risky. Well hopefully it does well enough as PSN release. Great game.

Top Bottom