• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2017 (Aug 07 - Aug 13)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FF XII had a direct sequel on DS and some cameos in FFTA2 and the Tactics remake. That's about par for the course for the post IX FF games. X has a sequel, XI is an ongoing MMO that's had a few side projects. XIII had two sequels. XIV technically has two completely separate versions and XV, well, we're just getting started on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I went to look if any new mobile games had come out, and I see that Sony Aniplex's newest game is Fate/Grand Order, but Magica Madoka.

etupe.jpg

imuzp.jpg

It's off to a strong start at #3 on the top grossing charts.

Shengar

There are thousands of Monster Hunter doujins.
They can easily do a gatcha with different armor sets from different artists.

By this logic, we should have hundreds of scaled figure merchandise of Monster Hunter armor.
Yet, we don't.

It's actually possible, but it would require a lot of effort to establish the characters (like those doujins does), and then the gameplay where it definitely have to depart from action. Most possible one will be RPG and team management, but isn't that already peaked with GBF, F/GO, and other numerous mobile game out there?

Aters

How did Sony get all these licenses like Fate and Magica Madoka? They literally print money.

Did Atlus milk p4 to recoup costs from developing p4 because it underperformed? because that's the premise we're discussing here

I thought we were talking about the definition of milking. I wouldn't be surpried if Atlus indeed used milking to recoup P4's cost though. Atlus' last year financial report wasn't pretty, look at they are milking P5 now.

On the topic of whether FFXV can run on the switch, I think it is worth noting that it likely would not be a PS4/XBone port but a Windows one. The game is already being ported to PC, and PC games tend to scale extensively, even if they don't always scale that well. People can mod GTAV into running on the GPD Win, I am far from certain that with some optimization work SE couldn't get FFXV running on Switch, perhaps with reduced draw distance. A whole lot of overhead was probably created by the original engine, and if they actually bother to port it to PC rather than merely brute forcing it then they will have the basis for a Switch version.

Then again, Nier Automata might indicate that SE has no real interest in putting much work into optimization their software.

ggx2ac

How did Sony get all these licenses like Fate and Magica Madoka? They literally print money.

Aniplex are owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan.

Aniplex owns A-1 Pictures (animation studio), Aniplex works on Anime, Music production, Retail Merchandising, etc.

Here's a link that goes into more detail if you want to read: http://www.aniplex.co.jp/eng/works.html

So anyway, Aniplex can be thought of as something like Bandai Namco with regards to multimedia aside from video games.

L~A

Apparently the reason for the special bundle is Splatoon 2 update and amazon was informed for it for it many weeks before in advance. This looks another good week for Switch shipments.

That's interesting, didn't know retailers got this kind of details. And yeah, today's Splatoon 2 is a pretty meaty one: two new maps, special weapons, and lots of other stuff coming via the weekly update later.

Get? Aniplex is involved in the production of both series.

On the topic of whether FFXV can run on the switch, I think it is worth noting that it likely would not be a PS4/XBone port but a Windows one. The game is already being ported to PC, and PC games tend to scale extensively, even if they don't always scale that well. People can mod GTAV into running on the GPD Win, I am far from certain that with some optimization work SE couldn't get FFXV running on Switch, perhaps with reduced draw distance. A whole lot of overhead was probably created by the original engine, and if they actually bother to port it to PC rather than merely brute forcing it then they will have the basis for a Switch version.

Not to forget: NVIDIA helps with the PC version, guess which manufacturer produce the Switch chipset for Nintendo and has probably an interest that Switch sells good. NVIDIA has been very happy to use Switch success to promote their own hardware/chips.

There is no doubt that FFXV can run on Switch, obviously with some cuts regarding resolution or effects. But look what even ports like Fifa18 or Lego City look on Switch, most people don't even see the difference to the PS4/X1 versions. Switchs very good screen that has better contrast and sharpness than many TVs obviously helps in this regard.

casiopao

I went to look if any new mobile games had come out, and I see that Sony Aniplex's newest game is Fate/Grand Order, but Magica Madoka.

It is going to be interesting to see if this one can stay strong considering how long the anime have ended and i heard the gacha rate is also quite bad right now?

The project that became FFXV began production in 2006.
You can split hairs about "full production" all you want, there had been significant amounts of work done on that project before it was rebranded, and significant amounts of work done under Tabata built on top of that existing work when he came aboard to salvage it.

I mean, I don't even know what you're arguing - that for 6 years it was just Nomura sat at a cubicle by himself doing sketches and rough plot beats with no other staff? Come on.

It can still be successful without living up to their expectations for the franchise.
Do you believe that SE are 100% satisfied with how it has performed at market as their premier franchise?
Do you believe that they consider FFXVs development an exemplar for how to develop a modern AAA titles, and they will do everything they did with it over again in their next project because it was such a trouble free project that was so stress free and enjoyable to work on?

It was a troubled project that they successfully brought to market, that in no way diminishes that that is an achievement in and of itself but - again - my impression is that they wanted more that it achieved, and will continue to produce spin offs reusing assets because those can contribute to what they want the franchise to be, and can be made cheaply on top of those already sunk costs.
You need to dig into the history of Square Enix when Versus was in the so called 'development.'

Yes. Initially it was just Nomura and a bunch of his core staff team from Kingdom Hearts that were working on Versus XIII. Just because Nomura has a hard-on for Visual Works cinematics doesn't mean the game was in active production before 2011. The first actual gameplay footage that looked relatively polished didn't arrive until 2011. Before that, all Versus had was visual works cinematics or very rough gameplay screenshots with a bland open world.

Versus had a troubled history because of a variety of reasons. It is less about sunk costs and more about fucking up on internal engine when Crystal Tools was deemed a failure for open world and it was supposed to power Versus XIII. FFXIII suffered as a result too so you might as well lump the costs of FFXIII with Versus XIII. Once FFXIII was out, another shit storm began with FFXIV which basically completely transformed SE as they rushed everyone to fix the mess. A lot of projects were cancelled or put on hold just to fix FFXIV and while the end result is remarkable, it also killed the Versus XIII and a whole bunch of projects.

So yeh, Versus XIII alone didn't make SE bleed money but it was the combination of FFXIII, Crystal Tools and FFXIV so I don't see why you can just single out FFXV here. SE had likely recouped the costs that they bleeded during this time with the money they made after milking FFXIII and are now 'milking' FFXIV. You bet they are gonna milk Kingdom Hearts 3, FFVII Remake and will do so with everyone of their successful IPs with projects on Mobile, Handhelds and Media.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is it normal for Amazon jp to get such a high ratio of available hw?
Numbers of these bundles have been pretty high compared to the total weekly sales

Gradivus

Is it normal for Amazon jp to get such a high ratio of available hw?
Numbers of these bundles have been pretty high compared to the total weekly sales

They seem to be high enough to cause Bomberman, Arms or Mario Kart to jump in the Media Create ranking during the week of said bundles.

ggx2ac

The Nintendo site for ordering Switch units was down?

Google translate:

Nintendo's (7974) mail order site "My Nintendo store" has been access restricted due to congestion since 12 o'clock on the 23rd. Nintendo also began accepting reservations for home video game machines "Nintendo Switch" from around 12 o'clock on the same day.

"My Nintendo Store" had accepted reservations for "switch" on 22nd, but due to congestion, we limited the number of accessible people. Although the planned number is unpublished, acceptance is terminated when it reaches. [Nikkei QUICK News (NQN)]

http://mw.nikkei.com/sp/#!/article/DGXLASFL23HBD_T20C17A8000000/

Pachael

Get? Aniplex is involved in the production of both series.

It's Magia Record (Puella Magi Madoka Magica Gaiden/Side Story), but the latter is wayyy too long.

It is going to be interesting to see if this one can stay strong considering how long the anime have ended and i heard the gacha rate is also quite bad right now?

Half of yesterday did have emergency maintenance anyway (curse you Madocchi for suggesting it) and the 4* (highest rarity) rates are 1% for the (playable) magical girls, which is on the quite low side. On the top of my head, the standard is 3% (Theater Days), 3% Granblue (SSR) normally and 6% legfest, 3% FE Heroes (5* Focus, and another 3% for just 5*)

Due to that and the franchise not being as popular or otaku oriented as Fate is, I don't think this will stay up the charts too much.

Unless, say, the fans will support it from day one, and that there are a lot of them.

Zedark

Massive restock on amazon just registered on the ranking: many SKUs with Splatoon 2, but also many without a game, perhaps to facilitate the purchase of MHXX?

LordRaptor

/opposite world logic

Opposite world logic is where 3DS games cost more to produce than PS4 games because of Speedtree.

So yeh, Versus XIII alone didn't make SE bleed money but it was the combination of FFXIII, Crystal Tools and FFXIV so I don't see why you can just single out FFXV here.

I'm not singling it out - FFXIV is a subscription based title, and is therefore much easier to calculate projected incomes as literally subscribers * retention rate * time and the sunk cost of Crystal Tools as mentioned before is probably the biggest driving factor to adopting third party engines and increasingly multiplatform releases.

But I think it is fair to say that for the Square part of SquareEnix, Final Fantasy is their "crown jewels" franchise, and they have significantly more ambition for it than "covered costs day one".

I thought we were talking about the definition of milking. I wouldn't be surpried if Atlus indeed used milking to recoup P4's cost though. Atlus' last year financial report wasn't pretty, look at they are milking P5 now.

I find it unlikely that Atlus would need to milk P4 to recoup costs. Wasn't P4G their most successful game ever at the time? Why would they budget a game with the expectation that it will sell better than anything they've ever released? And then still fail to meet their sales expectations anyway? That seems like bad planning, to say the least.

More likely they realized Persona was their golden egg and they could easily leverage it to reduce risk for their less popular projects.

Sterok

Magia Record is indeed basically FGO wth a Madoka skin. Gameplay is similar with a few nice tweaks, and lots of story. Nice presentation with the Live2D models as well. I'd probably enjoy it long-term, but I'm already playing Grand Order, I didn't get anyone good, the character pool seems really small, and part of the appeal is story, which I can't read, so I dropped it. Feels like it has potential, but the franchise has been quiet for awhile, so I don't know how dedicated the fans will be.

Top Bottom