• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

yuoke

Banned
It's a Metroid title on 3DS. I doubt Nintendo has big expectations and with something close to half million they will be more than happy. But this time west must carry its sales and that didnt happen so far with this year's 3DS releases. Who knows, maybe there is some hype of it outside of internet.
If it only sells 500k...you can say goodbye to 2d metroid for another 10+years. Zero mission sold just under a million and shelfed the series. They don't obviously have major expectations...but there is a threshold point to where they wouldn't decide to make another new one.

sense

People in this thread care more about PS4 hardware sales in Japan than Sony. Meanwhile, Sony is happy it is getting all the relevant support from third party publishers and making up the hardware numbers elsewhere.

Sakura

IMO niche doesn't dictate it's small or otherwise, which are always relative, but "specialized". In this case specialized group is almost always a subset of a larger group.

Sony wanted Vita to sell as much as it can to be a mass market, but it failed. In its course, though, it found its specialization for indie games and otaku-centric/VN games. It's why publishers are confident in releasing Vita games in 2017 and 2018, because its specialized audience is receptive to these kind of games. It became a niche product not by design.

Eh, I disagree.
Yea it failed to gather the mass market it wanted. But it wasn't a niche product, and it wasn't a system that only had games for a specific market. For example Dragon Quest Builders is a game that came out on the system just last year, and sold more than any of the otaku centric games did/do/will.
Yes the games that are coming out for the system still in 2017/2018 are niche. But it is the games that are niche not the system itself. The PS2 was still getting VNs, dating sims, etc as well at the end of its life, but that doesn't mean it became a niche system. It's just that niche games happen to sell to their niche.

It's the same story with the PS4. Yes it isn't the most popular video game console to have hit Japan. But it isn't a niche product. It targets the whole gaming market with a wide variety of games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
People in this thread care more about PS4 hardware sales in Japan than Sony. .

How dare people posting in a Japanese sales thread devoted to hardware and software care about hardware sales!

random25

People in this thread care more about PS4 hardware sales in Japan than Sony. Meanwhile, Sony is happy it is getting all the relevant support from third party publishers and making up the hardware numbers elsewhere.

Japanese gaming sales thread, man.

You would be singing a different tune had the PS4 's fortune in Japan is better than this.

sense

How dare people posting in a Japanese sales thread devoted to hardware and software care about hardware sales!
The keyword is "more".... anyways it is a given PS4 isn't going to light the charts on fire like 3ds or switch so constantly harping on about how it is niche is not really doing anything but carry on if it makes you feel better. If Japanese publishers stop supporting the platform then hardware numbers come more into focus but that is not the case.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The keyword is "more".... anyways it is a given PS4 isn't going to light the charts on fire like 3ds or switch so constantly harping on about how it is niche is not really doing anything but carry on if it makes you feel better. If Japanese publishers stop supporting the platform then hardware numbers come more into focus but that is not the case.
It's important to note because of the state of the domestic market. If the PS4 domestic sales aren't great and it's domestic software sales aren't specular what do you think is going to happen to all those domestic focused titles?

Keeping in mind how many Japanese publishers have reacted to the switch and how they respond to Nintendo in general do you for see an expansion or a contraction in domestic focused games?

WestEgg

I imagine the Metroid Amiibo had a pretty good attach rate to first week adopters of the game. Even if the game doesn't break a million (I think it could after the holidays), that's a nice chunk of change for Nintendo by itself.

Also, it's probably worth them putting out the game just so we shut up about wanting Metroid for a while...

It's important to note because of the state of the domestic market. If the PS4 domestic sales aren't great and it's domestic software sales aren't specular what do you think is going to happen to all those domestic focused titles?

Keeping in mind how many Japanese publishers have reacted to the switch and how they respond to Nintendo in general do you for see an expansion or a contraction in domestic focused games?

Are they really that much domestic focused titles ?
I don't think there is any company in Japan that focus mostly there even with smaller games.
Even more so now with more and more Japanese games coming on PC.

If it only sells 500k...you can say goodbye to 2d metroid for another 10+years. Zero mission sold just under a million and shelfed the series. They don't obviously have major expectations...but there is a threshold point to where they wouldn't decide to make another new one.

Eh, they can port it to Switch and grow the sales whenever they want. And 500k isn't necessarily a bad number. It's a 3DS game and it certainly didn't have a huge development budget.

yuoke

Banned
Eh, they can port it to Switch and grow the sales whenever they want. And 500k isn't necessarily a bad number. It's a 3DS game and it certainly didn't have a huge development budget.
Not huge, but definitely enough to warrant a lot of marketing. 500k is just bad by 3ds standards, especially a new mainline metroid. That would be nearly half of what zero mission sold.

Not huge, but definitely enough to warrant a lot of marketing. 500k is just bad by 3ds standards, especially a new mainline metroid. That would be nearly half of what zero mission sold.

500k is pretty good for the 3DS at this point in time. If Nintendo wasn't going ro bother releasing its shiny new Metroid game on its shiny new system I can't imagine the expectations were very high given this is 3DS' 6th year on the market.

Toxi

Banned
It's a Metroid title on 3DS. I doubt Nintendo has big expectations and with something close to half million they will be more than happy. But this time west must carry its sales and that didnt happen so far with this year's 3DS releases. Who knows, maybe there is some hype of it outside of internet.
There are some things about Samus Returns that point to it being on a small budget. There's basically one tile set used for the entire game. Many of the minor musical pieces like the item collection jingle and the ship landing music are lifted directly from older games.

I hope it sells enough to be considered a success, because Samus Returns is really good and I feel like Mercury Steam and Nintendo could work some real magic on a totally new Metroid.

L~A

500k is pretty good for the 3DS at this point in time. If Nintendo wasn't going ro bother releasing its shiny new Metroid game on its shiny new system I can't imagine the expectations were very high given this is 3DS' 6th year on the market.

7th year ;)

#nitpicking

But yeah, I think Nintendo has moderate expectations for this game. Almost feels like a bone throw at rabbids fans after the FF "fiasco".

Metroid Prime 4, on the other hand...

It should be mentioned: There are some things about Samus Returns that point to it being on a small budget. There's basically one tile set used for the entire game. Many of the minor musical pieces like the item collection jingle and the ship landing music are lifted directly from older games.

I think the last bit is more due to them being really recognisable sound effects/jingles than the whole thing really being low budget. I mean, SE and music in general (when done in-house, and without any sort of real instruments involved) are far from costly.

Aters

What do you expect in Media Create Sales thread? Sales at "elsewhere"?

Good Switch hold, and solid legs on BOTW and Arms. Splatoon is a beast. I can't quite contextualize if this is good or not for Metroid.

Snakeyes

Hopefully Sony isn't just excepting the sales of the PS4 as "fine" as some here are suggesting and resigning to the "fate" of gaming in Japan but instead are trying to find a way to make their product appealing.
It's pretty clear that Sony currently has more interest in leveraging Japanese developers to increase the value of their consoles overseas than attempting to revitalize, or even stabilize the Japanese market. So far, we haven't seen much evidence to suggest otherwise.

sense

People must only discuss markets where the PS4 is doing great. Japan shall be forgotten.
Yea that is totally what I meant.....

I personally don't see that happening. With Sony aggressively expanding in Asia, PS4 will be hard to ignore for Japanese publishers. Switch will get the majority of titles for domestic market but unless they are involved, I don't see third parties making many exclusives for it

Square2015

Dragon Quest series famitsu historical: week 8
Code:
[U]	DQ1	 DQ2	  DQ3	      DQ4       DQ5	 DQ6	    DQ7	       DQ8	  DQ9	     DQ10     DQ11     
[/U]Week 1  ~80,000  ~440,000 ~1,370,000  159,000   684,000	 1,455,000  1,862,065  2,236,881  2,343,440  420,311  2,080,806
Week 2  ~80,000   ?	     ?	       81,000   685,000    449,000  1,072,286    559,524    602,856   70,352    426,189
Week 3	~17,000	  ?	     ?         81,000   477,000    308,000    329,317    200,033    271,206   45,470    188,250
Week 4	~17,000	  ?	   ~181,000    ?	?          134,500    154,797    116,731    172,728   20,616    154,130
Week 5    ?       ?        ~181,000    ?        178,000    134,500     83,918    118,119    106,514   13,616 	 53,251
Week 6    ?	  ?	    ~97,000    ?	178,000     80,154     64,351     95,879    121,139    9,560	 46,709
Week 7    ?       ?         ~97,000    ?	106,000	    51,881     43,717	  56,945     79,452    7,577	 34,652
Week 8    ?       ?          ?         ?         51,000     45,005     33,852     22,175     68,125    5,961     18,589

8 wk tot: ?       ?          ?	       ?	?        2,659,680  3,644,302  3,406,287  3,765,460  593,463  3,002,576

Nosgotham

the truth is you have no idea what their expectations, budget or profitability is with this game but you talk like what youre saying is unequivocal truth.

500k of a dead franchise , i think , would make them happy but i dunno. none of us do

The sales number of Metroid: Samus Returns will be a lot more interesting once we have a full year of Metroid Prime 4 sales. Then we know how the latest 2D and 3D Metroid compare. Nintendo will be satisfied with 500k for Samus Returns. It means $20M retail revenue. Cut a share and it'll still cover the development costs. This is a small project, so Nintendo didn't greenlit Samus Returns for the hard cash, but just to gauge fan interest. They'll compare Samus Returns sales with Metroid Prime 4 sales, and probably won't decide on what they'll do with either branch of the series until after that. But that's just my guess.

Yea that is totally what I meant.....

I mean if you're able to explain your original ridiculous comment I'm ready to hear it at least. It looked to me, and clearly several others, that you don't like it pointing out that there is a country where the PS4 hasn't sold really well... in the thread discussing video game sales about that specific country. Answers like "yea that's totally what I meant" don't help us understand any further.

Please shed light on the situation and enlighten us as to your point.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I mean if you're able to explain your original ridiculous comment I'm ready to hear it at least. It looked to me, and clearly several others, that you don't like it pointing out that there is a country where the PS4 hasn't sold really well... in the thread discussing video game sales about that specific country. Answers like "yea that's totally what I meant" don't help us understand any further.

Please shed light on the situation and enlighten us as to your point.

He said that PS4 japanese sales aren't that relevant in terms of third party support from Japanese software house, (that obviously in this moment could be the only relevant cmment about PS4 hw sales considering how he console is selling ww), because:

very few Japanese companies are greenlighting projects looking only at Japanese domestic software sales

PS4 is becoming relevant in te Asian market, with sales able to compensate the Japanese market contraction

You can isagree (and I will continue to comment Japanese sales also "per sé"), but he actually tried to explain his stance

He said that PS4 japanese sales aren't that relevant in terms of third party support from Japanese software house, (that obviously in this moment could be the only relevant cmment about PS4 hw sales considering how he console is selling ww), because:

very few Japanese companies are greenlighting projects looking only at Japanese domestic software sales

PS4 is becoming relevant in te Asian market, with sales able to compensate the Japanese market contraction

You can isagree (and I will continue to comment Japanese sales also "per sé"), but he actually tried to explain his stance

That is a reasonable point to raise, and starting off like that might have made for better discussion.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous to come into a thread about Japanese sales and throw shade at people for... caring about a console's sales in Japan.

And we all know that point anyway so it's not really an enlightening point of discussion anyway.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

There isn't a single 3DS game from Nintendo this year that will top 1m this year, except Pokemon, and there are many of them that have come or will come out. Nintendo knows 3DS is past its prime and has low expectations for software.

There isn't a single 3DS game from Nintendo this year that will top 1m this year, except Pokemon, and there are many of them that have come or will come out. Nintendo knows 3DS is past its prime and has low expectations for software.

That, and it's a Metroid game...in Japan. Just what were some of you expecting exactly?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendos main goal with those 3DS releases is to keep the hardware sales up since that's where they are making the money....it doesn't really matter much how well something like Metroid sells. It helps them market the 3DS and repairing some bridges to the audience prior to Prime 4.

A bad critical response would have been a issue for Metroid though.

Nintendos main goal with those 3DS releases is to keep the hardware sales up since that's where they are making the money....it doesn't really matter much how well something like Metroid sells. It helps them market the 3DS and repairing some bridges to the audience prior to Prime 4.

A bad critical response would have been a issue for Metroid though.

I think its more a case of keeping 3ds owners engaged until they get round to buying a switch, which for some may still be a couple of years off, they dont want a repeat of the wii to wii u transition

test_account

XP-39C²
domination of the killing off all relevant vita support for it, current price, library and the recent release of a major third party game.

I'm not seeing how next year will be much better than this. The announced games and generally lower profile and sparse for ghe notabls ones in comparison to this year. MH is the most notable game and the ps4 simply isn't all that affected by the large quantity of third party releases for it.
But its been at ~25k for a while now, why would it suddently jump to 30k minimum at this point in time? No major changes have happened to the PS4 in more recent time.

Vita hasnt had much relevant support (as in big selling titles) in quite a while now, so i wouldnt expect those to start moving a lot of PS4 hardware. Many of those games are also multiplatform (PS4/Vita), not PS4 exclusives. You also point out that those third party releases arent affecting the hardware sales that much. Would there be any reason to expect a noticeably jump in PS4 hardware sales at this point in time then?

I dont think that DQXI was expected to carry hardware sales at a larger scale for months, regardless of platform.

Its too early to talk about games coming out in 2018. In comparison, the only big title we know of coming to the Switch is Pokemon (if it doesnt get released in 2019), but i'm sure the Switch will have a great year hardware wise.

Mory Dunz

But its been at ~25k for a while now, why would it suddently jump to 30k minimum at this point in time? No major changes have happened to the PS4 in more recent time.

Vita hasnt had much relevant support (as in big selling titles) in quite a while now, so i wouldnt expect those to start moving a lot of PS4 hardware. Many of those games are also multiplatform (PS4/Vita), not PS4 exclusives. You also point out that those third party releases arent affecting the hardware sales that much. Would there be any reason to expect a noticeably jump in PS4 hardware sales at this point in time then?

I dont think that DQXI was expected to carry hardware sales at a larger scale for months, regardless of platform.

Its too early to talk about games coming out in 2018. In comparison, the only big title we know of coming to the Switch is Pokemon (if it doesnt get released in 2019), but i'm sure the Switch will have a great year hardware wise.

what constitutes big?
Kirby and FE could flirt with 400k-500k, but it may be too early in switch's life.

your point stands in any case

ggx2ac

Why are people so offended that the PS4 Xbox One is niche in Japan? That's literally what it is at the moment, it's a fact.

That doesn't make it a bad thing though.

If you want to make it sound bad, then call it a failure sales-wise, which it definitely is.

If you want to sound delusional, then call it a success, or say that its sales are fine compared to its predecessor.

Graben

Neo Member
I looked several times but I didn't see the normal graphs. Are the people who usually make them sick or out of town?

Not complaining just wondering as they are my favorite part of this thread.

casiopao

As huge as Sony is pushing for Asia market, Asia market is still just a drip of water compared to size of Japanese market.

Saying that japanese game companies does not depend on their domestic market is such a wrong statement.

vilmer_

How long before the playstation brand disappears and we can finally go back to playing games again? Those are horrible ps4 sales.

7th year ;)

#nitpicking

But yeah, I think Nintendo has moderate expectations for this game. Almost feels like a bone throw at rabbids fans after the FF "fiasco".

Metroid Prime 4, on the other hand...

3DS is 7 years old? Jfc where did the time go?

Aters

As huge as Sony is pushing for Asia market, Asia market is still just a drip of water compared to size of Japanese market.

Saying that japanese game companies does not depend on their domestic market is such a wrong statement.

Yakuza Kiwami shipped more than 200k in Asia. Big games like FFXV will have even bigger number. It's definitely not a drip of water.

ggx2ac

Does anyone know if there's any livestreams happening for TGS?

Gal Metal will be presented at 11:30am (JST) but it doesn't look like there's a livestream for it.

The DMM site only lists Livestreams for the public days of TGS.

And the Gal Metal page only has a countdown timer.

Aters

Does anyone know if there's any livestreams happening for TGS?

Gal Metal will be presented at 11:30am (JST) but it doesn't look like there's a livestream for it.

The DMM site only lists Livestreams for the public days of TGS.

And the Gal Metal page only has a countdown timer.

Left Alive have a stage event tonight, I think it will be streamed.

Top Bottom