• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

casiopao

Yakuza Kiwami shipped more than 200k in Asia. Big games like FFXV will have even bigger number. It's definitely not a drip of water.

And since then the number had fall like brick. Expanding to Asia market is not as easy as said lol.

You are literally going to face problem like economy difference as most SEA country is still plagued with pirate and how expensive a single new copy of the game.

Unless bundle, rarely a game will be able to do like 200k there.

As huge as Sony is pushing for Asia market, Asia market is still just a drip of water compared to size of Japanese market.

Saying that japanese game companies does not depend on their domestic market is such a wrong statement.

But that is the truth depending on the game .
Having good sales in Japan is great but that don't decide certain things for certain games.
FF is a big eg of this , same for the soul series and a lot of other big Japanese AAA games and some smaller games

ggx2ac

This is the presentation for Gal Metal and there's no livestream.

DKN3sinVAAADLRe.jpg

DKN3uGUVAAEPyZv.jpg

https://twitter.com/DMM_com/status/910703204836319232

Sonic forces live from tgs2017:

http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv306783415

e-Sports X live (SFV now):
http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv306482161

Famitsu live (babes now lol):
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv305499367

Official TGS 2017 live (global game business summit now, epic games, capcom, team 17 and others):
http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv305523512

Sega Atlus:
http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv305562531

koei tecmo and others:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/search/TGS2017?kind=content&track=nicouni_search_keyword

Malakai

3DS is 7 years old? Jfc where did the time go?

It is six years old (using the U.S. system of counting years which is basically a floor function) but it is in its seventh year on the market.

Using an Age Calculator the 3DS have been on the Japanese market for 6 years 6 months and 26 days. Or 2399 days on the market.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But its been at ~25k for a while now, why would it suddently jump to 30k minimum at this point in time? No major changes have happened to the PS4 in more recent time.

Vita hasnt had much relevant support (as in big selling titles) in quite a while now, so i wouldnt expect those to start moving a lot of PS4 hardware. Many of those games are also multiplatform (PS4/Vita), not PS4 exclusives. You also point out that those third party releases arent affecting the hardware sales that much. Would there be any reason to expect a noticeably jump in PS4 hardware sales at this point in time then?

I dont think that DQXI was expected to carry hardware sales at a larger scale for months, regardless of platform.

Its too early to talk about games coming out in 2018. In comparison, the only big title we know of coming to the Switch is Pokemon (if it doesnt get released in 2019), but i'm sure the Switch will have a great year hardware wise.
Yes and the PS4 was selling 10-20k for much of it's initial two years sometimes lower. Things change or in this case didn't. Difference between the ps4 and vita is that the vita lacked numerous high profile releases. What's the PS4's excuse

casiopao

But that is the truth depending on the game .
Having good sales in Japan is great but that don't decide certain things for certain games.
FF is a big eg of this , same for the soul series and a lot of other big Japanese AAA games and some smaller games

We are talking about Asia there. FF never depend on Asia market ever as most of the sales bulk comes from the West which is the same as Soul Series.

Hell. Except for Legends series by Falcom which is popular in China i cant remember any jp series which so popular in Asia.

Kyoufu

Yes and the PS4 was selling 10-20k for much of it's initial two years sometimes lower. Things change or in this case didn't. Difference between the ps4 and vita is that the vita lacked numerous high profile releases. What's the PS4's excuse

It's a home console.

We are talking about Asia there. FF never depend on Asia market ever as most of the sales bulk comes from the West which is the same as Soul Series.

Hell. Except for Legends series by Falcom which is popular in China i cant remember any jp series which so popular in Asia.
pokemon

Kyoufu

And the vita was a handheld. Didn't stop it from doing worse than the ps4.

You said it yourself, Vita lacked high profile releases.

PSP was resurrected thanks to Monster Hunter. Vita didn't have that, so it was doomed before it was even launched.

PSP was resurrected thanks to Monster Hunter. Vita didn't have that, so it was doomed before it was even launched.

Plus even not counting MH it had a good amount of games from big IP.
Even if there were spin off .

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That'a not the only thing vita lacked. There's a reason why Capcom ditched the vita in the first place? at it's current trajectory even with MH it was on course for a substantial decline (the 3DS propped it self up on the lost psp userbase). Which has been a substantial problem for both manufactures but it has hit the PlayStation ecosystem the hardest in Japan. Even in the best case scenario for the vita you were looking at ps4 level final ltd for it. The vita was never going to bring in new blood or would have just sucked more of the 3DS userbase.

Kyoufu

That'a not the only thing vita lacked. There's a reason why Capcom ditched the vita on the first place at it's current trajectory even with MH it was on course for a substantial decline (the 3DS propped it self up on the lost psp userbase). Which has been a substantial problem for both manufactures but it has hit the PlayStation ecosystem the hardest in Japan. Even in the best case scenario for the vita you were looking at ps4 level final ltd for it.

I'm glad we agree.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm glad we agree.
Good my greater and ordinary point is why is the PlayStation ecosystem capped around or below 10 million ltd and mediocre software sales Considering it's previous brand strength. You either have to look at market factors or internal weakness within the region. Either way it's not a good thing unless someone wants the domestic industry to did off.

Kyoufu

Good my greater and ordinary point is why is the PlayStation ecosystem capped around or below 10 million ltd and mediocre software sales Considering it's previous brand strength. You either have to look at market factors or internal weakness within the region. Either way it's not a good thing unless someone wants the domestic industry to did off.

It's capped because Sony IPs are near worthless in Japan. Mario, Pokemon and the rest of Nintendo's IP stable are huge in Japan and have been since forever, whereas Sony's IPs now are really only relevant overseas.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's capped because Sony IPs are near worthless in Japan. Mario, Pokemon and the rest of Nintendo's IP stable are huge in Japan and have been since forever, whereas Sony's IPs now are really only relevant overseas.
Sony had been doing just fine until this point without that.

Aters

PS and PS2 won in Japan by a fairly wide margin, mainly thanks to 3rd party games. What happened? Why Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, and all the 3rd party games stop selling in Japan?

PS and PS2 won in Japan by a fairly wide margin, mainly thanks to 3rd party games. What happened? Why Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, and all the 3rd party games stop selling in Japan?

I mean we all know that the amount of retail games significantly declined on the PS2->PS3 transition right? And the hardware prices for Sony consoles have been compartively high. With the DS and 3DS a lot of the line between decidedly handheld and decidedly console also split. These systems were taking resources and were providing competition against the Sony ecosystem.

I mean really the last few Sony systens have just not been massively appealing from the onset with high price and lacking fresh software early in the life.

Kyoufu

The last time they had a million seller internally was Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 back in 2004. 13 years ago! Since then, their best selling release from an internal studio is Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 at 730k. That's a decline for the Gran Turismo IP, with its most recent entry doing 376k on the same system. GT Sport will probably continue the decline.

And it's not just their 1st party IPs that have declined but also 3rd party IPs like Final Fantasy which Sony heavily relied on (and still does) is way down too. I don't call that fine to be honest, at least not compared to Nintendo.

D.Lo

It's broadly caused by the east/west schism that started when Microsoft got in the game.

Everything relevant from the Famicom up to the PS2 was a Japanese console first and foremost, with strengthening western presence as well, especially on N64/PS1/PS2 where British development in particular (Rare, Eidos, DMA/Rockstar) started to be among the top of the heap alongside the original Japanese giants. EA and Activision increased in importance too.

But the Xbox was a conduit to get the whole western (primarily American and mainland european) PC development environment on consoles, and 360 and PS3 continued in its wake - Sony chased Microsoft down that path, and both spent billions to make it happen assumedly to assist with their dreams of using games to become America's TVPC of choice. And as a result with that generation Japan lost its grip on the market. Sony is no longer making 'Japanese' consoles, PS4 is designed with the west in mind first and foremost.

Other social factors have obviously assisted in Japan becoming a handheld-first territory (well eventually mobile, then handheld). But losing their hegemony on console design primarily for the domestic market hurts too. Nintendo's last two consoles were 'more' Japanese, but both were underpowered, the Wii got few meaningful big Japanese games and died quickly, and the Wii U was pure insanity in console form.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The last time they had a million seller internally was Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 back in 2004. 13 years ago! Since then, their best selling release from an internal studio is Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 at 730k. That's a decline for the Gran Turismo IP, with its most recent entry doing 376k on the same system. GT Sport will probably continue the decline.

And it's not just their 1st party IPs that have declined but also 3rd party IPs like Final Fantasy which Sony heavily relied on (and still does) is way down too. I don't call that fine to be honest, at least not compared to Nintendo.

I'vs never really linked the success of sony consoles to their first party catalogue. Seems more like the catalogue benefits from the bigg hardware sales rather do much in meaningfully contributing to it.

Nintendo is the opposite really. I think like got pointed out the price earliest catalogue and appeal of 3rd party software are the biggest contributors.

But it's not these are some built in laws switch makes it obvious all you need is a few truly appealing games and hardware to sell well. This isn't some impossible goal to achieve. Challenging sure but far from impossible. Biggest problem is obvious Sony doesn't care about the domestic market it's gotten almost everything it wants and even if it tried best case scenario would be a 10 million extra sold which can be picked up else where in the world. This is obviously not a good thing for the domestic industry however.

D.Lo

Third party though. Nintendo biggest IP is a differnt kind of beast.
Pokemon is not third party. Nintendo publishes the games and owns all rights to the trademarks. It's a complicated arrangement but for all intents and purposes Pokemon is closer to first party than third party.

Pokemon is not third party. Nintendo publishes the games and owns all rights to the trademarks. It's a complicated arrangement but for all intents and purposes Pokemon is closer to first party than third party.
he said he was talking about third parties IPs,not Nintendo's series which are already famous in lots of asian countries

D.Lo

he said he was talking about third parties IPs,not Nintendo's series which are already famous in lots of asian countries
I'm not really following, but fair enough.

China is super weird. I went there a couple of years ago and they had Mario happy meal toys at McDonalds, and toy shops had Mario figures and dolls... yet Nintendo doesn't even sell any products there. (I wrote about it here if interested).

So it's like their IP has strong penetration even when they don't even exist in the country.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's broadly caused by the east/west schism that started when Microsoft got in the game.

Everything relevant from the Famicom up to the PS2 was a Japanese console first and foremost, with strengthening western presence as well, especially on N64/PS1/PS2 where British development in particular (Rare, Eidos, DMA/Rockstar) started to be among the top of the heap alongside the original Japanese giants. EA and Activision increased in importance too.

But the Xbox was a conduit to get the whole western (primarily American and mainland european) PC development environment on consoles, and 360 and PS3 continued in its wake - Sony chased Microsoft down that path, and both spent billions to make it happen assumedly to assist with their dreams of using games to become America's TVPC of choice. And as a result with that generation Japan lost its grip on the market. Sony is no longer making 'Japanese' consoles, PS4 is designed with the west in mind first and foremost.

Other social factors have obviously assisted in Japan becoming a handheld-first territory (well eventually mobile, then handheld). But losing their hegemony on console design primarily for the domestic market hurts too. Nintendo's last two consoles were 'more' Japanese, but both were underpowered, the Wii got few meaningful big Japanese games and died quickly, and the Wii U was pure insanity in console form.
I can agree with this. Japanese publishers are chasing that paradigm (the western one) to a greater extent which can explain much of their lack of interest in supporting the switch.

The biggest thing now however is that since Playstation and Nintendo are doing so well they will likely not get a better chance to fight for dominance while maintaining the domestic market. They don't have to abandon one to chase the other.

Frankly way too many Japanese publishers have betted on the domestic markets quick death.

What does Nintendo have in the pipeline that is the same caliber as Mario, Splatoon, Zelda, and Pokemon in the pipeline for the Switch in the next few years? Is Animal Crossing considered a system seller in Japan?

I'm genuinely curious what they have in store and Pokemon is probably enough for 2018 or 2019 or whatever year it comes out in. Oh yeah there is also Smash. I wonder how they will handle the lessons learned with the Wii, where it pretty much cratered in its fourth and fifth year. There is always the third party wildcard, of course but lets just assume those don't show up except for DQ and Nintendo has to carry the console again. Although if FFXV, KHIII and FFVIIR hits the Switch, those might be enough.

D.Lo

I can agree with this. Japanese publishers are chasing that paradigm (the western one) to a greater extent which can explain much of their lack of interest in supporting the switch.

The biggest thing now however is that since Playstation and Nintendo are doing so well they will likely not get a better chance to fight for dominance while maintaining the domestic market. They don't have to abandon one to chase the other.

Frankly way too many Japanese publishers have betted on the domestic markets quick death.
The Switch is literally Nintendo's solution to the schism. Merging Japanese and western preferences as much as possible. It's a UE4 compatible Wii+PSP+3DS.

Of course it's also a solution to their 20 year struggle of supporting two platforms basically all alone, which started when they dropped focus off the N64 to launch Pokemon worldwide, and hit hardest when they had to drop the Wii to launch the 3DS.

Mory Dunz

What does Nintendo have in the pipeline that is the same caliber as Mario, Splatoon, Zelda, and Pokemon in the pipeline for the Switch in the next few years? Is Animal Crossing considered a system seller in Japan?

....we don't know. Nothing has been announced.

if you want a list of the general biggest IPs in Japan that may appear on a Nintendo platform (or Nintendo owns themselves), you can look it up.

hint: AC is one of them.

edit:
This wasn't intended to be snarky, if it comes off that way. We just don't know the lineup.
In terms of first party games that can sell or have sold close to 1 million recently: AC, Luigi's Mansion, Smash, Pokemon, 2D Mario, some Zelda Remakes, Kirby, Fire Emblem (maybe a stretch) , Donkey Kong, etc

I can agree with this. Japanese publishers are chasing th st paradigm to greater extent which can explain much of their lack of interest in supporting the switch.

If Japanese companies want to make games for the domestic market they go should mobile or switch but that less than mobile.
At this point if you are making a home console game the domestic is at most 50% of your plan depending on IP.
Truth is the Japanese market have a whole bunch of problems for Sony that they can't fixed so it no longer a major thing for them.

Avabel Online, a mobile MMORPG (there are MMO on mobile now ?) is being ported to Steam, PS4 and Switch : http://nintendoeverything.com/avabel-online-heading-to-switch/
It's interesting, I don't know how popular the game is but we're seeing more and more mobile games being ported over Switch (or consoles in general, in this case).
I've only heard about the game that one time bri bri posted on twitter about the switch giving away event from them

vern

China is super weird. I went there a couple of years ago and they had Mario happy meal toys at McDonalds, and toy shops had Mario figures and dolls... yet Nintendo doesn't even sell any products there. (I wrote about it here if interested).

So it's like their IP has strong penetration even when they don't even exist in the country.

Everyone in China knows who and what Mario is, you are right about that. I even noticed a boutique shop the other day in one of the main high end shopping strips with a bunch of Nintendo branded merchandise. Nintendo IP is well known and even loved here. With their turn to mobile they are only gonna get bigger in China too.

Nintendo doesnt sell Switch or 3DS here officially, but every electronic mall has Nintendo consoles and games avaiable. It's not like just because they aren't officially sold that they don't exist. I mentioned in the last MC thread I believe that I've seen 2 people in Shanghai streets playing Switch, and I know a handful of people in China with Switches. My entire friends list is made up of people in China. (Mostly from China-GAF though to be honest)

fortunato

Banned

I'm genuinely curious what they have in store and Pokemon is probably enough for 2018 or 2019 or whatever year it comes out in. Oh yeah there is also Smash. I wonder how they will handle the lessons learned with the Wii, where it pretty much cratered in its fourth and fifth year. There is always the third party wildcard, of course but lets just assume those don't show up except for DQ and Nintendo has to carry the console again. Although if FFXV, KHIII and FFVIIR hits the Switch, those might be enough.

Animal Crossing is a system seller. Just look at New Leaf on 3DS during 2012 holidays. It is also the best-selling 3DS game, with more than 5m units sold (one of the few IPs that is selling comparably to the previous entry on DS).

Nintendo also has Fire Emblem, which is a 500k IP. Being a tRPG, it might be able to attract new buyers (though not in the long-run). Kirby is also a best-seller game (600-700k units) though its appeal can be limited by the older audience.

vareon

Nintendo's IP (particularly Mario and Pokemon) reaches far beyond its consoles. In Indonesia there are Mario Happy Meals, Uniqlo's Nintendo products, bootleg stuffs and all that, yet Indonesia isn't even recognized as a country in Nintendo's region setting lol.

Top Bottom