• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2011 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

duckroll

walking fiend said:
if the price drops, it will, its price didn't drop for the last week.

Why would the price drop? That doesn't make any sense. The sell-through is strong, there is no overstock.

duckroll said:
Why would the price drop? That doesn't make any sense. The sell-through is strong, there is no overstock.
I didn't say it should get clearance price, but it's not selling at the premium price any more and is currently available at 25% dropped price, a bit lower than normal pricing, for the last week though, mostly it wasn't available at this price.

StickSoldier said:
3DS still almost had 60k, which is still pretty damn good for no really high profile game coming out. I'm ready to see how the 3DS does with the pink and Mario.

Yeah, for comparison, NDS did 43k (year aligned) and 36k (launch aligned, unless I cocked up the start points) in the equivalent time period. We're not near the point where Nintendo unlocked God Mode for the DS, though.

noobie

Banned
walking fiend said:
I didn't say it should get clearance price, but it's not selling at the premium price any more and is currently available at 25% dropped price, a bit lower than normal pricing, for the last week though, mostly it wasn't available at this price.

so i believe it will be between 10 - 15k next week and after that below 10k.. and thats it.. by the end of the year with some year end lift it might reach 400k

Extremely front-loaded sales for Dark Souls; while it was expected for Ico/SOTC collection, it being a remake, I wasn't expecting a 88% drop for Dark Souls :(

Jomjom

Banned
walking fiend said:
mostly because boldness of Iwata, I really wonder if any other CEO in his place would have taken such drastic actions in just a few months after the launch, and ironically everyone was dooming Nintendo based on stock market: it shows lack of confidence, Nintendo has panicked, Nintendo this, Nintendo that... And he was supposed to be on the eject sit, yeah, right.

Sold units wise 3DS is definitely on it's way to success. But in a way it isn't really success on Nintendo's terms. Even in console generations where they were perceived to have failed, like the Gamecube, they were selling hardware for profit, which is one of the things Nintendo fans will always tout. Now they are selling the 3DS at pretty much break even, maybe a slight profit or perhaps even a minor loss, and will have to make money based on software. That's more the strategy of Sony and MS, which Nintendo has been loath to employ in the past.

Laguna

Banned
jling84 said:
Sold units wise 3DS is definitely on it's way to success. But in a way it isn't really success on Nintendo's terms. Even in console generations where they were perceived to have failed, like the Gamecube, they were selling hardware for profit, which is one of the things Nintendo fans will always tout. Now they are selling the 3DS at pretty much break even, maybe a slight profit or perhaps even a minor loss, and will have to make money based on software. That's more the strategy of Sony and MS, which Nintendo has been loath to employ in the past.

You are right but I guess that this way, they´ll get more royaltys from 3rd parties and the bigger userbase this early in the gen will help selling their 1st party software to even things out.

Jomjom

Banned
Laguna said:
You are right but I guess that this way, they´ll get more royaltys from 3rd parties and the bigger userbase this early in the gen will help selling their 1st party software to even things out.

Yup they will definitely be counting on royalties and 1st party software for profits with the 3DS, something that was always bonus for them in the past because just the profits from the hardware alone would keep them in the black.

test_account

XP-39C²
The_lascar said:
Because it's a Wii game.
Hehe, well, there must be another reason? I mean, both PS3 and Wii had pretty much the same factors when the games were released, the console userbases were fairly big, it was the first exclusive Tales game on the systems, both games had the same price (i think). The only thing i can think of is that Graces were received much poorer in reviews etc. for some reason.

jling84 said:
DS also didn't make much profit, as Iwata stated. Regardless, 3DS is a product that is going to be around for at least 6 years, from the looks of the things, and Nintendo has never been about short-term profit.

m.i.s.

Banned
walking fiend said:
DS also didn't make much profit, as Iwata stated.

If you're going to make assertions such as this, you need to provide a link. Why would any CEO state that a product their company sells doesn't provide much profit?

walking fiend said:
Regardless, 3DS is a product that is going to be around for at least 6 years, from the looks of the things, and Nintendo has never been about short-term profit.

You have no knowledge whatsoever (nor do I) of how long the 3DS will remain on the market. GBA only had a shelf life of 4 years before being replaced by the DS (and was quickly EOL'd rapidly) despite selling 80 million in those 4 years. And the market is much more volatile now than it was then.

test_account said:
Hehe, well, there must be another reason? I mean, both PS3 and Wii had pretty much the same factors when the games were released, the console userbases were fairly big, it was the first exclusive Tales game on the systems, both games had the same price (i think). The only thing i can think of is that Graces were received much poorer in reviews etc. for some reason.

I think Xilia sold better because it was out at the right time, with the PS3 being more popular during the last months

good sales for the 3DS, still holding up surprisingly well

Hardware profits is just a drop in the bucket for Nintendo, its software sales and royalties that really rake in the cash. Long term software profits and better third parties relationships totally trumps short term loss from hardware sales.

HWRfU.png

but didn't they say they had more pre-orders?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The_lascar said:
Because it's a Wii game.

And came out exactly one week after NSMBWii. And was plagued with bugs. And all hype at the time was surrounding FFXIII, which came out a few days later.

test_account said:

The first Tales game on the Wii (the Symphonia sequel) was a pretty strong disappointment. The game was more like a side story or a cheap spinoff, cutting out many things that Tales fans expect from the games (like ditching the overworld). So there was a sour taste when an actual full game in the series came out.

Road

Augemitbutter said:
http://i.imgur.com/HWRfU.png

but didn't they say they had more pre-orders?
They talked about orders from retailers, not pre-orders from consumers.

They were planning to ship 200k copies initially. We don't know if that happened.

BurntPork

Banned
BishopLamont said:
No more doom posts from BurntPork for investors to read.
3DS will drop 5k this week and another 5k next week.

Then it'll shoot up to 80-100k the week after that thanks to Misty Pink.

M.I.S. said:
If you're going to make assertions such as this, you need to provide a link. Why would any CEO state that a product their company sells doesn't provide much profit?
The same reason he told us they are making loss on each 3DS? Actually, he revealed both in the same sentence, comparing 3DS profit to the initial low profit of DS, though more drastic.

You have no knowledge whatsoever (nor do I) of how long the 3DS will remain on the market. GBA only had a shelf life of 4 years before being replaced by the DS (and was quickly EOL'd rapidly) despite selling 80 million in those 4 years. And the market is much more volatile now than it was then.
That's why I said:
from the looks of the things
Which means I expect a normal life cycle.

Development of new hardware and all the marketing associated with the branding, software development, relationship building, services, licenses, etc is so much now that it forces long life cycles.

Nintendo's main competitors are Vita and Smartphones. I can't imagine Sony having financial capabilities of coming out with a new handheld anytime soon, and Nintendo's stance against smartphones is mostly a very strategic one that is centred around software and software pricing, rather than the hardware. So it may shorten somewhat, or linger a bit more, but it won't change drastically.

Of course they are all analysis and speculation, Nintendo may come up with a Nintendo Phone the next week, but that won't be something expected.

Road said:
They talked about orders from retailers, not pre-orders from consumers.

They were planning to ship 200k copies initially. We don't know if that happened.

you're right, totally forgot about that.

m.i.s.

Banned
walking fiend said:
The same reason he told us they are making loss on each 3DS? Actually, he revealed both in the same sentence, comparing 3DS profit to the initial low profit of DS, though more drastic.

Then why not provide the link?

from the looks of the things is meaningless when you consider what a positive reception the 3DS received and how industry observers stated it was poised to break all records. Current indications suggest that the 3DS is being well received in Japan (was there any doubt it would recover in handheld land?) but that it's fortunes in other regions still hang in the balance.

BurntPork

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Only 5k? You're getting soft. :p
Sorry, I meant 50k. It'll have negative sales next week.

M.I.S. said:

from the looks of the things is meaningless when you consider what a positive reception the 3DS received and how industry observers stated it was poised to break all records. Current indications suggest that the 3DS is being well received in Japan (was there any doubt it would recover in handheld land) but that it's fortunes in other regions still hang in the balance.
Yes. Yes there was.

M.I.S. said:

Because my connection speed is terrible, and there are lots of news that I should search to find it. If you really need it, I may find it, or someone else may know where it is.

edit: K, I managed to find it here:
(someone should thank me for going through all their text 0_0)
Iwata said:
You have mentioned that the handheld gaming system business is always remunerative, but I think, for example, that there was not much margin when we set the price of the first Nintendo DS at 15,000 yen. It is true that the situation for the Nintendo 3DS (after the markdown) will be more challenging, but it is not true that all our past handheld gaming systems always had large margins. However, the cost-cutting effect of the mass production can be quite large. Manufacturing costs of the Nintendo DS decreased by volume efficiency from a certain point in time and the system rapidly spread around the world. As a result, the hardware itself was able to generate some profit. Therefore, it is not true that the overall handheld gaming business becomes balanced in a circumstance where generating some profit from handheld hardware sales and generating less profit from the software sales in comparison with software sales of home console business. Rather, please think in a way that the profitability becomes larger when a business starts to run well and a number of the hardware units sell. When the platform gains momentum and both hardware and software start to sell well, the manufacturing costs for hardware will be lower. Also, for software, most of the costs come from its development and marketing, so the profitability changes by how many units can write off the costs. When software is launched and sells steadily and for long time, which is often called an unexpected smash hit, the efficiency will improve drastically. Therefore, it is very important from the business perspective, whether we can provide such products or not.

---
from the looks of the things is meaningless when you consider what a positive reception the 3DS received and how industry observers stated it was poised to break all records. Current indications suggest that the 3DS is being well received in Japan (was there any doubt it would recover in handheld land?) but that it's fortunes in other regions still hang in the balance.

No, it is not, there was a lot of speculation about its fate in Japan, PSP taking over 3DS by Septeber? 3DS was getting games delayed and cancelled right and left, because of 'low sales'; now it is getting game right and left, because 'the looks of the things'.

About other regions, as I said, it is facing a strategic software competition, which is not hardware dependent, and Nintendo doesn't need to discontinue the 3DS is order to start making $1 mario games, if they ever decide to do so. And, although Japan seems to be only one region, one must not forget that handhelds get most of their software support from Japan, so winning Japan has an impact much more than the software revenue inside of the Japan.

M3d10n

BurntPork said:
Speaking of Nintendo's stock, it actually went up a bit today. What rumor was there today?
There was no iPhone 5 with a 3D screen.

(Apple's stock was actually down because the iPhone 4S "only" upgrades the internals).

donny2112

test_account said:
Hehe, well, there must be another reason?

Around Graces/FFXIII's launch, Bebpo theorized that Tales series was a follow-on to Final Fantasy, so that Tales on the Final Fantasy system would do better than Tales on the non-Final Fantasy system.

Even through FFIII remake sold 1m on NDS last gen, I think most would agree that PSP was the stronger "Final Fantasy" system with Crisis Core (FFVII prequel) and Dissidia (Final Fantasy fanservice fighter) on it, and Tales did pretty decently there. On consoles, there's no question that PS3 is the Final Fantasy system of those out there, so if Bebpo's thinking has weight in reality, it follows that Tales would naturally do better on the PS3.

That'd be one possible other reason, at least.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The difference between DS and 3DS for this week is very big.
And there's even a new color coming this month.

Dolgan

distantmantra said:
Some of those people already bought Graces on the Wii?

Graces combined (Wii + PS3) sold less than Xillia. As for the reason, maybe because Xillia had more hype resulting in (way) more first week sales. Mabye things would look different if we knew used sales?

Edit: What Donny said sounds plausible. Someone (Charlequine?) had once a theory about core and umbrella games. Meaning a Final Fantasy brings many RPG players to buy your system and thus creates an environment where RPG may thrive. I thinks that's a good explanation.

Takao

Banned
Chris1964 said:
I don't think this was mentioned somewhere, Rocket reconfirmed Medarot and Runabout for 2012.

I mentioned both in my Medabots 3DS Faith Restored thread, but that was early this morning.

Takao

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Search didn't work for this. I used "Medarots".

Ah, it's actually "Medarot" in Japan, and "Medabots" elsewhere. Though, searching for "Medabots" likely will just net you a bunch of posts from me, lol.

Dragon

Banned
marc^o^ said:

In fairness the author is talking about Nintendo not specifically the 3DS, at least from what I've skimmed. And the Wii continues to flounder in Japan. Getting outsold 2:1 week after week by another console is PS3-level Gamecube horribleness.

BurntPork

Banned
marc^o^ said:
1313440823492.png

Fuck this shit.

TheBranca18 said:
In fairness the author is talking about Nintendo not specifically the 3DS, at least from what I've skimmed. And the Wii continues to flounder in Japan. Getting outsold 2:1 week after week by another console is PS3-level Gamecube horribleness.
That's because Nintendo gave up on it. If they were, you know, actually making games for it, it would be selling better. It could use a price cut too. Either way, that's not a sign of "doom and gloom" at all.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The author of this article uses the stock market to explain why Nintendo is doomed in the face of competition from Sony, etc.
He mentions a -50% decline YTD. It's actually -44%... vs -40% for Sony Corp. This 4% difference surely makes one company doomed, but not the other.
:p

TheBranca18 said:
Not really, because that's only in Japan, and even in Japan this unbalanced sale could continue for at least another 5-6 years, and Wii will still be ahead of PS3 in terms of total sales. WW, PS3 and 360 should sell 14 million more than Wii, and it'll take them another 5 years to reach 2:1.

Not to mention his analysis in practice means nothing. Yes, both Kinect and Move mimic Wii, but Move haven't sold at all, and Kinect isn't moving software; even in the UK which 360 has its second strong presence, Zumba on Wii is outselling Kinect version by more than 10:1.

Top Bottom