• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2011 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

mdtauk

A Black Falcon said:
Now, the GBC might be a bigger upgrade tech-specs wise than the DSi is (I believe the GBC's CPU is twice as fast as the GB's, for example), but still, the DSi isn't the exact same inside as the DS, apart from the removal of the GBA cart slot and the added downloadable games that is.

The GBC tech upgrade is absolutely identical to the DSi.

GBC = double the CPU speed of the original GB and 4X the RAM
DSi = double the CPU speed of the original DS (ARM 9 was doubled, ARM 7 is the same though) and 4X the RAM

Both consoles also had the same cartridge release structure. You have your original GB/DS cartridges that work on all machines, you have hybrid carts that take advantage of some of the GBC/DSi's capabilities and then you have GBC/DSi exclusive games that take full advantage of the hardware.

Both consoles also had a set of gimmicks that seperated it from their original counterparts (GBC = Colour + InfraRed) (DSi = Camera + SD Card slot + DSiWare)

They're a perfect match for each other. Their lifespans are even almost identical (GBC = 1998-2000, DSi = 2009-2011)

Kenka

Mpl90 said:
60k in a week after one with two Holidays is meh, now?
EDIT: ...Are you trolling, right? XD
BishopLamont said:
You couldn't be anymore wrong. Good effort.
Hey guys, I was just saying that it was meh regarding to the stuff I wrote about its possibility to catch up with NDS' 2005 numbers in the last weeks. Do you even look at the name of the poster you quote ? Meh.

Chris1964 said:
http://i.imgur.com/rp8PP.png
:O
Looks I was actually kinda trolling :x

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Kenka said:
Hey guys, I was just saying that it was meh regarding to the stuff I wrote about its possibility to catch up with NDS' 2005 numbers in the last weeks. Do you even look at the name of the poster you quote ? Meh.

:O
Looks I was actually kinda trolling :x

DS did 43k in the 2005 corresponding week.

Mpl90

Sadist said:
Oh my @ MH Tri G 3DS bundle

They are pulling out the big guns.

Now I'm fully expecting Level 5 announcing an IEGo bundle at their vision event. :lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What day is the firmware update in Japan? I wonder if Nintendo will advertise the new 3D video recording feature during launch of the new color/bundles.

What a way to enter its first holiday season, 3DS is enjoying one of the best Nintendo execution I've seen (months after suffering from the worst one).

cvxfreak said:
Why the hell is the Wii still ¥20,000?
And why only Wiimotes are getting new colors?!

Maybe they are readying themselves for this holiday? It seems to be their strategy, as there are some important games being released by then as well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Magicpaint said:
Like how the PSP was dead when the DS had that epic Christmas in 2005 right? Some of you can't see the forest for the trees eh?

It was dead back than.
A comeback like the PSP/Monster Hunter situation isnt something you should or could expect for every other handheld released. It could happen for sure....but there is no guarentee.

Road

qq more said:
Wow. Any Media Creates/Famitsu threads about that?
Trackers didn't come close to that number because there weren't 980k consoles available (and also probably because many of them were ordered online). Famitsu's estimates for the launch week of the PS2 were 630,552 consoles sold to consumers.

Sony Corp said it sold 980,000 PlayStation 2 video-game consoles in the three days since the product debuted in Japan, falling short of its expectations by 20,000 units because of component shortages.

Sony said it sold out its supply of 600,000 units at retail outlets throughout Japan and took orders for another 380,000 consoles through its Web site. The Tokyo-based company said Internet shipments have lagged sales, with 120,000 units delivered so far and the remainder to be shipped in the next two weeks.
http://www.zdnetasia.com/sony-sold-980000-playstation-2-consoles-in-3-days-13026293.htm

cw_sasuke said:
It was dead back than.
A comeback like the PSP/Monster Hunter situation isnt something you should or could expect for every other handheld released. It could happen for sure....but there is no guarentee.

The PSP sales were never bad, so is just some bullshit talking.

AniHawk

qq more said:
Wow. Any Media Creates/Famitsu threads about that?

no threads i know of. it was launch week, so some time in march 2000. all i know from that week was that the ps2 sold 980k and the n64 had some new color, might've been the pikachu model, and wound up selling 20k.

AniHawk

Magicpaint said:
Like how the PSP was dead when the DS had that epic Christmas in 2005 right? Some of you can't see the forest for the trees eh?

to be fair the psp was mostly dead for a while, but miracle max brought it back in 2007 or so.

PdotMichael said:
Software sales was always lack luster as a whole, nothing is set in stone but Vita's foreseeable future isn't looking very good and until games that come out that can sell the system at the level of MH did, its going to perform just as the PSP did, good, but underwhelming. There isn't that huge power gap where third parties were basically forced to move on to the PSP from the DS this time around.

cw_sasuke

PdotMichael said:
This is BS - when you're competitor is outsellin your console 10:1 and there are no PSP game to be found in the top 30 - your sales bad.

Kenka

Celine said:
Vita è così morta.
Nice one. :)

Also, PSP sales never did deep below 15'000 in a normal week, right ? So technically, it quite never was dead
hardware-wise

Kenka said:
No, hey I still remember your bashing.
The answer is : no, I would not say the Wii sales have been dead.
What bashing? I wasn't the only one calling you out on your post.

Wii sales have actually been more dead than the PSP was back then, its always sold at a baseline of 20k-30k at the minimum. In reality, they have both been relatively dead if you take into account that Japan is handheld land now. Only difference is the that the PSP is still heavily supported software wise, which keeps it trucking. Nintendo is the sole Wii carrier for awhile now.

Celine

PdotMichael said:
Argh seems I can't find the PSP yearly revenue chart.
That would show that PSP business were shrinking around 2007/2008 just before MH exploded on the platform.
After witnessing that I'm sure publishers allocated resources to develop more games for PSP that saw the light a couple of years later.

cw_sasuke

BurntPork said:
How about two million in a month?

And Nintendo is trying to stillborn Vita, I fucking swear. They need to stop. At this rate, they'll have nothing left for next year.

Theyll have enough for 2012 ;-)

cw_sasuke

BurntPork said:
I mean games and such. It's looking like they have next to nothing for after Q1, which will bring its momentum to a screeching halt.

Why would they already have to announce games which are coming after theeir holiday titles ? Thats not how it works, but even so there have already man games lined up the 1Q. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection will be their next year - just as DQ Monsters, Bravely Default, Level 5 titles and so on.

cw_sasuke said:
Why would they already have to announce games which are coming after theeir holiday titles ? Thats not how it works, but even so there have already man games lined up the 1Q. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection will be their next year - just as DQ Monsters, Bravely Default, Level 5 titles and so on.

Also Resident Evil, Monster Hunter 4, Luigi's Mansion 2, Heroes of Ruin and Tekken.

BurntPork said:
I mean games and such. It's looking like they have next to nothing for after Q1, which will bring its momentum to a screeching halt.
They have plenty for 2012, Q1/Q2 is looking good already.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
AniHawk said:
no threads i know of. it was launch week, so some time in march 2000. all i know from that week was that the ps2 sold 980k and the n64 had some new color, might've been the pikachu model, and wound up selling 20k.
This number is the initial shipment which also includes the online preorders/sales.

BurntPork

Banned
BishopLamont said:
They have plenty for 2012, Q1/Q2 is looking good already.
But what about Q3? this can't possibly keep up forever.

... Then again, at this point they could go Q3 with no releases at all and it wouldn't hurt them all that much...

They need releases in the west! We only have two notable games this holiday. Y U only fight Vita in Japan Nintendo?

Takao

Banned
AceBandage said:
Also Resident Evil, Monster Hunter 4, Luigi's Mansion 2, Heroes of Ruin and Tekken.

I don't think Monster Hunter 4 is coming out any time soon. That game could potentially be 2013 material.

I also question how large Tekken, and Heroes of Ruin will be. The Tekken games on PSP were of no real importance, and Heroes of Ruin is a Western game through and through.

BurntPork said:
They need releases in the west! We only have two notable games this holiday. Y U only fight Vita in Japan Nintendo?

Because it has no competition this holiday season in the US? The Vita will be released early 2012 in the west.

BurntPork said:

... Then again, at this point they could go Q3 with no releases at all and it wouldn't hurt them all that much...

We have E3 between now and Q3...
If you think that nothing is getting announced before then then you are truly crazy.

Takao said:
I don't think Monster Hunter 4 is coming out any time soon. That game could potentially be 2013 material.

Didn't they say they're working on a 2012 release?

qq more

BurntPork said:
To be fair, summer is usually the time of the year when there's a gaming drought, with some exceptions I think!

BurntPork said:

Games will be announced next year too..or do you think no games are going to be announced from now on? :/

All they need in the west is their first party games, and they seem to be doing just that, albiet at a slower pace than one would like, but thats the nature of localisation and stuff.

Takao said:
I have no clue, but I'd be willing to say they'll be straining the franchise if they go from 2010> MH Poka Poka Ailu, MH Portable 3rd to 2011> MH Poka Poka Ailu G, MH Portable 3rd HD, MH Tri G to another year of big releases. While MH4 looked very different from those other games, I still feel like that's a tonne of content to fall under one brand in such a short amount of time.
MH4 for holiday 2012 seems to be a pretty safe bet, MH is pretty big now that yearly releases are possible, especially if you consider that the 3DS/Nintendo fanbase has never really been exposed to MH to this degree.

Takao

Banned
AceBandage said:

I have no clue, but I'd be willing to say they'll be straining the franchise if they go from 2010> MH Poka Poka Ailu, MH Portable 3rd to 2011> MH Poka Poka Ailu G, MH Portable 3rd HD, MH Tri G to another year of big releases. While MH4 looked very different from those other games, I still feel like that's a tonne of content to fall under one brand in such a short amount of time.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
We have E3 between now and Q3...
If you think that nothing is getting announced before then then you are truly crazy.

I know but... it's probably not that much.........

Why is Nintendo going at this so hard? It's too much. And this third-party support is suspicious. Half of the 3DS titles will probably be ported to Vita.

BurntPork said:

Why is Nintendo going at this so hard? It's too much. And this third-party support is suspicious. Half of the 3DS titles will probably be ported to Vita.
Yup, you're crazy...

Mpl90

BurntPork said:

...And here's the BurntPork all we learned to appreciate and love!

cw_sasuke

I expect MH4 for spring 2013 WiiU/3DS.
Next year we will probably have a Poka Poka title for 3DS and Tri G should keep on sellin in 2012.

Takao

Banned
BishopLamont said:
MH4 for holiday 2012 seems to be a pretty safe bet, MH is pretty big now that yearly releases are possible, especially if you consider that the 3DS/Nintendo fanbase has never really been exposed to MH to this degree.

Has there ever been a yearly franchise that hasn't experienced some sort of sustained decline? I'm a fan of a series that once was one of the largest third party franchises on GameBoy, but evaporated in to nothing over a few years due to annual releases. This year will be the first for MH decline, since I doubt TriG can outdo P3rd just due to userbases.

Celine said:
Argh seems I can't find the PSP yearly revenue chart.
That would show that PSP business were shrinking around 2007/2008 just before MH exploded on the platform.
After witnessing that I'm sure publishers allocated resources to develop more games for PSP that saw the light a couple of years later.

Twas 2006/2007 PSP sales dropped. Average about 36k a month. Even with those numbers, it never was as bad as the Wiis worst. The PSP worse year (excluding launch of course) has the numbers at 1.8 million. Last years the wii was around 1.7 and the sales this year look even lower than that.

Top Bottom