• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With the success of Madoka, Sony is now solidly the #1 mobile company in Japan.

septembermobilew5pnl.png

septembermobilepublisooqmq.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did they even need Forwardworks? It sounds like this is all thanks to Aniplex.

ForwardWorks is a total bust so far. It exists because presumably the PlayStation division felt dumb ignoring this part of the market, especially now that they're no longer making handheld games.

ggx2ac

ForwardWorks is a total bust so far. It exists because presumably the PlayStation division felt dumb ignoring this part of the market, especially now that they're no longer making handheld games.

I guess it will be no surprise when they close down Forwardworks much like how fast they gave up on the Vita.

Sandfox

What the hell is a saber.
I don't know anything about Fate.
One of the main heroines of Fate series and one of the most popular female anime characters in Japan. The series reuses her design a lot for different characters and the original pretty much gets the Miku treatment in terms of costumes and merchandise.

Sandfox

No wonder the doujin is still coming out in rapid pace.O_O

Many Mami fans huh.^_^

Don't get ahead of yourself.

I looked up the game just now and the first thing I saw is that the main character basically looks exactly like Madoka but with see through clothes.

EDarkness

If it works like the Bic lotteries, number of people in line means nothing. Registration for a number is open for 1-2 hours and you come back later that day to see if you won. So everyone who gets a number is not in line at any one point.

I know how that works. It's how I got my first iPhone at Bic. Just thinking that it's possible people didn't even know they were doing lotteries in the first place. Didn't people say there wouldn't be anymore lotteries for the NS or Super Famicom mini?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Madoka success is one of the most surprising for me.O_O I mean, the anime have ended for how long there? It seems the fans still stays alive for the series.
The big spenders for mobile are in their 30s and 40s. They're not necessarily concerned with what's popular today.

I'm pretty sure Sony has nothing to do with 白猫/Rune Story. Is this a typo, or am I mistaken?
They distribute it in Taiwan or something I believe.

Laplasakos

Really? You example of growth is Forza Horizon? You could combine all Forza Horizon games and it wouldn't touch a single mainline Gran Turismo. As of February FH3 was at 2.5m sold, being the highest selling racing game of this generation. The lowest mainline Gran Turismo had 5 million sales.

Forza never managed to touch any mainline GT sales, we'll see if this will change with GTS.

And yes, you were wrong about the Yamauchi comments.

Forza Horizon 1 and 2 has sold more than 2m. The last known number for FH3 is 2.5m and that was some time ago. FH has probably sold more than GT6 right now so what you say it's false (that all Horizon games combined sold less than a mainline GT game).

Aside that, why my example shouldn't be Forza Horizon? The third one has done really well in sales and the fact that only known number for FM5 is 1.3m and FH3 is 2.5m there is definitely a growth in the franchise. I never said that Forza was bigger than GT if you look at my previous posts but Forza has grown since GT6 and there is no point denying it.

Last, no i wasn't wrong with Yamauchi. This is his latest statement as of August 2017. I post it again but in case you missed it.

Yamauchi: No plans for Gran Turismo 7 now
https://www.finder.com.au/gran-turismo-7-plan

If Sport was really 7 he wouldn't say that and he would say that Sport is really 7 so they will never release a game called GT7. It's true that at some point he said that in his mind Sport could be GT7 but when Sport was revealed back he said it’s not 7. The PR on that front has been nothing but confusing. Maybe he was trying to save some face for the game considering the response wasn't so great every time they released new footage. The fact is though that based on his last comments, Sport is not 7. We have even comment from Sony's Europe boss (the biggest market for GT) that Sport is not 7.

Is it a bust?

Right now they have 2 releases, Mingolf and SoraUmi.

Anecdotally speaking Mingolf is in the top 50-70 ranking range in grossers, aka the realm of mediocrity where dozens other 'successful enough to keep a service going on' games are at.It's not an amazing spot, but it's a spot that many publishers consider mid-tier mobile efforts to be financially profitable, looking at stuff like Valkyria Anatomia and half of Bamco's mobile games.

I agree that SoraUmi so far looks to be a bust.

Personally so far I'd give ForwardWorks like a 6/10.

Mingolf imo, did about as well as can be expected of its game model, and SoraUmi has fallen flat period. But the mobile space is all about churning out games and releases consistently to find either a stable of mediocre, successful games, or finding that hit behemoth like Fate/Granblue/Monster Strike/PazuDora.

PantsuJo

Last, no i wasn't wrong with Yamauchi. This is his latest statement as of August 2017. I posted again but in case you missed it.

Yamauchi: No plans for Gran Turismo 7 now
https://www.finder.com.au/gran-turismo-7-plan

If Sport was really 7 he wouldn't say that and he would say that Sport is really 7 so they will never release a game called GT7. It's true that at some point he said that in his mind Sport could be GT7 but when Sport was revealed back he said it’s not 7. The PR on that front has been nothing but confusing. Maybe he was trying to save some face for the game considering the response wasn't so great every time they released new footage. The fact is though that based on his last comments, Sport is not 7. We have even comment from Sony's Europe boss (the biggest market for GT) that Sport is not 7.
And this is why I still hope for a new, proper GT with a full single player campaign.
I hope the wait won't be eternal... :/

casiopao

Don't get ahead of yourself.

I looked up the game just now and the first thing I saw is that the main character basically looks exactly like Madoka but with see through clothes.

Well...... i mean what do u expect from fanservice gacha game lol.^_^

The big spenders for mobile are in their 30s and 40s. They're not necessarily concerned with what's popular

I know that but it is still quite surprising lol.

Actually, seeing this mobile game being successful targeting older demographic, i wonder why no one tries making Legend of Galactic Heroes gacha game lol. The fans of the series is crazy dedicated toward the franchise. Properly made gacha mobage should bring huge money for the game.

Is it a bust?

Anecdotally speaking Mingolf is in the top 50-70 ranking range in grossers, aka the realm of mediocrity where dozens other 'successful enough to keep a service going on' games are at.It's not an amazing spot, but it's a spot that many publishers consider mid-tier mobile efforts to be financially profitable, looking at stuff like Valkyria Anatomia and half of Bamco's mobile games.

Mingolf imo, did about as well as can be expected of its game model, and SoraUmi has fallen flat period. But the mobile space is all about churning out games and releases consistently to find either a stable of mediocre, successful games, or finding that hit behemoth like Fate/Granblue/Monster Strike/PazuDora.

When you are comparing Minna no Golf with Valkyrie Profile Ip, u know MnG is not doing well. MnG as an Ip is much much bigger vs Valkyrie series so being on that spot for me is a bust.

Edit: Also, i checked on app annie. Minna no Golf is not even top 100 right now actually.

Laplasakos

And this is why I still hope for a new, proper GT with a full single player campaign.
I hope the wait won't be eternal... :/

I think it depends on how Sport does. If the game sells more than 10m units i could totally see them releasing Sport 2 in the future with all the mainline features. If it sells similar to GT6, then the next one will probably be GT7.

When you are comparing Minna no Golf with Valkyrie Profile Ip, u know MnG is not doing well. MnG as an Ip is much much bigger vs Valkyrie series so being on that spot for me is a bust.

Since you're on appannie list, I'm pretty sure you could list like a dozen IPs more popular than MnG that also sticks around in the mid-tier space like Naruto. =P

All I'm saying is that games in that grossing range have been around, with no signs of those games being shut-down, so I assume that the publishers consider them at least profitable to maintain, even if they're not cashcows.

Edit: Also, i checked on app annie. Minna no Golf is not even top 100 right now actually.

I can't remember when I last checked it last month, but the range for Mingol then fluctuates from 50-80 on a monthly basis for the last two months. I have not seen Oct data though.

Thanks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is it a bust?

Oh, the last time I looked at Hotshots it was at like 400 or so, but that might have just been some kind of reporting error.

50-70 is totally fine. It's down around 120 currently.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
GEO ranking: Week 41, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 015)

01./00. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of War <RPG> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.10.12} (¥7.800)
02./00. [PS4] Lost Sphear <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.10.12} (¥5.800)
03./01. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.10.05} (¥4.980)
04./02. [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥7.800)
05./00. [NSW] Lost Sphear <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.10.12} (¥5.800)
06./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
07./03. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800)
08./05. [PS4] Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2017.10.05} (¥7.980)
09./07. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami) {2017.09.14} (¥7.600)
10./08. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (¥5.980)

Top 10

PS4 - 5
NSW - 4
3DS - 1

casiopao

Since you're on appannie list, I'm pretty sure you could list like a dozen IPs more popular than MnG that also sticks around in the mid-tier space like Naruto. =P

All I'm saying is that games in that grossing range have been around, with no signs of those games being shut-down, so I assume that the publishers consider them at least profitable to maintain, even if they're not cashcows.

I would argue it is a different comparison with anime based game like Naruto, one piece or bleach.

Why? Because Naruto,Sao and other anime based mobage usually had more than one title there which spread its userbase. Like, Naruto had 2 mobile title running right now, SAO also had 2 while One Piece had 3. All those apps will spread the users around. (HELL, gundam had 7 different game apps lol)

On MnG, reading some jp fans review, they mentioned that the game is pale compared to usual release on dedicated system and there is not much content to keep playing.

This complain problem means that the devs is not doing well to make the game successful enough there.

Naruto really only has one big mobile game where all the userbase centres on. Same with Bleach. If Hot Shots is hanging with those big IPs then thats impressive.

Ok, let's say it's a big exclusive. How well do you think this spinoff is gonna sell exactly?
When the racing genre kept getting smaller over the years, when people have plenty of other "sims" to choose and when its sales numbers keep declining.
Most first party AAAs are evergreen btw, not sure how it is supposed to be impressive that GT5 still sold copies when all its close competitors sell years later as well...

GTS is not a spin off.

How the MHW preordered compare to both DQXI in the same time frame?

MHW-104.jpg

FH1 - 1M
FH2 - 1.5M
FH3 - 3M (at least) and still selling

These are guestimates of course, but I am absolutely not convinced that all FHs combined "wouldn't touch a single mainline Gran Turismo".

Don't know about the validity of those numbers but thats still below the worst selling GT: GT6 with 5.9 million.

which doesn't mean anything. Bad number is bad number. Other bad numbers won't make it good.

Besides missing the point that GT clearly appeals to people outside the racing genre, no one would declare 6 million a bad number. Quite the opposite. Neither is the 2 million smaller sims sell tbh.

casiopao

Naruto really only has one big mobile game where all the userbase centres on. Same with Bleach. If Hot Shots is hanging with those big IPs then thats impressive.

Bleach popularity had drop hard that it is not even achievement to stand close to them. And currently, MnG is not even close to any of those Ip as MnG had fallen from top 100+

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

Gran Turismo 6 - 5.170.000

EDIT

Yeah they did. Although they could also wait to update them along their site.

Oops must of misremembered.

Bleach popularity had drop hard that it is not even achievement to stand close to them. And currently, MnG is not even close to any of those Ip as MnG had fallen from top 100+

Same can't be said for Naruto though which is still massive. Currently sure. The other guy said 50-70 though.

Hanging with Bleach is impressive? The franchise isn't relevant for years already and Brave Souls isn't a big game in Japan.

Not sure about Naruto, but I thought only shounen with big mobile games there were Dragon Ball with Dokkan Battle and One Piece with Treasure Cruise.

Datschge

With the success of Madoka, Sony is now solidly the #1 mobile company in Japan.
Should really be clarified as Sony Music Entertainment.
Sony Interactive Entertainment (aka PlayStation), which is doing ForwardWorks, is still essentially irrelevant in all markets.

sense

Should really be clarified as Sony Music Entertainment.
Sony Interactive Entertainment (aka PlayStation), which is doing ForwardWorks, is still essentially irrelevant in all markets.
The comment doesn’t say either. It says Sony, I don’t even understand why people go out of their way to make this distinction lol.

WestEgg

Looking like another week where Switch supply is around 40K, going to fall a bit more behind 3DS launch aligned.

I have to imagine Mario is going to give it a huge shot in the arm, which should help it close the gap before holiday sales really start in.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I have to imagine Mario is going to give it a huge shot in the arm, which should help it close the gap before holiday sales really start in.

3DS holiday sales in 2011 were just insane though. I doubt Nintendo can push that amount of supply.

ggx2ac

This is driven by Fate/Grand Order, the #1 top grossing mobile game in the world right now, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story: Magia Record, which to my understanding is like Fate/Grand Order, but for Madoka.

Also, these are games published by Sony's Aniplex division, and should not be confused with their Sony Interactive Entertainment's PlayStation driver ForwardWorks division, which is doing poorly.

casiopao

Hanging with Bleach is impressive? The franchise isn't relevant for years already and Brave Souls isn't a big game in Japan.

Not sure about Naruto, but I thought only shounen with big mobile games there were Dragon Ball with Dokkan Battle and One Piece with Treasure Cruise.

Don't forget SAO is big bro.^_^ And Idolmaster is also killing the chart right now.^_^

Top Bottom