• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 15)

Fdkn

Whilst that's technically correct(the best kind of correct), it's implied by the fact MCV directly mention Switch preceding that quote... and also by the fact that they're not making Switch games.

Only if you ignore this

"When the time came for us to move from PC to console development

that means, sometime in 2005 and onwards until the recent years

and this

" so there's definitely a big opportunity there for new platforms as well."

but well, it's MC thread after all, every 3rd party is stupid, hot takes galore

Oregano

Only if you ignore this

and this

The context of the quote is "Kondo added he currently views the Nintendo Switch in the same way:". It was likely in response to MCV questioning them about the Switch. It's not just talking about 2005.

That's not even a lukewarm take.

Fdkn

The context of the quote is "Kondo added he currently views the Nintendo Switch in the same way:". It was likely in response to MCV questioning them about the Switch. It's not just talking about 2005.

That's not even a lukewarm take.

god forbid Kondo for adding context to the decision making by the company in the last decade instead of making a one phrase statement "Switch is cool, tune in for future news!" like some other execs have done.

smh

MoonFrog

Makes more sense then. Would make more sense still if it were just that their technology base translated to PSP better than DS. Don't think the games sell on graphics and effects, personally.

Nyoro SF

So we're back to the point Kondo was making on the article: they didn't make games for DS and 3DS because they were not powerful enough for the games they wanted to make.

He didn't say anything about Switch lacking power.

Thanks for stepping in while I was out.
The responses were predictable though. :p

I've mentioned it a bit before, announcing a game without giving platforms seems pretty terrible in terms of marketing and tricking consumers.

I'd get it if they were still deciding on a platform like Yokai Watch (which seemed to be PS3 bound?) but eh.

Oregano

god forbid Kondo for adding context to the decision making by the company in the last decade instead of making a one phrase statement "Switch is cool, tune in for future news!" like some other execs have done.

smh

But that's not even the sentiment he expresses. For one thing he doesn't even address any kind of difference in Switch compared to past Nintendo platforms, the implication is that they'll continue to follow their current release strategy(which is kind of obvious).

Fdkn

But that's not even the sentiment he expresses. For one thing he doesn't even address any kind of difference in Switch compared to past Nintendo platforms, the implication is that they'll continue to follow their current release strategy(which is kind of obvious).

You're again ignoring the last paragraph, that states exactly the oposite: they are open to evaluate new platforms to achieve balance.

If you wanted a simply yes or no, bad luck I guess.

Mr Swine

Banned
Very impressed that Switch has sold 1/3 of what PS4 has sold in roughly 6 months. It should be near half at the end of the year if Nintendo can get it’s stock issues fixed?

Where did you come up with that conclusion? I've never said anything about Lost Sphear being successful or anything. I'm just posting numbers on how good (or bad) the sales are on both the PS4 and the Switch, and which one fared better (or less bad). There's nothing to justify and I think everyone can agree that Lost Sphear flopped hard.

Seems like your conclusion is even more useless than the attach rate.

Alright, simmer down haha.

I apologise for coming across as rude as I did in the post. I didn't mean to, I just typed it in a bit of a hurry and didn't have chance to edit it much.

My point is just that... I don't understand the attach rate thing at all. Like, I don't even understand why it gets brought up as I have no idea what can be concluded from it at all.

It only ever happens when consoles are new on the market, because that's why you get skewed attach ratios because there's less hardware. And it's nearly always done with software which sells to an inconsequential amount of people that doesn't really rely on large hardware numbers.

Let me provide an example for what I know (which is Vita, because that's the console I've most closely followed the sales of for the past five years).

Ys Memories of Celceta released in 2012 and sold 42,146 FW on a hardware of 994,162. Which is an attach ratio of 4.24%.

Ys Lacrimosa of Dana release in 2016 and sold 43,753 FW on a hardware of 5,099,108. Which is an attach ratio of 0.87%.

Does that mean Memories of Celceta was 4.87 times more successful than Lacrimosa of Dana because it sold to a higher percentage of the console's userbase? Of course not.

So what conclusions can we draw from attach ratios?

That games which flopped when hardware numbers are lower would be more successful when hardware numbers are higher? No, because software sales for niche games don't sell in a linear manner like that.

That Switch is a better software environment for certain types of titles than PS4 is and vice versa? That conclusion can be drawn by just looking at the actual number of software sales; attach ratio tells us nothing extra.

That a game (in this case Lost Sphear) bombed on PS4 but bombed less on Switch? I mean, you've answered that one yourself. Square aren't gonna look at those numbers and think "ahh well, at least it sold more decently on Switch relative to its userbase!" It bombed everywhere.

(I mean, think of an example of Monster Hunter. Imagine if MonHun something released Vita and somehow managed to sell ~ 1.5m copies giving it a > 25% attach rate; but on 3DS it would have sold ~ 4m copies giving it a < 20 % attach rate, Capcom aren't going to look at that and be happy).

Hence why I pointed this whole thing out. Again, I apologise if it came off as an attack on you, I've just homed in on your post since it's the most recent on the subject. After 6+ years of browsing Japanese sales threads across various places and seeing attach ratios brought up again and again and again, I just don't get it at all. And I vented all that in my previous post.

Laplasakos

I don't think the PS4 and Switch versions of DQX were released on the same day.

Right, the PS4 version got released a month earlier. Still, i don't think we shouldn't compare the two versions for this reason. It's unlikely that the Switch version would have sold more if it was released on the same day with the PS4 version.

Switch expansion pack sales compared to PS4 next month should disabuse you of this line of argument soon enough.

I don't think there is an argument here? I am just posting the numbers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Vena

Right, the PS4 version got released a month earlier. Still, i don't think we shouldn't compare the two versions for this reason. It's unlikely that the Switch version would have sold more if it was released on the same day with the PS4 version.

I don't think there is an argument here? I am just posting the numbers. Nothing more, nothing less.

These numbers don't make sense for DQX, period, because one version was potentially free. This was brought up when this pointless comparison was made the first time.

Alright, simmer down haha.

I apologise for coming across as rude as I did in the post. I didn't mean to, I just typed it in a bit of a hurry and didn't have chance to edit it much.

My point is just that... I don't understand the attach rate thing at all. Like, I don't even understand why it gets brought up as I have no idea what can be concluded from it at all.

It only ever happens when consoles are new on the market, because that's why you get skewed attach ratios because there's less hardware. And it's nearly always done with software which sells to an inconsequential amount of people that doesn't really rely on large hardware numbers.

Let me provide an example for what I know (which is Vita, because that's the console I've most closely followed the sales of for the past five years).

Ys Memories of Celceta released in 2012 and sold 42,146 FW on a hardware of 994,162. Which is an attach ratio of 4.24%.

Ys Lacrimosa of Dana release in 2016 and sold 43,753 FW on a hardware of 5,099,108. Which is an attach ratio of 0.87%.

Does that mean Memories of Celceta was 4.24 times more successful than Lacrimosa of Dana because it sold to a higher percentage of the console's userbase? Of course not.

So what conclusions can we draw from attach ratios?

That games which flopped when hardware numbers are lower would be more successful when hardware numbers are higher? No, because software sales for niche games don't sell in a linear manner like that.

That Switch is a better software environment for certain types of titles than PS4 is and vice versa? That conclusion can be drawn by just looking at the actual number of software sales; attach ratio tells us nothing extra.

That a game (in this case Lost Sphear) bombed on PS4 but bombed less on Switch? I mean, you've answered that one yourself. Square aren't gonna look at those numbers and think "ahh well, at least it sold more decently on Switch relative to its userbase!" It bombed everywhere.

(I mean, think of an example of Monster Hunter. Imagine if MonHun something released on that console and somehow managed to sell ~ 1.5m copies giving it a > 25% attach rate; but on 3DS it would have sold ~ 4m copies giving it a < 20 % attach rate, Capcom aren't going to look at that and be happy).

Hence why I pointed this whole thing out. Again, I apologise if it came off as an attack on you, I've just homed in on your post since it's the most recent on the subject. After 6+ years of browsing Japanese sales threads across various places and seeing attach ratios brought up again and again and again, I just don't get it at all. And I vented all that in my previous post.
Good post Kresnik. Totally agreed.

These numbers don't make sense for DQX, period, because one version was potentially free. This was brought up when this pointless comparison was made the first time.

Don't worry. Version 4 will release simultaneously on Switch and PS4 in November. Or isn't that a fair comparison because it'll be on PC and Wii U too? lol

Laplasakos

Do you know how many people did the free upgrade? Have they shared any data/numbers?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, to be fair, Kondo answers make little sense in that article. First, he states that they are a Japanese focused company, therefore their lack of support for XB1 is obvious. However, later he adds:

However, I want to point that out we're always paying attention to the market particularly in terms of the foreign market, so if the Xbox was to have a sudden rise in the west, we'd obviously be open to considering it in that situation

I'm lost here. XB1 is a strong console in the west. Which kind of sudden rise he could be referring too? The article gets more cryptic after that.

Kondo added he currently views the Nintendo Switch in the same way.
In the same way as the XB1? That doesn't compute. Unlike the XB1, the Switch is no a non-entity in Japan. How is he looking at the same way? The Switch needs a sudden rise in the west to get Falcon support?

He ends by stating:

However, balance is very important, too, and thinking carefully about when something should come out is important, too, so there's definitely a big opportunity there for new platforms as well.
That literally means nothing.

I'm not saying that Kondo is BSing btw. I just think the article is badly written.

Oregano

You're again ignoring the last paragraph, that states exactly the oposite: they are open to evaluate new platforms to achieve balance.

That's meaningless PR fluff, what is balance even meant to mean?

Damn! Nothing seems to sell over there besides Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart.

Poor M&L and Lost Sphear.
Metroid did bad too.
?
Zelda is showing fantastic legs for the series.
Monster Hunter is showing tiny legs.
Xenoverse 2 is showing legs and that stock situation was cleared weeks ago.
1 2 Switch and ARMS are selling still.

You're not reading the article wrong, but neither is he--as usual when journalists paraphrase, you can't know if they faithfully paraphrased what the guy was saying or not. If he did, then I agree with Oregano. The key phrase is "Kondo added he currently views the Nintendo Switch in the same way," referring to a platform that they do not support but might support if there is a rise in interest. The last paragraph would just be the usual PR response, "it's an interesting platform, blablabla, we will support it if the audience is there."

But if the journalist didn't paraphrase Kondo's words faithfully enough, then, indeed, there is nothing in what Kondo does say in the article that indicates he is referring to the Switch when talking about hardware power.

So, no need to be condescending to others. They're just assuming the journalist did his job properly.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Only if you ignore this

and this

Everytime someone point a out what he said in the interview You say they ignore something, after they then point out that he said this in relation to that,you said they ignored another thing, despite the fact that the CEO keeps contradicting himself

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
My guess is that, if Falcom want to stay strictly by Sony side as they did when they re-entered the console market by transitioning from Sony handhelds to Sony's PS4, they absolutely need to expand abroad (Asia) and need to develop multiplatform for PC too (digital).
There is a serious risk their future games for PS4 will sell less than what they achieved on PSP and PSV and Sony handheld line is pretty much dead now.

Most likely Falcom hasn't bothered to acquire a Switch develepment kit yet. They have a lot of work to do if they intent to go PS4 only, niche Japanese games are even harder to find an expanded market in Asia.

Celine

Do you know how many people did the free upgrade? Have they shared any data/numbers?
Do we need those numbers though?
We know that DQX (Wii) total shipment in Japan was 700K.
After that the Wii expansion pack released in December 2013 did about 145K and matched the WiiU version.
In April 2015 the second Wii expansion pack sold about 105K.
A big chunk of DQX users through time came from Wii, it's the reason why SquareEnix is trying to entice them to transitioning from Wii to Switch by offering them a "free" Switch version (it's free because DQX monetize from the monthly subscription fees and by selling the new expansion pack next November).

MTC100

Banned
VeAoYHZ.png

Splatoon 2 is just insane, the sky is the limit...

-sadly the other titles besides Mario Kart and Zelda are very low on the graph.

yeah, who cares about what the devs themselves want to make, go Nintendo or bust.

I mean they can do what they want, but you are only hurting yourself if you don’t try to expand.

I mean going only PS4 and removing Vita showed a decrease in sales. From a long term view point it does not look good imo. Maybe expanding to Asia will help?

Famitsu Sales: Week 42, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 15)

NSW 1.884.235

2 weeks and 2 million, 35 weeks.

2-Million-registered-users.gif

Wii U: 105 weeks.

3DS: 33 weeks.

Wii: 19 weeks.

DS: 18 weeks.

GC: 69 weeks.

GBA: 13 weeks.

GBC: 43 weeks.

N64: 91 weeks.

PS4: 95 weeks.

PSV: 100 weeks.

PS3: 73 weeks.

PSP: 48 weeks.

PS2: 17 weeks.

PSX: 67 weeks.

Switch is 6th.

1 - GBA: 13 weeks.
2 - PS2: 17 weeks.
3 - DS: 18 weeks.
4 - Wii: 19 weeks.
5 - 3DS: 33 weeks.
6 - NSW: 35 weeks.

Mory Dunz

Maybe it's good if PS4 and Switch don't share too many games, if Falcom makes this kind of ruckus lol.

I doubt Switch would be a sure seller for those games in Japan given the cultivated base on PS...

After that the Wii expansion pack released in December 2013 did about 145K and matched the WiiU version.
A big chunk of DQX users through time came from Wii, it's the reason why SquareEnix is trying to entice them to transitioning from Wii to Switch by offering them a "free" Switch version (it's free because DQX monetize from the monthly subscription fees and by selling the new expansion pack next November).

wasn't he the one who needed specific numbers to know if Sonic Mania is doing well on Switch...?

Laplasakos

Why not? It would be interesting to know. People are saying that we shouldn't mind that retail number for the Switch version (9k+) since there is the free upgrade, i think it's only fair to know a number before jumping to conclusions.

wasn't he the one who needed specific numbers to know if Sonic Mania is doing well on Switch...?

Yeah and? Is it forbidden to ask, assuming the numbers have been shared? I was legit curious. We are in a thread about sales after all.

Why not? It would be interesting to know. Since people are saying that we shouldn't mind that retail number for the Switch version (9k+) since there is the free upgrade, i think it's only fair to know a number before jumping to conclusions.

Yeah and? Is it forbidden to ask, assuming the numbers have been shared? I was legit curious. We are in a thread about sales after all.
Don't think any numbers have been shared for Mania.
It's probably safe to assume that the Switch version is doing at least "well" in comparison to other ports.

EDarkness

Why not? It would be interesting to know. People are saying that we shouldn't mind that retail number for the Switch version (9k+) since there is the free upgrade, i think it's only fair to know a number before jumping to conclusions.

Since it's a free upgrade for Wii owners, it would be hard for us to get that data unless Square Enix gives it to us directly. The game was doing quite well on the NS Japanese eShop at one point. I haven't looked in a few days so I'm not sure it still is.

KtSlime

There are probably a number of people holding off on upgrading too, since they are having a free Wii User Appreciation month before they shut down service.

Fdkn: What if it was the other way around? Say a developer exclusively was making Nintendo games, and sales were declining due to Nintendo's hardware strategy. Would you champion that developer's freedom to develop on whatever hardware they wish, or would you find it weird they didn't switch to PlayStation where they could increase their chances at success?

CGiRanger

Banned
Yikes. Fire Emblem Warriors' mediocre performance kind of makes me worried about Xenoblade 2

I mean, yeah the games are not at all the same or alike. But I feel they've a similar "look and feel" about them in a sense on a surface/marketing level.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Fire Emblem I believe is a more popular and known IP than Xenoblade. and while Warriors isn't a typical FE game, it doesn't seem like just being released on the Switch has helped it any.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

That's my point- we will know in a month. I expect Switch version to outsell PS4 version rather easily.

Nyoro SF

There are probably a number of people holding off on upgrading too, since they are having a free Wii User Appreciation month before they shut down service.

Fdkn: What if it was the other way around? Say a developer exclusively was making Nintendo games, and sales were declining due to Nintendo's hardware strategy. Would you champion that developer's freedom to develop on whatever hardware they wish, or would you find it weird they didn't switch to PlayStation where they could increase their chances at success?

This fictional hypothetical past is way too simple to account for all the past variables, and can be boiled down to "why aren't Falcom developing games for the Switch right now?"

EDarkness

Yikes. Fire Emblem Warriors' mediocre performance kind of makes me worried about Xenoblade 2

I mean, yeah the games are not at all the same or alike. But I feel they've a similar "look and feel" about them in a sense on a surface/marketing level.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Fire Emblem I believe is a more popular and known IP than Xenoblade. and while Warriors isn't a typical FE game, it doesn't seem like just being released on the Switch has helped it any.

I wonder when we'll start having this discussion about certain types of games not selling on the NS? I feel like it's hiding there just underneath the surface....

Fire Emblem Warriors isn't a core Fire Emblem title, it's a spinoff with Warriors gameplay, which is about as radical a departure as you can get from Turn-based Strategy. They also ignored over half the games in the series while making a fan service game. As a Fire Emblem fan who enjoyed Hyrule Warriors I'm picking it up, but for the general Fire Emblem fan I honestly don't see a reason to buy it unless you like Warriors games.

I don't think this will have any bearing on how Xenoblade 2 performs. Completely different genres.

Relax, I don't think it's indicative at all. Nintendo will promote Xenoblade 2 more as it's made in-house. FEW also is the first "Fire Emblem" title (a spin off) in a new platform with less than 2M units sold and following several Musou games releases in the last years (they are even releasing more 3 already for Switch). KT seems happy with the result too, so it wasn't meant to be a huge title like Zelda at all.

I strongly believe Xeno 2 will sell more than XC and X.

Mory Dunz

Weren't Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade X's sales pretty similar in Japan?
And Zelda is a lot bigger than FE.

I'm not saying Xeno will do the same.as FEW or whatever.

I'm saying the genre (in this case musou) and game itself seems to override general brand popularity, so you can't make conclusions like that even with FE being way bigger than Xeno

Strange comparison really. They're totally different games, in different genres appealing to a different fan base. I'm not sure what you mean by their marketing looking or feeling similar but I don't get that at all. Also Xeno 2 is releasing at he height of the holiday period which will likely be huge.

The popularity of fire emblem is irrelevant. This wasn't a fire emblem game.

Xeno 2 may sell awfully but there is literally no reason to draw parallels to FEW. It's as arbitrary of a comparison as you can get.

Xenoblade and Warriors are obviously nothing alike. Not even in the slightest.

Regarding sales: FE Warriors will have most if its sales in the West, just like Hyrule Warriors, which made Hyrule Warriors one of the most successful Musou games of all time.

I was going to say that FE Heroes is more popular in the west too, but it seems somehow the game got a good bump in Japan recently?

KtSlime

This fictional hypothetical past is way too simple to account for all the past variables, and can be boiled down to "why aren't Falcom developing games for the Switch right now?"

All hypotheticals are fictional and often lack variables.

Anyway, it is simply a thought experiment you are free to try. If a developer can find success on a platform they aren't currently developing on, should they try to do so?

After you have your answer, consider how much of your reasoning is grounded in rational thought, and how much is grounded in brand loyalty.

Personally, I can't think of a good reason aside from possible lack of resources.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
Does this means that if Switch had the userbase of PS4, Lost Sphear would sell better? Because for a system that has almost a 2m userbase, 4-5k seems bad no matter how you see it. The game totally bombed. Saying that it sold 1500 copies more on PS4 like it matters sounds like a joke.

I'm not saying that the game did well. I acknowledge that it did poorly. The poster I was replying to was confused why it had sold (relatively) better on PS4 than Switch, presumbaly because of handhelds being more popular in Japan. I was pointing out that the Switch install base in Japan right now is 1/3 of what the PS4 is. Despite the smaller install base, the Switch version held its own (relativley), selling a somewhat similar number.

CGiRanger

Banned
Relax, I don't think it's indicative at all. Nintendo will promote Xenoblade 2 more as it's made in-house. FEW also is the first "Fire Emblem" title (a spin off) in a new platform with less than 2M units sold and following several Musou games releases in the last years (they are even releasing more 3 already for Switch). KT seems happy with the result too, so it wasn't meant to be a huge title like Zelda at all.

I strongly believe Xeno 2 will sell more than XC and X.
Does Tokyo Mirage Sessions count as a Fire Emblem Spin Off? But I guess that one didn't do so well either right? But yeah, completely different circumstances there on the Wii U to begin with.

I mean, believe me I'll be happy to think Xeno 2 will have a better performance. I mean, at least I'm really hoping it will do better than Xeno X.

Btw, what were Xeno X's sales in Japan? (and the West?)

Top Bottom