• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3rd party match ups make me smile/takao cry.

3DS launch games really did well compared to Vita.

One of the games impressing me more is Super Street Fighter IV

[3DS] Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom) - 38.557 / 135.925 / 28,37% 26/02/11

[PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 84.937 / 157.704 / 53,86% 12/02/09
[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 80.103 / 153.924 / 52,04% 28/04/10
[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (Capcom) - 45.347 / 82.179 / 55,18% 30/06/11

Wow, indeed.

[3DS] Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom) - 38.557 / 135.925 / 28,37% 26/02/11

[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (Capcom) - 45.347 / 82.179 / 55,18% 30/06/11

Wow, indeed.
Yes, and it's surprising Capcom hasn't followed it up yet with UMVC3 or SFXT announcements. Maybe they'll pull a Monster Hunter and announce TVC2 for 3DS next year though.

Spiegel

Most of those launch games had a huge initial shipment, tanked and sold many copies at a very huge discount.

The same will happen with many Vita games.

test_account

XP-39C²
None yet, but I very much doubt that it'll be the sole console-esque Vita release priced that high.
There will probably be a few $50 games yeah, but i dont think that it will be a norm, so that it affects the overall sales. But first it must be tested of course, if people are willing to pay $50 for an handheld game. Resident Evil Revelations for 3DS is the first one out.

Most of those launch games had a huge initial shipment, tanked and sold many copies at a very huge discount.
I thought that was only the case for Layton really? And even that got new shipments and renewed campaign in the summer to push sales... going back through MC threads I'm really not finding any sellthrough/shipment figures or much indicaton this sort of thing impacted the 3DS launch lineup more than it does the average release?

psn accounts for a missing 100k on each launch title man
:D

Mpl90

I remember something like 110k for RR and Samurai Warriors, 400-450k for Nintendogs...Unfortunately, I don't remember other things.

However, in my opinion, it's good that they continued selling even with the drops in prices, beacuse it's not guaranteed that dropping the price make sell more a game. And a recent image showed that, for example, at least in one store, RR was still at about 3000 Yen, much better than, let's say...Poka Poka Airu G

Ah, now I remember: Layton already outsold its first shipment.

cvxfreak

Wow, indeed.

The 3DS game actually shipped 1 million units worldwide... not sure how much of all that actually sold, though.

Takao

Banned
I'm happy RR bombed. Game had less content than GT5 Prologue, and that was an unashamed paid demo.

As for DW, if it's decent it'll likely have legs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The 3DS game actually shipped 1 million units worldwide... not sure how much of all that actually sold, though.

Unless it did like three times better in Europe than elsewhere, about ~400-500K of that is not sold. :lol

I'm curious to see if that has any after effects for them in the West, since I don't think it will effect them in Japan.

Kenka

Just for information, this week's Hokanko Famitsu article reports what Vita games in top 30 did, approximately, according to Enterbrain

[PSV] Hot Shots Golf 6 (SCE) - 52.000
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 43.000
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 32.000
[PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square-Enix) - 29.000
[PSV] Disgaea 3: Returns (Nippon Ichi Software) - 22.000
[PSV] DLC Racer (Bandai Namco) - 19.000

LaughingCat.jpg

Lulz indeed.
I am also impressed by One Piece sales on 3DS. It sure earned its fair share of Yen.

Boney

Banned
Unless it did like three times better in Europe than elsewhere, about ~400-500K of that is not sold. :lol

I'm curious to see if that has any after effects for them in the West, since I don't think it will effect them in Japan.

Probably the reason there's no SFxT

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm happy RR bombed. Game had less content than GT5 Prologue, and that was an unashamed paid demo.

As for DW, if it's decent it'll likely have legs.
GT5 Prologue did actually have a fair amount of content in it, especially concidering the lower pricetag. It wasnt that much content compared to the full GT5 though, but as a standalone game, it wasnt too bad. It had 6 tracks, about 70 cars (at least after the Spec II update) and online play as well.

As of November, it's still the #3 best selling 3DS game so far behind only Mario and Zelda. December will probably push it to 4th place.

Mpl90

Probably the reason there's no SFxT

I think sooner or later we'll see it on 3DS: Ono in the Tekken 3D Prime Edition promo, in that way, with even a poster of SSFIV 3D Edition behind him is just too big of a possible hint for it.
...But I'd take more a Tatsunoko v.s. Capcom 2, thanks Capcom! :D

[Nintex]

Q1 for 3DS isn't so amazing as it sounds. Plenty of games but not the big hit from Nintendo. I don't know what's the exact reason but NCL took again a step back for first party releases, all release windows were delayed and looking at Fire Emblem's release date there is a possibilitty this is Nintendo's only "big" title for Golden Week.

Their could be some causes for this:

1. Nintendo wants to give third party titles some space and with Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts etc. coming up first party games are not needed.
2. They need some big titles to launch along with the expected 3DS redesign.
3. The games are simply not finished yet.
4. Another restructure of their line-up in terms of priorities. The Wii U is approaching and they're spending more resources on that.

donny2112

I don't think Nintendo would launch a re-designed 3DS in the same Fall as the Wii U. Seems like stretching too thin, and they seem to have a better grasp of that pitfall now (hopefully). If Wii U is Q3/Q4 2012, then redesign seems destined for 2013. 2012 3DS redesign talk seems to be looking at 3DS in a vacuum, unless I'm missing something.

Mpl90

Effectively, considering Nintendo will launch the Wii U in late 2012, a 3DS redesign would complicate things for the home console. So, 2013 should be a pretty estimate for it.

*waiting for next Nintendo Direct, when they'll announce the 3DS Next, with release in February 2012*

[Nintex]

Looking at everything they're doing for 3DS in Japan and not in the EU/US I can see a future in which Nintendo will put their focus on consoles(Wii U) in EU/US and handhelds(3DS) in Japan.

Celine

Admittedly the last time I looked for like three or so months ago, so maybe it sold a lot since then.
But the price collapse is very telling that there are more stocks than demand ( funny enough that could be said for many current gen AAA wannabe ).
Still a beat'em up on an handheld that ship over 1 million is not very common ( can't think of any actually ).

The issue I have here is that there is this hypothetical assumption in the air that a FFVII remake would need to be of such insanely high quality that it would surpass anything out there right now and cost a gazillion dollars. Now does anyone really believe that? Seriously?

Well, I mean, they could do whatever they want. They could upscale FF7, slap on some new party assets, and sell 1-2m copies worldwide at $40, I'm confident, but that's not really what we're talking about -- rather, we're talking about a full-fledged console remake and its potential (or lack thereof) as a restorative to the FF brand as a whole. That's a project that's going to run $20-30m at minimum, even taking shortcuts like digging into the CC archives.

Lightning

Banned
I haven't really followed FFXIII-2 but these sales are quite disappointing. I didn't really like FFXIII and would have preferred a new game instead of this but I would have hoped the game didn't do so poorly. Hopefully next weeks drop off won't be that bad.

Well, I mean, they could do whatever they want. They could upscale FF7, slap on some new party assets, and sell 1-2m copies worldwide at $40, I'm confident, but that's not really what we're talking about -- rather, we're talking about a full-fledged console remake and its potential (or lack thereof) as a restorative to the FF brand as a whole. That's a project that's going to run $20-30m at minimum, even taking shortcuts like digging into the CC archives.

I'm not super experienced with the Final Fantasy series so maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly makes people think that Final Fantasy VII will light up sales charts if ever does get rereleased? Considering it's an RPG I'm assuming the gameplay is a tad dated, and overall consumer tastes have changed, right? I mean sure, Ocarina of Time 3D still sold well but I wouldn't exactly say it made 3DS systems fly off shelves, despite being pretty much a staple to the video game industry in the same era as Final Fantasy VII.

But I suppose if we're talking full fledged, completely redone remake maybe that could be more of a huge system pusher. But has any "redone" classic ever heavily pushed consoles? REmake? Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen? I really can't think of too many examples.

I'm not super experienced with the Final Fantasy series so maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly makes people think that Final Fantasy VII will light up sales charts if ever does get rereleased? Considering it's an RPG I'm assuming the gameplay is a tad dated, and overall consumer tastes have changed, right? I mean sure, Ocarina of Time 3D still sold well but I wouldn't exactly say it made 3DS systems fly off shelves, despite being pretty much a staple to the video game industry in the same era as Final Fantasy VII.

But I suppose if we're talking full fledged, completely redone remake maybe that could be more of a huge system pusher. But has any "redone" classic ever heavily pushed consoles? REmake? Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen? I really can't think of too many examples.

OoT didn't clearly benefit from a remake the way FF7 might. Basically, when OoT 3D came out, people complained that they changed nothing and MM didn't improve on it much graphically. FF7 on the other hand, had a much graphically improved sequel in FF8 and was an inconsistent mess even at the time of release.

Basically, it's the best selling and most popular FF and graphically, it stands to gain the most from an update. As for other remakes that have set the world on fire - look at Prince of Persia in the West.

OoT didn't clearly benefit from a remake the way FF7 might. Basically, when OoT 3D came out, people complained that they changed nothing and MM didn't improve on it much graphically. FF7 on the other hand, had a much graphically improved sequel in FF8 and was an inconsistent mess even at the time of release.

Basically, it's the best selling and most popular FF and graphically, it stands to gain the most from an update. As for other remakes that have set the world on fire - look at Prince of Persia in the West.

Wait, I'm confused as to what Majora's Mask has to do with anything? I realize OoT 3D wasn't the end all be all to what some people would hope for a remake (such as an HD, realistic anniversary edition with plenty of extras), but even still the remake has been demanded for for years. It still was a graphical upgrade, had extras, and the handheld appeal, but I still wouldn't say it rejuvenated the 3DS sales (although it did help).

I just can't help but think a Final Fantasy VII remake would have a similar reception. It was the most successful Final Fantasy large in part because it was one of the first cinematic masterpieces within a videogame... something that is very common now in days in games. Aside from nostalgia what's the huge draw to get all of the gamers from the 90's to go out and get a remade version?

As for Prince of Persia, that wasn't what I would call a remake but rather a reboot of the series. People are demanding/hoping for a Final Fantasy reboot, but how would going back to the archaic design of VII allow for the series to grow into something new?

[Nintex];33789839 said:
Looking at everything they're doing for 3DS in Japan and not in the EU/US I can see a future in which Nintendo will put their focus on consoles(Wii U) in EU/US and handhelds(3DS) in Japan.
I'm not entirely sure I can agree.

Nintendo handhelds do quite well in America too, though that seems to be solely on the back of Japanese development. So maybe I do entirely agree?

Home consoles this past generation in Japan have just about completely cemented them as secondary or tertiary importance in the market though. Their performance in America will make them mainstays.

Though honestly I really did prefer Japanese support last gen. Lots of interesting ideas saw success, and no offense to American devs but you guys don't have that same flair.

I'm not super experienced with the Final Fantasy series so maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly makes people think that Final Fantasy VII will light up sales charts if ever does get rereleased? Considering it's an RPG I'm assuming the gameplay is a tad dated, and overall consumer tastes have changed, right?

Pretty much, yes. I too agree that it's foolish to hold it up as a savior of a declining series, for basically the exact reasons you mention.

Pretty much, yes. I too agree that it's foolish to hold it up as a savior of a declining series, for basically the exact reasons you mention.

Though nostalgia (as mentioned before) can be quite the hook.

I can't see a remake stopping the rapid descent of the series in all honesty. It may stave off the rapid fall the series is going through for that singular release, but that doesn't help the series overall.

duckroll

That seems like a broad and kinda... stupid description. When did a remake ever restore a brand? REmake is one of the best remakes of an older classic, and it did jack shit to restore anything to the RE brand. It took RE4 to do that, by taking the series in a completely different direction.

Remakes are generally cash grabs targeting classic fans who might no long be interested in what the franchise offers on the modern line up. They are pretty much never used to expand or stop a decline in interest for a series.

And my larger point is that even making a solid remake, I don't see why FFVII is such a different or unique game that it would supposedly take ridiculous investment to remake properly in HD. It's not the biggest FF game. It's not a FF game with particularly complex areas. It's not a FF game with an unusually high shitload of enemies. It would cost the same to remake FFVII as it would to make most other HD RPGs these days. FFXIII taking forever and costing a ton of R&D is not an example of what it takes to make a HD RPG these days.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokémon is the only series I can think of where remakes are anywhere near as important as main games. I guess DQ is a distant second.

duckroll

Pokémon is the only series I can think of where remakes are anywhere near as important as main games. I guess DQ is a distant second.

This has nothing to do with how much a remake sells for a healthy series though. The main point is basically that apparently FF is in serious decline now, and some people believe that a remake of FFVII would show that the series is "back" and somehow restore confidence and love in the franchise. This never happens. If Pokemon or DQ fall into decline and the main games start to sell less and less, a remake of a Pokemon or DQ game that people loved in the past isn't going to change jack shit.

FFXIII taking forever and costing a ton of R&D is not an example of what it takes to make a HD RPG these days.
Versus XIII is still taking them forever and working two years on XIII-2, which is quite short, a technical step down from its predecessor and presumably reuses a lot of assets and discarded content from XIII, is not a sign of great efficiency either. You could argue that even some of SE's PSP output took them too long to develop.
SE still has to prove a lot when it comes to reasonable development times on HD platforms.

While it's higher than most other series, Pokemon remakes still only sell a bit more than half of what the new games sell (Kirby is probably the biggest in terms of remakes. Just look at Kirby Superstar Ultra and Nightmare into Dreamland!)

This has nothing to do with how much a remake sells for a healthy series though. The main point is basically that apparently FF is in serious decline now, and some people believe that a remake of FFVII would show that the series is "back" and somehow restore confidence and love in the franchise. This never happens. If Pokemon or DQ fall into decline and the main games start to sell less and less, a remake of a Pokemon or DQ game that people loved in the past isn't going to change jack shit.

Agreed. If anything it might make things worse as people make a contrast between Square Enix's current Final Fantasy and Squaresoft's "classic" Final Fantasy. The only thing they can do to restore confidence is to start work on FF15 immediately and start from scratch, with a whole new vision and direction that's a million miles away from FF13.

Effectively, considering Nintendo will launch the Wii U in late 2012, a 3DS redesign would complicate things for the home console. So, 2013 should be a pretty estimate for it.

*waiting for next Nintendo Direct, when they'll announce the 3DS Next, with release in February 2012*

I think a new 3DS could come sooner than the Wii U. Revisions don't tend to come with much warning, for obvious reasons, and I don't think they get in the way of new systems, as they tend to be just a way of making an existing system more popular.
Incidentally, in the last 11 years, they've released a new handheld every 16.5 months on average.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And my larger point is that even making a solid remake, I don't see why FFVII is such a different or unique game that it would supposedly take ridiculous investment to remake properly in HD. It's not the biggest FF game. It's not a FF game with particularly complex areas. It's not a FF game with an unusually high shitload of enemies. It would cost the same to remake FFVII as it would to make most other HD RPGs these days. FFXIII taking forever and costing a ton of R&D is not an example of what it takes to make a HD RPG these days.

Someone made Cosmo Canyon in UDK: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipqUJ1b2w0&hd=1

This was one person in their spare time, and it seems fine quality wise, so I agree that conceptually they should be able to manage.

Hero

A FFVII remake would be purely for the diehard FFVII enthusiast and I just don't think that audience really exists anymore to justify a full blown HD remake. The industry has changed a lot since then and a simple remake won't justify the cost of a project when they can't even get out Versus in a timely manner. It'd be nice to have but it's just not fiscally viable for Square-Enix.

Dare I say it but perhaps Square-Enix should appeal to the western market with a more open world environment where your player decisions effect the story ala Fallout 3/Skyrim/Mass Effect? With the series being at its low point in Japan I don't think they could lose anymore than they already have but the potential to grab interest and support in the west could theoretically justify the risks of a Japanese RPG spin to the Western RPG style.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A FFVII remake would be purely for the diehard FFVII enthusiast and I just don't think that audience really exists anymore to justify a full blown HD remake. The industry has changed a lot since then and a simple remake won't justify the cost of a project when they can't even get out Versus in a timely manner. It'd be nice to have but it's just not fiscally viable for Square-Enix.

Dare I say it but perhaps Square-Enix should appeal to the western market with a more open world environment where your player decisions effect the story ala Fallout 3/Skyrim/Mass Effect? With the series being at its low point in Japan I don't think they could lose anymore than they already have but the potential to grab interest and support in the west could theoretically justify the risks of a Japanese RPG spin to the Western RPG style.

I feel the main question is whether they A.) have people willing to make that and B.) if they do, can they do it well.

If they don't, then I feel they run a significant risk of actually making something that is received much worse than what they are already putting out.

Though, if this is the sales direction their main series is heading in, I guess we do open the question of whether they're actually doing a good job at the things they are trying to do anyway.

u_neek

Really interested in seeing how XIII-2 will do in its second week. Have a feeling that the drop won't be as huge as usual for most PS3 titles.

Hero

I feel the main question is whether they A.) have people willing to make that and B.) if they do, can they do it well.

If they don't, then I feel they run a significant risk of actually making something that is received much worse than what they are already putting out.

Though, if this is the sales direction their main series is heading in, I guess we do open the question of whether they're actually doing a good job at the things they are trying to do anyway.

Yeah, certainly the question of if they can make it and how well they could make a game of that nature is valid. I just feel like at the rate they're going now with the Final Fantasy franchise they're almost at the rock bottom point. I would say they could brandish it with some other subtitle instead of giving it a mainline number but I feel a good portion of the decline in the brand name is because they've released too much stuff this generation. I feel like the Final Fantasy name used to mean a lot because you only saw it a few times a generation so when the games did come out it was special. But you look at this generation and we've had so much Final Fantasy shoved down our throats that it's exhausting to keep up with.

Weren't there rumors that they outsourced a Final Fantasy project to a western studio but decided to cancel it? Could've sworn we saw some art assets or concept art from it.

[Nintex]

Weren't there rumors that they outsourced a Final Fantasy project to a western studio but decided to cancel it? Could've sworn we saw some art assets or concept art from it.

Grin was working on Final Fantasy Fortress or something and it wasn't going so well because Square Enix kept shooting concepts down and development grinded to a halt. At some point one of Grin's producers got sick of it and forwarded some Final Fantasy XII concepts to Square Enix, which they also shot down because: "It didn't feel like Final Fantasy" that's when they knew the Japanese guys on the other side of the ocean were actively sabotaging the project.

http://andriasang.com/comzj9/mgs_3ds_bundle/

MGS: Snake Eater 3D will have an hardware bundle.
Good news. I think Nintendo should take the whole new hardware color thing to the next level and do more of these hardware bundles. Its the easiest way to gauge how many hardcore players there is for certain franchise and how how many people are dedicated enough to buy them. Its also easy advertisement and shows effort are being put into these games. Now Kojima needs to step it up a notch and make the game look a little better. Oh and its also easy money.

Top Bottom