• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2013 (Feb 18 - Feb 24)

crinale

10./00. [WIU] Tank! Tank! Tank! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2003.02.21} (¥5.040) - 5.513 / NEW

Huh, I thought this was already f2p over there?

It's kinda wired but that's how things work in Japan.
You'll see some people actually picking up PSO2 for Vita (also f2p title) next week...

mclem

As I have said the past few weeks, if it continues to be like this after it actually gets games start coming out (Tanks Tanks Tanks doesn't count as it has been free to play since just after launch), then it has a problem

The burning question in my eyes is whether the perception of the system *now* is going to affect the success of the system *when* there's more of a software foundation to build on.

urfe

I assume we won't see the full repercussions of the Vita drop 'til *next* week, right?

That's my guess.

PSO2 bundle for the same price also comes out tomorrow, which I bet will also contribute.

edit: wait, it's f2p?

With no games? It will just be a spike, Sony is dropping the price for the Vita since games are coming for it, while the Wii U doesn't have any until Game & Wario and DQX.

I figure they'll want to do it before the end of the fiscal quarter in order to have somewhat better numbers to show for the thing, but like grim said, it's most likely going to be bundles.

AC has already crossed the 3 mil mark for retail copies, eh? That thing just keeps on going.

Also, the Wii U needs games pretty badly. Those delays aren't helping it at all.

Cipherr

| PSV | 11.669 |
| WIU | 9.495 |

sGNLjtO.gif

| WIU | 9.495 |
| PSP # | 9.237 |

0Dpxaar.gif

With no games? It will just be a spike, Sony is dropping the price for the Vita since games are coming for it, while the Wii U doesn't have any until Game & Wario and DQX.

There's need for speed before those 2 but that will be lucky to sell more than tank tank tank

Ryuuga

Banned
So is this the first week that Wii U fell below 10k? If so how many weeks did it take for Vita in contrast?

Vita really benefits from early stores price drop. Wii U on the other hand... It's already incredible that Tank! x3 sold more than 5000 units.

I was expecting more from Magi though.

It'll be interesting to see the PS4 and how it fits into Pacman's mouth and whether or not it'll still be smaller than PSP+PSV for a while. Does show you why Sony felt the need to release the Vita though.

kiri

Painfully slow week this week. Confused as to why the Vita is going UP this week when the cut starts from tomorrow...

Also, I just noticed, is it me or whenever sales of all the consoles go down, Vita is the only one to increase?

tiku

No, a lot of stores dropped the price early over the past week.

Fucking amazing Rising performance. As Nirolak said, this isn't even that far off from a mainline title.

It's obvious I meant "officially" :p

I doubt the large majority of stores have applied the price cut. Many will have, but, honestly, I don't think it's a majority.

I guess next week we'll see the real impact on sales of Vita's price cut.

confuziz

Banned
Painfully slow week this week. Confused as to why the Vita is going UP this week when the cut starts from tomorrow...

Also, I just noticed, is it me or whenever sales of all the consoles go down, Vita is the only one to increase?

Perhaps you should read the thread =P

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Damn, Vita not only overtakes PSP, but the Wii U! Hahahahahaha!

Apparently Japan is waiting for PS4 for their next gen console fix.

I posted this in the other Rising thread, but it's also relevant here, especially when we get the Media Create numbers:

Comparisons with other MGS games (first week sales):
01./00. [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Konami) - 548,186 / NEW
01./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 465,000 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami) - 434.366 / NEW

Comparisons with other major titles in the same genre (first week sales):
01./00. [PS3] DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom) - 110,429 / NEW
21./00. [360] DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom) - 6,000 / NEW
-
02./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 205,390 / NEW
07./00. [360] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 40,023 / NEW
-
01./00. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 135,242 / NEW
07./00. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 64,325 / NEW
Japan really wasn't hyped for DmC, huh?

Damn, Vita not only overtakes PSP, but the Wii U! Hahahahahaha!

Apparently Japan is waiting for PS4 for their next gen console fix.

At the moment, I'd say Japan is waiting for games.

Under 10K is a pitiful result, but it's been on the cards since well before the start of the year.

duckroll

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20130227078/

First week MC comparisons:

01./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami) - 308,681 / NEW

vs

01./00. [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Konami) - 548,186 / NEW
01./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 465,000 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Konami) - 434.366 / NEW
-
01./00. [PS3] DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom) - 110,429 / NEW
21./00. [360] DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom) - 6,000 / NEW
-
02./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 205,390 / NEW
07./00. [360] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 40,023 / NEW
-
01./00. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 135,242 / NEW
07./00. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 64,325 / NEW

Tom_Cody

03./02. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 77.709 / 3.012.055 (+1%)

I am merely an occasional viewer of Japanese sales threads so I would love if someone could broadly explain New Leaf's continued weekly success.

I am admittedly not very informed, but I don't ever remember seeing a game selling week over week at this level. At the height of the DS' success (right around the launch of the lite) I remember Brain Training and NSMB doing ~40k/week but nothing like ~75K/week.

Are these number as unprecedented as they seem to me? Beyond that, what has lead to this success? Has the game simply become a cultural phenomenon or is this partly related to supply constraints?

Final question, do we have any sense of its digital sales numbers?

Edit: I guess this partially answers my question:
After 17 weeks.

AC:NL - 3,012,055
NSMB - 2,992,510
AC:WW - 2,157,232

Does anyone have similar numbers for Brain Training?

Lexxism

Now this is interesting. I can't wait to see next week sales if Vita will sale more than 100k.

PS. Lol'd at WiiU.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
After 16 weeks.

AC:NL - 3,012,055
NSMB - 2,992,510
AC:WW - 2,157,232

Edit: I counted day 0 as a week by accident! It's 16 weeks.

And that's without counting direct sales from eShop. It should be around 3.4 millions counting them. It's a massacre.

test_account

XP-39C²
And that's without counting direct sales from eShop. It should be around 3.4 millions counting them. It's a massacre.
Was there given any sales data about how much the download version sold without the cards? Famitsu includes the download cards.

EDIT: Or maybe you checked the Media Create numbers and looked at the difference since Media Create doesnt count the download cards =)

Lexxism

Shouldn't it be around 3.7m counting the digital? I remember that there was a thread saying that digital version of ac:nl already sold 700k copies.

urfe

As horrible as the WiiU numbers are, it only means people aren't interested now.

As a Japan resident, I'm not interested now, but I expect that will change by the end of this year.

It's funny, more than a Wii U price drop, I want more bundle and colour variations. Won't hold my breath though.

Top Bottom