• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Thread: Week 42, 2017 (Oct 16 Oct 22) [READ INTRO, please!]

saichi

GT franchise continues the decline in Japan and probably WW too.

On a completely unrelated note, I'll reset but I think I'll miss the fun SMO launch discussion
:(

vala

Famitsu numbers are out

New 3ds 6.137
2ds 846
New 2ds LL 8.272
Ps Vita 3.832
Switch 23.892
Wii U 33
Ps4 25.930
Ps4 Pro 6.077
XOne S 71
Ps3 37

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Starting from next week, we should have Chris-style threads again posted promptly after numbers are released. Nothing can compete against his database for historical data, but I have been working on a script which is able to parse the latest numbers in combination with data which has been previously posted to GAF.

It is currently missing two crucial things, which I hope can be resolved with the help of the community:

• Romaji game names:
I have tried looking into various sources for this but cannot find anything reliable. We need to take a Japanese name (such as "グランツーリスモSPORT(限定版、同梱版含む)") and convert it into its romaji or English equivalent. An API, JSON/CSV, or consistent format would be great. The alternative is manually inputting game names (possibly in advance) which is not ideal as it will lead to delays in creating the thread. Any suggestions?

• Software weekly total:
I can't figure out where Chris is getting this from. Perhaps it might be best to reach out to him for this metric. I am not in contact with him so I would appreciate if somebody could.

Apart from those roadblocks, things are coming along. The next step is to integrate with past sales data posted here on GAF to get hardware LTD numbers, previous positions, etc.

I haven't posted all that much in the sales threads so you might not recognise me, but I have read and analysed weekly for over a decade. I have been meaning to create a sales data archive of my own for a while and I don't want there to be any sacrifices made to these threads, so I hope to keeping things ticking along without interruption.

Thanks for your hard work this week, PantsuJo.

This is a good first start Tadaima & PantsuJo! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do! Chris usually posts the game releasing for a particular week 2 weeks beforehand, so it looks like someone posts that data ahead of time. As such, if you know the games releasing in the future, maybe you can get someone to translate them for you. Honestly for the more popular title, Google Translate usually gives you enough of a hint. For other stuff it's a bit harder though.

www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking
Famitsu Week 42 Sales Preview - top 10 (out of 30) - was doing this by hand since I haven't altered my Dengeki script for this, but here's a preview until Tadaima does the full thing:
01./00. [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport # <RCE> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.10.19} (¥6.900) - 139.356 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Kyoei Toshi <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.10.19} (¥8.200) - 44.641 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] The Evil Within 2 <ADV> (Bethesda Softworks) {2017.10.19} (¥7.980) - 43.568 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary <TBL> (Square Enix) {2017.10.19} (¥7.800) - 39.192 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary <TBL> (Square Enix) {2017.10.19} (¥5.980) - 15.815 / NEW
06./00. [PSV] Uta no Prince-Sama: Amazing Aria & Sweet Serenade Love # <ADV> (Broccoli) {2017.10.19} (¥6.300) - 14.352 / NEW

07./02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 14.161 / 1.288.631
08./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 11.095 / 702.376
09./01. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of War <RPG> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.10.12} (¥7.800) - 7.820 / 30.866
10./03. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.10.05} (¥4.980) - 6.117 / 49.953

_Dog_

Neo Member
So I take it these MC threads won't last much longer, am I wrong? If that's the case, when does Discord go public?

If anyone one has an invitation code and details of the new forum I'd like a PM. I don't mind posting here but if everyone is leaving I'd like to continue reading the discussion. Feels crazy, I've been reading these threads for about 12 years. Kinda surreal really.

If anyone one has an invitation code and details of the new forum I'd like a PM. I don't mind posting here but if everyone is leaving I'd like to continue reading the discussion. Feels crazy, I've been reading these threads for about 12 years. Kinda surreal really.

You can still read it, just not register.

test_account

XP-39C²
This was it last major release until December, and its GT, and it barely moved the needle an additional 8k to sell as much as a console that is not in stock.

I do not define this as decent, nor were the sales of GTS good.
Are you talking about this week in specific or in general? In general, 25k - 30k a week for a console is decent in today's market. There have been periods with noticeably lower sales. People here have been talking for years how the console market has declined.

On a completely unrelated note, I'll reset but I think I'll miss the fun SMO launch discussion
Why would you miss it?

Sony have mishandled GT a lot (GT6 should have been cross-gen) but I'd say that those numbers avoided worst case scenario

This was it last major release until December, and its GT, and it barely moved the needle an additional 8k to sell as much as a console that is not in stock.

I do not define this as decent, nor were the sales of GTS good.

I mean it's typically a 3ds, Switch game in the top or top 3, for it to be playstation in all those spots but I see you trying to down play it more than it should and yes I agree that GT is made well enough that it should sell better but obviously is missing a lot of content now.

Recently, I read a French video game journal about the super nintendo and the super nintendo mini classic written by florent Gorges and others:

There is a sales section written by Oscar Lemaire (a regular of this topic) entitled "the real 16-bit war":

Nintendo figures inside are well known, you will recognize the figures in this topic of celine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145709152&postcount=1 and aquamarine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86921323&postcount=1 but others seem less known to me.
You may know them, but if in doubt I share them here with pictures, translation and figures.

Distribution of the main fourth-generation consoles in Japan by fiscal year. PC Engine figures include CD consoles:

Distribution of consoles in USA (1989-1996)

Distribution of megadrive and super nintendo consoles in the West (in millions):

Million sellers (Worldwide) on the super nintendo classic mini

Super mario world: 20,61m
Donkey Kong Country: 9,3m
Super Mario Kart: 8,76m
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past: 4,61m
Super Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island: 4,12m
Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting: 4,1m
Starwing: 2,99m
Final Fantasy VI: 2,9m
F-Zero: 2,85m
Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars: 2,14m
Secret Of Mana: 1,83m
Kirby's Fun Pack: 1,44m
Super Metroid: 1,42m
Mega Man X:1,16m
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts: 1,09m

Bonus (not in this journal):

The StarFox 2 team

22 years later:

DDU8YfgV0AE_wSo.0.jpg

DDVT8F1VoAUuO9t.jpg

Orgen

Great find silpheed, thanks! I know that Mario World was bundled but I'm surprised about the decline of Yoshi's Island. I always thought it sold more!

I don't really care for the whole situation that has occured but since I'm a sales guy I'll go to the place where there is a similar audience and right now almost the entire sales community has moved away. It wasn't my intention to abandon NeoGAF anytime soon and certainly not with this way but with current circumstances it's very difficult to keep participating since I focus only to a one forum.

Since almost all with experience to create a Media Create thread have left I understand it will be difficult for someone new to offer a smooth transition and it will need a lot of patience but if there is willing there will be found a good solution sooner or later.

This will be the last post from me here, to those who will continue I wish good luck.

Thanks for all your effort through these years. MC people owes you a lot for all your work doing the weekly threads and other sales threads. It seems that the most of the usuals posters moved to the other place so maybe I'll try to get a user there to follow whatever you're doing.

Anyway, thanks again for everything and good luck in your future endeavours! :)

fahr

I don't really care for the whole situation that has occured but since I'm a sales guy I'll go to the place where there is a similar audience and right now almost the entire sales community has moved away. It wasn't my intention to abandon NeoGAF anytime soon and certainly not with this way but with current circumstances it's very difficult to keep participating since I focus only to a one forum.

Since almost all with experience to create a Media Create thread have left I understand it will be difficult for someone new to offer a smooth transition and it will need a lot of patience but if there is willing there will be found a good solution sooner or later.

This will be the last post from me here, to those who will continue I wish good luck.

But where are you going..? How will I find you again, my friend? :)

PantsuJo

Thread updated with Famitsu sales (Top 20) and hardware sales.

I can't post very often due to my job so I will fix any error you eventually found in the next hours, thank you guys! ^_^

Celine

Recently, I read a French video game journal about the super nintendo and the super nintendo mini classic written by florent Gorges and others:

There is a sales section written by Oscar Lemaire (a regular of this topic) entitled "the real 16-bit war":

Nintendo figures inside are well known, you will recognize the figures in this topic of celine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145709152&postcount=1 and aquamarine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86921323&postcount=1 but others seem less known to me.
You may know them, but if in doubt I share them here with pictures, translation and figures.
Oscar is a good guy.
Part of SalesAge collected old shipment figures for "classic" consoles in an thread titled "Retro Sales Age Thread" (all started when in a Dreamcast thread here I objected the bullshit DC LTD proposed by Wikipedia, the actual DC LTD was always available from Sega IR reports by doing a bit of research!).
It's one of SalesAge's finest achievement (the historical importance is high because the info is hard to come by, even for the most expert).
Another proof that what made SalesAge great isn't a web domain but the community.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981407

And here a little thread I created for comparing Nintendo and Sega figures that went practically unnoticed by most gaffers at the time:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059657

Lucumo

So I take it these MC threads won't last much longer, am I wrong? If that's the case, when does Discord go public?

They will be on both forums.

And here a little thread I created for comparing Nintendo and Sega figures that went practically unnoticed by most gaffers at the time:

Weird. I'm pretty sure I've seen those graphs before. I guess they got reposted at some point? I also remember the thread with monthly sales data (US) of the mid 90s where Sega was basically dominating Nintendo.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Thread updated with Famitsu sales (Top 20) and hardware sales.

I can't post very often due to my job so I will fix any error you eventually found in the next hours, thank you guys! ^_^

do you plan on posting 21-30 eventually for Famitsu? Thanks!

PantsuJo

do you plan on posting 21-30 eventually for Famitsu? Thanks!
I would like to have a "Top 20 MC vs Top 20 Famitsu" situation for now, because they are the the most significant data in terms of sales and this maintain the thread compact and clear.

Of course, this isn't a definitive decision. Everything here is "w.i.p."

Kid Ying

I would like to have a "Top 20 MC vs Top 20 Famitsu" situation for now, because they are the the most significant data in terms of sales and this maintain the thread compact and clear.

Of course, this isn't a definitive decision. Everything here is "w.i.p."
Hmmm, i get why, but it's also a bit strange to uphold data we know It exists.

Perhaps posting on other Pages the full data and keep the top 20 at the op would be a fine solution.

Oscar is a good guy.
Part of SalesAge collected old shipment figures for "classic" consoles in an thread titled "Retro Sales Age Thread" (all started when in a Dreamcast thread here I objected the bullshit DC LTD proposed by Wikipedia, the actual DC LTD was always available from Sega IR reports by doing a bit of research!).
It's one of SalesAge's finest achievement (the historical importance is high because the info is hard to come by, even for the most expert).
Another proof that what made SalesAge great isn't a web domain but the community.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981407

Thanks a lot for this url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059657 , I had never seen it, full of diamonds, impressive search, congratulations Celine :) , an example that i love :p :

NVL95V9.png

I have a question for you Celine:

I noticed one thing while I was doing my table of figures in the West from oscar Lemaire article, we see 150 000 for Others West while the 1991/92 fiscal year:

480928Captureventeswest.png

No other country than Canada (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) in West while this period received super nes so I put Canada, that's correct for you or not? Thanks :)

But, i noticed one more thing here:
UdkO2i7.png

1991/92 SNES = 190 000, where did this difference of 40,000 go? South Korea? Or a mistake from oscar Lemaire between USA and Americas here? ( https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=233013PA250093.jpg "91/92 SNES 3.350.000" he wrote Etats-Unis, that means USA in french language, not Americas) or a Aquamarine mistake? These Aquamarine figures mean 190 000 for south Korea, snes launch in others countries were after march 31 1992, thanks a lot :)

PantsuJo

Hmmm, i get why, but it's also a bit strange to uphold data we know It exists.

Perhaps posting on other Pages the full data and keep the top 20 at the op would be a fine solution.

You are right, this is a solution too but, let me explain why I choose this format: right now managing and posting this data has been time consuming for me (even worse because was my first time making MC threads >_<"), basically for two reason:

• I don't have a script to make things automatic (but Tadaima is currently working on it)
  • I have a job literally time-consuming and very few free time (I'm literally writing this post while preparing new work for tomorrow, lol)
Just for the Top20 Charts and HW sales I spent more than 1 hour, checking sources, data and math... And still there was errors in some tables :p

So I preferred to keep only relevants data and give GAF a new MC thread as fast as possibile, even if compact (but clear). Of course, we'll improve in efficiency over the weeks! :)

Thanks in advance for understanding and sorry for every small/big problems our format still have!

Edit: also, I still have to make PAL Charts thread too, preparing its template. I volunteered for it, too. I'll do my best, guys! ^_^

Kid Ying

It's okay, Pant! You are doing a great job.

I Will put the rest gere (no Format)
[3ds]Animal crossing - 2.341
[PS4] Lost sphear - 2250
[Swi] fifa - 2166
[PS4] Sniper 3 - 2079
[Swi] fire emblem Warriors - 2034
[Swi] Xenoverse 2 - 2011
[PS4] Trails of cold steel 3 -1966
[PS4] DQXI - 1927
[PS4] GTV - 1907
[PS4] no heroes allowed VR - 1906

Overall, sales werent great, but things are going to get better soon.

Aters

Sales thread is always the bread and butter of any videogame forum for me, and GAF has the best sales community I've been a part of. Now that Chris1964, along with the majority of the old gang, has moved on, I think it's time for me to leave too. It's been a fun two years since I first lurked here even though I spent seven months of it banned. See you guys around and the best luck to all of you. You guys are what made GAF great.

ksamedi

Oh, thats already up and running? I thought it was only Discord.

EDIT: As a temporary solution that is, until the new forum gets up and running.

EDIT 2: Ah, i see its up and running indeed. And yeah, secret code is needed. If anyone could PM me it, i'd appreciate it.
Ditto. Id like a pm with a code. Long time GAF user here but id like to join the regular sales crew as well.

Next Neo Geo games for Switch:

Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior
Street Hoop
Fighter's History Dynamite
Soccer Brawl
World Heroes
Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy
The Last Blade.

mao2

Street Hoop
Soccer Brawl
World Heroes
The Last Blade.
Nice to see Top Hunter finally coming!

BTW the PS4/XBO list is slightly different because some of the games above are already available.

The King of Fighters '97
Street Hoop
Soccer Brawl
World Heroes 2 Jet
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special

ZeroXZee

Street Hoop
Fighter’s History Dynamite
Soccer Brawl
World Heroes
The Last Blade.

Switch will never get Windjammers, right? With the DotEmu release for PS plataforms...

Oh, thats already up and running? I thought it was only Discord.

EDIT: As a temporary solution that is, until the new forum gets up and running.

EDIT 2: Ah, i see its up and running indeed. And yeah, secret code is needed. If anyone could PM me it, i'd appreciate it.

I would also like a PM with the secret code, if possible! :)

Ōkami

Hey everyone.

I didn't post often so not sure if anyone is familiar with me, but while I'm not leaving the site I don't play to post on these threads anymore.

For the sake of "transition" or whatever, I'll be willing to help how I can within the next couple of weeks or so.

mao2

Switch will never get Windjammers, right? With the DotEmu release for PS plataforms...
Unless there's a exclusivity agreement, I don't see why it wouldn't be on other consoles as well. Metal Slug 3 and Garou MOTW were ported to PS platforms by Code Mystics but Hamster released them on Switch via ACA Neo Geo.

Lucumo

&#332;kami;252879517 said:
Hey everyone.

I didn't post often so not sure if anyone is familiar with me, but while I'm not leaving the site I don't play to post on these threads anymore.

For the sake of "transition" or whatever, I'll be willing to help how I can within the next couple of weeks or so.

If you had a different avatar before (Amaterasu), I've definitely seen you a lot of times. Happy to hear that you are helping with the "transitional" phase.

Do you need to have an account to be able to read it? I'm getting

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /news/201710/27144867.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

at least.

Eolz

If you had a different avatar before (Amaterasu), I've definitely seen you a lot of times. Happy to hear that you are helping with the "transitional" phase.

Do you need to have an account to be able to read it? I'm getting

at least.

Paste the link in google and open it from there (top result). Famitsu doesn't like hotlinking.

Lucumo

Paste the link in google and open it from there (top result). Famitsu doesn't like hotlinking.

Thank you. Weird, I thought I accessed Famitsu articles in the past (from these threads) but I guess it must have been a different website.

Eolz

Thank you. Weird, I thought I accessed Famitsu articles in the past (from these threads) but I guess it must have been a different website.

No, it seems it have gotten stricter than before.
In the past when it happened you just had to paste the link again in the url, or it worked :/

Lucumo

Classic Japanese manga, haha. I'm surprised they allowed that though, considering their policies on the gaming systems.

South Korea and Taiwan Switch Launch: December 1 2017

South Korea:

http://www.nintendo.co.kr/PR/press_list.php?cPage1=1&cPage2=1&idx=274&press_div=P

December 1 games

Nintendo Super Mario Odyssey December 1, 2017
Nintendo 1-2-Switch December 1, 2017
Nintendo xenoblade 2 December 1, 2017
SUPER BOMBERMAN R Dec 1, 2017
NBA 2K18 December 1, 2017
Disgaea 5 December 1, 2017
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dec. 1, 2017
Wonder Boy: Dragons Trap Dec 1, 2017
Puyo Puyo &#8482; Tetris® S December 1, 2017
SONIC FORCES December 1, 2017
Fate / EXTELLA Dec 1, 2017
MONSTER HUNTER XX &#8482;Nintendo Switch Ver. December 1, 2017
ULTRA STREET FIGHTER IIThe Final Challengers Dec 1, 2017

Later:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe December 15, 2017 64,800 &#50896; O
RESIDENT EVIL® REVELATIONS December 2017
LEGO ® World December, 2017
LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes 2 December 2017
Mario + Rabid Kingdom Battle January 18, 2018
Splatoon 2 tentative at the beginning of 2018
Zelda's Legend Breath of the Wild in early 2018
Portal Knights Spring 2018
SnipperCLips PLUS CUT IT OUT, TOGETHER! Undefined

Taiwan

switch_packages_2.jpg

http://www.nintendo.tw/pressrelease/switch_20170920.html

December 1 games

Super Mario Odyssey December 1
Xenoblade 2 December 1, 2017
Splatoon 2 December 1, 2017
1-2-Switch December 1, 2017
POKKÉN TOURNAMENT DX December 1, 2017
ULTRA STREET FIGHTER II The Final Challengers December 1, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors December 1, 2017
Nobunaga Ambition wild hope to create with Power-up Kit December 1, 2017
Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-up Kit December 1, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris December 1, 2017
SnipperCLips PLUS CUT IT OUT, TOGETHER! December 1, 2017

Later:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition December 15, 2017
Mario + Crazy Rabbit Kingdom battle, January 18, 2018
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2017 Winter
Zelda's Legend Breath of the Wild in early 2018

http://www.nintendo.tw/software/switch/

ComG!: Day's pre-orders

SMO: +8 pt (last day) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XseQIRBuodk
Pokemon US/UM: +8 pt
MHW: +3 pt
http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

MARIO 3D

mariostatuesweden-1024x768.jpg

Super mario galaxy 2 wii:
ComG! preorders (last day): 313 pt
First week (famitsu): 337.569
LTD: 1.046.696
Hardware: 11.607.212

Super mario 3d land 3ds:
ComG! preorders (last day): 262 pt
First week: 344.698
LTD: 2.111.490
Hardware: 2.356.915

Super mario odyssey switch:

Last day: 207 pt
Hardware: 2 million?

Super mario galaxy wii:
ComG! preorders (last day): 201 pt
First week: 256.341
LTD: 1.025.664
Hardware: 3.725.999

Super mario 3d world wii u:

ComG! preorders (last day): 70 pt
First week: 106.967
LTD: 613.693
Hardware: 1.173.014

Yodobashi Akiba = 12 people (around 7:00)

YaGaMi

Good effort OP. I was lurking on here when we had daily sales charts around 2005. It's also what attracted me to this forum as I used to follow Magicbox sales before that Sales-age has changed over the years and I'm sure it will still survive. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom