• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the most hardcore gamer on the planet.

DrBo42 said:
TrackIR is a great tool for that sort of thing, but it's not widely used outside the flight sim genre.
Yeah, something like that. I still don't know how you'd substitute left click and right click. Maybe mouth movements? Anyway something like that must be developed.

Frostburn

Wow, good to see he can enjoy gaming if the custom control options are there. I know Valve is pretty good at making sure everyone can play their games and I hope others step up and do the same which it seems like Visceral Games is doing. Reminds me never to take for granted what I have.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I actually teared up a little. What an awesome dude, I wish I had a fraction of the determination he does.

Wow that's amazing...

I mean mouse 2 as walk that's such a good idea I should play like that since I don't like wasd

The guy is amazing too. That Man enjoys games like 100 times more than I do.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, what a twist.

I can stand behind his cause, for sure. Full customization of controls is a good thing, and there is no excuse for the lack of it in PC gaming. The word is out, well done.

Forkball

Simply amazing. Props to him for finding a way to enjoy games. If I was him, I would have a total troll username like, "I Just Fragged You With My Chin."

Seda said:
sorry if this is dumb but...

how does he type in his threads? if there some speech-to-text compatibility somewhere I'm not aware of?

speech to text has been around for a while...since the 90's. pretty sure windows 7 even has it built in

this is a great story. full customization is always cool, but accessibility is something that gaming could benefit from all together

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, watched the videos. BY FAR the most hardcore gamer I've ever seen. You can tell the guy must really love playing games.

Kimosabae

Banned
Preteee' good.

Preteee', preteeeeeeeeeeeee' goood.

larry-david.jpg

ghst

thanks for the laugh
RustyNails said:
Yeah, something like that. I still don't know how you'd substitute left click and right click. Maybe mouth movements? Anyway something like that must be developed.
while there are trackir-alikes and apps that enable it to be used directly for mouse control, as far as i gather the present ideal is to hook him up with "specialeffect", a charity who specialize in custom pieces of headtracking/eye-tracking tech for people with disabilities: http://www.specialeffect.org.uk/.

he has mentioned a couple of suggestions being prohibitively expensive, but given the current weight and presence of the story, i've no doubt he should be able to secure funding from any sizeable gaming related company with a functional pr department.

kylej

Banned
And lo, all my stupid problems fade away in their insignificance whenever I see stuff like this. God speed brother.

Teknoman

jim-jam bongs said:
Why? The dude's a boss, no need for sadness.

Seriously. If the guy can just play Dead Space with his head AND actually beat the game, he's the best gamer on the planet by default.

Why For?

Banned
Ben saying for years that customisable controls should be standard.

It makes zero sense for them not to be an option. Poor guy. Hopefully his story causes a shift

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Overcoming adversity to do something he loves, this guy is truly awesome.

Kudos to Visceral Games for responding.

nib95

Banned
Wow didn't realise the source was OcUK. Been posting and buying there for a while. Seen posts from him before but never realised he gamed in such a way. Anyway left a post on the board! Guys a great role model! :)

WEGGLES

I can't figure out why you wouldn't allow re-mapping in a game.

If someone wants to press 7 to go forward, esc to go backwards left shift to go right, and left control to go left... etc. why not?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I share his desire to see full control customization in all games.

Oh and this guy is incredible. Every once in a long while I wonder how I'd continue gaming if I were to ever lose the ability to use one or both of my hands. This guy shames imaginary disabled Jive Turkey.

thumbsup1.jpg

Very Heartwarming story, thanks for making this Thread OP.

and yeah! No shit about Visceral Games these days (that's 2 and 0 for them so far.) wish every developer had the same kind of care and concern for their customers/gamers.

It's a nice story. Amazing, actually.

I just quickly checked to my mouse software (logitech g700) and it lets you remap any button to any key or key combo except the left click. Don't know if autohotkey lets you mess with that stuff. But yeah, there shouldn't be the need for work around like that, and this is an extreme example to illustrate it.

J-Rzez

Incredible. I have much respect for that guy and his passion for gaming,and i'm glad to see the devs coming up to bat for his cause as well.

RoboPlato said:
Whoa, that's awesome. Does the guy elaborate on what other kinds of games he plays? I'd be curious as to what he likes. People like him also tend to be pretty good players once they adapt to how they need to control games. Also, Visceral has been knocking it out of the park when it comes to dealing with fans recently.

Know for a fact he plays Fallout New Vegas thanks to the recent news section for the game in Steam. :)

big_z said:
im still confused how he's able to play the games with his chin. you only got two buttons and mouse movement which is for most games not even close to enough buttons to do shit.

Three buttons, mouse wheel, and mouse movement, to be exact. I have a similar model of mouse that he has. :)

Dude's amazing, that's all there is to it. Even if he was horrible at a game, you can bet he gets far more enjoyment out of playing it than any of us jaded gamers could if we were the best there was at the same game. There's a lesson there I think.

Red

How the fu

This guy plays Dirt 2 better with his chin than I can with two working goddamn hands.

What a boss.

This is by FAR the best news I've read in all history of gaming.

Thanks OP.

Raise awareness of this guys! Word must be spread.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I.. didn't expect this. Holy crap, how heartwarming.

Holy shit at N0M4D owning shit in that video too.

Amazing, please bring this on OS level to consoles too.

Gribbix

Good story. Accessibility in games is an area that developers often neglect. While they can't completely alter mechanics to the detriment of the game, small things like completely customizable controls go a long way towards improving accessibility.

Here's a relevant story about the sort of things Sony's San Diego studio has done to make the upcoming iteration of MLB: The Show accessible for disabled gamers.
The 25-year-old baseball fanatic has cerebral palsy, making it impossible for him to play the game he loves in real life.

That didn't stop Smith from making the majors, though.

A few years ago, Smith wrote a letter to Sony's San Diego studio, the developers of the top-rated "MLB: The Show" series, and the producers were so moved by Smith's passionate words about baseball, the Cardinals and their video game, that Sony went ahead and created Smith's character in "MLB 10: The Show."

According to Smith, seeing the cyber version of himself gave him a feeling like never before. It was as if by some miracle his cerebral palsy ceased to exist nine innings at a time.

It's a feeling he wants to share with other disabled gamers.

Smith gets that chance in "MLB 11: The Show" as, thanks to the gamer's growing ties with Sony's development team, a new difficulty level has been added to the franchise that will make it possible for more gamers with disabilities to get their cracks at the plate against diamond kings like Tim Lincecum and Cliff Lee.

The mode is titled after a new organization Smith has created, the Association for Disabled Virtual Athletes, and the new feature makes it easier for gamers with disabilities to play, thanks to one-button controls. The computer takes over the action of running to the ball, so all you need to do is hit a button to throw to a base or swing the bat. This opens up "The Show" to even more kids like Smith who always dreamed of playing baseball, but for physical reasons beyond their control couldn't … until now.

There was a recent Gamasutra article on accessibility in games. This is what Mike Ambinder from Valve said on the topic:
Valve is highly-regarded in the disabled gaming community, particularly for their work with adaptive control devices.

"Most of the accommodations we make for disabled gamers (closed captioning/subtitles, colorblind mode, in-game pausing in single player, easier difficulty levels, re-mappable keys/buttons, open-microphones, mouse sensitivity settings, use of both mouse and keyboard and gamepads, etc.) stem from functionality added to improve the experience of both able and disabled gamers," Ambinder told us.

"For example, both groups of gamers benefit from the ability to pause Left 4 Dead 2 if they need to take a break or escape from the action, and the addition of subtitles allows all gamers to process the in-game dialogue/sound effects through an alternative visual medium if that is their preference.

"We may design for an optimum experience, but any accommodations we make to extend the accessibility of our games should benefit folks (both able and disabled) who choose to consume our content in an alternative fashion," Ambinder said. "For example, in the initial implementation of Left 4 Dead, there were no glows around the survivors indicating their location in-game. In our first experiments, we thought that verbal cues transmitted from other players would be enough to enable cooperation and to guide players to teammates in need.

"We soon found out that more information was required, as relative locations could not be adequately described in sufficient detail nor with sufficient speed to enable a cohesive experience. To remedy this, we added in the glows (visible through walls) which silhouette each teammate and provide a salient, visual cue to in-game location -- improving the communication between teammates for all gamers (and especially for gamers who have difficulty hearing or speaking)."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am still sitting here in awe. I'm truly moved by this story, and the outpouring of support in the original thread has restored my faith in humanity.

Why does this page not have 100 pages? This is beautiful.

Top Bottom