• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 2 & 3 - Rocking On with Rush and Blues

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
This lead to Mega Man 2 being a passion project by the staff of Mega Man 1 while they were working on various other games. What were some of those games? Why of course, the NES Classics Ducktails, Ducktails 2 and Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers.

Out of curiosity, where did this info come from? My understanding was that MM2 was developed as a side project while the same team was working on Pro Yakyuu! Satsujin Jiken, Capcom's bizarre baseball/murder mystery adventure game.

Out of curiosity, where did this info come from? My understanding was that MM2 was developed as a side project while the same team was working on Pro Yakyuu! Satsujin Jiken, Capcom's bizarre baseball/murder mystery adventure game.

I believe this is the case as well. It was something that was developed on the side in the teams spare time.
Incidentally I've got Pro Yakyuu on my list to play soon as part of my Capcom playthrough, it sounds like a really peculiar game from what I've read about it so far. Capcom really did release some strange Japanese exclusive Famicom games around the late 80's...

Shifty

Legit shocked that OP hasn't earned some sort of 'retrospective expert' tag from all these threads.

I just replayed Mega Man 2 today and halfway through 3... 2 is a breeze; it's pretty short and easy on Normal mode at least, but very fun.

3 is good too. The weapon menu is very fast in 3 which makes it smoother, but there is sometimes a lot of slowdown.

Also, just to clarify, in the Doc Robot stages, you get one checkpoint after the first one, and also a checkpoint just before the 2nd Doc, so you don't have to replay the 2nd half of the stage if you die on the 2nd Doc Robot.

RK128

I just replayed Mega Man 2 today and halfway through 3... 2 is a breeze; it's pretty short and easy on Normal mode at least, but very fun.

3 is good too. The weapon menu is very fast in 3 which makes it smoother, but there is sometimes a lot of slowdown.

Also, just to clarify, in the Doc Robot stages, you get one checkpoint after the first one, and also a checkpoint just before the 2nd Doc, so you don't have to replay the 2nd half of the stage if you die on the 2nd Doc Robot.

Thank you for the correction; must have mis-remembered during my time with both games. Will edit the OP right away, so thank you for the correction :).

There's a lot missing for Megaman 3.

I mean you have Protoman which you completely omitted.

You have Rush, which completely changes up the level design.

There are also a lot of cheats if you plug in a second controller on the NES version.

A lot of enemies have environmental effects from making the screen bag, to magnetism, to spinning MM around etc.

FIrst game where Megaman does that jump and get a weapon thing.

Same with the weapons., MM can paralyze enemies, also Gemini laser can bounce off walls.

Also the whole "2 fortress" thing technically by having you go and fight 8 more bosses through 4 levels before getting to the fortress.

I mean I am not sure what your reason is for putting MM2 and 3 together, but there's more differences between 2 and 3 than 3 and 4.

RK128

There's a lot missing for Megaman 3.

I mean you have Protoman which you completely omitted.

You have Rush, which completely changes up the level design.

There are also a lot of cheats if you plug in a second controller on the NES version.

A lot of enemies have environmental effects from making the screen bag, to magnetism, to spinning MM around etc.

FIrst game where Megaman does that jump and get a weapon thing.

Same with the weapons., MM can paralyze enemies, also Gemini laser can bounce off walls.

Also the whole "2 fortress" thing technically by having you go and fight 8 more bosses through 4 levels before getting to the fortress.

I mean I am not sure what your reason is for putting MM2 and 3 together, but there's more differences between 2 and 3 than 3 and 4.

Okay, thank you for all this information. I thought I covered 3 in a good light......but I will admit when I'm wrong.

I put them together as I figured they would make for a great compare/contrast situation but will avoid that for future Retrospectives (with some exceptions). But would you be okay with me adding your post to the OP? It has a lot of information :).

Okay, thank you for all this information. I thought I covered 3 in a good light......but I will admit when I'm wrong.

I put them together as I figured they would make for a great compare/contrast situation but will avoid that for future Retrospectives (with some exceptions). But would you be okay with me adding your post to the OP? It has a lot of information :).

Sure.

Top Bottom