• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

The wall cannon boss in Mega Man 2 haunted me for years. I never could figure out how to beat that darn thing in one go (without losing a life). Now it seems all so simple... On the plus side, I always loved the Wily bosses in 2, especially the final fight just for shock value (even if the attack pattern is so simple).

Are there any megaman x7 fan remakes?

None that I could find. It'd be perfect for a 2D "demake", well perfect in the sense that I really don't care for the PS2 version and I'd love to see how the game would be remade in 2D. Although not to the same extreme, I really loved the Mega Man 7 fan demake (8 bit, just like 1-6), I never did put enough time into the MM8 demake though, mainly due to me just not being a fan of the level design in that game.

And on the subject of fan games/demakes, does anyone know of any noteworthy ones that are worth playing? I'm going through grabbing a few doujin MM inspired games for my collection. Rosenkreuzstilette is probably my favourite of the bunch - its really well put together and has a brilliant soundtrack. Rockmen R is fairly decent as well even if its a bit rough round the edges (its a Roll focused game with 8 brand new bosses, and several returning characters featured for fortress bosses).

Blues1990

And on the subject of fan games/demakes, does anyone know of any noteworthy ones that are worth playing? I'm going through grabbing a few doujin MM inspired games for my collection. Rosenkreuzstilette is probably my favourite of the bunch - its really well put together and has a brilliant soundtrack. Rockmen R is fairly decent as well even if its a bit rough round the edges (its a Roll focused game with 8 brand new bosses, and several returning characters featured for fortress bosses).
Rokko Chan was a pretty solid Mega Man tribute game, & is pretty faithful to the NES MM games (with a few mechanics from the MMX games thrown in for good measure). It's worth a look if you want to give it a shot.

Rokko Chan was a pretty solid Mega Man tribute game, & is pretty faithful to the NES MM games (with a few mechanics from the MMX games thrown in for good measure). It's worth a look if you want to give it a shot.

Sweet, I'll be sure to give that one a look. Thanks :)

*edit* - Ok, gave Rokko Chan a try and I'm really digging the game. The level design is really good, nothing has jumped out as cheap yet, and the difficulty curve is just right for me. I managed to beat a couple of the bosses, with a little practice (and a pad instead of keys) I'll be able to beat the rest I bet. I really like the enemy/boss designs as well. Soundtrack is ace so far as well. All in all its a well designed little game and one I'd totally pick up physically if only it got a physical release (but all signs point to it being a flash only game).

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The wall cannon boss in Mega Man 2 haunted me for years. I never could figure out how to beat that darn thing in one go (without losing a life). Now it seems all so simple... On the plus side, I always loved the Wily bosses in 2, especially the final fight just for shock value (even if the attack pattern is so simple).

None that I could find. It'd be perfect for a 2D "demake", well perfect in the sense that I really don't care for the PS2 version and I'd love to see how the game would be remade in 2D. Although not to the same extreme, I really loved the Mega Man 7 fan demake (8 bit, just like 1-6), I never did put enough time into the MM8 demake though, mainly due to me just not being a fan of the level design in that game.

A slew of cool fan games have recently (and not so recently) come out, from Like Mega Man Unlimited, Rock Force, Super Fighting Robot, Revolution and a few more which I forget. Rokko Chan is good too.

Avoid Rockman R: Dr. Wily's Counterattack, Mega Man Paradise and Eternal, tho. Those are trash.

A slew of cool fan games have recently (and not so recently) come out, from Like Mega Man Unlimited, Rock Force, Super Fighting Robot, Revolution and a few more which I forget. Rokko Chan is good too.

Avoid Rockman R: Dr. Wily's Counterattack, Mega Man Paradise and Eternal, tho. Those are trash.

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look :)

I didn't have that many issues with Rockmen R though, I've already got and completed that one a while back. I thought it was an ok Rockman platformer. Not the most amazing thing I've ever played but I didn't find it awful either.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look :)

I didn't have that many issues with Rockmen R though, I've already got and completed that one a while back. I thought it was an ok Rockman platformer. Not the most amazing thing I've ever played but I didn't find it awful either.

I really didn't like Rockmen R it has lots of traps that you have to know how beforehand to survive, tiny Mets that can't be hit with normal shots, and the most bullshit spike drops I've seen in a while.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
I'd actually recommend everyone to hold off playing Revolution as of now. Not that it's a bad game but the re-release of that game will feature massive improvements including better stage design, music and Robot master designs.

EDIT - Just to add to the list of fangames to try, Dr. Wily's Final Attack is pretty good. The graphics and music aren't that great but the level design and weapon set more than make up for it.

I'd actually recommend everyone to hold off playing Revolution as of now. Not that it's a bad game but the re-release of that game will feature massive improvements including better stage design, music and Robot master designs.

EDIT - Just to add to the list of fangames to try, Dr. Wily's Final Attack is pretty good. The graphics and music aren't that great but the level design and weapon set more than make up for it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check Final Attack out and put Revolution on my list of games to check later (once its updated).

Meanwhile, I did try the latest beta of Mega Man 2.5 and I'm liking the progress made on that game on the whole. Its an interesting idea, not a fan of some of the design choices in the game though - mainly the over abundance of spikes in some levels (especially due to the level length) plus Shadow Man's boss fight feels wrong - the Shadow Blades are way harder to dodge now as they seem to be twice the size as normal.

Yousefb

What would you recommend to someone unfamiliar with the Megaman series between these titles?
- Megaman X
- Megaman Zero
- Megaman Zero 4

Been wanting to try it out and this is what's available on the Wii U eshop (not counting the BN and classic games).

Refyref

What would you recommend to someone unfamiliar with the Megaman series between these titles?
- Megaman X
- Megaman Zero
- Megaman Zero 4

Been wanting to try it out and this is what's available on the Wii U eshop (not counting the BN and classic games).

I love the Zero games, but they're definitely not good starting points. X is a good place to start, so I'd say start with that one. (If the classic series isn't an option.)

Yousefb

I love the Zero games, but they're definitely not good starting points. X is a good place to start, so I'd say start with that one. (If the classic series isn't an option.)
Thank you! It's not that classic series is not an option per se, it's just that I like the more stylized look for X/Zero. But if there are any classic games that you recommend playing before jumping into X then I'm all ears.

Edit: To me this is like the Castlevania series in the sense that I've always known the franchise but never played it growing up. Later I decided to try Dawn of Sorrow and that eventually lead me down the rabbit hole of endless amazing CV games old and new. It became one of my favorite ever franchises. I think if I give Megaman a chance there will be a similar experience. Plus, both series have kickass music.

Refyref

Thank you! It's not that classic series is not an option per se, it's just that I like the more stylized look for X/Zero. But if there are any classic games that you recommend playing before jumping into X then I'm all ears.

Edit: To me this is like the Castlevania series in the sense that I've always known the franchise but never played it growing up. Later I decided to try Dawn of Sorrow and that eventually lead me down the rabbit hole of endless amazing CV games old and new. It became one of my favorite ever franchises. I think if I give Megaman a chance there will be a similar experience. Plus, both series have kickass music.

I usually recommend starting with Mega Man 2 on normal (AKA easy) mode, mostly because I think it has the best difficulty curve in the series, but it does have a troublesome boss late in the game, and X is quite good in that regard too. Many people recommend starting with X, I just recommend the classic series first so people can appreciate what it does with its more limited mechanics. Both are good options, and if the 8-bit graphics aren't your cup of tea, then go for X.

I usually recommend starting with Mega Man 2 on normal (AKA easy) mode, mostly because I think it has the best difficulty curve in the series, but it does have a troublesome boss late in the game, and X is quite good in that regard too. Many people recommend starting with X, I just recommend the classic series first so people can appreciate what it does with its more limited mechanics. Both are good options, and if the 8-bit graphics aren't your cup of tea, then go for X.

I agree with this. Either that or try Mega Man 5, because I still believe that its the easiest of the games in the entire classic series (and maybe the series as a whole). I was giving the 3DS Collection a try yesterday and I managed to max my lives out before I even finished the first stage!
Plus the bosses on that game seem fairly easy going even if you just use the Mega Buster.

Always start with MMX or MM2 with X being the preferred starting point imo. Some people might find mm2 a bit too slow and archahic, x stands the test of time imo.

Sciz

I agree with this. Either that or try Mega Man 5, because I still believe that its the easiest of the games in the entire classic series (and maybe the series as a whole). I was giving the 3DS Collection a try yesterday and I managed to max my lives out before I even finished the first stage!
Plus the bosses on that game seem fairly easy going even if you just use the Mega Buster.

MM5 was intentionally tuned to be easy for players new to the series.

X1's a fine place to start, though.

SkyOdin

I also think that Mega Man X is probably the best starting point for anyone to get into the Mega Man series. It is simply a really well-designed game that is very beginner friendly. The fortress can be kinda tough at times, but the game gives you a lot of tools to work with.

Now, the Zero series is probably the peak of the Mega Man platformers, but you probably should play through all four games in order, and Zero 1 is not a good game to start with. It is a great game, but it is demanding. It uses a different extra life/continue system than the rest of the series, and isn't really indicative of how the rest of the series works.

Rhapsody

Banned
- Megaman X
- Megaman Zero
- Megaman Zero 4

Definitely MMX. The learning curve is pretty nice and the level design is pretty good at easing players (especially since this is jumping from Classic). Out of the Zero games I feel like MMZ3 has the best balance, but I wouldn't pass up on playing that series in order for story and gameplay reasons.

Put off MMZ series until later. It does a lot of cool things to sort of betray expectations from people familiar with the X series too, haha.

Tizoc

tumblr_o3hpw1fpRR1rpeq1jo1_1280.png

http://inkerton-kun.tumblr.com/post/140418350052/i-had-to-drop-everything-i-was-doing-and-draw

Note to self: Grab the NDS Zero collection someday.

Rhapsody

Banned
Speaking of X games, with SNES VC on N3DS, this will be the first time we'll be able to play the original SNES X games on handheld?
Took awhile but we finally got there.

I was visiting my Mom's house before she sold her house, and I put most of my DS games in a case, but I ran out of room and stupidly put the Mega Man Zero Collection in a box for storage. Now I want to play it, but I don't know when I'll be able to get it back in my possession.

Tizoc

If there's one thing that the Archie Megaman comic has shown, it's that the original design still holds up.
I mean if it ain't broke, why fix it?

SkyOdin

If there's one thing that the Archie Megaman comic has shown, it's that the original design still holds up.
I mean if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I don't know, I think the Mega Man franchise characters could serve to be redesigned more often. Zero in particular has needed a new design for a while now. His original design has always been terrible, and while he looks good in the Zero series, that design is too simple to work for a game with a bigger resolution or character close-ups. The redesign that X got in Command Mission resulted in his best design ever.

b4mv

Banned
There was a big update for a fan made Megaman Battle Network game recently. You can read about Demo 5 of Megaman Battle Network: Chrono X here

There are some pictures and video if you follow the link, I'll just quote the update here for people who don't want to click.

Note: This is not a romhack, this is a full remake in Game Maker that they have been working on for years. Demo 4 available to play right now as well. It's an amazing accomplishment really.

Demo 5 Announced!
What is Demo 5?

Demo 5 will be Chrono X's newest, and biggest public release. It will contain Chapters 1,2 and 3, along with online multiplayer, in addition to any and all fixes we've made to the overall game. It can be expected to last 6-8 hours depending on how much time you spend doing the 10 optional quests. This isn't counting your time going online, of course. wink

Demo 5? But what about Demo 4.1?

Demo 4.1's release will be replaced with Demo 5.

Going by the video, you said online/multiplayer mode is done?

Essentially, yes, it is. If we were to release Demo 4.1, it would be out in under a month. Everything major that we wanted to put in is done, it would just need to be tested heavily.

Why did multiplayer take so long?

That question is a bit more complicated. You see, during Chrono X's development, the fine folks at YoYoGames (creator of Game Maker) released a new version of their product: Game Maker Studio. During Demo 4's release, we were using Game Maker 8.x. YoYoGames would eventually stop supporting Game Maker 8.x and move onto Game Maker Studio. Switching over to Game Maker Studio would have meant a massive rewrite of the game's core engines and systems, so we decided to stick to 8.x

However, it was also found out that during Demo 4.1's development that Game Maker 8.x had serious...issues with regards to memory management and lots of errors left inside the software that made developing a full-fledged Battle Network game essentially impossible. I don't want to get too technical, but if you know how big these games actually are, then you would understand why poor memory management is a big deal. Max tried his best to work around them, but if the tool is broken, there's only so much that can be done. To add ANOTHER reason, Game Maker 8.x wasn't fully compatible with Windows 8, nor Windows 10.

So we dropped several hundred dollars and got Max the software he needed to continue the project. But like I said, switching over to Game Maker Studio forced a massive rewrite of the entire game. Yup. The whole game was rewritten from scratch by Max, and Max alone. I'm sure that'll eat time like nobody's business.

Max was also periodically dealing with health problems, too. In fact, as I type this, he's in bed with a fever. He'll bounce back, but it has come up more than its fair share.

That sucks. Did multiplayer need a rewrite?

Yes. Several times, actually. It did have to get rewritten during the switch to Studio, so that was a huge setback right there. But it was a necessary setback, since now, the system can handle user connections at much higher speeds.

We decide to add online matchmaking as additional functionality to the game. There will still be a Battle Network Friend system where you can trade with your buddies like we revealed before. But now you'll also be able to play without needing to have a friend on. And you won't need Hamachi!

Here's a preview screenshot.

So, when do you think Demo 5 will come out?

We will try to aim for a Fall release. However, everything will need to get tested heavily, particularly the online component. Expect to hear more information as Max works on that part of the game. Plus, there are still some things that we want to add to the game to make it a more complete experience for you guys. If we were to release Demo 4.1, it would be super soon, so please don't think we didn't do any work. smile

How about the full game?

It's important to recognize that development on the full-game happens at the same time as development on the demos. You guys already have a healthy 4-6 hour experience right now, but I'm always thinking of the next step. I'm always thinking about the bigger picture. Working solely on the demos just serves to give you tunnel vision -- that's why you see us work on multiple aspects of the game at a time. In fact, take a look at this picture from Facebook:

A chip like this won't even come into play until late-game. We have a very open-ended approach to game development, so you don't need to worry if something is getting done. Something is always getting done, even if it doesn't affect you immediately.

Will the development be stable?

It will be fine, don't worry about it. We're too stubborn to quit. Though it make take longer than we expect, it will get there. Just remember, if you guys want to speed up the development process, please send any and all excellent pixel artists our way. Art is usually the bottleneck, and with more skilled artists, we crank out parts of the game faster.

What about the Android version?

The Android version has progressed much since you may have last heard of it. In fact, we will be releasing Demo 5 on Android as well as PC! However, the PC version will be released first, and after we iron out any potential issues, we'll roll out the Android version.

What's so interesting about Chapter 3?

I'll just leave this here:

And now I'll take my leave. For those of you who still support the project, thank you so much! We'll be doing a HUGE marketing campaign when we release a teaser trailer, or when the next demo releases. I will be calling on you guys to help with that. Remember, a bigger fanbase means more players playing online, and that is a win for everyone.

Long live Chrono X!

Teknoman

So whats the best place to grab Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide: The Complete Epic?

Totally forgot about this, and now that I see there is a complete volume purchase, I kinda want it.

Especially with this cover:
61LSjNHp7JL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tizoc

So I've started Megaman X3 and I'm curious: What do you think of the soundtracks of the first 3 games: just the first 3 games.
IMO X1 is the best, all the tracks are great and have a neat metal/rock n roll vibe to them.

With X2 and X3....the music got weird, I think it's the hardware cuz I just find some stage tracks to be pretty dour. Like take Blizzard Buffalo's theme, it's pretty morbid and gloomy-like.

Sciz

The compositions in all three games are great, although I prefer the instrumentation of 2 and 3 over 1.

You're not wrong about SNES Blizzard Buffalo, though. It's a haunting piece, but that lead sample is grating. Arranged version brings it to life much better.

The first X is the best, of course, but I'd put X3 over X2... I dunno, some of X2's tracks just seem too short for their own good, and it kind of gets to me.

Though outside of those three, X4 is probably above either of those two. Particularly with how the Saturn version loops the music (unlike every other version, for some reason)!

1upsuper

I really need to finish the Zero series. Over the last year or so I've replayed the Classic and X series (well, up through X5 which is as far as I'll probably ever go) and now I want to get back to Zero. I ploughed through 1-3 and got burned out by the time I hit the end of 3/start of 4. Wonder if I should start from the beginning and risk burnout again or continue where I left off. Zero games feel so damn good to play and they're probably my favorites after X1 and Classic 3 but I was always a bit perturbed at how many interesting items and stuff they give you that locks content away if you use them.

There are some good compositions on 2-3 but the sound quality is really bad comparing to the first one.

Also, the boss theme of X3 hunts me in my nightmares.

Sciz

I really need to finish the Zero series. Over the last year or so I've replayed the Classic and X series (well, up through X5 which is as far as I'll probably ever go) and now I want to get back to Zero. I ploughed through 1-3 and got burned out by the time I hit the end of 3/start of 4. Wonder if I should start from the beginning and risk burnout again or continue where I left off. Zero games feel so damn good to play and they're probably my favorites after X1 and Classic 3 but I was always a bit perturbed at how many interesting items and stuff they give you that locks content away if you use them.

Z4 is legitimately my favorite one of the series. Never have understood all the shade people throw at it.

Tizoc

OK seriously these bosses in X3 are needlessly tough.
Byte is easier if you got the Leg Upgrade to Up Dash at the right time and keep him in his pattern.
Vile only has like 2 attacks.

This game has LOTS of collectable upgrades, ironically enough, the final boss I'll take on is Blast Hornet, whose stage holds the FIRST UNLOCKABLE Ride Armor.

OK seriously these bosses in X3 are needlessly tough.
Byte is easier if you got the Leg Upgrade to Up Dash at the right time and keep him in his pattern.
Vile only has like 2 attacks.

This game has LOTS of collectable upgrades, ironically enough, the final boss I'll take on is Blast Hornet, whose stage holds the FIRST UNLOCKABLE Ride Armor.

It makes x3 a game where you play for the most efficient order of powers to get upgrades and beat bit/byte/vile with the correct weapons. It can even be worth suiciding after getting a power up in a stage as to not kill 2 bosses and trigger the 3 from spawning.

Tizoc

The first Doppler Stage
Those crushing walls
I can't
How did I beat this the first time I played it years ago?

If anything, watching videos of people playing Mega Maker has made me want to replay the NES Mega Man games. It's been far too long since I played them last.

Tizoc

Welp that's X3 over and done with.
Sigma's final form was freakin' tough! I've got mixed impressions about the game; I find the Ride Armors mostly useless, and overall the OST grew on me. Listening to it in the original 16 bit quality...yeah it sounds really weird for the most part.

At least Doppler Stage theme is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgSCHt4c4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m50ZidEsgY

Hmm 16-bit ver. sounds better, but I agree that Zero's X3 theme is pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONtmANigj-I

So if I were to rank the games so far I'd saaaaaaaaaaaaay
X1>X2>X3

Now should I go into Rockman 7 and Forte? I got the latter as a GBA cart.

Welp that's X3 over and done with.
Sigma's final form was freakin' tough! I've got mixed impressions about the game; I find the Ride Armors mostly useless, and overall the OST grew on me. Listening to it in the original 16 bit quality...yeah it sounds really weird for the most part.

At least Doppler Stage theme is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgSCHt4c4A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m50ZidEsgY

Hmm 16-bit ver. sounds better, but I agree that Zero's X3 theme is pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONtmANigj-I

So if I were to rank the games so far I'd saaaaaaaaaaaaay
X1>X2>X3

Now should I go into Rockman 7 and Forte? I got the latter as a GBA cart.

If you can play mm&b play the snes version if at all possible. The smaller screen of the gba version makes the game harder then it should be.

Top Bottom