• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Tizoc

^Smuggest Mavercik
So, I've been getting curious about the Archie Mega Man comic. I wouldn't mind getting into it, but what is the best way to? I checked their website, and while a lot of the graphic novels are on sale right now, the first one is sold out. :( Do they restock those graphic novels regularly, or do I need to resort to digital?

Digital or buying the books is a good way to go!
If you have an iPad, the app used to read them is good. I personally like to get the books also since I'm an oldy dude ;D

I understand a large part of the answer of, "Which MM is your favorite/the best" has to do with which one you played first as a kid. I owned MM2 and beat it a dozen times, and never ever played another MM game until I was in college (PS2 Anniversary Collection). So I understand I have rose tinted glasses on why that's the best one.

I have a really hard time understanding why people appreciate MM3 so much. The levels designs are just.... boring. I'm sure I could go into more detail, but they have less "stage gimmicks'. I'm also at a loss for how boring the boss powers are.

Someone tell me: What is the point of Top Spin? I do not understand. There must be something that I am missing.

There's at least 2 or 3 good uses for the Top Spin, and naturally there's at least 2 late game bosses weak to it, but yeah, it never feels right. Always hit enemies from above and to the side with it, about all I can tell you.

MM3 is a very good game and the Doc Robot stages are some of the best in the classic series. The Wily stages are junk though, both level design and presentation, that's what knocks it down for me.

Personally I like 4 better because of the weapons and it's the first well balanced classic MM, but the normal boss stages aren't any better than 3 and of course everyone hates it because it introduces the charge shot. I feel it has the best fortress stages and music, so it's the first in the series to finish strong.

9 I feel is the best because it gets what was right about 2 and 4 while not turning a blind eye to progress. The music wasn't as good as 2, but the controls were better and the weapons both better and more balanced.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Doc Robot Stages and Boss Fights are among the best in the series. They really did drop the ball on the Wily Stages though, throwing E-Tanks and extra lives out like candy with easy ass bosses, short stages that really aren't punishing.

It's definitely behind 2 and 9 and ahead of everything else though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just curious, does anyone here have good recommendations on controllers for XBox 360 for MM9 and MM10?

Either a SF IV fightpad or one of those 360 regular controllers with the fixed d-pad, though those still suck they won't fight against you like the regular ones.

A friend wanted help getting cheevos and didn't have either so I suffered through it. Can you use the stick instead? It's still better than the d-pad, but I can't remember if the 360 version uses it or not.

Rhapsody

Banned
I understand a large part of the answer of, "Which MM is your favorite/the best" has to do with which one you played first as a kid. I owned MM2 and beat it a dozen times, and never ever played another MM game until I was in college (PS2 Anniversary Collection). So I understand I have rose tinted glasses on why that's the best one.

I have a really hard time understanding why people appreciate MM3 so much. The levels designs are just.... boring. I'm sure I could go into more detail, but they have less "stage gimmicks'. I'm also at a loss for how boring the boss powers are.

Someone tell me: What is the point of Top Spin? I do not understand. There must be something that I am missing.

Top Spin can be ridiculously strong. You can easily blow through stages with it if you space it right. The weapon was neat since it was like the weakest yet best weapon in the game lol

Also I enjoyed MM3's weapons as a whole. Shadow was definitely a more balanced version of Metal Blades. Gemini had it's uses (using it on the ladder when revisiting Spark, etc). All the weapons might not be as useful as 2 and 9, but they offered enough variety without being too strong imo.

Level design, I'm mixed on. I don't think they're bad at all, but I don't think they're the best. I like some of them more than MM9's, but I think the parts where you revisit the stages are sort of a hit or miss. They feel Lost Levels-ish and are way harder than the Wily Stages. MM3 was rushed, and I can see it here.

I think on the stage where you revisit Gemini's stage, I recall the player needing to use Rush Coil/Jet after the first boss? If you didn't have any left, I think there was nothing you could do about it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I guess I need to see some videos of Top Spin in action, maybe speed running or something it has its uses. I'm sure there's something there that makes it valuable, I am just not able to figure it out on my own.

Either a SF IV fightpad or one of those 360 regular controllers with the fixed d-pad, though those still suck they won't fight against you like the regular ones.

A friend wanted help getting cheevos and didn't have either so I suffered through it. Can you use the stick instead? It's still better than the d-pad, but I can't remember if the 360 version uses it or not.

You can use the 360 stick but I find it too imprecise.

So one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M241L4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ?

I actually rather like the main stages in MM3 but always end up dropping the game at the Doc Robot stages, so I guess I'm like Nega-everyone

I'd say all of MM1-10+B are good/fun to play even if some are more/less fun then others. The only Mega Man games I'd truly describe as "not good" are MMX6, MMX7, and MMBN Chip Challenge which I'll be honest I barely played but remember hating.

wwm0nkey

I'd say all of MM1-10+B are good/fun to play even if some are more/less fun then others. The only Mega Man games I'd truly describe as "not good" are MMX6, MMX7, and MMBN Chip Challenge which I'll be honest I barely played but remember hating.

Most people tend to ignore Chip Challenge lol

Refyref

Add Rockman World 2, the WonderSwan game, MMBN4, and the DOS games named "Mega Man" and "Mega Man 3", and that is probably the full list.

But all of the main games are worth playing.

Edit: To join in on the MM3 conversation, I find the Doc Robot stages pretty flawed. One of them even has a part that almost reaches Boobeam Trap in stupidity.

Weiss

Banned
That's honestly an opinion I really really rarely see, but I'm not here to discuss that, I'm here to post this

tumblr_nmjxlcFOqY1qituqxo1_540.jpg

Holy crap, Serges/Sagesse is going to be in this?

God I hope we get an X series out of this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Fuck, Mega Man 9.

I recently got the urge to fire up this game since I haven't played it since release on WiiWare. Holy shit. Do yall remember thee Wily Castle stages? FUCK.

Let's talk about stage 1. Those three fire towers that you have to concrete as platforms. That's brutal. Luckily I watched a speed runner use rush jet and that made it easier...

Then stage 2. You know that jump in the water in the spikes where you have to jump on the last pixel of the platform or you hit your head on the ceiling and die on the spikes? That is the most devious jump in the entire game. Why? Ugh.

Then stage 3. Remember that crane asshole you carries you into the spikes during the floating part? Yeah, what an asshole.

Then finally, Willys first form. I can't for the life of me figure out the pattern to consistently hit the soccer balls back into the robots mouth. I just want to shove his balls in his mouth and I cant. It's the most frustrating thing in the whole game.

I really love MM9, best game after 2, but damn Willys castle is brutal. Challenging but fair. Except Willys balls.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
None of the bosses are that bad but the actual castle levels are the hardest in the series. 10 is also good like this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
None of the bosses are that bad but the actual castle levels are the hardest in the series. 10 is also good like this.

I agree. I even liked the Yellow Devil remix boss. But seriously, any tips on how to handle Willys balls in the first form? I seriously died like five times and used an energy tank. I haven't finished the game yet (since the first time I played it) because I made it to the final form with no lives or E tanks remaining.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's all practice, you get the bounce patterns down.

It's a remarkably fair boss because it is hard to learn but doesn't use weapon energy at all for that form and you'll eventually get good enough to do it without getting hit.

Hey maybe you guys could help me out with this. A friend of my just happened to come into possession of full set of mint condition Rockman X playing cards from 1996. I've never seen these before ever. We both looked all over the internet and found nothing on them. These are official playing cards. He's wondering if they are worth anything or they are just trash. Do you guys have any knowledge of these cards?

CCzqd1LW8AApMzg.jpg

Those look cool, post more. I want to see the art! Are they licensed by Capcom?

Yes they are. They don't belong to me so I can't just get pictures whenever I want though. I'm surprised by the lack of information about these cards though. No one seems to have ever even heard of them, here and on other forums. I've found no duplicates in my searching of the internet either.

Tizoc

Ah wait weren't there a few other .exe games that didn't get localized too? Like that one NDS games that was a remake of .exe 1 I think?

I also recall there being a Gamecube .exe game that didn't get localized or did it?

Ah wait weren't there a few other .exe games that didn't get localized too? Like that one NDS games that was a remake of .exe 1 I think?

I also recall there being a Gamecube .exe game that didn't get localized or did it?

The NDS one is Operation Shooting Star and the GC one came out as Megaman Network Transmission. I bought an used copy of it and actually liked way more than I tough I would. Good gameplay and some pretty amazing tunes, like this one

Besides the already mentioned games there's a lot of cellphone games and ports that we never got ranging from the usual cheap phone game to a port of MM1 with playable Roll to something entirely new like EXE Phantom of the Network

Refyref

There's also a Mega Man & Bass game (unrelated to the SFC one) that wasn't released in English, but being a WonderSwan game, it's not like that was an option. Although considering that it was a horrible piece of crap, you're missing out on nothing. (I think it might have even been developed by the people that made Rockman World 2.)

Tizoc

Quickman best Robot Master;
Be re-programed and lose what made that robot their own personality and be re-purposed, or to be de-activated-
iwTIM45.jpg

Apenheul

Since there's a community topic I don't need to create a LTTP. So I've been playing the NES Mega Man games in order this year, I'm taking my time between games though to prevent burning out on the series.

Mega Man 1 was short but really fun, the levels for the most part don't really rely on one particular gimmick which I like because I can just use whichever weapon I like best. Yellow Devil was tough for the first 10 times I reached him but once you get the pattern down (and I'm usually counting aloud so I know when to do a low or high jump) he's actually pretty easy.

Mega Man 2 was better than the first IMO, mostly because it was more of everything and a stunning OST to top it off. It's also the easiest game among the first four Mega Mans. I tried to use the Metal Blade as little as possible because I think it breaks the game completely, which is also my biggest gripe with MM2.

Mega Man 3 improves on the formula yet again; longer and more interesting levels. More bosses (MM2 bosses make a return too as does Yellow Devil), generic item 1-2-3 have been replaced by Rush which doesn't really change the gameplay but it gives the game a little more character. I like the bosses less than in MM2 but the levels and weapons are better IMO. All in all I think among the first four games this is my favorite.

Mega Man 4 I finished just today and.. I didn't like it. I liked parts of it but on a whole I thought it was a rather mediocre game. The level design is the biggest offender; in the early stages you often run into a situation that was very clearly designed around a particular weapon or it relies on a one-off gimmick (that MM2 and MM3 also did but in this case it seemed too forced to me). After three excellent games the bosses didn't surprise me much and the weapon selection was more balanced than in MM2 and MM3 but at the same time less varied.

I hope Mega Man 5 and 6 are a little better..

Oh wow I only just noticed Spring's leg there. This issue was so good, and it even turned the scrapped female version of Hornet Man into its own character. Seeing these issues end with "if you wanna know what happens next play Mega Man 4!" just makes me sad.

Tizoc

So far it's run was GREAT, you can always go back and re-read the characterization and see the love Ian and co. poured into the comic :)

I honestly wouldn't mind if future game story arcs happened as 4 issue mini series that are released annually for example, but whatever is going on over at Archie is...

Krelian

I could use your help, guys. I recently got these Mega Man mini figures:

But I don't know anything about them. Can't find anything on the internet either. They each have a Capcom copyright so I think they're official. Since they kind of look angry I assume they were made for the US market :) They're about 6cm/2.4in high (except Beat of course). Would appreciate any info on them!

Megaman games are the best. They're really fun. I like the game boy games (II and IV) and I'm looking forward to the Legacy Collection 3DS.

Refyref

Megaman games are the best. They're really fun. I like the game boy games (II and IV) and I'm looking forward to the Legacy Collection 3DS.

Huh, not many people like Rockman World 2. 4 is indeed great, though. I'm although looking forward to the 3DS version of the collection, although I'm still not quite sure what the collection's quality was, being made by ex-Backbone and all. But since I already have proper versions of those games on my 3DS, I have nothing to lose if the collection is bad.

Huh, not many people like Rockman World 2. 4 is indeed great, though. I'm although looking forward to the 3DS version of the collection, although I'm still not quite sure what the collection's quality was, being made by ex-Backbone and all. But since I already have proper versions of those games on my 3DS, I have nothing to lose if the collection is bad.

Rockman World 2 is the only GB one I own, and I like that it's pretty easy for a Mega Man game. It does have some flaws, it doesn't have the charge shot, and it lacks polish, but I still find it pretty fun.

The only NES games I have on my 3DS are 1 and 4. I might get the others on the VC since I don't want to wait for three months, and I like them all.

I downloaded and played through megaman 5 tonight. It's a pretty fun one. I just wish I was a little better player. I cheese through using save states to repeat tough parts and bosses. The dark man robots were hard. I also look up weaknesses on the megaman wikia.

Now to decide which one to buy next...

Edit: I decided to get Megaman 2 and I've been playing through that. I'm at the boss rush now, so I'm almost done. Fun game. One of my favorite classics.

Sorry for double posting, but I just love Mega Man so much. It's a bummer that this thread isn't a little more active...

I've played through all the NES games on my 3DS as well as Game Boy II, IV, and V. V is pretty good because it has all new Robot Masters called Stardroids. It's pretty hard though.

I've been memorizing all the names of the Robot masters from each NES game and I think I can name pretty much all of them. Some of them are hard to remember though. That's almost 50 Robot Masters!

Also...new Mega Man avatar.

Refyref

Sorry for double posting, but I just love Mega Man so much. It's a bummer that this thread isn't a little more active...

I've played through all the NES games on my 3DS as well as Game Boy II, IV, and V. V is pretty good because it has all new Robot Masters called Stardroids. It's pretty hard though.

I've been memorizing all the names of the Robot masters from each NES game and I think I can name pretty much all of them. Some of them are hard to remember though. That's almost 50 Robot Masters!

Also...new Mega Man avatar.

Nice one, too!
V having all new content was a great move by then. It would be nice if they made more smaller sized games. Although I guess the Xtreme games were a continuation of that.

Now you need to play 7!

Nice one, too!
V having all new content was a great move by then. It would be nice if they made more smaller sized games. Although I guess the Xtreme games were a continuation of that.

Now you need to play 7!

I don't have a way to play 7 right now. I did just order Mega Man and Bass yesterday though, so I will be trying that one.

Refyref

I don't have a way to play 7 right now. I did just order Mega Man and Bass yesterday though, so I will be trying that one.

Oh. Well, play it when you have the option to! Going by the fact that you can play &B but not 7, I'm guessing you're playing the GBA version? I don't think it's an awful port like some do, but keep in mind the smaller field of view will make some parts tougher.

Top Bottom