• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

BlueWord

Serenade said:
Well actually the last bit of footage we got was from the director and producer doing a quick playthrough of what we were going to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4TtXTWhYA

It's not direct feed but it's great quality.

This game looks so great. Seeing things like this is what really makes that whole "it wasn't up to the quality we expected" explanation look like a load of crap.

Which it is, of course, but this only drives it home further.

Drkirby said:
Is it crazy that I think this may actually be a marketing stunt still?
It just took ONE blog post, and they almost quadrupled their marketing in under a week. For free. On purpose or not, the game's a much better position to launch. Your move Capcom.

sfried said:
Already reaching 10K.
Surpassed it!

Mega Man Legends 3 Programming Director Encourages Fans

If you're taking part in the fan movement to get Capcom to reinstate the Mega Man Legends 3 project, you'll be happy to know that your cries are not going unheard. Writing at Twitter today, the game's programming director Yoshiyuki Fujikawa said that he's personally interested in seeing how things turn out.

While saying that he's not in a position to wish petitioners good luck, he said that he will offer a feeling of support. He also appears to have a positive outlook on the chances of the petition getting notice, saying that perhaps the message will get through if fans show a lot of interest. He also recalled an instance when such fan activities lead to the release of a Nadesico DVD.

While Fujikawa doesn't make any statements about the possibility of the project being revived, it should at the very least be of some comfort to see someone so central to the project taking notice.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/28/legends_3_programmer/

Sammy Samusu said:
w3ahS.gif

Roto13

The team didn't cancel the game in the first place. The team always wanted to make Mega Man Legends 3. The team's wishes don't really matter.

wwm0nkey

Roto13 said:
The team didn't cancel the game in the first place. The team always wanted to make Mega Man Legends 3. If the team's wishes mattered, it never would have been cancelled in the first place.
I know but its nice that they know we are supporting them.

Boney said:
oh fuck don't link me that guy

here's the prototype trailer http://youtu.be/nSzzXnv5JYo

here's mission 1, 2 and 3
http://youtu.be/13waqYSKZAY
http://youtu.be/GVblq9nYNOM
http://youtu.be/7FvVwfGwKEo

Dat PSOne geometry.

You never can judge a game from early footage, all the rough edges could just be placeholder content that is going to receive a complete overhaul or it could not change very much at all. Judging by CAPCOM's work method I guess the latter would be more likely.

Everything in the footage seen so far looks so dated with the exception of the faces of character models which have some good cell shading going on putting them way above their PSOne counterparts. As for everything else, looks just as clunky as the PSOne games.

Everything from the rigid combat and movement mechanics to the lackluster stiffness of character animations during movement and combat not to mention the very boxy and sterile world geometry.

All that is needed is to throw into this mix dungeons with the same boring square hallway maze layout as the PSOne originals and absolutely none of the things that make me look back on those older games as being passable would have changed in this 3DS sequel.

Again, early footage and all, but given the series history, and CAPCOM's work methods, I doubt these things would have changed much for the better by the time the game would have shipped.

Heck, I would have still bought it if that were the case, but I would have been dissapoint...

http://youtu.be/oEW6pueOkDg?t=7m38s

Ehhhh, I dunno, the Legends 3 gameplay videos obviously have significantly better lighting and textures (did the old Legends games have more than like 20 textures anyway?) and the gameplay and animation look more fluid as well I think.

I mean, it's obvious that it plays very similarly, but I don't think the idea was to abandon the overall feel and game design, just make an updated but mostly samey sequel.

I don't think the intent was to ever make a game to impress people who weren't satisfied with the previous games. For all we know that may be part of the reason why people internal to Capcom were nervous about the project.

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Heck, I would have still bought it if that were the case, but I would have been dissapoint...
The town was the only thing that worried me (along with a spastic camera). Yeah, it looked barren in many spots with low texture and poly count, but I wonder if it's just due to the area being so large. Either way, much of it looks like an improvement to the original Legends. I thought the Bonne boss fight looked pretty good. I'd say something about the Reaverbot AI, but I'd assume we'd see more aggressive enemies later on. It looks really satisfying to shoot at them though.

Also, regardless of it's final quality, I just want it. I want it in my veins.

Zen

Banned
I always figured that it was a function of the the size of the environment, wanting to make sure that the game ran well, and finally that this was a prototype and the project hadn't entered full production. Just looking at it, it does look like a throwback to the PS1 heritage, but at the same time what ever we would have gotten would have probably had a very nice amount of visual polish in the end.

The camera seemed a little spastic, but the lock on seemed to focus things well enough. As far as the gameplay itself went, the character seemed to have a large mount of moves available (running, dashing in any direction, rolling, jumping, flaming air surfboard thing, melee that allowed for air launching, and climbing) that I don't think it would have ended up clunky.

Although I wonder if MegaMan would have had all those same abilities?

Serenade said:
Basically.
The real news here is that we finally have confirmation that Capcom of Japan is internally aware of the uproar. The fact that someone on the team spoke on the matter is reassuring to the hope that the decision isn't final yet. If the members knew that Capcom was done on the matter, they'd know to stay silent.

Zen said:
Although I wonder if MegaMan would have had all those same abilities?
I was thinking about that too.... My guess is Megaman would control where his jet skates = Barrets dash, Megaman's High Jump = Barret's wall climb, Megaman's special weapons/charge shot maybe = Barret's firekick/close combat. (oh yeah, Barret looks kind of dumb when he does the fire kick, hoping they fix that pose..)

wwm0nkey

Reddit just changed their gaming logo into Megaman :lol

Wonder if this will also draw some attention to the 100,000 strong page at all.

Maybe if that reddit logo linked to it.

And holy shit at the 3DS price drop. I just found out about it, and it has my imagination doing backflips. Backflips which include an explosion in 3DS sales, which will catch Capcom's eye leading them to reevaluate their 3DS support to include a certain game...

Oh yes. I'm reaching for the stars. Here's to hoping.

qq more

SwiftSketcher said:
Maybe if that reddit logo linked to it.

And holy shit at the 3DS price drop. I just found out about it, and it has my imagination doing backflips. Backflips which include an explosion in 3DS sales, which will catch Capcom's eye leading them to reevaluate their 3DS support to include a certain game...

Oh yes. I'm reaching for the stars. Here's to hoping.
Same here.

Zen

Banned
I don't care if Capco Japan saves face by blaming the initial cancellation on lazy westerners, what ever it takes.

Speaking of does anyone here know how to contact the owner of the group directly? Apparently people have had a hard time getting a hold of him.

Servbot Count > #010731
Devgroup Member Count: 12405 Members (About to overtake Tatsunoko vs. Capcom)
Facebook Likes: will cross 34 000 in the hour.

I think one element that isn't getting enough attention on the FB page is the mail in campaign with the postcards. I'd be putting that up every bit, but I don't want to spam my friends with seeing all my Legends posts. I might make a new account for that sort of thing.

I know that Kotakua is prepping a relatively comprehensive story on everything that will probably help out, but I do think that the Legends group would behoov themselves to get a semi organized PR team similar to Operation Rainfail.

Roto13

I think the price drop is going to mean more sales, which (should) mean more support from 3rd parties in general, Capcom included.

I wouldn't count on them reviving Mega Man Legends 3, though. :p

bengraven said:
Would be interesting if all 100,000 people gave them 40 bucks each for the NDS version and they had zero excuses.

You can get 100k gamers to do something as easy as click a button on a website, but when it comes time to put money where your clicks are, well...

GSR

I don't know how the price drop will affect Capcom from here on out. While it might drive 3DS sales, I doubt there's really going to be a jump in sales until later this year when the two Mario games come out, and by then the window of opportunity for quality 3DS games with little competition will be closing. Not to mention Capcom's down from last year on earnings, though they have yet to adjust their end-of-year expectations.

wwm0nkey said:
After todays announcement Capcom REALLY needs to launch this game.

No doubt, now is the perfect time to announce that it's coming back.

Get the prototype out there for August 12th and watch the sales roll in.

Zen

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
Getting more nervous by the day.

I'm about to be featured on CNN and it won't be pretty.

Did you get one of those servbot head pieces and go on a drunken rampage with Legends 3 flyers?

qq more

Sammy Samusu said:
Getting more nervous by the day.

I'm about to be featured on CNN and it won't be pretty.
Wait, what's going on?

Snaku said:
Liked the FB page yesterday, though I've never touched a Legends game.
Definitely try them out, or at least the first game since it's pretty good! Controls will take some time to get used to though.

Top Bottom