• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

ShockingAlberto said:
That's Sven and he's no more trustworthy than anyone else at Capcom. He straight up lied about the AAI2 stuff and diffused the situation by promising that he was going to look in to other avenues for the game and then never talked about it again.

He recently told fans that Mega Man is still an important IP in the hearts of Capcom. Yeah.... even if HE feels that way that's sure not how the higher ups clearly think.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
SwiftSketcher said:
There is a rumor circulating that if the Devroom reaches 25,000 members, they will resume production. From a "source within Capcom."

Make of it what you will.

I'm personally waiting for an official word from Capcom to confirm this... Rumor to me until then.
Ignoring all the fake stories surrounding Capcom and Megaman lately, this one has to be the real deal right??

Zen

Banned
Serenade said:
Ignoring all the fake stories surrounding Capcom and Megaman lately, this one has to be the real deal right??

Well it's certainly well composed and sort of fits with things we've learned elsewhere, but worst case scenario "Sign the petition, become a servbot on capcom-unity to show your support" is far more productive than someone reddirecting The Protomen website.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So is there anything about doing a spamfest on Capcom's facebook wall like Tales of Fans did on Namco's wall ?

I havent been checking lately so Im a bit lost.

Zen

Banned
Here's the alledged overview of the situation: http://www.facebook.com/notes/zeri-...nging-back-mega-man-legends-3/205256752856810

Things you can do: all three are important
1) 'Like' The facebook group here
2) Become a member of Capcon-unity and become a servbot using your facebook profile (or not, not sure if that part really matters) here
3) Sign this petition here

Rumors were that Capcom cancelled the game due to the low partcipation in the Devroom, particularly in the low amount of people 'becoming servbots' to officially take part in things.

There's a write in campaign being planned for August, and fans are generally spreading awareness for the facebook group. Honestly if you know any friends taht would get in on this, get them to sign up/like/become a servbot too, there's nothing to lose. :)

The reason that the official petition and devroom are still up is specifically to give fans a voice, so don't hesitate to use it. :D

Codeblue

Signed up for the Dev Room at around #6500 so it seems to be moving at a reasonable pace given it's hard as hell to figure out what to do and how to join. The "Become a Servebot" button wouldn't load for me for the longest time.

Zen

Banned
Yeah it honestly took me 10 minutes to figure out how to become a servbot. Some fans are trying to bring news of this to Inafune's Japanese blog, hoping for some comments/support.

Roto13

Signing up for the devroom because a rumour says that Capcom will uncancel the game if X people sign up. This is getting sad.

Boney

Banned
Roto13 said:
Signing up for the devroom because a rumour says that Capcom will uncancel the game if X people sign up. This is getting sad.
it's not really because of the rumor, but more like fuck you capcom I was interested but I just didn't wanna join, now you've ruined my week.

I know this has nothing to do with MML3 but since Inafune's not with crapcom anymore somebody should ask him what the hidden secrets were in Megaman 9 and 10

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm officially a servbot, here's proof:

SERVBOT #006694

Liked the facebook group but I'm not joining the devroom until they have a revote over that 'design your own boss' thing so I can get 'Morrigan' Tron piloting a motherfucking giant Anakaris robot.

okay I'll sign up for the devroom jeez

Roto13 said:

Well, it's not like it's going to do any harm, it'd be worse to just not do anything.

Anyways, I signed up the first day I could already, but I keep forgetting the name and password I used for the Unity >.>

Manmedaz said:
Servbot # 006716 here ! It seems to be moving really fast :D.
Well damn! Before I went to bed it had barely broken 5,000, to see it at almost 7,000 now is pretty amazing. Especially considering how shitty the sign-up system is.

Zen

Banned
Roto13 said:

No one is actually believing that there's some magical number, but what that post is was saying fits with what we'd heard before; nothing ventured nothing gained, and little lost for the cost.

aDMwE.png

Unity better at least thank us for this flood of new members.

Yeah it's weird, some people are reporting with numbers in the 8000's, while it just hit 7,000 not too long ago. Not like there's a way to check the official number anyway, with an interface this brilliant.

Zen

Banned
This was a very well composed post that I came across on the unity site, thought I'd share it up:

Hypershell said:
Hi, Sven. Sorry for the extra work, but try as I might I cannot condense my thoughts into just a few words...

As disappointing as it is to see Legends 3, that is the final game, cancelled, I cannot express in words the feeling of betrayal that comes from the Prototype Version being cancelled.

This is straight from Director Eguchi's mouth on April 21, 2011:

"We ended up reaching an unprecedented agreement. As it happens, it was decided that the prototype version of the game we had submitted within the company would be sold as a downloadable—“Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype Version”. Furthermore, the heat and excitement surrounding this downloadable title would determine whether or not the full game could be greenlit."

Here's the problem that I, and quite a few Devroomers, have: We gathered from this statement that the Prototype's release was to be a key consideration in whether or not Legends 3 would be given the final greenlight by Capcom. To terminate the project before then feels very much as a stab in the back. It says that we were promised an opportunity, and that opportunity then taken away. A procedure was in place to test the viability of Legends 3 on the market and Capcom unilaterally decided to back down, why? What happened between then and three months later, when the title was cancelled? There is also a strong implication that this prototype version, being based on the greenlight meeting build, should have been close to completion. I understand it needs to be fine-tuned for the public, and there is surely more than a little red tape to clear in releasing a game even through digital distribution, but the steps required to get there ought to be minimal compared to how far the Prototype Version had already come, so why terminate it before taking that opportunity?

To release the Prototype Version, and say that the impact was inadequate, would surely be difficult to hear. But at the very least it'd have preserved Capcom's integrity. It'd have given the Devroomers a consolation prize. It'd have given Capcom some small revenue to offset the 9+ months of development that Legends 3 saw, rather than wasting it outright.

What manner of "heat and excitement" was deemed so inadequate as to cancel the Prototype and deny the chance to observe our reaction so close to release? Legends 3 made the cover of June's Nintendo Power, and it was the *ONLY* non-ported 3DS game on the e-Shop that anyone had even heard of (and actually it still is; the only native 3DS games on the e-Shop, if you count them, are the 3D Classics remakes). If you thought our efforts inadequate, could you not have asked more? Did we not well exceed the only publically established Servbot membership goal ever set, despite the clunky and initially bug-ridden membership process? People have taken to talking about how a few thousand members doesn't indicate stellar sales, but what relationship does Capcom believe a public appeal to "amateur game development" has to the game's sales audience?

"The game didn't meet certain criteria" is not an answer, it is a public-relations dodge. It flies in the face of what the Devroom stood for. Surely we do not get to say "no" to such a decision anymore than Eguchi and his crew get to, they all answer to somebody as well. They all have to hear bad news that they really don't want to, and we do as well. I get that. But such a general statement is condescending and dismissive, even if it wasn't pulling away what had already been promised, it is outright insulting to the notion that Capcom attempted any sort of "communication" with us in regards to game development.

I'm frustrated, deeply, and I'm making every effort to stay civilized. Bottom line: Is there anything, whatsoever, that we can do to change Capcom's mind and get the Prototype Version released? If after that, Legends 3 is still deemed not viable for business, then at least we could say that we tried.

I wonder, is Capcom aware of the 100,000 Strong For Legends 3 campaign? At time of writing, less than a week since the game's cancellation, they have amassed over 31,000 members. Not at their self-stated goal yet, but well on their way for such a short time.

Regardless of the above, is there any chance of hearing a "farewell" message from others involved with the production of Mega Man Legends 3?
I appreciated getting to hear "Gregaman's" thoughts on the matter, and I'd have liked some closing words from Eguchi, Kinako, and the rest of the crew.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...an_Legends_3_restarted&post_num=865#503631997

Zen said:
This was a very well composed post that I came across on the unity site, thought I'd share it up:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...an_Legends_3_restarted&post_num=865#503631997
This post is basically all i want.

-Release the prototype that would make them NOTHING BUT PROFIT
-Judge based on this release: A cancellation from this would be in complete reason and agreement to what was specified and promised.
-A goodbye from the dev team; getting to know them the past 6 months was a pleasure. To have this iron wall come down between the fans and them so inexplicably and suddenly is both saddening and rude. However small our devroom numbers were, we deserve a better send off than that.

Zen said:

Heh, I see Hyper still can write what I feel a thousand times better than I do :p

Yeah, I don't disagree with anything there at all. The reason people feel betrayed is not really only because of the game's cancelation, it's because of not even releasing the prototype and then cancel the game without even giving it the chance we were promised. Had they done that from the beginning the backlash would've never even been close to this bad, and if it had failed at least we would've known why (and then blame the people that refused to buy it saying it was just a marketing stunt for it rather than Capcom >.>)

Anyways, a few words from the dev team would certainly be nice, one would think they would've written something about the cancellation already.

Zen

Banned
qq more said:
I really want that to be true. I really do.

With things like the devroom being open in NA (apparently the epicenter for why the game was cancelled, re: Lack of participation) it does seem as though it is a hail marry pass PR stunt of sorts, but I do believe that the game is really cancelled all the same, but they're allowing mechanisms to be in place to change their minds.

Top Bottom