• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

BY2K

Membero Americo
350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

wwm0nkey

Yaceka said:
I don't think I'll ever forgive Capcom for trolling us with this game. Fuck you Capcom. Seriously.
Oh I know I wont forgive them until Megaman goes to an company that respects the series and fans.

Zen

Banned
Over 43 thousand likes now, we're still around 100-150 likes a day, though I feel that something needs to happen to give the movement another shot in the arm. Though hopefully that's coming sooner rather than latter.

43,069 Likes

Roll's Wrap-Up 8/22-24: Bringing Our Support Togetherby 100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3 on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 11:41pm
Matt here. Okay, so we still have a significant elephant in the room, which, of course, is the strange Capcom-Unity post mentioned in the last wrap-up . The post and the user account that posted it have since been removed. With all this in mind, we should just forget about this anomaly. We have very little reliable evidence about the post's integrity, and the matter is not worth pursuing, unless something more concrete were to surface.

Instead, I turn you over to our International Strategies team, who offer us some more useful information:

o There is good news to report out of International Strategies! We have made contact with the administrator of One_More_Dash and we are collaborating with him to raise the morale of the Japanese fanbase. Our defined end goal is to team up with the entire Japanese fanbase on Facebook and in the North American Devroom!

o I would like to take a moment to thank all those who have assisted us in our communications to Japan thus far. I personally guarantee you that our efforts are making a difference! I would also like to report that the International Team is nearing completion on some high priority projects. We have recently released a commerical on youtube highlighting our main event tomorrow. Rest assured that this fight is not over until Capcom of Japan says its over (which they have not!). Thank you all for your continued support and from all those at international strategies we promise to continue the good fight to save our hero!!!

Our union with the Japanese fanbase seems to be coming along nicely. Remember to follow One_More_Dash on Twitter.

On a slightly unrelated note, one of our members recently sent a suggestion to rockvolnutt@ymail.com (which you are all invited to contact) that would show support in a more concrete manner:

Buy as much Megaman merch that we can from Capcom's own online store.

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/list/categoryID.3954400/mega-man.html

There's also the budget dual-pack release of the PSP games coming out soon, which I'm sure you guys are aware of. Also, there's digital downloads, which are nice, but I think the more stuff we buy from them directly will help more.

Also, I wanted to say it'd also be great to try and buy Rockman swag from Capcom Japan, but I'm guessing they don't ship internationally; I tried registering and was hit with needing a local zipcode. If there's a way though, you guys could try and find out a way over the language barrier. Here's the link, just for convenience.

http://www.e-capcom.com/ec/srDispCategoryTreeLink/doSearchCategory/11700000000/0/2/1

If not, we could always try to nab up as many of these as we can!

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-34ji.html

This is only a suggestion, and spending money is a definite way to show support, but understandably, some of us are a little bit unwilling to shell out cash on items other than the game that we're trying to revive, especially in tough economic times. Still, the idea bears mentioning.

Remember, we still need more Servbots! Also, don't forget to join the general Mega Man and Mega Man Legends groups and sign the Capcom-Unity Petition. Lastly, don't forget about the International Servbot Collaboration project.

Regardless of all else, we all, worldwide, need to keep showing our support. Legends Never Die.

http://www.facebook.com/GetMeOffTheMoon#!/note.php?note_id=166126176794965

Zing

Banned
I have no personal interest in this game, but I don't understand. Capcom cancelled the game because there were only a few thousand users on some obscure "devroom" forum? What the fuck kind of logic is that? Did they make an official announcement like "hey anyone who wants a new Megaman game, come check out our forums!" or did they just arbitrarily take a census and can it?

Imagine if other companies did this. "Welp, there are only 5000 users on our site beta.dev-nintendo.com so I guess no one would buy this new Pikmin game."

Roto13

Zing said:
I have no personal interest in this game, but I don't understand. Capcom cancelled the game because there were only a few thousand users on some obscure "devroom" forum? What the fuck kind of logic is that? Did they make an official announcement like "hey anyone who wants a new Megaman game, come check out our forums!" or did they just arbitrarily take a census and can it?

Imagine if other companies did this. "Welp, there are only 5000 users on our site beta.dev-nintendo.com so I guess no one would buy this new Pikmin game."
The new Pikmin game hasn't been announced as basically a join project between the dev team and the fanbase.

.la1n

I wish I could believe that a petition and fan support would cause a change of heart from Capcom but it simply won't. They will humor the fan base for a while then move on as they have with numerous other franchises / games in the past and presently.

Zen

Banned
Just buy Ultimate Marvel versus Capcom 3 used. Also remember to join the facebook group and become a servbot. I'm buying all of my capcom stuff used, fuck em.

qq more said:
Okay, this is just getting fucking stupid. This won't change Capcom's mind at all.

Yeah I agree. They need some fresh perspective and focus. It's like when they said that they proved G4 how wrong it was when G4 said that no one cared. Their proof was the youtube video of one person. You aren't going to get Capcoms attention that way, or provoke a response from G4. I sent them an e-mail detailing this sort of thing, we'll see if it makes a difference.

And on that note, the international strategies is looking for new recruits, so if you want to help them out or feel thatyou have somthing to contribute that they're currently missing, g ahead to the facebook page.

Roto13 said:
The new Pikmin game hasn't been announced as basically a join project between the dev team and the fanbase.

Yeah but the fans surpasssed the only stated goalpost for the devroom. That goalpost was over 10 thousand people between the various regions, at the devroom had like 15-20 thousand.

.la1n said:
I wish I could believe that a petition and fan support would cause a change of heart from Capcom but it simply won't. They will humor the fan base for a while then move on as they have with numerous other franchises / games in the past and presently.

Well Namco Bandai did rethink their localizations when 50 thousand fans got together for Tales.

As per your comment towards Capcom just giving lip service:
Which is exactly the sort of duplicity that getmeoffthemoon has to highlight visibly. It's a shame that Legends 3 is considered old news right now, because it would be much easier to get news sites willing to do interviews when the whole thing was hotter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Buy as much merch as you can?

Holy shit seriously? Why do they condone activities that perpetuate abuse so willingly? Jesus Christ.

The next "shot in the arm" won't happen until we reach a milestone that warrants attention, say reaching 50,000 people. I'm sure it will turn a few heads at the very least.

And to the skeptics now: Yeah it's easy to say this wont work, but then again no videogame cancellation has ever amassed this much attention and controversy, ever. Whether we reach our goal or not, this has become a reference point in videogame history as an example of a company's ill behavior toward fans, backlash, and the disrespecting of a beloved brand property as bad as the Sonic franchise. It's easy to predict that a movement like this won't accomplish jack shit, but perhaps being too stubborn to give up is the key to our only chance at success.

The group has made it so far and grown so much that it is uncharted territory for a videogame fan movement, so why not keep pushing against and see what happens? Journalists and gamers will always reference and remember this event for what it stands for, with Megaman at the face of it. It means more than just bringing Legends back, and I think that's important.

And I gotta hand it to the group, they've got a real classy setup going on here. The effort going into the outreach is really amazing.

This stuff is sad to watch. Good for the fans for caring but its pretty obvious that Capcom doesn't give a fuck. You're wasting your time--Legends is dead. This is just my outside POV but I don't see any evidence to the contrary.

sphinx

the piano man
Zing said:
Capcom cancelled the game because there were only a few thousand users on some obscure "devroom" forum?

The development of the game was a trainwreck and Capcom cancelled because it was going nowhere. They said so in their official statement. An initial delay of the game points to this being true.

All of a sudden a fucking moron capcom europe executive got into a twitter fight with fans saying "is your fault cause, see, the dev room wasn't popular and you the fans where supposed to do the game for us". Those were HIS words, NOT THE WORDS OF CAPCOM as a whole, not the words of ANYONE with a relevance standing inside of capcom, we don't even know if any highup executive in Japan know of this incident.

Now everyone believes the "unpopular dev room" thing is the reason it got cancelled and fans are doing petitions on twitter, facebook and everyhwere to let capcom know we do care.

it's all fucking stupid, from all parts.

Boney

Banned
SwiftSketcher said:
The next "shot in the arm" won't happen until we reach a milestone that warrants attention, say reaching 50,000 people. I'm sure it will turn a few heads at the very least.

And to the skeptics now: Yeah it's easy to say this wont work, but then again no videogame cancellation has ever amassed this much attention and controversy, ever. Whether we reach our goal or not, this has become a reference point in videogame history as an example of a company's ill behavior toward fans, backlash, and the disrespecting of a beloved brand property as bad as the Sonic franchise. It's easy to predict that a movement like this won't accomplish jack shit, but perhaps being too stubborn to give up is the key to our only chance at success.

The group has made it so far and grown so much that it is uncharted territory for a videogame fan movement, so why not keep pushing against and see what happens? Journalists and gamers will always reference and remember this event for what it stands for, with Megaman at the face of it. It means more than just bringing Legends back, and I think that's important.

And I gotta hand it to the group, they've got a real classy setup going on here. The effort going into the outreach is really amazing.
My real problem is the lack of support from gaming websites. Not only they shrugged it off, they laughed at the fans.

That's just insane to me.

Zen

Banned
sphinx said:
The development of the game was a trainwreck and Capcom cancelled because it was going nowhere. They said so in their official statement. An initial delay of the game points to this being true.

All of a sudden a fucking moron capcom europe executive got into a twitter fight with fans saying "is your fault cause, see, the dev room wasn't popular and you the fans where supposed to do the game for us". Those were HIS words, NOT THE WORDS OF CAPCOM as a whole, not the words of ANYONE with a relevance standing inside of capcom, we don't even know if any highup executive in Japan know of this incident.

Now everyone believes the "unpopular dev room" thing is the reason it got cancelled and fans are doing petitions on twitter, facebook and everyhwere to let capcom know we do care.

it's all fucking stupid, from all parts.

THey didn't say so in their official statement, in fact they haven't given any reasons aside from 'crtieria was not met'. We saw extensive footage of the prototype, and it didn't appear to be a trainwreck.

Boney said:
My real problem is the lack of support from gaming websites. Not only they shrugged it off, they laughed at the fans.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. News outlets think its a lost cause without enough support, but we can't get enough support if they don't help us spread the word. They literally have the power to propel the word of mouth and change the fate of this movement, but instead expend energy in actually putting us down and smothering the cause. And then seconds later they'll post an article like "lawl look at this mario brand daiper!!!" "what iz your top ten gaming snax??" I guess whatever's more important for gaming journalism right?

How hard would it be to spare a simple "hey these megaman fans haven't given up, support here if you want"

fernoca

All this debacle with Legends 3 made me realize that I ignored that the Legends series had such a "hardcore" following. I enjoyed the series, bought the first 2 games, the N64 port and the Tron Bonne PSone game back then (love Tron Bonne and the Servbots); yet I recognized that the series was mostly ignored by everyone and therefore wasn't expecting sequels out of it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's even cheap because it's the special Mercenaries case, only recoloured and with a lenticular image

ex1.jpg

MM3DSCase_productimage.jpg

Just...look

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd rather have a 3DS X game than Legends TBH... >.>

The original as a 3D Classic would rock.

Zen

Banned
It's understandable, but it's still trollish and a little funny. The reason that it's slightly trollish is that the limited 3DS case SDCC 2011 line is for their upcoming 3DS games as shown at SDCC 2011...

Legends would have been one of those. so it's funny that they still included 'MegaMan' despite their being no upcoming 3DS game, and went a step further and changed it to X instead of Legends. It would have been a more fantastic troll if they had used Legends anyway.

Roto13

Boney said:

The gaming media has moved on, as they should, because Mega Man Legends 3 is cancelled and it's not coming back and that's all there is.

SwiftSketcher said:
It's a self fulfilling prophecy. News outlets think its a lost cause without enough support, but we can't get enough support if they don't help us spread the word. They literally have the power to propel the word of mouth and change the fate of this movement, but instead expend energy in actually putting us down and smothering the cause. And then seconds later they'll post an article like "lawl look at this mario brand daiper!!!" "what iz your top ten gaming snax??" I guess whatever's more important for gaming journalism right?

How hard would it be to spare a simple "hey these megaman fans haven't given up, support here if you want"
They did that already. Nothing important has happened since then. "Sad Mega Man Legends Fans Don't Know When To Quit" isn't much of a headline.

Top Bottom