• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

jett said:
Straight port of MML1. Might have better controls. MML1 on PS1 is almost unplayable today due to it not supporting dual analog.

Yeah, it'd be better with dual analog, but unplayable? That's silly. You'd have to be completely inept to struggle that badly with it.

Zen

Banned
When asked about porting Legends 1 and 2 to PSN, Sven said that they are still 'in progress'. Which could mean that Capcom is still looking in to making it happen or that he was slying saying that it would never happen, so huh. What can you do. I do hope that they make it on PSN, I'd love to play them on my Go or PS3.

Rolls update

Hey everyone, David here. I've got a big community post for tonight.

Getmeoffthemoon.com has launched! International Strategies has been hard at work getting this site up and running (The site looks great!), so show them your support by signing up and submitting fan art! Alternate addresses for the page are http://gmotm.com and http://dash-and-mml.com. They all link to the same place. Now the international movement can REALLY push forward!

This doesn't diminish the importance of becoming a servbot however. We still need more support there! Join the ranks! You may not like Capcom after what they've done, but the best shot you have to get them to hear you is by posting on the Capcom-unity forums! It's going to take more than just a "Like" on Facebook to get Mega Man back to Earth!

In addition, we need more media coverage. We can't let this go quietly. In a recent email, we've gotten a suggestion to email a couple of other sources. One of them is the Consumerist and the other is The Official Nintendo Magazine from the UK. These both seem like solid suggestions. Don't spam them, but more emails asking them to cover us wouldn't hurt (and PLEASE remember to stay civil). If any of you have more suggestions, please send us an email at rockvolnutt@ymail.com!

That about does it for this Wrap-Up! Please remember (and it bears repeating) to keep things civil! We must treat others with respect if we want their help, and we cannot do this alone! Let's get him off the moon together! Legends never die!

Getmeoffthemoon Click here
International Strategies Click here
Capcom forum - Signing the Petition Click here
Theconsumerist Click here
Official Nintendo Magazine UK Click here

The website currently has just shy of 800 peices of original arwork submitted, the goal is 15000.

The facebook group is up to 38,729 likes and there are over 12600 servbots. The devroom is almost upon the Okami group too.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
To think that if everything had gone according to keikaku, we'd have been playing this game months ago.

ain't that bout a bitch

GSR

Unhappily, but what can you do? It's a bitter pill to swallow, but Capcom seems pretty dead-set on keeping the project dead. Just wish they hadn't done it so shittily, or, you know, at all.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Boney said:
So...

how are you guys holding up?
I still cry myself to sleep every night. And every time I see this thread come up.

But other than that I'm pretty ok.

;_;

edit: WHERE'S AERO?! BRING HER BACK!

You know what's ironic? I've just been at the 100,000 strong for Megaman FaceBook page and compared it to the DmC FB page. 39,541 likes for Megaman, while DmC gets 157,488 and that is you have to like the DmC page in order to comment or complain about it. Smh...

Zen

Banned
GSR said:
Unhappily, but what can you do? It's a bitter pill to swallow, but Capcom seems pretty dead-set on keeping the project dead. Just wish they hadn't done it so shittily, or, you know, at all.

To be fair, even Sven said that the latest comment from Capcom was meaningless. It was just a PR statement that was issued as the company line because Kotaku was, rightfully so, pushing them for comment.

Chances are slim but there's also nothing to lose, so why not, right.

Gravijah said:
Gravijah wow, they cancelled mml3.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9085141

Remember to like the facebook group as well, and tell any friends that might do similarly!

SwiftSketcher said:
Is this confirmed? I recall Audrey Drake saying she'd look into it, I hope she hasn't forgotten.

All I've heard was an offhand remark on the wall, so who knows. This is exactly the sort of situation that a PR team is meant for. The people behind getmeoffthemoon apparently had an e-mail internet crash and are backlogged on emails, so hopefully things get caught up.

I came across a blogger of sorts that has some fairly good opinion peices on the whole thing, so I figured I'd start reposting them here.

Open Letter to Capcom: Please Remeber that OTHER Game You Didn’t Wanted – Don’t forget, Mega Man Legends 3 isn’t the first sequel in the series the company showed a lack of interest in. Does anyone remember how the last one turned out?
The Mastermind of the Dash 3 Revival Effort? – Perhaps everything which has happened was expected all along… and all plays into a master plan…
You Got Those Numbers, How?
How a Lie Kills Your Fanbase – Was Capcom’s biggest deceit about the sales of the Prototype Version being a determining factor? Or was that merely just one facet of a much greater deception?
Why You Get to Blame The Executives, not The Developers

These are all well written and good for some light reading if you have the time.

qq more

Zen said:
To be fair, even Sven said that the latest comment from Capcom was meaningless. It was just a PR statement that was issued as the company line because Kotaku was, rightfully so, pushing them for comment.

Chances are slim but there's also nothing to lose, so why not, right.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9085141

Remember to like the facebook group as well, and tell any friends that might do similarly!

All I've heard was an offhand remark on the wall, so who knows. This is exactly the sort of situation that a PR team is meant for. The people behind getmeoffthemoon apparently had an e-mail internet crash and are backlogged on emails, so hopefully things get caught up.

I came across a blogger of sorts that has some fairly good opinion peices on the whole thing, so I figured I'd start reposting them here.

Open Letter to Capcom: Please Remeber that OTHER Game You Didn’t Wanted – Don’t forget, Mega Man Legends 3 isn’t the first sequel in the series the company showed a lack of interest in. Does anyone remember how the last one turned out?
The Mastermind of the Dash 3 Revival Effort? – Perhaps everything which has happened was expected all along… and all plays into a master plan…
How a Lie Kills Your Fanbase – Was Capcom’s biggest deceit about the sales of the Prototype Version being a determining factor? Or was that merely just one facet of a much greater deception?

These are all well written and good for some light reading if you have the time.
Very interesting articles, especially the Inafune one.

jackdoe

jett said:
Straight port of MML1. Might have better controls. MML1 on PS1 is almost unplayable today due to it not supporting dual analog.
I don't think it could have better controls on the N64 due to the fact that there's only one analog stick. But you're absolutely right. I had tried a demo on the PS1 a while ago and found it rather clumsy to play.

Boney

Banned
Zen said:

Gonna read them tommorow I guess. Thanks for the heads up

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zen said:

Rockman-centric blogs are always fun. Also reminds me I need to order one of those fangamer e-mugs...

Zen said:

But then again, 1.5 million being the best number a Megaman game has ever achieved just proves that the series has never been a cash cow the Megaman fans think that it is. 1.5 million was huge in 1988 but by today's standards it could only be counted as a respectable but hardly a huge success. And the odds of any Megaman game ever reaching that number is extremely slim. After Megaman 2 you have Battle Network 4 at 1.35 million, Mega Man X at 1.16 million and Mega Man 3 at 1.08 million. These are the only games in the entire series that have exceeded 1 million. So Capcom isn't wrong in thinking that a new Megaman game wouldn't be very profitable.

qq more

scytheavatar said:
But then again, 1.5 million being the best number a Megaman game has ever achieved just proves that the series has never been a cash cow the Megaman fans think that it is. 1.5 million was huge in 1988 but by today's standards it could only be counted as a respectable but hardly a huge success. And the odds of any Megaman game ever reaching that number is extremely slim. After Megaman 2 you have Battle Network 4 at 1.35 million, Mega Man X at 1.16 million and Mega Man 3 at 1.08 million. These are the only games in the entire series that have exceeded 1 million. So Capcom isn't wrong in thinking that a new Megaman game wouldn't be very profitable.
Most Mega Man games aren't high budgeted (unfortunately, can't say the same to MML in general). I'd imagine they'd be profitable.

That's the thing, it's getting harder and harder to make low budget games nowadays. Handhelds are the future of the series, and with the 3DS being a bust it'll tough for Capcom to make a Megaman game that'll be profitable. If the 3DS doesn't pick up or the Vita becomes dead on arrival the series is doomed, they certainly could release more 8 bit classic Megaman but a Legends 3 will be tough.

scytheavatar said:
It's not like these games have like 30-40 million dollar budgets though. It's a 3DS game. One with high demand at that. Most people look at our numbers saying "LOL, even if all 40,000 people bought a copy that's not a lot!!" What?

Do we go into the facebook page or OT for a game and tally the posts/likes for to base sales on that? Fuck no. There are way more people that the internet can simply not account for. It's not like fans only will touch the game, while being kryptonite to newcomers. It would sell to 3DS gamers, megaman fans, legends fans, those curious both domestically and abroad. Especially now that this whole debacle has spread awareness of the Legends franchise to many corners of the internet, with even more to cover still. It's a shame that a fanbase has to reduce itself to a self-advertising tally-count just to prove this game's worth.

The point of the Legends fb page is to show there was an audience of gamers out there, alongside fans that both want and support it, beyond crazy fanclub numbers. There are fans that have no clue the game was cancelled, or was even in production to begin with. It's just one on the many bullet points of why this whole thing became the clusterfuck we see today. It may not do Resident Evil numbers, but have we seriously reached the point where a company like Capcom won't support something just because it won't do BLOPS numbers? Especially when something like Legends has extremely low risk factor vs. some of their past releases this gen, and it would very clearly at least break even.

I do remember there was a time Capcom would fight for Mega Man games, though.

Like when SCEA did not want to allow Mega Man 8 to be published in America. Capcom very obviously threatened to pull both MM8 and RE2 and put them exclusively on the Saturn until Sony capitulated.

Though maybe that was more because they did not understand why Sony was attempting to boss them around.

scytheavatar said:
That's the thing, it's getting harder and harder to make low budget games nowadays. Handhelds are the future of the series, and with the 3DS being a bust it'll tough for Capcom to make a Megaman game that'll be profitable. If the 3DS doesn't pick up or the Vita becomes dead on arrival the series is doomed, they certainly could release more 8 bit classic Megaman but a Legends 3 will be tough.
You haven't a single damn clue what the hell you're talking about. You should stop before you dig yourself a deeper hole.

nbraun80

ShockingAlberto said:
I do remember there was a time Capcom would fight for Mega Man games, though.

Like when SCEA did not want to allow Mega Man 8 to be published in America. Capcom very obviously threatened to pull both MM8 and RE2 and put them exclusively on the Saturn until Sony capitulated.

Though maybe that was more because they did not understand why Sony was attempting to boss them around.
Sadly I think these recent events may show that Inafune was the only one fighting for mega man, and not Capcom...

eso76

ShockingAlberto said:
Speaking of not-busts, Mega Man ZXA failed to sell 250k copies on the somewhat-successful DS. Worldwide.

i'm just playing ZXA now after finishing ZX, and while it has its pros it's an overall lazy and boring game.
I really liked ZX though, plus i think it has some of the best 2d bitmap graphics i've seen in a while. We need a new G'n'G in the same style, dammit.

TreIII

eso76 said:
i'm just playing ZXA now after finishing ZX, and while it has its pros it's an overall lazy and boring game.
I really liked ZX though, plus i think it has some of the best 2d bitmap graphics i've seen in a while. We need a new G'n'G in the same style, dammit.

Honestly? The whole "Rock On" system did a lot to remind of how Firebrand could change between forms in Demon's Crest, though DC executed the mechanic a whole lot better than either ZX game did, in my opinion.

D'aww.

Sven said:
I am receiving and reading every piece of mail from you guys. Some of them are so beautiful that I wanted to share them with folks here. Shown below are just what I've gotten in the past few days and there are others from a few weeks prior. Thanks very much for you passion and love of all things MM. I'm sorry Legends 3 didn't happen in the end but I am personally working to help please MM fans once again at some point. Please bear with us. It's going to take some time.

riEQ1.png

They're noticing folks. Now if they could just forward those to the Japan offices to melt that CEO's cold cold heart...
Anyway, the fight for everlasting peace continues.

ninj4junpei said:
Unless he has significant pull at Capcom Japan, his words mean nothing.
Well, he said he is one of six or seven people that decide Capcom releases for every region.

If your going to talk to anyone at Capcom USA, he'd be the guy.

Boney said:
No surprise there.

I'm actually surprised they got to 40k
I was worried it was going to look utterly embarrassing when it would halt at 10k. They dun good without any real push from the major websites.

You what's funny though, if they had Japan's fanbase it would have eclipsed 100,000 by now :/

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
SwiftSketcher said:
I was worried it was going to look utterly embarrassing when it would halt at 10k. They dun good without any real push from the major websites.

You what's funny though, if they had Japan's fanbase it would have eclipsed 100,000 by now :/
There should be serious efforts to get Japan on board, then.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I remember looking at some of the abandoned ideas they had for Legends 2 that were intended to be reused in a hypothetical Legends 3 years ago. I can't find any of the stuff online and I can't remember what most of it was.

I think one idea had something to do with the different purifier Megamans that were shown in the Complete Works Artbook. It would've made for a nice read for people right now.

Zen

Banned
I wouldn't say it's impossible (the daily likes are actually going up lately) but nothing ventured nothing gained, and us Legends fans have to have something to do to distract us. :p

http://www.capcom-europe.com/blog/2011/08/a-little-something-about-mega-man/

Capgod said:
VP Christian Svensson said in response to the letters: “I am receiving and reading every piece of mail from you guys. Some of them are so beautiful that I wanted to share them with folks here. Shown below are just what I’ve gotten in the past few days and there are others from a few weeks prior. Thanks very much for you passion and love of all things MM. I’m sorry Legends 3 didn’t happen in the end but I am personally working to help please MM fans once again at some point. Please bear with us. It’s going to take some time.”

Well, atleast we're being heard. That's good news right? Hopefully something comes out of this

eso76

TreIII said:
Honestly? The whole "Rock On" system did a lot to remind of how Firebrand could change between forms in Demon's Crest, though DC executed the mechanic a whole lot better than either ZX game did, in my opinion.

Yeah, you're right, i wasn't talking about those mechanics actually, i was talking about "nice, up to date, pixel art" and overall structure, with non entirely linear progression, with a hub (kinda like Demon's Crest in fact) and a couple lite ARPG elements.

Zen

Banned
A relatively well done video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9nEKYBJgo

kingofthedead45 said:
http://www.capcom-europe.com/blog/2011/08/a-little-something-about-mega-man/

Well, atleast we're being heard. That's good news right? Hopefully something comes out of this

It's nice to see that we're being heard, absolutely. Apparently Capcom is going to give something out to notable devroom contributors.

I do find the 'MegaMan is absolutely an important brand to us at Capcom' interview that was diceminated recently to be a bit of hollow PR taht reactionary to try and quell the fanbase. I'll believe it when I see it, especially with Inafune gone.

More over they still haven't said what the actual reason was for the cancellation. Maybe they realized that they didn't have enough free hands to handle Legends 3 when everybody in Capcom is basically regulated to pouring time and money into Dragons Dogma and RE6, but there's still no tangible reason to with hold the prototype.

If that sort of thing is the case, then MegaMan fans should also make sure that our voices are being heard by CC2, since external development would solve the manpower problem.

About us not making it. Who's the say. The facebook group hasn't gone below 200-250 like a day, and that's actually seems to be the level that it has averaged out at after the initial surge. It went up by 500 likes on Saturday, and the member count on the devroom keeps getting higher and higher while the facebook group itself is increasing in organization. I know there's a group on fans that are apparently also looking to make a Legends fangame if Legends 3 doesn't come out; it does't look like people are going to lay down and die on this.

Zen

Banned
Update time:

Facebook likes: 41,528 (currently still going at a little under 200 a day since yesterday)
Servbot count: Over 13,000
Devroom Count: 15,048 Members
Capcom Petition: 7,269 Signed

To think that the devroom only had under 4500 when this started.

flyers that can be used:
http://www.facebook.com/GetMeOffTheMoon#!/media/set/?set=a.160517877355795.38414.149316248475958

Roll's Wrap-Up: 08/14/11by 100,000 Strong for Bringing Back Mega Man Legends 3 on Sunday, August 14, 2011 at 6:29pm
Hi everyone, David here. Today's Wrap-Up comes early, but there are announcements to be made!

Posted in yesterday's Wrap-Up, The I.S. Team has been hard at work translating/creating videos lately. I'm reporting that the I.S. team has made a Youtube Channel for videos!

Their head, Jake Hans, has this to say:

"Recently G4 made a statement on their TV show X-Play declaring that no one was awaiting the return of Megaman Trigger/Rockman DASH. Their remark did not go unheard by GetMeOffTheMoon International Strategies. Our own member Dashe Troxon, the creator of “Waiting for Legends 3: A Tribute” is the ultimate example to disprove the claims of G4. Her artwork is a reflection of the feelings many Megaman Legends/Rockman DASH fans have. To prove that there were people worldwide waiting for this game, International Strategies Liaisons have been subtitling her video in every language possible. The Japanese version of the song will soon be posted on Nico Nico which is the Japanese version of youtube. Our video will include a message for those who feel the same way Dashe does: join facebook and become a servbot in the American devroom.

The response to the International Servbot Collaboration has been outstanding! Please keep it up! The admin of One_More_DASH thanks all of you for your support. The International Strategies video will need a little more time to complete. Thank you for your patience. We are working hard all over the world for the return of Rockman DASH, and the quality of our work will reflect that. If you have already participated in all the petitions and still want to get involved, please post on the International Strategies page to join the team. Speaking another language is not required. We have major projects in the works and any help is welcome!"

The video has been subtitled in Japanese, Italian, Portuguese (Portugal) and Dutch so far, with Maltese, German, French and Arabic versions in the works. They're putting the finishing touches on the Spanish version right now. Keep it up, I.S. Team! Don't forget to subscribe to them! In addition, each subtitled video will be posted to its respective GMoTM International page so keep your eyes open for them!

Don't forget to join the Devroom and become Servbots, though! We've been pushing a LOT of different campaigns, but the Servbot push is still the most important one! After that, you can post your servbot number here or sign the only Capcom-recognized petition for MML3!

After that, you can participate in any of the petitions mentioned above or on the blog to show more of your support! Got more ideas? Please send them to us at rockvolnutt@ymail.com (add CAMPAIGN to the subject bar if they are possible campaign ideas)! We can't do this without you!

That's all for now. Let's show the world what we're fighting for! Legends never die!

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=161434527264130

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiofLnWKc8Y

Click the link to get to all the links. The video that way made is great, and sad D:

I still think that there needs to be an official PR team. Making a nice youtube video is on thing, but it's not the sort of thing that the media is going to report on. That and the window for this being a topical story is closing. While creating a website and fanvideos is great, it's all useless unless people know they exist.

Top Bottom