• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zen said:
Almost reaching 40k in two weeks, and gaining momentum again with the Kotaku article? That only reaffirms that things are still very much in play, even if the endgame isn't Legends 3 coming back. Don't forget that the fans are working on a centralized hub to unify all efforts on an international scale. The general reaction to this Kotaku article has been 'so what? We're not going anywhere'.
40K is nothing. 40K isn't a convincing core fanbase, and 40K in a support group is not a very good indicator anyways of actual interest. 40K means "Yeah this will do 200K if there's a miracle" to hardass Capcom execs. And I don't think there is any momentum gain to be had here. The Kotaku posting was days ago. Any potential spike from signees is gone now and numbers gain has probably plateau'd.

MML fans are fighting a battle that has been lost, and then lost again, and then confirmed to be lost again by Capcom PR. Capcom has moved on, they aren't going back. 100K people aren't going to change that. MML fans mistake the amount of influence they have in development. It's not a lot. You guys can sit down and build a fortress for MML fans to collect and dream together, but those will stay dreams.

Zen said:
I guarantee you that the Prototype (which was going to release on the 3DS store digitally) would have made sales. Especially among a fanbase that had been waiting for Legends for so long. There's no way that releasing the Prototype 'for the fans' would be a bad PR move, and it would recoup some of the sunk costs of pre-production on the project.
How do you guarantee sales? Maybe to a fanbase that has been given the middle finger and begs at the feet of Capcom, but you must also take into account potential costs from Nintendo for having MML3 on their platform AND keeping it there after the initial sales, which would have been pretty low considering the circumstances, are over.

Zen said:
You have absolutely no way of knowing this.
I'm pretty sure no one knocked at Niitsuma's dev team and asked them to include Tron based on an 8yo franchise to provide some sort of representation of a franchise for the sake of it. If you had paid attention to the legacy of MvC2 and TvC, Tron was a surprise to no one when she was announced/leaked for MvC3. Also, the latter bit from unique playstyle on is pretty much fact, I don't know how you can argue against this.

Beth Cyra

qq more said:
How recent was the post? There's so many pages in this topic, it's gonna be hell trying to find it.
Dear lord.

I think that was around the time of the crazy Euro Capcom PR stuff. As it stands you might be better off just straight up asking and hopefully one of the fine people who post that keep that Information on hand will see it and repost.

qq more said:
EDIT: Out of curiousity, how did the first Star Force and ZX games sell? Including as much regions as possible.
Enough to get sequels, which puts their finances in a better position than the PSP remakes.

Also, why are people saying MMBN sales tanked after 3? 4 was tye best selling in the whole series, and even a million seller worldwide?

qq more

TruePrime said:
Dear lord.

I think that was around the time of the crazy Euro Capcom PR stuff. As it stands you might be better off just straight up asking and hopefully one of the fine people who post that keep that Information on hand will see it and repost.

Found it.

Stumpokapow said:
NPD data, mix of pre-leak ban data posted here and elsewhere and post-leak ban data posted elsewhere for example the CAG leaks in 2008 and 2009, as well as individual numbers being confirmed to me independently.

Mega Man BN3 > Mega Man BN5 (~50k) > Mega Man SF3
Mega Man X4 > Mega Man X5 > Mega Man X6 > Mega Man X7 (~100k) > Mega Man X8
Mega Man AC > Mega Man XC (~100k)
Mega Man Legends > Mega Man Legends 2 > Mega Man 64 (~125k)
Mega Man MHX > Mega Man PU (~100k)
Mega Man ZX (<100k) > Mega Man ZXA

Had no idea ZX bombed this hard. But I see nothing about the first Star Force game.

IIRC, I remember that MMBN4 was a million seller (worldwide) and was probably the 2nd best selling Mega Man game I think. Unfortunately, the game was so bad that it pretty much hurted the sales of BN5 and 6, ultimately killing the MMBN series.

EDIT:
Also, why are people saying MMBN sales tanked after 3? 4 was tye best selling in the whole series, and even a million seller worldwide?
Yeah. 4 sold the most. I believe MMBN was at its peak in popularity thanks to the anime and the success of BN2 and 3. Capcom picked the worst time to rush out a game. (Seriously, that game was so badly rushed. Even the translation was a joke!)

Zen

Banned
Hmm some of those numbers aren't right. I know for a fact that MegaMan X8 sold over 180k in America, for instance.

enzo_gt said:
40K is nothing. 40K isn't a convincing core fanbase, and 40K in a support group is not a very good indicator anyways of actual interest. 40K means "Yeah this will do 200K if there's a miracle" to hardass Capcom execs. And I don't think there is any momentum gain to be had here. The Kotaku posting was days ago. Any potential spike from signees is gone now and numbers gain has probably plateau'd.

It's funny that you'd say that any potential spike from the Kotaku article is now gone, seeing as I've been tracking the numbers on a daily basis, and they show a big pick up when compared to yesterday or the day before. At the end of the day you can keep saying 'well 40k is nothing' and it comes off exactly the same way as people that laughed at the thought of it ever reaching 5k, or another Legends game ever being announced. Sure chances are slim, but so what? This is obviously how a group of fans have decided to spend their time, and it's there's to spend while being fully aware of the odds.

MML fans are fighting a battle that has been lost, and then lost again, and then confirmed to be lost again by Capcom PR. Capcom has moved on, they aren't going back. 100K people aren't going to change that. MML fans mistake the amount of influence they have in development. It's not a lot. You guys can sit down and build a fortress for MML fans to collect and dream together, but those will stay dreams.

And yet the passion of a dedicated fans is why Legends was even announced for the 3DS in the first place. So what if the fans have lost countless battles, they're ours to fight, and Sven confirmed that the PR statement was just old news, nothing new.

How do you guarantee sales? Maybe to a fanbase that has been given the middle finger and begs at the feet of Capcom, but you must also take into account potential costs from Nintendo for having MML3 on their platform AND keeping it there after the initial sales, which would have been pretty low considering the circumstances, are over.

So a digital distribution, and one of the first and mentionable products of the 3DS store wouldn't have generated some sales? Especially after all of this publicity and galvanization of the fanbase? Requesting the Prototype release is pretty much the most reoccurring request out of the MM fans right now, and this is exclusive to anything to do with full development. Companies keep things on their servers that barely move any numbers at all because there's virtually no cost of keeping them there even after the sales have flatlined.

Beth Cyra

qq more said:
Found it.

Had no idea ZX bombed this hard. But I see nothing about the first Star Force game.

IIRC, I remember that MMBN4 was a million seller (worldwide) and was probably the 2nd best selling Mega Man game I think. Unfortunately, the game was so bad that it pretty much hurted the sales of BN5 and 6, ultimately killing the MMBN series.

EDIT:

Yeah. 4 sold the most. I believe MMBN was at its peak in popularity thanks to the anime and the success of BN2 and 3. Capcom picked the worst time to rush out a game. (Seriously, that game was so badly rushed. Even the translation was a joke!)
I don't know if it was a million seller or not, you might be right.

Thing is Capcom posted their top 10 best selling games of all time like 4 or 5 years ago.

RE2 and a few others we can all guess were on there. The only Rock game I remember however was X1 and that was it.

TruePrime said:
Yes, X at one time sold pretty well and is much more popular in the West were Trigger isn't the most popular version of Rock anywhere.

So it seems remarkably silly that we've had Legends references by Capcom for years and years when they could've focused on X's world more, or EXE, or Classic.

Remember who you're talking to; I'm not the world's biggest MML fan. I was very, very annoyed to see Volnutt in places where Classic or X could've been. And I saw him a lot. The message was obvious that somebody important at Capcom (Inafune obviously) had a lot of love for the series, and that it was still on Capcom's mind even if they couldn't justify making a new game at the time.

They referenced it repeatedly. They ported the older titled to PSP as separate releases. They announced Mega Man Legends 3. The hype is no one's fault but Capcom's.

TruePrime said:

Thing is Capcom posted their top 10 best selling games of all time like 4 or 5 years ago.

RE2 and a few others we can all guess were on there. The only Rock game I remember however was X1 and that was it.

I remember EXE4 in there actually.

Beth Cyra

Kulock said:
So it seems remarkably silly that we've had Legends references by Capcom for years and years when they could've focused on X's world more, or EXE, or Classic.

Remember who you're talking to; I'm not the world's biggest MML fan. I was very, very annoyed to see Volnutt in places where Classic or X could've been. And I saw him a lot. The message was obvious that somebody important at Capcom (Inafune obviously) had a lot of love for the series, and that it was still on Capcom's mind even if they couldn't justify making a new game at the time.

They referenced it repeatedly. They ported the older titled to PSP as separate releases. They announced Mega Man Legends 3. The hype is no one's fault but Capcom's.
And I agreed from the start that the Ports would lead people to want it, even more so after the PSP remakes of Rock and X.

That said, I don't agree with Cameo's should lead there. The Ports, Legends III and the Dev room, sure people should be angry if you had interest in them.

TvC and MvC? That I don't agree with.

SolarKnight said:
I remember EXE4 in there actually.

Was it? I think I will try to find that list, I highly doubt I will be able to though.

You're right. Rock 2, .EXE4 and X1 are all on it. In that order, Though .EXE and X1 pretty close.

qq more

TruePrime said:
It is a million seller, actually. Lemme look up wikipedia since they tend to add sales data from trusted sources.

Wikipedia on MMBN4 said:
The two versions of Mega Man Battle Network 4 entered Japanese sales charts as the second and fourth best-selling games of their release week and continued to appear on the top 10 best-sellers list for the following six weeks. The game sold 535,836 copies combined by the end of 2003 and an additional 393,014 copies by the end of 2004. Mega Man Battle Network 4 has sold 1.35 million copies worldwide as of December 31, 2008.

Also, found out Star Force's numbers, granted it's only Japan's sales:

Wikipedia on Star Force 1 said:
According to weekly Japanese sales report of the first week of release for Mega Man Star Force, none of the three versions placed in the top 10. However, Media Create sales data shows that the three versions of the game sold a combined 219,171 units in Japan by the end of 2006, placing it as the 59th best-selling video game of the year in that region. An additional 374,504 units were sold in 2007, making it the 37th best-selling game of that year and totaling sales to 593,675 units for Japan alone.

Just wanted to post this one since no one seems to have SF's numbers. I wouldn't be shocked if Star Force was close to a million seller considering it's nearly 600K in Japan alone.

EDIT: I might be wrong, but was Mega Man 3 for the NES a million seller too?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zen said:
It's funny that you'd say that any potential spike from the Kotaku article is now gone, seeing as I've been tracking the numbers on a daily basis, and they show a big pick up when compared to yesterday or the day before. At the end of the day you can keep saying 'well 40k is nothing' and it comes off exactly the same way as people that laughed at the thought of it ever reaching 5k, or another Legends game ever being announced. Sure chances are slim, but so what? This is obviously how a group of fans have decided to spend their time, and it's there's to spend while being fully aware of the odds.

And yet the passion of a dedicated fans is why Legends was even announced for the 3DS in the first place. So what if the fans have lost countless battles, they're ours to fight, and Sven confirmed that the PR statement from Kotaku wasn't much to get all that discouraged about.

So a digital distribution, and one of the first and mentionable products of the 3DS store wouldn't have generated some sales? Especially after all of this publicity and galvanization of the fanbase? Requesting the Prototype release is pretty much the most reoccurring request out of the MM fans right now, and this is exclusive to anything to do with full development. Companies keep things on their servers that barely move any numbers at all because there's virtually no cost of keeping them there even after the sales have flatlined.
The passion of the dedicated fans is the reason why Legends was let loose unapproved for the fans. It was a failing pitch that made the devs get desperate. As much approve of fighting a battle on the basis of hopes and dreams, I see it as pointless. These same hopes and dreams won't resurrect a project a second or third time with the same attempts.

And no, I don't believe it would have generated considerable sales only because of the cancellation. Otherwise, it would've done decent. DD is not the easiest sell, DD isn't an easy sell on any platform, so it ofcourse wouldn't be an easy sell on the 3DS knowing how sales of the system went, and with the bad MML PR going behind it. Yes, MML3 made some buzz, but I don't think "first 3DSWare title on launch" guarantees success on the DD front.

If you guys want to see a release of the prototype, that's something I can understand arguing for even though I've previously described why I think Capcom wouldn't do it from a PR standpoint. And I'm not talking server costs exactly, just fees that could exist similar to the ones on XBL for keeping products actively available for purchase. Not sure if these exist, but if they do Capcom would've put that as a notch against releasing MML3's prototype on 3DS.

Beth Cyra

Looking through the numbers it's Dino Crisis that stands out more then any Rock game.

DC 1 did 2.6 million units, seriously they really let a good chance go straight to hell.

hamchan

I feel even if 100k people liked the Facebook page that wouldn't have changed Capcom's mind. Even 200k probably wouldn't have.

enzo_gt said:
Cancelling MML3 doesn't mean they don't care about Megaman anymore, I don't see how difficult that is to understand. MML3 =/= The entire MM franchise, this is the overreaction that has plagued the MML3 cancellation. Sven is a scapegoat.

Capcom does value fan feedback.. they just don't concede to the vocal minorities who want to overthrow corporate decisions in the company and do things their way in their fantasy world. They've had some pretty horrific PR as evidenced by the EU twitter going crazy and whatnot but this has been blown completely out of proportion by the MM fanbase. I'm sorry if a company doesn't want to make another game that probably won't recoup development costs, from a franchise and mascot that's clearly lost his relevance in spades over the course of the last decade, I truly am, but no amount of anger and hatred towards a company will change that.

The real anger should be directed towards their absolutely stupid decision to show games that haven't been green-lit in the development process yet. Showing something that's volatile that, from the start, likely was not to produce a solid release anyways, is a terrible business practice that shouldn't be encouraged. Yes, companies are moving towards the model of showing off their game as early as possible to increase the amount of time in which they will garner interest and have opportunities to show off their product, but games being shown before they are even green-lit is crossing the line. This is my main issue with the MML3 cancellation.

No Megaman game out for an entire year? Guess they're just on par with other franchises that don't pump out releases like clockwork to keep feeding the market their brand now.

When you say it like that, yeah I guess it makes sense and I can't blame Capcom for their decision. But in all honesty, even if MML3 WASN'T cancelled, there really isn't much from Capcom that looks interesting. It's just that after cockteasing the fans has turned my opinion of their upcoming titles from "Well I don't know if I'll like that, but hey! Capcom's cool, I might get that if it's well received" to "Nope, not wasting my money"

I know there are people here who CRAVE new IPs and such. Sorry, I'm just not like that. I prefer to throw my money at something I'm familiar with while saving my money by waiting for something "new" to drop.

I guess Inafune really was the big force behind Mega Man. Between little MM representation in MvC3 (again I'm glad we get to know the roster now instead of waiting over the next few months to be disappointed with each new reveal. It'd be Legends 3 being cancelled all over again.), MMU being cancelled AND Legends 3 being cancelled with no MM title in sight. It's just a really depressing time to be a MM fan in general, that's all. It's just really REALLY hard to believe Sven's "We still love Mega Man" when they're hardly tossing a bone toward us.

qq more

General Shank-a-snatch said:
Why did Battle Network 4 sell so much? It had a lukewarm reception in the west iirc.
Like I said earlier in my post, I believe it had to do with the anime's popularity and the reception BN2 and 3 had. It likely built up hype for the fourth game.

Japan sales from Famitsu.

Mega Man Battle Network (GBA) 207,288
Mega Man Battle Network 2 (GBA) 446,939
Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue (GBA) 500,001
Mega Man Battle Network 3: White (GBA) 169,946
Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun / Blue Moon (GBA) 928,850
Mega Man Battle Network 4.5: Easy Operation (GBA) 75,809
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (GBA) 415,630
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Coloniel (GBA) 194,472
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team (DS) 106,526
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar / Gregor (GBA) 595,447
Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Star Force (DS) 73,374

Mega Man Network Transmission (GC) 79,360
Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (GBA) 44,864

Mega Man Zero (GBA) 231,166
Mega Man Zero 2 (GBA) 158,479
Mega Man Zero 3 (GBA) 121,847
Mega Man Zero 4 (GBA) 74,354
Mega Man Zero Collection (DS) 41,383

Mega Man: Battle & Chase (PS) 12,695
Mega Man: Power Battle Fighters (PS2) 24,765

Mega Man 8 (PS) 31,023
Mega Man 8 (SS) 13,834
Mega Man & Bass (SFC) 46,928
Mega Man 2 (PS) 7,723
Mega Man 3 (PS) 6,977
Mega Man & Bass (GBA) 91,097

Mega Man X2 (SFC) 284,109
Mega Man X3 (SFC) 176,346
Mega Man X4 (PS) 197,385
Mega Man X4 (SS) 21,218
Mega Man X5 (PS) 201,153
Mega Man X6 (PS) 146,836
Mega Man X7 (PS2) 111,778
Mega Man X8 (PS2) 35,546
Mega Man X: Command Mission (PS2) 36,635
Mega Man X: Command Mission (GC) 18,599
Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter (PSP) 12,038

Mega Man Xtreme (GBC) 79,059
Mega Man Xtreme 2 (GBC) 64,011

Mega Man Legends (PS) 150,238
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PS) 61,127
Mega Man Legends 2 (PS) 88,131
Mega Man Legends (PSP) 11,543
Mega Man Legends 2 (PSP) 15,309

Mega Man ZX (DS) 94,341
Mega Man ZX Advent (DS) 63,977

Mega Man Star Force: Pegasus / Leo / Dragon (DS) 593,675
Mega Man Star Force 2: Zerker x Saurian / Dinosaur (DS) 291,962
Mega Man Star Force 3: Red Ace / Black Joker (DS) 217,312

edit: went back further.

X8 only did 35K in Japan? Not saying it's the best in the series, but it deserved more sales, especially after that trash called X7. Some of these MM sold a lot, though. One would wonder where all that money went to.

Zen

Banned
enzo_gt said:
The passion of the dedicated fans is the reason why Legends was let loose unapproved for the fans. It was a failing pitch that made the devs get desperate. As much approve of fighting a battle on the basis of hopes and dreams, I see it as pointless. These same hopes and dreams won't resurrect a project a second or third time with the same attempts.

Consider how incredibly little there was to show when the project was announced, not to mention that the project was actually just approved for pre production around the same time it was announced. The first thing we saw was a wire frame of a servbot, after all. It's almost impossible for the project to have been failing or for the early reveal to have been a desperation for a failing project. It's much more akin to an early safeguard, if it was anything.

If you guys want to see a release of the prototype, that's something I can understand arguing for even though I've previously described why I think Capcom wouldn't do it from a PR standpoint. And I'm not talking server costs exactly, just fees that could exist similar to the ones on XBL for keeping products actively available for purchase. Not sure if these exist, but if they do Capcom would've put that as a notch against releasing MML3's prototype on 3DS.

If that is the case, then Capcom could even simply have it would for a limited period based upon sales and then remove it when sales no longer resulted in a profit over the fee from Nintendo from keeping it up. Although we've seen companies all on innumerable services, and of all shapes and sizes, and I can never once think of an instance when a game was removed from even a lesser known service due to lack of sales. If Nintendo does have a fee for hosting, it's most likely a pittance.

qq more

X8 only did 35K in Japan? Not saying it's the best in the series, but it deserved more sales, especially after that trash called X7. Some of these MM sold a lot, though. One would wonder where all that money went to.
Yeah, a big shame that X7 sold a lot more than X8 did. X7 truly killed the X series and X8's sales is proof. :(

Zen

Banned

I think rather highly of X8 to the point of putting it above X4, and it is a great shame that is sold poorly in Japan. Of course there's also the fact that Capcom loved to milk the series into oblivion and it was X8 of all things.

enzo_gt said:

And no, I don't believe it would have generated considerable sales only because of the cancellation. Otherwise, it would've done decent. DD is not the easiest sell, DD isn't an easy sell on any platform, so it ofcourse wouldn't be an easy sell on the 3DS knowing how sales of the system went, and with the bad MML PR going behind it. Yes, MML3 made some buzz, but I don't think "first 3DSWare title on launch" guarantees success on the DD front.

Say what you will, but I can guarantee you Legends 3 would have sold way better than that tank of a game Bionic Commando, which only sold 27,000 in it's first month and cost millions upon millions more to make. And under this thinking, both Asura's Wrath or any other new IPs don't even deserve funding, how do we know it they wont also flop. Gritty-dark-violent-man-beast games aren't even guaranteed hits anymore. Why not take a chance on something that has demand? The hype is here, more people know about Legends than ever and growing, 3DS development will be one of the cheapest platforms to develop on, so many factors are at work here that leave the possibility of a flop being relatively low, imo. Yeah Capcom's a business, but they also make games. And if you make games, every now and then you have to take a risk. If you want to make endless money forever and nothing but profit, Capcom shouldnt be in the creative industry.

All things considered, Asura's Wrath is by far a greater risk than Legends 3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Japan versus US sales LTD. JP listed first, US second. Don't ask where these are from... part of the no number begging/asking policy.

Megaman Anniversary Collection Unknown 229,859
Megaman and Bass 91,097 132,255
Megaman: Powered Up >20,000 86,619
Megaman X7 111,778 180,803
Megaman X8 35,546 115,872
Megaman X Collection Unknown 110,410
Megaman X Command Mission (PS2) 36,635 75,093
Megaman X Command Mission (GC) 18,599 Unknown
Megaman: Maverick Hunter X >20,000 191,506
Megaman Battle Network 207,288 115,924
Megaman Battle Network 2 446,939 177,699
Megaman Battle Network 3: Blue 500,001 313,992
Megaman Battle Network 3: White 169,946 276,558
Megaman Battle Network 4: Red Sun 464,425 187,313
Megaman Battle Network 4: Blue Moon 464,425 185,421
Megaman Battle Network 5: Protoman 415,630 139,561
Megaman Battle Network 5: Colonel 194,472 126,409
Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team 106,526 53,182
Megaman Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar 297,722 107,490
Megaman Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar 297,723 90,721
Megaman Battle Chip Challenge 44,864 67,398
Megaman Zero 231,166 174,036
Megaman Zero 2 158,479 145,712
Megaman Zero 3 121,847 128,200
Megaman Zero 4 74,354 77,206
Megaman Zero Collection 41,383 62,129
Megaman ZX 94,341 119,305
Megaman ZX Advent 63,977 103,675
Megaman Star Force: Leo 296,837 71,306
Megaman Star Force: Pegasus 296,838 64,220
Megaman Star Force 2: Zerker X Ninja 145,981 58,333
Megaman Star Force 2: Zerker X Saurian 145,981 46,106
Megaman Star Force 3: Black Ace 108,656 61,295
Megaman Star Force 3: Red Joker 108,656 44,283

qq more

So MMBN3 is a million seller after all...

And for the sake of comparison to MMBN4

qq more said:
So MMBN3 is a million seller after all...

And for the sake of comparison to MMBN4

Blue and White weren't simultaneous releases in Japan, one came later as an expanded/alternate release (in Japan it was Rockman.EXE 3 and Rockman.EXE 3 Black). To add them like that you'd really need to add 4.5 to 4 totals too, though it only adds about 75k.

qq more

lunchwithyuzo said:
Blue and White weren't simultaneous releases in Japan, one came later as an expanded/alternate release (in Japan it was Rockman.EXE 3 and Rockman.EXE 3 Black). To add them like that you'd really need to add 4.5 to 4 totals too, though it only adds about 75k.
Oh, didn't know that.

(And to be fair, 4.5 is a completely different game)

Zen

Banned
Maverick Hunter X actually did decently for a PSP game in America at the time, it's just a shame that the title was packed with a lot of indulgent elements that no doubt dramatically increased the cost of production. I can understand wanting to give the fans the most you can, but there was really no need to produce a 20 minute OAV, or to include all the anime cutscenes, that probably added so much more to the costs than putting in a Vile mode ever did.

I imagine if they had been a bit more conservative with spending their money, we might have gotten MHX2 and 3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kagari said:
Japan versus US sales LTD. JP listed first, US second. Don't ask where these are from... part of the no number begging/asking policy.

What policy?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
In most cases there is a definite drop in quality as each series drags on. X was an extreme example. It's pretty clear that increasingly shitty games was as big a factor as franchise fatigue. Once a series passes the point of irreparable damage that X7 caused even another X4-caliber game couldn't save it.

SwiftSketcher said:
That's just a crime. Can they even explain that? Did each copy ship with aids or something? Holy shit.
For real. Rockman Rockman rocks

..man

:p

Davey Cakes

I'm interested in the Zero/ZX sales. I notice a trend where Japan sales are greater at first but eventually become eclipsed by US sales as the series goes on.

Also, for some reason I've been thinking that a sales figure around 150K-200K, even worldwide, is pretty decent for handheld games of this yearly-release variety. Is that wrong?

Zen

Banned
Zen said:
If that was the point, than not even reaching the 40K mark with the support group only affirms Capcom's beliefs that there is not enough demand and the franchise isn't worth investing in for the time being. I hope your not alluding to any Inafune conspiracy theory either. Perhaps he was the last one keeping MM alive at Capcom and now that he's gone Capcom can do what they want, but it ends there.

As another point against this silly 'only 40k' misconception, I'd just point out that plenty of games have had 100 000 facebook likes promotions, and anything that wasn't named Call of Duty (or ToR), it took a while to get there. A few of them outright stalled and the developers lowered the required amount or released the content anyway.

Rash said:
I'm interested in the Zero/ZX sales. I notice a trend where Japan sales are greater at first but eventually become eclipsed by US sales as the series goes on.

Also, for some reason I've been thinking that a sales figure around 150K-200K, even worldwide, is pretty decent for handheld games of this yearly-release variety. Is that wrong?

Maybe, but there've been some hints that Capcom wants to shift mostly focusing only on big blockbuster games, so small but stable numbers might not be good enough for them anymore.

Sophia

Seems like the X-series games sold drastically better in the US. Interesting. I've always maintained the stance that the X series could do well here if developed and marketed right.

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:

Megaman Anniversary Collection Unknown 229,859
Megaman and Bass 91,097 132,255
Megaman: Powered Up >20,000 86,619
Megaman X7 111,778 180,803
Megaman X8 35,546 115,872
Megaman X Collection Unknown 110,410
Megaman X Command Mission (PS2) 36,635 75,093
Megaman X Command Mission (GC) 18,599 Unknown
Megaman: Maverick Hunter X >20,000 191,506
Megaman Battle Network 207,288 115,924
Megaman Battle Network 2 446,939 177,699
Megaman Battle Network 5: Protoman 415,630 139,561
Megaman Battle Network 5: Colonel 194,472 126,409
Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team 106,526 53,182
Megaman Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar 297,722 107,490
Megaman Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar 297,723 90,721
Megaman Battle Chip Challenge 44,864 67,398
Megaman Zero 231,166 174,036
Megaman Zero 2 158,479 145,712
Megaman Zero 3 121,847 128,200
Megaman Zero 4 74,354 77,206
Megaman Zero Collection 41,383 62,129
Megaman ZX 94,341 119,305
Megaman ZX Advent 63,977 103,675
Megaman Star Force: Leo 296,837 71,306
Megaman Star Force: Pegasus 296,838 64,220
Megaman Star Force 2: Zerker X Ninja 145,981 58,333
Megaman Star Force 2: Zerker X Saurian 145,981 46,106
Megaman Star Force 3: Black Ace 108,656 61,295
Megaman Star Force 3: Red Joker 108,656 44,283

Mega Man games of the PS1 era:

N64 MEGA MAN 64 127,488
PSX MEGA MAN X4 430,524
PSX MEGA MAN 8 362,095
PSX MEGA MAN LEGENDS 322,234
PSX MEGA MAN X5 303,362
PSX MEGA MAN X6 192,201
PSX MEGA MAN LEGENDS 2 155,580

I don't have japanese numbers

jett said:
Mega Man games of the PS1 era:

N64 MEGA MAN 64 127,488
PSX MEGA MAN X4 430,524
PSX MEGA MAN 8 362,095
PSX MEGA MAN LEGENDS 322,234
PSX MEGA MAN X5 303,362
PSX MEGA MAN X6 192,201
PSX MEGA MAN LEGENDS 2 155,580

I don't have japanese numbers
Wow, are those really Legends numbers? I mean they're certainly not chart toppers or anything, but everyone spoke of these games like they nearly caused the death of Capcom. Didn't even think any of them passed 150k, worldwide. Makes the total lack of confidence all the more baffling, and sad.

So this showed up today. I want it. If you do to, you can (surprise!) hit "like" or "google buzz?" it to cast a vote on which one you want to see made.

Just look at that smile:

GPxpR.png

It's like nothing was ever cancelled.

What was mega man 64 anyway? Just legends 1 but with some extra content?
Those numbers were decent , so I guess capcom just were being cock blockers canceling it :(

I'd laugh if they green lit "dark void 2" haha

jett

D-Member
friskykillface said:
What was mega man 64 anyway? Just legends 1 but with some extra content?
Those numbers were decent , so I guess capcom just were being cock blockers canceling it :(

I'd laugh if they green lit "dark void 2" haha

Straight port of MML1. Might have better controls. MML1 on PS1 is almost unplayable today due to it not supporting dual analog.

Zen

Banned
jett said:
Straight port of MML1. Might have better controls. MML1 on PS1 is almost unplayable today due to it not supporting dual analog.

Didn't Legends 1 still use the LI/R1 = rotate camera left/right? (I'm still tweaking configs and stuff so I haven't actually put Legends 1 back in my tray yet). Certainly not have dual analogue hurts it, but the controls were relatively simple to get a hold of.

I do remember that MM64 had worse sound compression.

As of today
Facebook likes: 38,181
Devroom members: 14384 Members (closing in on and will surpass Okami soon)
Serbots: Over 12 000

Eusis

jett said:
I think games like Tomb Raider have aged worse in that regard, though MML1 is far from ideal now. It'd be nice if they could at least get a light remake on Vita or something if we can't get MML3 now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jett said:
You know what? Day 1, Mega Man Legends had awkward controls. I remember everyone said this when the demo came out.

Top Bottom