• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mel Gibson to Direct ‘Lethal Weapon 5’

ManaByte

Mel Gibson is stepping behind the camera once again, this time to direct the latest — and likely final — installment of the Warner Bros. action franchise Lethal Weapon.

The project was put in limbo when director Richard Donner, who’d helmed all the Weapon movies since their inception in 1987, died in July. Donner, at 91, was working on mounting the fifth installment, which has been in development on and off for years, with screenwriters coming and going. Richard Wenk, who wrote the Denzel Washington-starring Equalizer thrillers, wrote the latest draft.

This changing of the guard had been in the works for months and was blessed, if not instigated, by Lauren Shuler Donner, the wife of Richard Donner.

According to London’s The Sun, which covered the event, Gibson said Donner “was developing the screenplay and he got pretty far along with it. And he said to me one day, ‘Listen, Kid, if I kick the bucket, you will do it.’ And I said, ‘Shut up.’

“He did indeed pass away. But he did ask me to do it and, at the time, I didn’t say anything. He said it to his wife and to the studio and the producer. So, I will be directing the fifth one.”

The Twitter reactions to this are fucking amazing.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Re-watched Lethal Weapon 1 a couple of years ago and it wasn't the greatest film. Wife had no interest in watching any of the other movies either. I will still definitely watch LW5 though and we'll probably do a watch through of the 4 original films closer to release.

I can't believe Hacksaw Ridge came out back in 2016, Gibson should be making more movies!

ManaByte

Re-watched Lethal Weapon 1 a couple of years ago and it wasn't the greatest film. Wife had no interest in watching any of the other movies either. I will still definitely watch LW5 though and we'll probably do a watch through of the 4 original films closer to release.

I can't believe Hacksaw Ridge came out back in 2016, Gibson should be making more movies!

The first is by far the weakest, Lethal 2 has the toilet bomb, and 3 is probably the best of the first three. 4 is a good ending, but if this is about Butters' kid clashing with the old guys it could be great.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mel would've starred in the thing anyway, so what's the big deal with him directing also? They can't cancel him twice!! LOL

Actually forget the casting, its a movie about HERO COPS :(

Make that triple cancellation from the blue-checks!

Last edited:

nush

Re-watched Lethal Weapon 1 a couple of years ago and it wasn't the greatest film

Now it is.

8K7ACiw.jpg

nush

The first is by far the weakest, Lethal 2 has the toilet bomb, and 3 is probably the best of the first three. 4 is a good ending, but if this is about Butters' kid clashing with the old guys it could be great.

2 is the best, 3 started the overcrowded cast soap opera feeling, 4 is straight up racist (And I thought that when I first saw it, not some current year woke crap).

Ionian

Watched the first 2 when they'd play them around Christmas time. Later bought them from a dodgy VHS vendor place. (1 & 2). Had to keep readjusting the player, those where the times, the days of dodgy knock-offs and worn out overcopied magnetic tapes being generations old copies. Never got around to 3 or 4.

His released phone-calls to one of his later wives had me nearly crying with laughter as they were so out there. As a director I've loved the films I've seen mostly, watched 'Braveheart' in the cinema when it came out, 'Apocalyto' I thought was shite but looked great, actually turned that off before the arrival of the Spanish. Loved 'The Passion of the Christ' but no interest in a rewatch for obvious reasons. A very visceral director.

I havn't watched a comedy he directed, I know he did one with Jodie Foster but after watching the trailer I just forgot about it but am curious.

dr_octagon

Banned
is that the film where he has a beaver toy to communicate? I remember seeing a trailer about it and someone made a joke about Jodie Foster 🦫

Kilau

I love these movies, 4 had some major cringe “Will it to me Riggs!” but I still enjoyed it.

I still like Mel but I’m apprehensive.

Ionian

is that the film where he has a beaver toy to communicate? I remember seeing a trailer about it and someone made a joke about Jodie Foster 🦫

Bang on the money! Had a beaver as a hand puppet he talked to. I have never watched it. :D

Was around the time she came out (in support of him) in Holywood. A ballsy move.

Stuart360

MENTAL PATIENTS WARNING

I really hate how these loons think they speak for everyone, and think they are the 'gatekeepers' of the current world.
Well i suppose they are currently, and will be until companies grow a backbone and laugh back at them, and until the silent masses get bored of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

j0hnnix

Oh damn, This is going to be fun. I wonder how violent this will be. Passion or Braveheart levels🤔

I don't care about Twitter responses, just a bunch of kids in a school stall crying.

I'm currently watching Jungle Cruise and it made me think about Apocalypto (in my top 10 films). Cannot wait to see what he does with this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Very, VERY few actors have the screen presence as Mel Gibson has, dude is very intense.

And a legit solid actor to boot. He was amazing in last year's Fatman.

Don't care what he says/does in his free time. By that logic we should "cancel" half of Hollywood, considering how many whackjobs walk around in that industry.

Ionian

Remind me again, please, what Mel did to offend.

Married a woman, didn't work out. When things went to shit she recorded his calls and used them against him in court cases and sharing them publically for attention and probably more bucks on gossip sites.

The calls are not nice (she's baiting him on them but also claims he was verbally abusive and drunk. Which he does sound both but there's no context in them, won't link for the language used but it's obvious.) You'd have to listen to them to make up your own mind. Massive payout to her.

Shunned by Holywood only to make his return afterwards. She quickly remarried someone else.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Loved his work on Passion and Apocalypto but I fucking hated Heartbreak Ridge.

Hopefully he can bounce back in my eyes.

Yeah he said some dumb shit but meh, whatever. Art from artist and all that.

Ionian

Remind me again, please, what Mel did to offend.

Married a woman, didn't work out. When things went to shit she recorded his calls and used them against him in court cases and sharing them publically for attention and probably more bucks on gossip sites.

The calls are not nice (she's baiting him on them but also claims he was abusive and drunk. Which he does sound both but there's no context in them). You'd have to listen to them to make up your own mind. Massive payout to her.

Shunned by Holywood only to make his return afterwards. She quickly remarried someone else.
Well there's audio recordings of him saying some super anti Semitic shit, there is that.

As far as I know that's mainly the issue.

Think you mean the cop he was pulled over by when drunk? Been a long time since I listened to the recordings though. The cop one is "Sugar tits".

Last edited:

Ionian

There was that but I don't think it was the only incident?

Honestly don't remember that part in the calls, just remember the racism part. There was more than one released and this is decades ago.

Probably still online somewhere. She leaked them bit-by-bit. I won't quote what I remember for obvious reasons.

Wildebeest

Mel Gibson's historical movies were total nonsense freestyle remix versions of history. Comment is free, but facts are sacred. He is a really intense actor though.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Mel Gibson's historical movies were total nonsense freestyle remix versions of history. Comment is free, but facts are sacred. He is a really intense actor though.
He didn't write them. At least not Braveheart nor Hacksaw Ridge.
I'm fine with this. Quite surprised though. I love how that one twitter twat used 'alcoholism' as some sort of attack ism. We are to cancel everyone who has fought that? Goodbye, most of Hollywood then. Including the ones twitter would weep for.

Last edited:
What? These aren’t documentaries. They’re entertainment. Do you feel the same way about Gladiator or The Last Samurai or Titanic? You sound ridiculous.

Was Titanic set in 1000 BC and captained by George Washington?
Are you upset about Land Before Time too? Ice Age get your panties in a bunch? 10,000 BC was kind of a stretch. I bet your fun to watch movies with. “Wikipedia says nothing about a Private Ryan with six brothers. Comments are free but facts are sacred.

Wildebeest

Are you upset about Land Before Time too? Ice Age get your panties in a bunch? 10,000 BC was kind of a stretch. I bet your fun to watch movies with. “Wikipedia says nothing about a Private Ryan with six brothers. Comments are free but facts are sacred.
Unlike you, who would be fun to watch movies with, because to you, facts are free, but comment is sacred. How dare anyone have any different subjective opinions to you.

Top Bottom