• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Bought a YSL t-shirt for way too much money. Don't really regret it...but it was definitely an excessive purchase...I could have bought 50 Uniqlo crew necks for the same price.

Left is the traditional location.

My theory is that since righthandedness is dominant, it made the left hand was open to check the time.

Think when carrying a briefcase or umbrella. It's much more convenient to have your watch on your left hand, which would be unencumbered.

Obviously, if you're lefty that won't be the case, but these trends develop from mass adoption and there are many more righties than lefties per genetic distribution.

Left hand is more common...but maybe just because its easier to put a watch on your 'other' hand.

One of the 'trendy' things I have seen a little bit of is wearing the watch face on the inside of the wrist rather than the outside.

giga

Really? I assumed most people wear them on the right.

(Most of my watches have the buttons on the right, which lead me to think they were intended to be worn on the right wrist.)

#newthingfortoday

Edit:

xzhMGxq.jpg

Surely you're more likely to accidentally press the buttons with the back of your hand worn like this?

I've worn watches left handed most all my life and have never had my hand accidentally hit any buttons.

SourBear

Banned
On pretty much all watches buttons & crowns are on the right side of the watch. How the hell are you going to use your left hand to hit the buttons if you wear it on your right wrist. You'd have to take the watch off the wrist. It is much easier to adjust the watch when its worn on the left hand when you have right side buttons on the watch.

Now given the above, with the knowledge that the majority of the population is right handed watch manufacturers were faced with the decision, when designing their watches, that they could either create watches for both left and right handed people, or in an effort to control costs, only design for right handed people.

Back in these days all watches were manual winders. So it was important to have an easily accessible crown.

NinjaBoiX

Nonsense, it's as easy to access the buttons on either side of the watch.
One of the 'trendy' things I have seen a little bit of is wearing the watch face on the inside of the wrist rather than the outside.
Urgh...

You know what I hate? When people wear their watches incredibly loose, so they are just swinging around their wrist all over the place. It just looks so sloppy.

You wouldn't wear a shirt that swamps you or a pair of shoes that are so big they fall off your feet, why should a Watch be any different?

It really, really irritates me, to an irrational degree. Especially when it's an expensive watch, what you paid £3k for a watch but you couldn't pay a tenner to get it sized correctly? It can't be too healthy for the internals to be left rattling around like that either.
I've worn watches left handed most all my life and have never had my hand accidentally hit any buttons.
I rarely actually hit the buttons but they certainly dig into my hand on occasion. Why not put them on the left side of the watch?

I think the loose hanging watch is a style choice. But I agree it looks awful.

Oversized/loose fitting t's and shirts are gonna be a thing this summer.

h3ro

Crown being on the right is how the majority of watches are built. I can't imagine the headache a proper handmade watch company would have to undertake to start making watches in the opposite position.

giga

If the crown is digging into your hand it might be too large.

Either way, wearing on your left is more practical for most wearers who are right handed. You can do whatever with your right hand (writing, using a mouse, etc.) and have your left hand open to quickly see the time without interrupting your right hand.

NinjaBoiX

I just think the buttons would work so much better on the other side of the watch. They'd be no harder to access (I don't understand why people think they would) and they'd be on the opposite side of where you hand hinges with your wrist.

It's a win-win.
Jeans recommendations, please?
Diesel jeans are great.

Don't get super skinny jeans (jeggings), everyone in here will agree with me I'm sure, lol.

(Seriously, you look like a girl and it's just a fad that a decent, "normal" pair of jeans will outlive.)

giga

I just think the buttons would work so much better on the other side of the watch. They'd be no harder to access (I don't understand why people think they would) and they'd be on the opposite side of where you hand hinges with your wrist.

It's a win-win.

Diesel jeans are great.

Don't get super skinny jeans (jeggings), everyone in here will agree with me I'm sure, lol.

(Seriously, you look like a girl and it's just a fad that a decent, "normal" pair of jeans will outlive.)
If I'm wearing my watch on my left hand, and the buttons are on the left, when I reach over with my right hand it would cover the dial and make it harder to see what I'm changing it to.

SourBear

Banned

Buttons it doesn't matter. If its a crown that requires you to pull on the crown to make modifications to time, date, whatever. Then it is most definitely harder to access. And as the other poster pointed out -- your hand would be covering up the watch while your trying to make alterations.

acohrs

It's a win-win.

Diesel jeans are great.

Nope, love my black super skinnies

NinjaBoiX

If I'm wearing my watch on my left hand, and the buttons are on the left, when I reach over with my right hand it would cover the dial and make it harder to see what I'm changing it to.
What? If you're pushing the buttons to switch a mode or whatever then just use your fore finger with your thumb on the other side, it's basically the natural way to do it. What, you'd do it with your palm down over the face of the watch? That's insane.

As for altering the time, you need to do this twice a year max? I'd do this when the watch was off my wrist regardless.
Buttons it doesn't matter. If its a crown that requires you to pull on the crown to make modifications to time, date, whatever. Then it is most definitely harder to access. And as the other poster pointed out -- your hand would be covering up the watch while your trying to make alterations.
Only an idiot would do this while the wearing the watch though.
Nope, love my black super skinnies
Fair enough, but to me it looks like you should be wearing them with high heels and a tube top.

giga

What? If you're pushing the buttons to switch a mode or whatever then just use your fore finger with your thumb on the other side, it's basically the natural way to do it. What, you'd do it with your palm down over the face of the watch? That's insane.

As for altering the time, you need to do this twice a year max? I'd do this when the watch was off my wrist regardless.

Fair enough, but to me it looks like you should be wearing them with high heels and a tube top.
Twice a year? Are you wearing quartz watches? I adjust my crown weekly.

And again: "Either way, wearing on your left is more practical for most wearers who are right handed. You can do whatever with your right hand (writing, using a mouse, etc.) and have your left hand open to quickly see the time without interrupting your right hand."

are you implying there's anything wrong with that?

And again: "Either way, wearing on your left is more practical for most wearers who are right handed. You can do whatever with your right hand (writing, using a mouse, etc.) and have your left hand open to quickly see the time without interrupting your right hand."
I think from the photo he posted from his watch collection that most of them are quartz, yeah

h3ro

I adjust my watch every time I slide it on. I forget to put it on my winder often and it needs to be re-set.

Also, nothing wrong with skinny jeans. If everyone dressed the same, fashion would be boring as shit. No need for the sexist comments.

NinjaBoiX

Even so, quickly adjusting your crown could be just as easily done before you put your watch on.

Yeah, I mainly buy quartz watches, I'm just not that rich mane! I only have one super expensive watch (Raymond Weil chrono).
are you implying there's anything wrong with that?
lol
Also, nothing wrong with skinny jeans. If everyone dressed the same, fashion would be boring as shit.
Yeah you're right, hardly anyone wears skinny jeans these days, it's a unique look to be sure...

giga

Even so, quickly adjusting your crown could be just as easily done before you put your watch on.

Yeah, I mainly buy quartz watches, I'm just not that rich mane! I only have one super expensive watch (Raymond Weil chrono).

lol

Yeah you're right, hardly anyone wears skinny jeans these days, it's a unique look to be sure...
Sure, but it can also be done when you're wearing it on your wrist. So in the end, who cares if it works either way?

acohrs

Nah, wear them with my supertight blue banana emo band tshirt and/or HotTopic one. Got to go full emo to complete the look

EVOL 100%

Anybody have any experience with Palladium Boots? A friend is asking about them and I know next to nothing about the company. The designs look nice enough

So with spring/summer around the corner, what are some acceptable outfits to wear outdoors? I've been trying to dress more my age this winter, and now it will be too warm to wear anything I've been wearing. I've heard wearing shorts makes you look too young?

Oxn

Neither of these pants were ever washed.

wait why? is this actually a thing people do?

I ask because i bought some really nice and expensive pants, and although their shouldnt be a problem washing it normally, im kind of hesitant doing it because of the wear and tear of washing it.

giga

that happens with all my jeans if I wear them regularly for a year. Out of curiousity, were they 100% cotton or did they have stretch fabric in them?
1st was 100% wool. 2nd had stretch.

Well, it's pretty obvious your pants are allergic to you. My condolences -_-
Ha. Well it gives me an excuse to replace these with more outlier gear.

wait why? is this actually a thing people do?

I ask because i bought some really nice and expensive pants, and although their shouldnt be a problem washing it normally, im kind of hesitant doing it because of the wear and tear of washing it.
I've never needed to wash any of my wool stuff. This pair I hadn't washed yet because they're fairly new jeans.

Oxn

how's it lookin yo

i think the shirt is too long but idk where to look for shirts designed to be untucked, especially since i'm a slim XS

Im also a slim XS, and i can say the gap ones i bought a yearor 2 ago were perfect in length for untuck.

However they changed their fit style based on what im seeing on their site so i dont know anymore.

Edit: the jcrew one i got as well, but again, that was also a year or 2 ago.

NinjaBoiX

Bought a varsity jacket from The Kooples, £300 down to £80. Don't often but clothes that were that expensive but it's such a nice garment, love it!
do you wash your clothes alot?

Neither of these pants were ever washed.
I'll never wrap my head around this concept, I'd rather just make peace with the fact that I'll have to replace my clothes occasionally rather than wearing dirty ones.

It's just insane.

acohrs

1st was 100% wool. 2nd had stretch.

Ha. Well it gives me an excuse to replace these with more outlier gear.

I've never needed to wash any of my wool stuff. This pair I hadn't washed yet because they're fairly new jeans.

Wonder if it's because it's not 100% cotton, all mine had stretch too

giga

Bought a varsity jacket from The Kooples, £300 down to £80. Don't often but clothes that were that expensive but it's such a nice garment, love it!

I'll never wrap my head around this concept, I'd rather just make peace with the fact that I'll have to replace my clothes occasionally rather than wearing dirty ones.

It's just insane.
Did you miss my last post? Because read my last post.

Oxn

Yeah I did miss that, my bad.

But still, as an idea, not washing clothes to extend their life is just gross to me. Like showering twice a week to save on soap or something.

Just to be clear, i wash all my clothes, i was just asking if he washes it too much, cause thats bad also.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member

There are professional reasons for this. I work with my hands, so wearing it this way keeps it from being damaged, and now I naturally just strap it this way all the time. I think there was some military and medical reason historically for this style.

Also John Wick does it
Keanu-Reeves-Watch-In-John-Wick-Movie-2.jpg

giga

Yeah I did miss that, my bad.

But still, as an idea, not washing clothes to extend their life is just gross to me. Like showering twice a week to save on soap or something.
I agree only to an extent. There are some natural fibers and weaves that really do not require the same amount of washing as what would be necessary for a plain cotton tee or shirt. Wool, for example, is naturally anti-microbial and odor resistant.

giga

That would be a wise decision, mate.

BTW, Outlier released a new version of the Dungarees, they called it Strong Dungarees

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/strong-dungarees.html

I'm very tempted to try a pair, but honestly... I already own way too many pants.

Decisions... decisions.

I saw! The reviews are looking really great on r/outlier but with the warm months coming up, I'm going to hold off until fall gets closer.

I saw! The reviews are looking really great on r/outlier but with the warm months coming up, I'm going to hold off until fall gets closer.

Damn, you're right. Here in the southern hemisphere, autumn is coming so those would be great. I... must... resist.

How played out are beards this season? I shave my head w/ a Bic due to hair loss and rock a beard w it to avoid looking like Moby w/ my Gucci frames. I feel like going for length again but have heard shorter beards/stubble is far more 'in'.

NinjaBoiX

How played out are beards this season? I shave my head w/ a Bic due to hair loss and rock a beard w it to avoid looking like Moby w/ my Gucci frames. I feel like going for length again but have heard shorter beards/stubble is far more 'in'.
I'd say beards are pretty played out at this point but in terms of being something that looks decent rather than "oh, it's the in thing and everyone is doing it so I guess I should jump on board", I'd say short and tidy looks good.

The long, wild, trampy bush just looks shite IMO.

acohrs

I'd say beards are pretty played out at this point but in terms of being something that looks decent rather than "oh, it's the in thing and everyone is doing it so I guess I should jump on board", I'd say short and tidy looks good.

The long, wild, trampy bush just looks shite IMO.

Speaking of beards, can anybody recommend a decent beard tonic? Mine's crap

Top Bottom