• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

CFMOORE!

I mean, I'm not very happy when I buy a tapered jean and I end up with a boot cut

lets be real here, that's not going to be the case unless you're like 5'3, in which case, the cool kids denim that only comes with 34'' inseams probably weren't meant to be. I've had 6 inches taken off jeans and most people would say my jeans are still damn slim.

I bought a pair of their stretch slim selvedge and got a basic hem done on it for free. No complaints.

I just need to get used to the wider leg opening again, having mainly worn stretch skinny jeans the last couple of years.

Not a fan. they don't keep the taper at all, ended up much wider than I wanted. haven't bought jeans from them since they only started stocking 34" and longer

I picked up the pants today and...I'm not a fan of the alteration :/ Theyre super comfortable but I hate how boxy the leg opening feels. It looks fine with boots on but with sneakers its a little goofy.

are people here not satisfied unless their ankles are being strangled by denim?

Doesnt have to be ultra tight but I like the silhouette much better when it tapers proportionally. Otherwise its gets a little boxy and goofy looking.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Okay, I think I should refrain from splurging on clothing for a while, but man, I'm already a big fan of my new pants and jacket :)

unnamed.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought this t from Maharishi. Man I love this brand so much, and it's so hard to get in Canada, they never have what I want here.

https://hbx.com/brands/maharishi/militaire-couvert-l-s-t-shirt

They make some stuff that is over-designed for my taste, but their more toned down items are just killer. Always a unique cut, and this season they have some really nice bright colors like Yeezy season 3 had, and the quality is great. I always appreciate brands that are original (even if often copied).

Also tried the Aime Leon Dore kimono cardigan recently. It was too loose in the back, giving a sort of triangular silhouette when seen from the side. Didn't think I could get this tailored so I just returned it, but it looked really nice otherwise, if it had a proper fit it would have been a killer cardigan with a unique cut.

Here in navy:

And don't get my started on the recent John Elliott releases, awesome stuff, all unaffordable.

edit: Oh and checkout Fanmail if you don't know them, the fabrics they use is great. I got two "sherpa" sweaters from them. Not pictured here, recent sweat release I'm planning to cop:

Quick

Banned
Anyone else suck at pinrolling their pants?

Tried pinrolling on skinny jeans (more like a super slim) and I had to keep fixing it all day. It also looked bunched up on the sides where I pinch and roll the fabric.

giga

Anyone else suck at pinrolling their pants?

Tried pinrolling on skinny jeans (more like a super slim) and I had to keep fixing it all day. It also looked bunched up on the sides where I pinch and roll the fabric.

Are you making the first side fold too tight? Leave some slack. And are you making sure to fold up twice?

any solid watch recommendations for those with smaller wrists? been looking to pick up something nice but I'm wary of the fit. don't want the face hanging over my wrist / strap to feel too loose.

additionally, picked up some simple beige NB 247s since I wanted a pair of white sneakers for the summer. magic eraser still the best way to keep something like these clean? thanks

giga

any solid watch recommendations for those with smaller wrists? been looking to pick up something nice but I'm wary of the fit. don't want the face hanging over my wrist / strap to feel too loose.

additionally, picked up some simple beige NB 247s since I wanted a pair of white sneakers for the summer. magic eraser still the best way to keep something like these clean? thanks
What price

Quick

Banned
I have two Pistol Lake henleys - short and long sleeve.

It's snug on me, being a size smaller. I don't have the body to pull it off, so it's relegated to undershirt/under layer status.

BizzyBum

So I'm trying to update my fashion game (just posted in the sneakers thread too) and I have a question: how hit or miss is buying clothing online?

I know the OP has a ton of links but I'm pretty lazy and hate spending a day at a mall trying out clothes which is one of the reasons I never buy anything. I'm currently looking to get a bunch of things for summer: shorts, jeans, graphic tees, maybe a light jacket for colder nights.

What's a good online shop that's not too expensive?

So I'm trying to update my fashion game (just posted in the sneakers thread too) and I have a question: how hit or miss is buying clothing online?

I know the OP has a ton of links but I'm pretty lazy and hate spending a day at a mall trying out clothes which is one of the reasons I never buy anything. I'm currently looking to get a bunch of things for summer: shorts, jeans, graphic tees, maybe a light jacket for colder nights.

Frank + Oak will always be a staple of fast-fashiion for me.

I rotate mostly between them, TJ Maxx, and Macy's. Lots of essentials, not too eccentric, and not too basic. The combination has really allowed me to explore, and expand, my personal fashion sense without coming across as a try-hard or breaking the bank.

Others will recommend uniqlo.
I've recently been drooling over some threads on Amazon though, tbh.

got the henley, I really like it! what do you lot think

it's a little baggy towards the bottom but that happens with every shirt I wear because of how skinny I am. overall I still think it fits well as the sleeve length is perfect and the shoulders/collar fit nicely in my opinion.

Quick

Banned

I'd say if you have the option, suck it up and try stuff on. At least you can see how well clothes fit you, but if you're adamant on buying online, take the time to measure yourself.

From that point, you know your measurements, just check sizing charts and you should be okay.

EVOL 100%

I pretty much buy clothes nearly exclusively online these days. Once you know your measurements, it's hard to fuck up. Sometimes jackets come with sleeves that are too long, but that's because my arms are short, and getting sleeves tailored is dirt cheap anyway.

As for cheap online stores, I gather that some people hate ASOS here, but I find them pretty good. Out of several purchases, I only had one bad experience and that was more my fault than anything.

Uniqlo is great for basics

got the henley, I really like it! what do you lot think

it's a little baggy towards the bottom but that happens with every shirt I wear because of how skinny I am. overall I still think it fits well as the sleeve length is perfect and the shoulders/collar fit nicely in my opinion.

Great fit, but I always thought that you have to be pretty buff to make henry collars work. Just my opinion tho

Great fit, but I always thought that you have to be pretty buff to make henry collars work. Just my opinion tho

I do agree that they look best on muscular guys, but I wouldn't say it looks bad on me. The fabric feels so nice that I would probably still wear it even if it didn't fit me as well as it does.

EVOL 100%

I do agree that they look best on muscular guys, but I wouldn't say it looks bad on me. The fabric feels so nice that I would probably still wear it even if it didn't fit me as well as it does.
Yeah, it still looks pretty good on you. I like the color

Also I just learned that they were called henley collars, not henry collars. Embarrassing

Also I just learned that they were called henley collars, not henry collars. Embarrassing

I like the color too. I never realized it but burgundy goes really well with almost everything else in my wardrobe (ex. khaki chinos, navy chinos, olive chinos, white sneakers)

Ifrit

Any good watch recommendations? budget around $100, could be a little more if it's really nice.

Also looking for some cheap but nice bracelets and necklaces, any advice?

I would feel extra second-hand embarrassment for you if you ever said that to an Asian person. Could be construed as insensitive with the L/R pronunciation.

Any good watch recommendations? budget around $100, could be a little more if it's really nice.

Also looking for some cheap but nice bracelets and necklaces, any advice?
What sort of watch do you want? Dive watch? Dress watch? Field watch? Aviation watch? Ect? Also do you want automatic movement or quartz?

Until I have this info I can't give a more detailed recommendation other than avoid fashion watches.

Oxn

Just bought a tailored fit chino from Bonobos. God i hope its worth the $100 i paid.

Wow, this is the most balanced, well crafted, best fitting pair of pants i have ever worn. Bonobos clothes don't have any flairs to it, but It does everything right in its simplicity. Also the best waist button ever made. How are other companies not doing this?

Is it $100 good? Yes, but that doesnt mean you should pay $100. Buy the sale items.

Ifrit

What sort of watch do you want? Dive watch? Dress watch? Field watch? Aviation watch? Ect? Also do you want automatic movement or quartz?

Until I have this info I can't give a more detailed recommendation other than avoid fashion watches.

Don't know much about watches, was looking for a good option if I dress well or casual.

But looking up your descriptions, I would say a dress watch, preferably quartz since it seems more accurate but I don't really mind of its automatic movement. I'm not giving it a specific use beyond that, so if it's a dive or aviator watch that looks good, I'd be ok with that too.

Don't know much about watches, was looking for a good option if I dress well or casual.

But looking up your descriptions, I would say a dress watch, preferably quartz since it seems more accurate but I don't really mind of its automatic movement. I'm not giving it a specific use beyond that, so if it's a dive or aviator watch that looks good, I'd be ok with that too.
At that price range look at Tissot everytime collection. Swiss quality, and can be worn with pretty much everything. Then, once you purchase that never look at watches again, you'll thank me later.

Honorable mentions, seiko 5 collection, and Orient bambino. These are japanese autos but very good value for the money. Although, the orients are a few dollars above budget.

Ifrit

At that price range look at Tissot everytime collection. Swiss quality, and can be worn with pretty much everything. Then, once you purchase that never look at watches again, you'll thank me later.

Honorable mentions, seiko 5 collection, and Orient bambino. These are japanese autos but very good value for the money. Although, the orients are a few dollars above budget.

That's pretty informative LeroyPantwether, I'll follow your advice and give them a look, thank you very much

proto

Picture's may not do it justice but these pants from Frank & Oak fit like a glove, they have a slight stretch to them which makes it ultra comfortable.

u5tKQGb.jpg

Bruh I'm definitely looking into these.

I just started realizing how tight and uncomfortable all my clothes are. I used to be able to handle it I can literally feel the strain on my pelvis when I wear my favorite chinos.

LuffyZoro

What are some good, cheap options for summer pants? I'm going to be working in a lab this summer so I can't wear shorts, and I'm in Houston so I don't want to die of heat.

kiyomi

What are some good, cheap options for summer pants? I'm going to be working in a lab this summer so I can't wear shorts, and I'm in Houston so I don't want to die of heat.

Some kind of lightweight chinos with a somewhat relaxed fit, I would say. Wish I could recommend you some specific brands; I need some myself. Maybe Bonobos, Uniqlo, Banana Republic?

Oxn

Some kind of lightweight chinos with a somewhat relaxed fit, I would say. Wish I could recommend you some specific brands; I need some myself. Maybe Bonobos, Uniqlo, Banana Republic?

If you guys read above on the same page, i highly suggest the bonobos chinos. They are quite expensive though, but it is sooo comfortable, light, and great quality.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

The skinny cropped chinos I got at Topman recently are light, very comfy, and were around $50

Top Bottom