• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

I have a black, navy, olive from season seven that are thin, and a washed jade one and a gray one also from season seven that are thicker. Co mixed is also thicker. It varies a lot.

Really I think RC is the best recommendation I can make, but they're not cheap either. No flashy colors though. But JE's styles and colours are my favourites.

I love the deep purple color JE offers.

COTTON_CLASSIC_CREW_PURPLE_06.jpg

sogood.gif

i'm thinking of trying the outlier 60/30 chino but damn they're expensive. $257?!

according to some reviews i've seen, they're as comfy as sweatpants... but... money .-.

Oxn

These Cole Haan high top sneakers which i have been eyeing for months finally went on sale. 170 dropped to 80.

C25695_E.jpg

I have the low top version and they are very nice looking and comfy too.

goodies arrived

basically having to rebuy all my clothing cause I've gotten big fat and strong since I've started strength training. kinda sucks when you have a taste for pricey clothing :\

on the bright side, big sizes are some of the last ones to sell out when designer clothes go on sale, so this could be a blessing in disguise for you!

NinjaBoiX

sogood.gif

i'm thinking of trying the outlier 60/30 chino but damn they're expensive. $257?!

according to some reviews i've seen, they're as comfy as sweatpants... but... money .-.

These Cole Haan high top sneakers which i have been eyeing for months finally went on sale. 170 dropped to 80.

C25695_E.jpg

I have the low top version and they are very nice looking and comfy too.

goodies arrived

basically having to rebuy all my clothing cause I've gotten big fat and strong since I've started strength training. kinda sucks when you have a taste for pricey clothing :
I like all these things.

What is happening?

on the bright side, big sizes are some of the last ones to sell out when designer clothes go on sale, so this could be a blessing in disguise for you!

Haha this is true sometimes. Depends what brands and styles you're into. Seems like with workwear/vintage reproductions I've noticed the standard medium or size 40 is always the first to go along with the XS and XXXL which usually there were very few of in the first place. All the other larges is anyones guess before they go but the XXL will usually float a little long which is what I am :D

sogood.gif

I'd say they are even more comfy. I know, it sounds like I'm crazy, but I'm telling the truth. Those chinos are made of a fabric Outlier calls true 4-way stretch.

The fit is overall slim, not as slim as the Dungarees though, but the fabric is so "elastic" that you can raise your legs or do a squat and despite being a fit noticeably more "snug" -compared to a sweatpant- you never feel any kind of movement restriction. It's incredible.

I'd say they are even more comfy. I know, it sounds like I'm crazy, but I'm telling the truth. Those chinos are made of a fabric Outlier calls true 4-way stretch.

The fit is overall slim, not as slim as the Dungarees though, but the fabric is so "elastic" that you can raise your legs or do a squat and despite being a fit noticeably more "snug" -compared to a sweatpant- you never feel any kind of movement restriction. It's incredible.

I certainly hope they're comfortable. I just bought a pair in WARM GRAY because they were on sale for $217 instead of $267 like all the other colors.

Probably gonna be another return but I want to try them out before I write them off. I prefer chinos over jeans any day so if they're good enough to justify the price I may keep them (though the color isn't doing them any favors).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

sogood.gif

I bought the classic tee in purple, forest, and mustard. Waiting on them.

I got some Rag & Bone jeans that are stretchy and they are the most comfortable jeans I ever had. Really looking for that same fabric now when I buy jeans.

I certainly hope they're comfortable. I just bought a pair in WARM GRAY because they were on sale for $217 instead of $267 like all the other colors.

Probably gonna be another return but I want to try them out before I write them off. I prefer chinos over jeans any day so if they're good enough to justify the price I may keep them (though the color isn't doing them any favors).

You said you found the Dungarees comfortable. Well, compared to the 60/30 Chinos, the Dungarees are uncomfortable.

I own the Dungarees, 60/30 Chinos, Futureworks, and when it comes to rate them according to how comfortable they are, I'd say:

Chinos
Futureworks (these ones are 2-way stretch, not as good as the chinos but still pretty great)
Dungarees

I haven't tried other Outlier pants so I can't comment on them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
which rag and bone jean did you get?

I think it was called the standard issue fit. Tried to find the email but couldn't. I need to take a habit of saving measurements and fabrics from my purchases.

EVOL 100%

Uh, is Black Rabbit dead? Their homepage has been showing a suspended page for a few days, and they haven't updated their Facebook page since last year.

This sucks, I was looking forward to get some more stuff from them.

Edit: This is their latest Instagram update, made 2 months ago

What ever happens.. the Rabbit will always be around..
Ominous.

I kinda want to pick up one of those apolis wool chore coats but I feel like that's more of a workwear thing and I only ever wear chinos and sneakers...

giga

My first pair was a 60/30 but after they faded (a known issue) and the price was jacked up, I just can't justify them anymore. I'm all about that SD (and soon, StD when it gets colder) life now.

My first pair was a 60/30 but after they faded (a known issue) and the price was jacked up, I just can't justify them anymore. I'm all about that SD (and soon, StD when it gets colder) life now.

Oh, I didn't know about that, do you have a specific link about it?

I hand wash all my pants and so far no fade in any of my Outliers pants. I have two 60/30 in both mustard and dark blue and both of them look great after two years. I have to say... I don't wear them often, cause my main pants are the Dungarees, but after two years I should be seeing some wearing.

I guess I'm extremely gentle when I wash them :D

Anyways, thanks for the heads up.

And yeah, I wish all Outlier pants were I don't know... $50 cheaper.

EDIT: I've googled about the fading and I see some reddit links about. I'm about to read them.

PS: StD? what's that?

do you think the runweight merino tees from outlier would work for casual use? i.e. walking around campus, wearing to class, super low intensity stuff like that.

i would like to buy two super high quality durable t-shirts (1 light, 1 dark) and just alternate between them forever.

not forever, but you know. at least 1-2 years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There is one brand I'd like to get some sweaters from, not well known it seems, but it's rarely sold in Canada and quite expensive, so I have to wait for sales on Canadian stores usually. Fanmail

I have two "sherpa" sweaters for the winter, but I like some of their latest releases, especially their orange "carnelian" color. At least if I buy them from US stores the fees aren't too high since it's made in the US (thanks NAFTA, while you last).

do you think the runweight merino tees from outlier would work for casual use? i.e. walking around campus, wearing to class, super low intensity stuff like that.

i would like to buy two super high quality durable t-shirts (1 light, 1 dark) and just alternate between them forever.

not forever, but you know. at least 1-2 years.

Totally. I have the runweight, ultrafine merino, GD cottonweight merino.

All of them, overall, look the same (after all they are basic tees).

runweight: very very light, perfect for hot seasons. The fabric kinda looks silky, a bit shiny, not much, just a bit.

Ultrafine: Thicker, not shiny. It works good both during hot and cold seasons.

GD cottonweight: This is like two fabrics "glued" together, because of that, it's even thicker than the Ultrafine, it's not shiny. I like it, but for some reason I don't wear it that much. To a degree, I feel it's not worth having it, if you already have the Ultrafine.

Because of the above, the Ultrafine is my fav, but all of them for sure work perfectly for casual use.

Just be careful when washing them (any of them), they are delicate. I made the mistake of wash my first ultrafine in the washing machine and after a couple of cycles, it began to show some pilling, not to the point to look bad, but I didn't want to find out how many more wash cycles it would need to look like crap.

Totally. I have the runweight, ultrafine merino, GD cottonweight merino.

All of them, overall, look the same (after all they are basic tees).

runweight: very very light, perfect for hot seasons. The fabric kinda looks silky, a bit shiny, not much, just a bit.

Ultrafine: Thicker, not shiny. It works good both during hot and cold seasons.

GD cottonweight: This is like two fabrics "glued" together, because of that, it's even thicker than the Ultrafine, it's not shiny. I like it, but for some reason I don't wear it that much. To a degree, I feel it's not worth having it, if you already have the Ultrafine.

Because of the above, the Ultrafine is my fav, but all of them for sure work perfectly for casual use.

Just be careful when washing them (any of them), they are delicate. I made the mistake of wash my first ultrafine in the washing machine and after a couple of cycles, it began to show some pilling, not to the point to look bad, but I didn't want to find out how many more wash cycles it would need to look like crap.

do you think I could get year round use out of the runweights if I bought 2 of them?

also, how do you wash them? in the sink, by rinsing and wringing, then hang dry?

do you think I could get year round use out of the runweights if I bought 2 of them?

Sorry, mate, I can't comment on that. This is the thing...

Back in the day, when I was trying to learn as much as possible about dressing better, I bought a book from Esquire called Handbook of Style, and when talking about basic tees, it says something like: "out there, there is a perfect basic tee for every man. When you've found it, buy tons of it." That advice got stuck with me forever lol and when I found mine (the vintage Levis I talked about in a previous post) I just did that, I bought several of them.

So, I don't own a tee that I wear day after day and gets washed very often.

I'm pretty sure if you google about it you'll find some comments in that regard (most probably in reddit).

also, how do you wash them? in the sink, by rinsing and wringing, then hang dry?

Yeah in the sink or the tube, warm water, detergent that's it, nothing really special. Just don't wring it like when you twist a towel like this...

39592410-handen-knijpen-natte-doek-tegen-de-blauwe-hemel.jpg

Instead, I just squeeze it, like making a "ball" with the tee, pressing with both hands. Also, my tees never end being "dirty", when I wash them, mostly I just need to get rid of body odor, so I don't really do anything special when I put it in the sink, I just agitate the water and leave the tee there for 15 minutes or so.

Mainly, I was referring to not use a machine wash, I think even if you choose a delicate cycle mode, it's still too rough for the fabric. Better to be sure (considering how expensive Outlier items are).

Oxn

Oh, I didn't know about that, do you have a specific link about it?

I hand wash all my pants and so far no fade in any of my Outliers pants. I have two 60/30 in both mustard and dark blue and both of them look great after two years. I have to say... I don't wear them often, cause my main pants are the Dungarees, but after two years I should be seeing some wearing.

I guess I'm extremely gentle when I wash them :D

Anyways, thanks for the heads up.

And yeah, I wish all Outlier pants were I don't know... $50 cheaper.

EDIT: I've googled about the fading and I see some reddit links about. I'm about to read them.

PS: StD? what's that?

Since the 2 of you are the resident Outlier experts, i got a question on the slim dungarees.

Have any of you experienced pilling on the inside of the pants, particularly where it rubs together like with your underwear, or your socks? Cause i found this image online when i was doing research.

it seems that the super softness of the inside is susceptible to pilling.

Since the 2 of you are the resident Outlier experts, i got a question on the slim dungarees.

Have any of you experienced pilling on the inside of the pants, particularly where it rubs together like with your underwear, or your socks? Cause i found this image online when i was doing research.

it seems that the super softness of the inside is susceptible to pilling.

I just checked that and no, mines don't show any pilling in any area. Since the picture is real, obviously it happens, but I'm not sure what would be the reason. I was tempted to say the way those people wash them, but if that would be the case, the pilling should be everywhere and it looks that it happens only in certain areas, where there is "friction".

Oxn

I just checked that and no, mines don't show any pilling in any area. Since the picture is real, obviously it happens, but I'm not sure what would be the reason. I was tempted to say the way those people wash them, but if that would be the case, the pilling should be everywhere and it looks that it happens only in certain areas, where there is "friction".

The guy explained it and he said it was pilling from cuffing the legs.

I dont cuff my pants, but since it can pill from cuffing, maybe it can also pill from rubbing on other cotton, likes socks.

The guy explained it and he said it was pilling from cuffing the legs.

I dont cuff my pants, but since it can pill from cuffing, maybe it can also pill from rubbing on other cotton, likes socks.

Well, for what it's worth, I always wear my pants with socks, and as I said, my dungarees show zero pilling.

EDIT: I never cuff my pants.

still mulling over the t-shirt thing...

do you think if I took care of them and only wore them casually, I could get a year and a half (or so) out of 2 Outlier runweight tees?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is it me instinctively feeling it's going to be trendy to button up your shirt all the way up, or is it just me and it ain't happening? I tried it recently and it just felt like I had to do it.

would the UFT be worth the extra money over the runweight if I'm not going to be using the runweights for running?

or are the runweights way better in the summer?

The runweights are super thin, so yes, they are better for summer, but don't you plan to wear them all year? during the cold season... I don't know, it would be like you're not wearing anything xD

That's one of the reasons why the ultrafine are my favourites, they work well in every season, but if we talk strictly about the hotter season, nothing beats the runweights.

Is it me instinctively feeling it's going to be trendy to button up your shirt all the way up, or is it just me and it ain't happening? I tried it recently and it just felt like I had to do it.

I don't care if it becomes trendy or not. Buttoning up your shirt all the way up, for me, is for when you're wearing a tie, otherwise I don't think it looks good at all.

The runweights are super thin, so yes, they are better for summer, but don't you plan to wear them all year? during the cold season... I don't know, it would be like you're not wearing anything xD

That's one of the reasons why the ultrafine are my favourites, they work well in every season, but if we talk strictly about the hotter season, nothing beats the runweights.

I don't care if it becomes trendy or not. Buttoning up your shirt all the way up, for me, is for when you're wearing a tie, otherwise I don't think it looks good at all.

Well, in the colder seasons I wouldn't wear any sort of t-shirt by itself.

So you think the ultrafine tees are worth the price? How do they fit? I'm 5'8" and ~130 lbs so big sleeve holes are a problem for me.

Well, in the colder seasons I wouldn't wear any sort of t-shirt by itself.

So you think the ultrafine tees are worth the price? How do they fit? I'm 5'8" and ~130 lbs so big sleeve holes are a problem for me.

Sorry, I don't get why big sleeve holes are a problem?

Anyways, I'm almost 5'8", skinny, and a SMALL size fits me perfectly. The fit I'd say is regular, not slim but not super relaxed either.

On me, the UF looks like this...

106-Outlier-UltrafineMerinoTshirt-pure.jpg

I think the higher price is mostly related to the tee being thicker (I could be wrong). So my answer would be, yes, it's worth the price.

EDIT: Ah ok, I just paid attention about your weight, you're very skinny. I'm around 149 lbs. Hmmm... I just measured one of my UF and the sleeves holes are around 16 cms.

Alucrid

Banned

it's been a thing for a while now. i wouldn't say the thing, but certainly a thing. i think it can look alright.

AOCTAxUl.jpg

Top Bottom